The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:37 am

((You mean you DON'T want to write out the contents of every beurocrats file? I am shocked. Shocked! :lol: ))

Nem flicks through, looking for any mention of description of the artefact that the dead mage lady had, that we're looking for. Shes interested in knowing if anyone else is interested in the artefact, and/or if they know what it was for.

She'll set Ily to keep watch and then takes her time with the file.

Intelligence: 1D20+2 = [20]+2 = 22

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:09 am

After perusing the file, your certain that either The Serenity Guild never possessed the artifact you've been sent for, Pembleton wasn't aware they did, or it was left out of the file on purpose.

It seems that the actual contact Pembleton had with guild members was a Wizard Zottle that he compensated for "consultation and appraisal".
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:01 am

((hmm... Interesting. Good to know. What time of day is it?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:06 am

Early morning hours... 2am?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:23 am

All right, Nem will return to the Guard House and scope it out a bit to see what it's like at night (how many folk are coming and going, if they're discussing anything interesting, that kind of thing).

_: 1D20 = [10] = 10

Perception is +4; investigation is +2 depending on what's more appropriate here.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 am

There seems to be someone on duty inside, but no outside guard or foot traffic. Pretty quiet.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:38 am

Ulmwin prepares another insult.

Dornikal chucks a javelin through the portal, the shaft splashing into water somewhere beyond.

Turn Order:

Dornikal (56/56)
Holger (14/33) (Conc: Detect Magic: 1 hour; rounds of 20 ft teleport remaining: 6; rounds of target on his back remaining: 1; fog cloud: 1 hour; Can only shout: 6; surrounded by faint ethereal music: 7) <--------------------<<<
Pincers-through-the-portal
Squad A (gnome mounts) (Readied Attacks)
Squad C (G20 dodging)
Squad B
Randerwaith (28/37)
Coljin (32/32) (Dash held?)
Squad E
Squad F
Anders
Squad D (Readied)
Ulmwin (37/37) (Presumably holding another Mockery?)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:13 am

spiderwrangler wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 am There seems to be someone on duty inside, but no outside guard or foot traffic. Pretty quiet.
Nem sends Ily to the front door, looking through his eyes to take a look at whoever's on desk duty tonight (and how alert they look).

Insight: 1D20+2 = [8]+2 = 10

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:58 am

It's no one you've met, and they seem to be reading a book, feet up on their desk, but reasonably alert, if not attentive.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Holger focuses in on the nature of the magic, and picks up flickers of conjuration magic around the edges of the portal, but not nearly what he'd expect would be needed to sustain an opening like this... it almost seems incidental, as if this opening between planes is more of a symptom than a cause in its own right. ((Not sure if you wanted to make use of your bonus action or move?))

The brave, and perhaps foolish guard in front of the portal fends off another slash of the pincers, but it isn't something he can keep up forever, as the second jab spears him through the chest, and he's hauled bodily back into the portal.
As soon as the way in front of the portal is cleared, two more amalgamations of sea creatures and humanoid pile through, only to be met by the attacks of the guards. Anders and the guard to the north nearly put an end to one of them, while two of the three guards manage to hit the one to the south. Ulwmin calls out a mocking insult, but the creature is too focused on the prey in front of it.
One of the guards perched above on crossbow duty fires, but the other holds his shot when the first bolt is bent in its flight to bury itself in Holger's back. "Fork! Sorry man!"
The creatures strike out, the north one directing all three attacks at Anders but failing to land any, while the south one attacks the guard between Hoger and Anders, slamming a fist into his head, and wrapping tentacles around his neck and squeezing until he goes limp. ((Guard XII down.))
The creature steps forward to stand over the body of the fallen guard, tentacles releasing him to fall into the water, as another steps out of the portal and attacks Anders, managing to knock him about and grab hold of him with its sucker laden face.
Coljin's guards move to keep pace with him.

The three guards nearest the one who just fell to the sea creature all retaliate, spears stabbing deep into its flesh.
The lantern bearer between Holger and the wall stabs at the new arrival, but his thrust goes wide.

Turn Order:

Dornikal (56/56)
Holger (8/33) (Conc: Detect Magic: 1 hour; rounds of 20 ft teleport remaining: 6; rounds of target on his back remaining: 1; fog cloud: 1 hour; Can only shout: 6; surrounded by faint ethereal music: 7)
The sea creatures
Squad C
Squad B
Randerwaith (28/37) <--------------------<<<
Coljin (32/32)
Squad E
Squad F
Anders (Grappled)
Squad D (Readied)
Ulmwin (37/37)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:06 pm

Coljin points out the body to his guards. In case it’s not dead. “Ulmwin come here. This might be our problem.” He yells. He then moves to the item we’ve been searching for and picks it up.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:54 pm

Randy yells to the guard in front of him "Switch!"
Randy trades places with the guard in front of him and goes after the creature in front.

shortsword 1: 1d20+5 = [13] = 18

shortsword damage 1: 1d6+3 = [5] = 8

shortsword 2 : 1d20+5 = [11] = 16

Shortsword damage 2: 1d6+3 = [2] = 5

Total damage: 13

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:08 pm

Coljin, by the light of the guard's lantern, you can see that what looked initially like a be-tentacled creature inside the tank, is actually a humanoid about your size, naked, but with flexible tubes attaching to the head and other places on the body, all running up into the top of the tank.

((You openly looting the sphere, or trying to do it on the sly? Sleight of Hand if so.))

((Randy, it gets a bit wonky if you try to hold until the guard's turn for him to drop back, since you'd have to hold Dash to move, and retroactively giving him instructions gets weird too. It still technically doesn't work (can't end move in occupied space), but I think the cleanest option is for you to move up and use your Action as a shove attack on the guard, which swaps you two without him taking an opportunity attack, and I'll say you can take your first 8 damage swing with you bonus action attack.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:39 pm

The person in the cylinder. They appear awake? Try slight of hand. (Still cannot roll, please roll for me)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:03 am

It doesn't seem so, though their features are obscured by the tubing and helmet-like device the tubes are connecting to, but there hasn't been a response to your approach. It's continuing to just gently float on the faintly blue-glowing liquid.

((Coljin: Sleight: 1D20 + 1 = [17] = 18
))

Coljin kneels while looking up at the figure in the tank, which has the attention of his guards too, none of which notice as he scoops the grey orb from the ground.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:53 am

Randy slips past the guard between him and the creature, nudging the guard backwards and thrusting at the tentacled creature, punching right through its chest, leaving it to collapse on top of the guard it felled, both of them submerged in the brackish water.

On the other side of the room, Coljin also notices an inscription in a familiar, but not immediately readable script.

The guard near Dornikal puts an end to the creature in front of him, leaving the one grappling Anders the only one on its feet(?).
Grabbed in an uncomfortable position, Anders slashes as best he can at the one grabbing him, and while he hits with the first swing, isn't able to quite bring it down.

Turn Order:

Dornikal (56/56)
Holger (8/33) (Conc: Detect Magic: 1 hour; rounds of 20 ft teleport remaining: 6; rounds of target on his back remaining: 1; fog cloud: 1 hour; Can only shout: 6; surrounded by faint ethereal music: 7)
The sea creatures
Squad C
Squad B
Randerwaith (28/37)
Coljin (32/32)
Squad E
Squad F
Anders (Grappled)
Squad D (Readied)
Ulmwin (37/37) <--------------------<<<
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:22 am

"Wha? You need help Coljin? I'm coming!" he yells back, looking at the guard that stuck with him- Hoping for a ride, while using his action for vicious mockery presuming he has the chance.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:38 am

Ulwmin calls an insult over his shoulder before mounting up on his guard and assuring Coljin that he's on his way. The creature burbles angrily as the bard makes its head hurt.

Turn Order:

Dornikal (56/56) <--------------------<<<
The sea creature (disadvantage on next attack)
Squad C
Squad B
Randerwaith (28/37)
Coljin (32/32)
Squad E
Squad F
Anders (Grappled)
Squad D (Readied)
Ulmwin (37/37)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:57 am

Dornikal jerks out the long sword and steps in front of the portal to kill the remaining attacker before moving back.

Killing the monster on Anders: 1D20+6 = [18]+6 = 24
1D6+4+2+1D6+2 = [4]+4+2+[2]+2 = 14

((He has enough movement saved for that right?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:07 am

Dornikal steps up and hacks down the one grappling Anders, before falling back to his original position.

The target fades from Holger's back.

((There is the faint outline of two other beings on the other side of the portal.))

Turn Order:

Dornikal (56/56)
Holger (8/33) (Conc: Detect Magic: 1 hour; rounds of 20 ft teleport remaining: 5; fog cloud: 1 hour; Can only shout: 5; surrounded by faint ethereal music: 6) <--------------------<<<
Squad C
Squad B
Randerwaith (28/37)
Coljin (32/32)
Squad E
Squad F
Anders
Squad D (Readied)
Ulmwin (37/37)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:33 am

Holger teleports north west, grunting from the arrow in his back. He continues moving around, scanning for something else that might be the cause of the portal.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:50 pm

Holger ports to the north side of the cloud he inadvertently summoned, and catches flickers of abjuration, conjuration, necromancy and transmutation from where the control panel would be. It doesn't seem very stable either.

Two more sea creatures pop through, one going after the lantern bearer to the south of the portal, and making quick work of the guard, the lantern snuffing as it hits the water. There are enough others with lanterns nearby that the room is still well illuminated.
The other one attacks Anders, managing to land a blow as well as grapple him.
Two guards both sink spears into the one that dropped the lantern bearer, but not very deep.

Ulmwin's guard moves him closer to Coljin, while the guard carrying the lantern moves past Coljin, revealing to them and Holger what is definitely the body of their fallen dragonborn companion.

The size of the portal has remained the same size, neither growing, nor shrinking since Holger and Randy have stopped surging and manipulating the planes, respectively. Unfortunately, it still seems to be plenty larger for things to still filter through.

Turn Order:

Dornikal (56/56)
Holger (8/33) (Conc: Detect Magic: 1 hour; rounds of 20 ft teleport remaining: 5; fog cloud: 1 hour; Can only shout: 5; surrounded by faint ethereal music: 6)
Squad C
Squad B
Randerwaith (28/37) <--------------------<<<
Coljin (32/32)
Squad E
Squad F
Anders
Squad D (Readied)
Ulmwin (37/37)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:29 pm

Randy gamely steps into the breach, taking up position between Anders and guard 12.

Shortsword 1: 1d20+5 = [20] = 25 (Crit hit! )

Shortsword 1 damage (crit ): 2d6+6 = [5, 2] = 13

Shortsword 2: 1d20+5 = [18] = 23

Shortsword 2 damage:1d6+3 = [2] = 5

Total damage: 18

If, by chance, the hit from sword 1 is sufficient to drop Ander's attacker, Randy will direct sword 2 at the other creature. Otherwise all attacks at Ander's attacker.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:40 am

((Nice on the crit! You're the first to hit it though, it's still up.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:54 am

Coljin will move closer to the person in the cylinder. He quickly prays for guidance. He is looking to see if this is the woman they were searching for. He is also looking for a way to open the cylinder, a latch or anything like that, since we cannot see the control board in the purple fog. Is there any sort of control panel down by the cylinder?
"Ulmwin, guards, We need to find a way to turn off the power to this and get the person out of here. The device might be powering the gateway portal."

Perception and guidance: 1D20+5+1D4 = [6]+5+[4] = 15