The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:01 pm

((Maji is ~100 feet away, once it gets too deep, water will limit your 25ft movement to 12.5 ft per round as you wade/swim through it. You likely not have noticed Maji's predicament, and he's currently blocked from view by the tentacle beast, but Anders did just say he'd been killed in response to Coljin's question.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:15 pm

"Wha?! No! Don't let it get away, I'm coming!" Ulmwin shouts, beginning to wade in the water... As he does, he's trying to get a proper look to see if he can spot Maji, and also trying to get a bead on the status of the guards. He WAS supposed to be there as a healer- If one of them might be able to be saved still...

Though it was looking more like it was time to help them by killing those things as fast as possible, rather than lay back.

((Can I know what Ulmwin is aware off after his shift before deciding on his other actions?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:17 pm

((Give me a Perception roll please!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:19 pm

1d20+2 = [10] = 12

Ulmwin is completely average!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:25 pm

((Most of the guards felled by the creature probably are gone, gone. There's one who might be healable, but it'd take a Medicine check (out just casting a spell) to be sure. As for Maji, he's somewhere on the other side of the fracas going on with the tentacle beast, you can't make him out from where you are. Getting closer might help, but you're also not going to have much of a vantage if you're trying to swim out to him... Perhaps if Anders or one of the guards can lend a hand?...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:33 pm

((Hmm... How far is the one guard that might be healed? ))

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:40 pm

((Oh, and, the light green dot in the water is another monster right?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:14 pm

((The bipedal are light green, the big tentacle mount is the yellowish green.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:27 pm

Ulmwin moves forward, wading into the water- Playing an inspiring tune to see if the one fallen guard can get up, before focusing on the tentacled beast.

"Oi! I knew we were fighting aberrations, but even those got standards!" he says, in gnomish- Leave the guards to wonder what kind of obviously amazing insults he was conjuring in the heat of the moment. And not leave them confused when he calls out in common.

"Anders, someone from your company, pull up the dragonborn!" he says, hoping the one guard he targets with a healing word still had enough vitality left to get up- That'd show quite clearly what he's hoping to do...

Bonus action: healing word 1d4+3 = [1] = 4
Standard action: Vicious mockery 1d4 = [4] = 4
Shift action into water

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:09 pm

Ulmwin strides into the water, directly towards the creature, as one of the guards behind him gasps and begins breathing again as his magic takes hold. The brave little gnome spits insults at the creature many, many times larger than he, and it looks around in confusion at this little thing that hurt its head and seems to have no fear of it.
"I don't think he's ---", Anders is in the middle of saying, when the unconscious Maji tries to breath in brackish water and begins convulsing. "Alright... I'll try!"

The tentacled creature that was tussling with Maji lets go of the dragonborn as it surges up to attack Anders, he manages to dodge one blow, and takes another off the shoulder of his splint mail, but tentacles writhe forth and wrap around his abdomen.
The guards squaring off against the creature that had just emerged from the tunnel at least are illuminated by Coljin's coin, but one of them is unsteady on his feet, and misses with a thrust of the spear. Only one of the three manages to hit, though he gets a fairly solid shot in under the carapace, while the last spear glances off.
Two of the guards in the middle of the water attack the tentacle beast, the lantern bearer warily keeps their distance... their light source is too important to risk attacking the creature right now. One of the spears scrapes across chitin, though the other manages to stick in, a clearish fluid seeping out.
One of the squads begins sloshing out to the group near Coljin's coin.

One of the two guards who had been retreating with Anders head back, stabbing at the creature with its tentacles on their leader.
The other sloshes forward and slams her spear into the tentacled beast.
Anders manages to break free of the tentacles, but holds his ground to try to help cover the retreat and grab Maji if he can.
Despite Ulmwin's insults, the tentacle aberration turns back and clamps its pincers around a guards arm, not enough to kill it, but enough to hold onto the guard and drag it into the tentacle festooned maw, tentacles wrapping around the guard and green saliva dribbling out as it croons a burbling croon. The guard goes rigid in the creature's grasp. The other pincer reaches out and snips the head off of a guard. The lantern bearer is looking more and more vulnerable.
The creature at the northeast tunnel attacks the guards blocking it from entering the chamber, but the guards manage to fend it off with shields.

Turn Order:

Octo-head
Coral-Shark
Squad B
Mussel-Mouth
Squad D
Squad E
Squad C
Anders (Grappled)
Tentacle-Lobster-Dog (Disadvantage on next Attack)
Turtle-Quill
Coljin (32/32) <<<------------------------------------------
Squad A (Spears readied)
Squad F (Spears readied)
Ulmwin (37/37)
Maji (0/31) (Dying)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:12 am

(I'm unsure how far away the spiritual weapon is from an enemy) But Coljin wills it 20 feet closer to the closest aberration and has it attack. (use the last turns roll or roll again? and is it able to get close enough to one?)
(Am I correct that there is no enemy right near Coljins squad right now? that'll affect the rest of his actions.)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:26 am

((Correct, the nearest is the tentacle beast, which is within 20 ft of your scythe.))

The creature's tentacles writhe in the direction of the scythe before it turns its head in time to see it, but not before the scythe sweeps down and bites into its flank. It gives off a most displeased warbling sound.

One of the guards moves out to support Ulmwin.

((Ulmwin, I'm somewhat guessing at your plan here, but if you need to see Maji in order to help him, give me a Perception check, he's still in the water on the far side of the room (72.5 ft away) in dim light (which means it will be at disadvantage unless you get him within range of your darkvision), and there are guards and a tentacle monster fighting each other right in front of you.))

Turn Order:

Octo-head
Coral-Shark
Squad B
Mussel-Mouth
Squad D
Squad E
Squad C
Anders (Grappled)
Turtle-Quill
Coljin (32/32)
Squad A (Spears readied)
Squad F (Spears readied)
Ulmwin (37/37) <<<------------------------------------------
Maji (0/31) (Dying)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:37 am

Then Coljin will do the scythe as a bonus action, move north as far as his little feet let him (regular move), and also cast Toll the dead at the creature his scythe just hit. "C'mon men, let's go save them!" he tries to act like Ulmwin and inspire his guards!
Toll the dead 1d12 = [12] = 12

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:50 am

The chamber resonates with the deep ringing of a bell as the tentacle creature thrashes in pain.
The guards and their gnomes advance.

Turn Order:

Octo-head
Coral-Shark
Squad B
Mussel-Mouth
Squad D
Squad E
Squad C
Anders (Grappled)
Turtle-Quill
Coljin (32/32)
Squad A (Spears readied)
Squad F (Spears readied)
Ulmwin (37/37) <<<------------------------------------------
Maji (0/31) (Dying)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:34 am

Ulmwin tries to see if he can get a bead on Maji...

1d20+2 = [2] = 4

... And, presumably, gets a splash of water in the face from a stray tentacle, disallowing him to get a bead on the dragonborn.

(Presumably right? :shifty: )

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:02 am

Ulmwin splashes forward, swimming as best he's able, kicking up off the bottom to try to get a visual on Maji... But there's too much chaos, and he can't make the dragonborn out...

((You still have action and any bonus action you'd like to use.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:35 am

"You lot are worth your salt." Ulmwin quickly gestures to the guard joining up with him, giving an appreciative nod. "Let's get everyone outta here, alright?" he gives a quick motivational speech, before calling out to Anders: "Hold out captain! Today shall not be your day!", before focusing on the tentacled creature wrapping around him.

Dissonant whispers: 3d6 = [6, 4, 2] = 12

(Can I know what the wis reaction is before deciding on my bonus action? If it fails I'd like to inspire Anders. )

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:15 am

As Ulmwin sings out a horrible melody, the tentacles around Anders' waist shoot out straight before falling limp and splashing as the creature flops into the water rather than running away.
► Show Spoiler
((Exactly enough damage!))

((The recipient of bardic inspiration need not be visible, just be able to hear you, if you wanted to try to sing something that inspires a certain dragonborn...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:39 am

(Can you even use inspiration on death saves?)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:43 am

((It is a saving throw, it just isn't tied to any ability score. Burns, I'm giving Maji inspiration after the fact for making it out of here the first time he wandered in all alone. If you hadn't gone spider and scurried across the ceiling, you'd already have been rolling up a new character, so you may go ahead and give me an advantage roll for this Death Save.))

Ulmwin sings out, his voice carrying over the water, the notes laced with enchantment that reach Maji's unconscious mind, even distorted as they are by the water closing over his unconscious head.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:44 pm

As octo-head goes limp and releases Anders, its body splashes into the water, a curl of blood diffusing around it, and into the dragonborn's mouth. The taste of his dead foe's blood on his tongue, Maji's mouth subconsciously curls into a final satisfied smile as all of his pain, cares and worries leave him...

The three guards in the glow of Coljin's coin stab doggedly at the quilled turtle man in front of them, but only one strikes.
The lantern bearer facing off against the tentacled beast jabs upward, hoping to drive the creature from their friend that it has clamped firmly in its pincer, but the point of the spear skitters across armor.
► Show Spoiler
The other squad in the water sloshes to back up the north east squad.

The only other guard still on his feet near the tentacle beast jabs at it too, but over balances and splashes into the water before struggling back to his feet.
Anders, freed of the tentacles, sloshes over to check on Maji...
He shakes his head at his companion and they both grip weapons and slosh as fast as they can towards the middle of the room and the monster tearing through their ranks.

The tentacle dog tosses aside the guard it has gripped and paralyzed, and shoves forward, legs pulling tight to the body as it flicks its powerful tail, heading towards the far tunnel Maji had been leading folks to. The two nearest guards jab at it as it passes, both managing to hit despite it attempting to twist out of the way.
The quilled turtle man backs away from the guards facing him down, retreating back into his tunnel.

((The enemies seem to have retreated into the darkness, Coljin and Ulmwin, what would you like to do?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:19 am

((The guy that is tossed/paralyzed is presumably still alive but floating in the water, right? Ulmwin would probably check up on that... Right after confirming Maji is dead and being a bit in disbelief about that. He might waste a spell slot just trying...))

"Wha- Wait, you left Maji! He's been through worse! He's..." Ulmwin trails off, wading further into the water toward where he last saw the dragonborn. He only seems to have half a mind to look back toward the guard that was spit out a moment ago. "Someone look at him, does he need healing?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:25 am

"I'm sorry son, I checked. He's gone."

Anders restrains Ulmwin if needed, to keep him from swimming into unsafe territory.

Some of the other guards lift the paralyzed fellow out of the water and get him back to shore. The guards group up again, and by the time anyone is able to move in a group to make it back to where Maji was, his body is gone.

"We've lost good people, but we need to regroup, pushing on will only see more fall. You said you have others in your group that do this sort of thing on the regular?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:48 am

Ulmwin does push on, seemingly intent on at least verifying himself- But seems to realize the situation as Anders holds him back, finally seeming to reluctantly pull back.

"We should at least have tried to grab the bodies- I dare not think what they'd do with those..."

He seems to pause for a moment as Anders is trying to address them, seeming to be in some kind of haze while checking over the paralyzed soldier.

1d20+2 = [5] = 7

Only after a while does he respond. "Oh- Oh, yes. We should get our compatriots in here to help with this situation. It's... A lot worse than I thought."

"...I apologize for those that fell. And for not sticking to the back. Given circumstances, I think the last one can be forgiven though..."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:33 am

"Indeed. I thank you for whatever it was you did that got that thing off my back. I don't want to give them time to desecrate our dead, but pushing on now... I also don't want to add to our dead. We regroup, and hit them hard."

He turns to the guards, "Any of our fallen that can be safely gathered, do so, we're pulling back towards the sewers."

((Anders is only slightly injured, but there are three guards who have suffered injuries, a fellow with poison quills in his side, the paralyzed guard who eventually came out of it, and the fallen fellow that Ulmwin revived earlier. Of the 23 guards who came down here, 15 remain. Theys are able to recover 4 of the 8 fallen guards.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler