The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:26 am

Ulmwin gives a perhaps somewhat stupid little grin as he holds a cup of tea and a scone in his hands still.

"And there you are..! Hope you weren't panicking too much- Wasn't really any way to send a quick alert."

"Now... As we're all here, may we finally know why you've invited us..? Or were we simply lucky to meet you on the path as you are doing your research?"

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:45 am

Randy takes a sip and gives a little salute to the new arrivals with his cup. He carefully puts the books he has to the side and gives his full attention to the old dwarf.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:48 am

Nem is rather in awe of this strange room and wonderful library and magical tea tray. She turns on the spot taking in the sights and then takes a turn around the room in a more thorough look at the interesting stuff.

Perception, investigation: 1D20+4 = [7]+4 = 11
1D20+2 = [8]+2 = 10

((Can Ily help?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:55 am

It is a all a bit overwhelming to your eyes, and reaching out to Ily for additional information, you get the sense that besides the scent of books, tea, and various projects, Ily notes the scent of a bird...

"Yes, yes, once those that do want tea and a scone have one. I'll not be repeating myself just because someone was trying to decide between teas instead of paying attention. Young folk have no discipline these days."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:57 am

Dornikal slowly edges into the room, moving along the edge away from the tray looking for anything untoward.
► Show Spoiler
He lowers his spear but doesn't put it away. He scans the room looking for anything that would identify the place and its elderly occupant.

Looking at the tower room: 1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:00 am

Ulmwin nods, finding that a fair enough statement... He closes the book he had taken earlier, and gently puts it back from the spot he had originally taken it from, before returning to his seat.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:08 am

Maji sips his tea and finally decides to try out a scone.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:32 am

'Ummm....sure." answers Cojlin as he takes in the room. After looking about a bit, he will put away his weapons and find a chair to sit in and await an explanation.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:09 am

Holger looks around as well with his detect magic, but focuses on keeping an eye on the wizened dwarf.

"Couldn't use the sign out there to convey a message? Anyways, I'm ready to hear what he has to say."

Holger perception: 1D20+1 = [11]+1 = 12
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:00 am

His head turns to follow Dornikal's movement.
► Show Spoiler
Maji tries a scone. It's not a meat scone, but as far as non-meat baked goods go, it's pretty decent.
Holger wrote: "Couldn't use the sign out there to convey a message? Anyways, I'm ready to hear what he has to say."
"I did. I told yeh to stop faffing about and knock. If yeh'd bloody done that, we could have finished this conversation by now."
► Show Spoiler
"I suppose the majority will have to do, yeh an fill those tending yer carts later. Alright, I do be Kreldoran, and I'd like to hire yew lot for a job that needs doing. Short of it is, an associate of mine was retrieving something I need for my work, but she's late. She's not responding, so I do be assuming she's dead. I need folks that do be able to follow her last steps, figure out what happened, and bring my belongings back to me.

I'm a bit past the age to be tromping through the wilderness and the like, so I be needing to hire someone to do that for me. Ye've got the feel of hardy folk about yeh, so I do be hoping yer interested, cause if not, yer just wasting my time and drinking my tea.

Maybe I should have had the sign say "Help Wanted, Inquire Within"?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:37 am

Ulmwin considers for a moment, before piping up. "Hah, well, that probably would have been a lot less suspicious. I think we might be able to help..?" he states, looking around at the others. "Though we'd have to be asking a couple more questions. What kind of job was she supposed to be on..? And I presume we're talking about something relatively close, and you didn't pull up here to have us travel halfway across the world."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:59 am

Maji writes on his board and shows it to the old codger. What's in it for me?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:26 am

"Ah, yes, payment. What do yeh want? Coin? Favors? I assure yeh that ye'd be well compensated."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:28 am

Randy considers and then replies:
► Show Spoiler
Randy's eyes narrow:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:40 am

"I can help yeh get to Estmont. Avoid all this slogging through sand... Marvelous night sky for making observations though."

"What would yeh want with...", he pauses, looking intently at Randy, before pulling out a lens on a chain from a pocket and peering at the ranger. He drops it against his chest, his voice going quiet. "A Planes-touched asking after dangerous information. What do you be seeking that information for?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:00 pm

Ulmwin shakes his head lightly as talk immediately turns to discussing what payment could be. The reason he wants to know more details is because, at least in his mind, that could help decide what due payment should be. He did not get the impression the dwarf was evil, if cranky- But there could still be some difference between a potentially noble goal, and a selfish one, at least for him. And for that matter, a dangerous one, and a potentially less so.

"Well, I'm not sure if it'd be fit compensation without some more details, but there is perhaps one favor you could help with... I'm assuming you've not seen the markings yet, with the ambient magic in this place?" Ulmwin asks. "But the lot of us got cursed in an earlier expedition, and it's caused us to be attacked by snakes that go mad at seeing it- To be rid of it would be a great boon..."

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:16 pm

"So, are you saying if we accept, the whole caravan gets teleported to Estmont and then we go do your task?" Coljin tries to hide his excitement of possibly being teleported, but he fails.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Holger frowns at Randy as he starts speaking gibberish

"Ulmwin is right, the details of the job is more relevant than negotiating payment, since we don't know what your task is worth for us to be pursuing it. All we know is someone most likely died trying to do it. So what do you want retrieved and from what or who?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:56 pm

Dornikal's eyebrows raise,
► Show Spoiler
He racks his memory for anything about the elder's given clan.

Stargazer clan int: 1D20 = [20] = 20
((Same modifier for history if more appropriate, but may 20 so I guess he knows something!))

"Aye'd gladly accept quick -safe- passage for the caravan to Estmont if that is being offered, especially as a sign of good faith on yer part elder."

To Randy and Kreldoran,
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:59 pm

((I'm presuming Ulmwin's comprehend languages is still active right, since it goes for an hour and some time would have passed before he cast it? :shifty: ))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Nem raises an eyebrow at Randy and looks at the old man.

Insight: 1D20+2 = [15]+2 = 17

"I'd like to know how you managed to make this tower appear out of nowhere before we agree to pricing."

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:48 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:40 am "I can help yeh get to Estmont. Avoid all this slogging through sand... Marvelous night sky for making observations though."

"What would yeh want with...", he pauses, looking intently at Randy, before pulling out a lens on a chain from a pocket and peering at the ranger. He drops it against his chest, his voice going quiet. "A Planes-touched asking after dangerous information. What do you be seeking that information for?"
Randy gives a tight smile. "I was....asked....to look into it. It was an offer I couldn't refuse. Literally. "

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:48 pm

"Yes, relatively close... certain portents suggested that waiting here would lead capable people to find me. I'm hoping that means yeh folks."

"A curse yeh say? I'd have to take a look, but I probably could do something about that, not today though."

"Aye, if you do be taking the job, I can see yeh safe to Estmont after. I could send them caravan folk on before, but I do be figuring they want the wagons to go with? They'd be welcome to reside on one of the lower levels here until yeh lot return if they're not up for adventuring."

"Details, yes.", he ponders a moment before speaking. "Years ago I loaned a very valuable item to a former apprentice of mine to study, only to find out later that he'd ended running afoul of the wrong sort and getting himself killed. Those that killed him took everything they thought valuable with them. They saw justice in the end, and I have manage to recover some of what he was working on, but not the item I loaned him." He waves a hand and the image of an intricately carved gray sphere floats in the middle of the group. "Without getting into magic theory, it would be very useful in my work, and I'd very much like to have it back. Recently I caught whisper of it, and contacted the associate I mentioned. She managed to locate the person attempting to sell it and... acquired it. The last I heard from her, she was to be on her way to meet me, but she's now a month and a half over due."

"As to what happened to her, or where my sphere is now, I don't know for certain. All I know is where she was last, and who she got it from."

He snaps at Dornikal in Dwarven (which Ulmwin currently has been following)...
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

He rolls his eyes at Tess, "Magic, obviously. Yeh don't get to be my age without picking up a few tricks."

"An offer yeh couldn't refuse... I see. And once yeh've looked into it?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:09 pm

"Well, I assumed as much. But if you can magic up a tower, why can't you just magic your way to recovering your sphere?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm

"Because I'd rather hire a bunch of plucky young adventurers to do that, so I can continue to focus on my research."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler