Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:25 am

:shrug:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:42 am

:? ((Scratches head))

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:58 am

I was responding to Maji's bitter nonsense about trying to turn zephyr into a creature using polymorph.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:31 am

Ah, thought you were responding to NSF about Coljin getting new armor. That makes more sense.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:38 pm

Thinks, Dornikal isn't ignoring Tess things just got a bit busy!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:09 pm

It's totally fine, Zephyr literally never responds to Nem so I'm pretty used to it :lol:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Nows a pretty good time to barbeque some orcs. :D

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:04 pm

If you're talking about the mini-nuke, I don't know that Randy could pitch it that far and it would be at disadvantage to hit. He's still going to be about 170 feet out at the end of his turn. Plus there the potential for collateral damage. Some of Dornikal's crew would probably be incinerated with a near hit. Holger, on the other hand, can start fire bombing them...provided they're in line of sight.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:00 am

"An improvised thrown weapon has a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet."

Of course, you're not rolling to hit exactly, but 170 ft is a long way to chuck a pebble accurately. I'll likely still have you make an attack when you do use it, whenever that is to guage placement. Let's say you can attempt within 90 ft of the point you want to hit.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:21 am

A little off of subject, but I think we've just proved that Zephyr and Randy are negatives of each other. Randy just spent the last several rounds trying to pick a fight with the orcs (as a distraction), going as far as to shoot one, and couldn't get any takers. Zephyr just peaks her head over the edge, and all hell breaks loose! Next time we want to start a fight, we'll send Zephyr! :lol:

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:22 am

Something about being a devil woman.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:10 am

BadgeAddict wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:22 am Something about being a devil woman.
No she's just a negative representation of one. :p

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:13 am

You need to be nicer to me you. :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:23 am

BadgeAddict wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:09 am fairly sure you need permission to turn a party member into something without their permission
BadgeAddict wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:58 am I was responding to Maji's bitter nonsense about trying to turn zephyr into a creature using polymorph.
Just a few comments on this topic from my side.

* Mechanically, unwilling creatures get to make a WIS save to negate the effects.

In terms of party dynamics, it IS generally considered Bad Form™ to attempt to force another player's character to do something against their will. That being said, it can come up, and I'm not going to forbid such interactions... just keep in mind that there may be consequences both in and out of game. But it is that, a game, and something that hopefully we are all enjoying (even when it isn't 'fun' in a strict sense). If you're taking actions against another player's character, keep that in mind... is it interesting? Does it make the game more enjoyable or richer?

Attacking another character or taking aggressive action shouldn't be common... though as I'm typing this...
► Show Spoiler
...and if it makes narrative sense for it to happen, might be the sort of thing for the players involved to talk out OOC.

Speaking more generally, some things can be handled by opposed rolls, two characters wrestling, a character lying to another, etc.

For Persuasion, however, I tend to like to leave that a bit more to RP... if your character would be persuaded by the argument of the other person, go with it. If the argument doesn't hold up, you're not beholden to it. IF the persuader wishes to roll Persuasion on the attempt, I'll allow it, but more as flavoring and not ask for a opposing check... If A is trying to persuade B and rolls well, but is asking B to do something against their nature, then they asked charmingly, but B can still say no. NPCs will tend to stay closer to the rolls when it comes to social interactions, but if Randy tried to persuade Buckleburry to burn his shop down, the halfling still isn't going to do it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:37 am

Yeah...several of us have witnessed Maji's unwanted grappling.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:58 am

At my table(s), I basically require both parties to consent to PvP OOC before it happens, and if it becomes a longer-running thing, I'll get buy-in from the rest of the table too.

Watching people argue constantly IC is not everyone's idea of fun.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:11 am

There's always this nice collection of rocks I've been saving, should it get too toxic and out of hand :D , but yeah, both parties being willing participants with the goal of furthering... something... is the ideal.

If one person is being forced into it, that's no good.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:30 am

Please don't kill us, I just got here :shock:

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:38 am

Hmmmm....
Just how squishy is Dornakil? I mean under normal circumstances.

Spider, if I calculate correctly, if Randy takes 30 feet movement first next round and then fires, he should be out from under disadvantage? I believe the cut off for long bow is 150 ft.?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:44 am

About as squishy as a brick wall, with plans to add rebar re-enforcement. ;)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:53 am

Lurks_In_Shadows wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:38 am Spider, if I calculate correctly, if Randy takes 30 feet movement first next round and then fires, he should be out from under disadvantage? I believe the cut off for long bow is 150 ft.?
Yes, if you move, then fire, you will avoid range based disadvantage (though it could be in place for other reasons, eg, dodging).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:56 am

Also minor detail, but I'd like Ulmwin to start moving up as well, doesn't seem super useful to keep taking potshots from so long range as that every attack will be at disadvantage :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:05 am

Yes, you were hidden behind the rock until now holding a shot. It's now your turn, so you can move up 25 and fire, or dash 50 and not shoot this round.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:06 am

spiderwrangler wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:11 am There's always this nice collection of rocks I've been saving, should it get too toxic and out of hand :D
yes, it would be a shame if they were to... unexpectedly fall :lol:

More talking IC and OOC from everyone as necessary is always good to keep people on the same page :)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:10 am

@Badge - there seems to be something wrong with the group page on the character sheets for Dornikal's line. I would guess it is calling the wrong cells for the skill checks as Dornikal has become usually good at Arcana checks!