The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:58 am

“Maji is really dead?” He asks in a confused squeaky voice. Coljin is slow to respond but then gathers himse. “There will be to mourn later.”
He wades back to the dryer area. “Anyone injured come here .” He will first tend the poisoned man. (Please roll medicine check for me).

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:01 am

After a moment he remembers the dead abberation that is Stein the water. He goes to drag it out to the dry area. “Someone might need to see this.”

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:04 am

"I'd offer to help myself, but there is only so much I can do- And I fear I'm going to need more of it later... Those who are injured should try to keep safe, be assigned lantern bearer or a similar position."

"If we find a chance to rest later however, I may be able to provide some help then. But we shouldn't do that here..."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:43 am

The only dead monsters are on the opposite end, near where Maji fell. They, along with the dragonborn and guards that were killed there, are gone.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:07 am

Ok. Ignore getting a body then.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:11 am

“So are we waiting for reinforcements or going to get them?” Asks Coljin. “I can heal people but as Ulmwin said we might need the magic for other things until we get out of here. How could these things get down here in the city?”

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:40 pm

"Who knows how many more of those things there are, I don't want to set up camp here and have them swarm us. We pull back to the sewers and regroup there. We've a couple wounded, but they should be alright to make the trip back. Looked like they broke into the sewers, so wherever they're coming from must be in here somewhere."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:32 pm

The battered team of guards and gnomes heads back into the tunnels, a few guards in front, then the injured and those carrying the dead that could be retrieved, then the gnomes, with the remaining healthy guards and Anders bringing up the rear. Coljin's coin was retrieved, between it and the remaining lanterns, there is enough light at the front and back to ensure visibility, though those in the middle might stumble a bit on unseen floor.

You're walking that way for about fifteen minutes when there is light visible ahead, resolving itself to be three squads of guards, with Randy, Dornikal, and Holger trailing them. Anders moves up to talk to the guard in command, and beckons the gnomes forward when it's clear that some of their party has joined the guards.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:27 pm

Nem gives it a couple of minutes for the way to clear, then heads towards the gate and opens it with her thieves tools.

Thieves tools:
1d20+4 = [6] = 10

...wait, that's an unusual lock. Huh.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:28 pm

The guards at the end of the alley put out their hands to stop you.

"Where do you think you're going, miss? "
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:42 pm

Randy moves forward. He notices the wounded and dead men and frowns. He also notices the distinct lack of the reported dragonborn.
"Ulmwin. Coljin. What happened?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:50 am

Dornikal follows Randy, glancing over at the dead and injuried's wounds.

He whispers a prayer to Dumathoin on their behalves as he feels for his emerald,

"Dumathoin guide ye to the hall of yer god."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:40 am

"Maji is... He... He went ahead with the captain to investigate, into water. Then there was an ambush- A whole load of abominations, too many to handle. He... He..." Ulmwin starts, the usually well spoken gnome seeming to be at a loss for words.

"...I'll write a proper song for him, later."

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:22 am

Randy turns pale, looking momentarily stunned.
"Wait. What happened to Maj?! An ambush with abominations?! What are you talking about?!"
He grabs the little gnome by the shoulders and gives him a little shake.
"Get a hold of yourself! Now. What happened? Give us the details. We need to know what we're dealing with!"

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:35 am

Holger will gently grab Randy by the shoulder as he starts shaking Ulmwin and talk softly to him

"Randy.. Let go of Ulmwin, shaking him won't make him more coherrent.. Are.. Are you certain that he's not munching on something in a corner somewhere as another creature?.."
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:45 am

As Ulmwin is released, he sadly shakes his head. "No, twas him... I didn't see him well near the end I admit, but he was his dragonborn self when he went down- I was going over the moment I saw they were having trouble, but I was too late..."

"...But yes, abominations. Killed one, injured several others. Weird mutated fishmen, coming from the water down these tunnels. They're tough, and there seem to be a good amount of them. Killed eight guards, injured several others. We only managed to recover four bodies... They took Maji, too."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:50 am

Anders steps up and coughs softly to interrupt, "I'm Company Leader Anders, I saw a couple of them up close, it was as he said, weird fish-men. The two we put down were humanoid in body, but one had what looked like an octopus wrapped around his head, and tentacles around one arm, the other had the head of a shark, but embedded in coral. There was also something else, big as a horse, but with tough plates like a crab or lobster, set of pincers in front, and a big mess of tentacles."

"As for the dragonborn, I was beside him we he went down... tried to do what I could, but by the time I got there, he was gone. Strong, brave fellow... kept that octopus head guy occupied and saved lives doing it. I... I'm sorry we couldn't save his."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:24 am

Randy turns away to the wall, and takes a moment to compose himself.
"We sent him out on scout earlier. Guess he found something."
He turns back around, still a bit pale, but composed.
"What you're describing.... That suggests we may have a worse problem than what we originally thought, Captain. Give me a little room. I need to check something."

Randy uses detect portal once he has a little room.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:24 am

Dornikal shakes his head sadly,

"What are ye going to do now? Do we have enough guards now to kill these monsters and recover Maji and the others before they do... whatever it is they are going to do?"

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:29 am

“We were just to far away from him to be able to heal.” States Coljin flatly. “They are aberrations and they were smart enough to attack from different directions and ambush. And the water gets deep and slow. A lot of people have died down there.”

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:31 am

Randy closes his eyes and lets his senses flow along the weave of the plane... Yes... there's something flickering like a guttering candle in the dark. North west, maybe half a mile away.

"We saw four of the creatures and the large beast, two were put down, and the others left injured. I can't say if there are more or not, but I think that with the rest of you, we've got our best shot. The longer we delay, the more they recover, and perhaps the more backup they can bring."

As Coljin speaks, one of the other guards speaks up. "They were going after our lanterns. I bet these things can see in the dark."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:33 am

"Yes... We should make any preparation we can to deal with water, and light, before we go. What do we have to deal with that? I can see in the dark, but most of us can't."

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:38 am

"That's propably as good a death as he could ask for.. Hunting strange and unknown prey.. Sorry, I need to stay focused on the task at hand. Sounds like a transmuter that's seeking the same succes as the one who created the owlbear.

How many of you have bows or crossbows available? I'll be in the front using spells to deflect their attacks so you can shoot them while they are focusing elsewhere. Coljin, do you have a light spell besides what you cast on Randy's sword?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:17 am

((About half the guards you came down with have crossbows in addition to the normal spear and shield kit, so 6 of them.))

"We've some between us, but can't reliably shoot what you can't see."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:20 am

Randy looks grim. "We have a problem. There definitely is an interplanar gate. The abominations are most likely coming through it. It's not an infestation, it's a beachhead."