The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Theis2 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:56 pm

"Sure, I can give that a go. What kind of performance are you going to do?"

Holger thinks briefly about their response before nodding and going up on the stage thinking of a performance that may be fitting as a warm up.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:58 pm

Maji'ah'l waits patiently for food to come.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:42 pm

*Ulmwin*

I'll handle things at the South stage once I have a roll for Nemeia.

*Randerwaith*
"For the lot? Tell you what, you pop over to the Chalice and bring me back a mutton lunch, and we'll call it a flat 11gp. If you've the time, of course. If you'd care to join me for lunch, I've a bottle of red that's been waiting to be shared with a friend? You can tell me of your recent travels if you'd like..."
► Show Spoiler

*Holger*
The pair give you a surprised look and glance at each other before one speaks up.

"We're tumblers, we do all sorts of feats of agility, juggle, that sort of thing."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:55 pm

Persuasion: 1D20+2 = [14]+2 = 16

OOC: Yeah m0rt, she was largely just brazening her way on through :)

Nemeia smiles happily at the gentlemanly gnome and laughs,
"There doesn't seem to be any sense in performing alone when we can pool our talents and REALLY get the crowd going! Let's warm them up with something celebratory! Do you know the tune to Midsummer's Dance*?"

She clears her throat before continuing, "Oh - and since you are such a gentleman, I propose that we split any takings from our duet 50-50! In fact, I will make the same offer to anyone else who wishes to take me up on it. I can draw quite a crowd when I put my mind to it." She raises an eyebrow suggestively at the gathered artistes and walks confidently onto the stage.

-----------------------------------------

*Or other generic, well-known song :)

EDIT: JUst saw spider's post. Regardless of whether she receives an offer from Ulmwin or not, she'll make the same general offer to the crowd to share the stage and split their earnings.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:14 pm

*Nemeia & Ulmwin*
There are a few performers who seem less than pleased, but the elf laughs.

"The gnome beat me fair, if he wants to split the stage, he's welcome to it!"

Go ahead and give me first Perception checks, and then Performance rolls for Ulmwin and Nemeia.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:25 pm

"Of course I do! I'd be a terrible bard if I didn't know midsummers dance! It's just a shame I only have a lute on me, it's a song more fit for a blowing instrument... But it'll work!"

"And such a gracious offer! And here I was thinking of only performing some background music while you stole the show... Guess I'll have to put my foot forward then!"
Ulmwin says- Beginning to play, almost at his very best level...

Perception: 1D20+1 = [18]+1 = 19
Performance: 1D20+4 = [17]+4 = 21

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:30 pm

Here you go:

Perception / Performance: 1D20+4 = [16]+4 = 20
1D20+4 = [10]+4 = 14

Nemeia starts her performance, but is slightly confused by the different gnomish version of the familiar tune and she doesn't quite pull it off as well as she hoped...

OOC: I have proficiency in both those skills, so I added my ability modifiers (+2 for both) and my proficiency bonus (+2) to both rolls. Hope that's right?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:50 pm

*Nemeia & Ulmwin*
The music starts slowly, as as Ulmwin plucks ethereal notes from the stings of his lute. Similarly, Nemeia begins in a graceful pose, moving fluidly as the pace picks up. Nemeia adjusts the the slight gnomish variation, and Ulmwin picks up on her hesitancy with certain parts and compensates accordingly. The performance seems to be evoking positive emotions from the crowd, as festival goers step forward to drop coppers into your bucket. As Nemeia finishes a flowing spin, her gaze falls upon the elf who is watching her carefully, a calculating expression on his face. As she falters slightly, Ulmwin follows her eyes and sees the elf as well. Nemeia recovers and together you finish out the performance, bowing to the applause of the crowd and other performers by the west set of steps... the elf joins in the applause late, but the odd look has been replaced by the same easy grin he had been sporting earlier.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:53 pm

Randerwaith grins. "How can I refuse such generous terms? I'll be back with enough for us both. Get your wine ready." He starts back towards the Chalice to fetch lunch for both Buckleburry and himself.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:32 pm

Nemeia is surprised by the elf's penetrating stare and curses herself for letting it alarm her so much. She checks her disguise is still in place (perception check)?
In case you want it: _: 1D20+4 = [19]+4 = 23

She clears her throat, and speaks loudly to Ulmwin (so her voice carries):
"Well, now we're just warming up! What shall we perform next? What about the Ballad of Jack the Thief? That's always fun and lively for a festival!"

She turns to the crowd to see if they approve of her suggestion.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:55 pm

Ulmwin just smiles, sitting in the background- He won't object against playing another song, leaving how long she wants to stay on up to the miss... For now, at least.

He does find the elf's stare rather odd... Was something wrong? Didn't seem like it.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:09 pm

*Ulmwin & Nemeia*
Nemeia, you notice that you're disguise has gotten a bit off, though you're not sure when. It's still plenty good to keep most folks in the dark, but not perfect.

When you propose another number, the crowd seems up for it, but there is some grumbling from the waiting performers.

((I'd say that would probably be more of an investigation check, but either way you topped your own DC.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 pm

(Ok, I'll make it investigation in the future then! Do you want another performance check or are we just doing one for the whole show?)

Nemeia clears her throat and strikes her starting pose. Smiling warmly at the other performers, she calls out: "Join in if you know this one!"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:31 pm

If you're doing another, each of you give me another performance check.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:32 pm

Getting into the groove of things, Ulmwin's performance only improves... He's more than happy to do one more- Let the other performers grumble a bit- Their loss to grumble rather than enjoy it... Not like they won't get their own chance soon enough!

_: 1D20+4 = [19]+4 = 23
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:00 pm

Pushing my luck...: 1D20+4 = [10]+4 = 14
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:49 pm

---"Ah, a Beaumont then? That may pull more wagers your way... though I imagine you're not typically trying to stuff mutton in your face as fast as you can back home. Anyway, I think you'll find the mutton at the Chalice as good as any you've eaten!"----

"Aye, Rudolph Beaumont. It's been a while since i've had to scoff down my mutton but there were the days when grabbing the food before my siblings got the best bits was quite common, especially that year of the blight when half the flock were taken. Still the betters may be surprised at how much I can actually eat! Though that scaly fellow and the toothy one look like some tough challengers."

After he finishes his sign up he heads towards the bench and plonks his arse down enjoying the wafting smell of mutton and starts building up an appetite.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:02 pm

*Rudolph*
As you finish checking in and the halfling begins closing his book, an out of breath dwarf comes running up, apparently still trying to fasten his belt.

"WAIT FOR ME! I.. huff, huff... overslept. Huff... Borin Grimrock... huff."

The halfling chuckles.
"Yes Borin, I out drank you last night, but I guess you don't remember. I'm surprised you woke up before dark!"

Once the dwarf is checked in, Dorbo turns and addresses the gathered crowd.

*Rudolph, Maji'ah'l, Coljin*

"Alright folks, listen up and I'll introduce today's contestants! First up we have Derrk the farmer. Bhen, the blacksmith." Two of the humans stand when their names are called and wave to the crowd. Derrk is rather tough and wiry, and looks to be in his mid fifties. Bhen is about ten years younger, and heavily muscled.

"We've got Jenaal, who let me know that she traveled here just to beat you all at this contest!" A slender human female stands up, an some of the crowd whoops it up at her boast. She just nods politely and waves.

"Our dragonborn friend is... Maaji'aah'el, who is willing to waste no time in speech to keep his jaws fresh for mutton! My cousins, Bendel and Rendel... don't bother trying to tell which is which, I can't tell either. We'll seat them on opposite benches for voting purposes though!" The two halflings stand and wave.

"Rounding out our competition is Gork of the River Clan, Coljin Burberry, our hungry gnome and Rudolph Beaumont, an fellow who knows good mutton.... and our last minute entry, Borin... the Drunk. Wagering is now open! Contestants, you're not permitted to wager, but if you win, you'll get a cut, and if you don't win... you'll get a mutton lunch, as long as you keep it all down."

The other contestants find themselves seats along the long wooden table set up to give the crowd a full view of their efforts. Various members of the crowd approach Dorbo and begin placing wagers, which he scribbles furiously in his notes while he collects their coin in a larger green wooden bucket.

*Randerwaith*
You see the commotion of the competition about to start as you walk past to the main area of the Emerald Chalice. A busy serving girl pauses as you approach.

"Have a seat wherever you can find one. What'll you have? We've the braised mutton with leeks and buttered beans and bread, or a venison and vegetable pie, or I think we've still got some roast duck with potatoes and parsnips. Got ale either brown or dark, cider, mead, wine or brandy, if you'd like a drink."

*Ulmwin & Nemeia*
The pair of you launch into Jack the Thief, between the evocative notes of Ulmwin's lute and Nemeia's dancing depiction of Jack's attempts to steal a goose and harp from a giant, the crowd is soon howling in laughing appreciation. While Nemeia is holding back a bit, the concern that her disguise isn't quite perfect nagging at her, she still puts on a fine show. A few performers still look a bit irritated that you're still playing, but others have been won over and are cheering along with the crowd. Holgor the dwarf chortles so loudly that he topples from his stool and guffaws from the ground before he can catch his breath and get back up. Copper striking copper as coins are tossed in your bucket adds a nice accompaniment to music of the song.

As you finish the number, and bow, the crowd again applauds.

The elf strides up the steps and gestures to you both, striking up another flurry of applause from the crowd.
"What a fine start to the festivities, don't you agree folks!"

Under his breath, pitched to you two... "I'll just take my turn now, if you don't mind."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:28 pm

Randerwaith politely smiles and nods to the serving girl. "Ijust need two servings of the mutton, beans, and bread to take to Master Buckleburry's please. He and I have some business to conclude over lunch, and it's a bit noisy over here just now."

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:35 am

"I'll try to find something fitting."

Holger goes to the scene, drops his stuff in the corner except for a torch designed for fire eating which he puts down on the center of the stage. He then puts the bucket in front for people to donate.

He takes a big breath in and connects his hands in front of his sternum. With large arm movements he starts casting prestigation and ends it with a large step forward shooting out sparks of light from his fist. He continues his spellcasting with a minor illusion conjuring the sound of a beating drum. He starts dancing to the beat in quick movements. At the end of the dance routine he does a cartwheel and picks up the torch. He fires a fire bolt up into the sky to light the torch before doing a bit of fire eating to finish off the show.

"I am Holger Starwind and it's been a pleasure to entertain you, I hope to see you again later during the festival!"

With that Holger does a big bow to the audience, giving them a chance to throw coins in his bucket before he collects it and his stuff and leaves it for the other performers.

Holger performance: 1D20+6 = [11]+6 = 17
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:27 am

"Ah, sure..." Ulmberry says, talking back to the elf, also under his breah- Keeping up a minor tune, both to not alert the crowd and drown out their conversation somewhat. "I was hoping I could get to my own act, however." He says, lightly kicking his own bucket for emphasis- Still empty, although technically he WAS promised half of the human women's winnings.

"Let's be honest, causing trouble over one performer wasn't worth it- It's the kind of stuff you make your audience sour over... So why not join in instead?"

"Wouldn't take too long- I was planning to tell the story of priestess Annibel- Good story, but not long. Besides, I'd promise I would tell it, because it's Holgor's favorite..."
he says- His vision turning to scan the crowd, lingering just long enough for the elf to notice him too- Before turning back to the elf with a wry smile.

"If you're that worried I'd spill all your secrets during my story though, I guess I'll have to move to the back of the line..."

Persuasion: 1D20+4 = [8]+4 = 12

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:41 am

Zephyr walks up to the small building of her childhood, each step more difficult than the last until she finally arrives at the door that normally stood open to allow her younger self to run in and out of, captured in the moment of her childhood glee. She thought for a moment about knocking, but, this was her home still wasn't, so she opened the door, peering into the small house.

(If the door doesn't open (due to being locked), then and only then will she knock.)

Perception Roll: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:56 am

Maji'ah'l eagerly gets seated. He ignores the crowd as he grabs the mutton with his hands, the grease dripping down on the plate as he starts eatting it, savoyring the flavour.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:01 am

"Oh! I love that story! And it would be perfect to lead into your act I'm sure! Please, it's my fault that this fine gentleman has run out of time for his story."

Nemeia attempts to help with Ulmberry's persuasion:
Persuasion: 1D20 + 2 = [13]+2 = 15

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:05 am

Sitting himself down and ending up next to Maji'ah'l he watches him about to start eating the example plate.

"Hold up there fella. the bettings still going on and that's just the demo plate. The fresh stuff will be coming out in just a moment."
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem