The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:28 pm

((The guard has their arms full, not going to drop their spear to hold your lantern.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:20 pm

Hmmm.....Can he put the lantren in his mouth?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:39 pm

((I mean... he's capable of doing that, and probably getting burned doing it... but is he going to do it when a mute dragonborn he just met thrusts it at him? Probably not.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:13 am

(No i mean can Maji put the lanturn in his mouth? If not then Maji will just drop it for now)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:43 am

((Ah, gotcha. I'll say at the price of 1 fire damage per round, sure.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:12 am

(Hmmmm...eh it’s not worth it. We got plenty of lights)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:09 am

((Guard is wanting to know what Ulmwin wants him to do.))

Turn Order:

Octo-head
Coral-Shark
Squad B (spears readied)
Barnacle-Mouth
Squad D (spears readied)
Squad E (spears readied)
Squad C
Anders
Tentacle-Lobster-Dog
Coljin (32/32) (C: Resistance)
Squad A
Squad F (spears readied) <<<------------------------------------------
Ulmwin (37/37) (Held: Inspiration)
Maji (15/31) (Grappled)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:21 am

"Nay, I'll be fine here, for now!" Ulmwin says, prepping his crossbow in the other hand, while inspiring one of the guards members about to attack. On his turn, unless he sees someone in need of healing, he'll be trying to loose a shot at the beast on land with his crossbow.

1d20+4 = [10] = 14 1d8+4 = [7] = 11

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:57 pm

Ulmwin conveys the change of plans, and rewards his guard's willingness by singing him a song that has him gripping his spear with determination.

The guards of the squad looking after the two gnomes move up to be ready to support their fellows that had just retreated from the darkness. Ulmwin's guard runs forward and throws his spear before retreating (inspiration not needed).
As the glow fades, Ulmwin fires his crossbow at the tentacled crustacean creature, but the bolt deflects off of the hard plates.

Maji drops his lantern into the water and grabs hold of the arm and hauls the creature up, and they are now hugging tightly.

((What are you using in your off-hand? Was it lantern and shield, lantern and staff?))

With an easy escape not an option, his new dance partner thrashes and swings a bludgeoning claw at the dragonborn twice, before the tentacles creep their way up Maji's arm, throttling his neck as a few try to find their way into his nostrils.
The coral-shark surges out of the water to attack the lantern bearer beside Maji, the first swing of barnacled knuckles missing, but the second turning the guards head with a sickening snap as they slump, taking the lantern, and light with them.
The northern squad is getting nervous, with lights going out all over the place, but they fan out and hold their ground to watch for where Coljin said splashing came from the north eastern tunnel.

The squad in the middle of the water seems torn between going to help against the rider and mount, and helping get light to Anders and their companions to the north-west. In the end, that wins out, and they slosh forward as best they can, while staying ready for an attack.

The other middle squad dashes south to provide as much support as they can.

The guards near Maji try to get a good shot in against the creature wrapping up the dragonborn, but as tightly as the two are entwined, they don't manage to get a clean strike on the octo-creature, their spears glancing harmlessly off the cover Maji provides.
Anders swings at the shark-faced creature, but it ducks, and he misses badly splashing about before trying again. This time he connects on a two-handed swing, lopping the head from the creature and sending it splashing into the water.
There is a splash as the creature circles around to get at the Coljin's new friend David on the end of the formation at the south end of the cave. The guard sees it come out of the darkness in time to jab with his spear, managing to jab it right in the mouth.
His mount bringing him within range, mussel-mouth leans down to take a chomp of the David, but its flinch as it gets speared brings him up short.
► Show Spoiler
His mount vents its frustration on the Davidt, swiping at him with a heavy pincer that grabs him around the waist before lifting him up in the air and applying force. The guard screams as he scrabbles in vain against the claw, calling to Coljin to help, but its only moments before the two chitinous halves snap together and both halves of the guard slap wetly to the floor.
It scuttles forward, its other pincer making short work of the guard in front of Coljin.
The tentacles at the front of its mouth wriggle tentatively, as if tasting the air, then more vigorously in the direction of the two gnomes.

On the other side of the cave, the northeast squad's patience has been rewarded, as the creature swimming towards them finally arrives and they are all in a position to get a good thrust in against it, although two of them miss.
It surges forward despite the spears, attacking the guard carrying the lantern, a large sea turtle like limb slapping him around before it jams the other arm, with waving, articulated quills into the guard, a few finding unprotected flesh and breaking off, the skin near the site turning purple and angry.

Turn Order:

Octo-head
Coral-Shark
Squad B
Mussel-Mouth
Squad D (spears readied)
Squad E
Squad C
Anders
Tentacle-Lobster-Dog
Turtle-Quill
Coljin (32/32) <<<------------------------------------------
Squad A
Squad F (spears readied)
Ulmwin (37/37)
Maji (9/31) (Raging, Grappled, grappling)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:08 pm

Coljin lets out a gasp and snarl of pain as David is literally cut into two. (I never should have asked the poor man's name, kiss of death it seems)
Coljin will dodge (Hoping that dodge and his armor and shield keep him alive) and then he will cast spiritual weapon (bonus action). (never used this spell. If I'm reading this right he gets an attack with this the moment he casts it)
He will have the weapon, in the form of a scythe, appear behind the creatures and attacks it (the rider), hoping an attack from that side distracts it.
Spiritual weapon attack : 1d20+7 = [19] = 26
Damage 1d8+5 = [7] = 12

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:14 pm

((Yes, you get an attack when you cast it, then each turn as a BA as long as you can get to a target with it. And it's not Concentration, so it's a great spell when you don't have something you'd be using your BA for otherwise!))

Coljin calls out to his goddess and makes a sweeping motion as a gold and green scythe appears in the air, sweeping down on the rider, the blade punching through the side of the abdomen and slicing through, black blood and visceral leaking out. Tiny crab-like legs wriggle out of the wound and hold the two sides together, but the riders slumps in his seat, definitely very injured.

The remnants of the two squads who have taken casualties facing the rider and its mount swarm forward doggedly, jamming spears into the aberrant creature and the monster riding it, one of the spears sinking into the flank of the beast while the other skitters off, and one of the spears thrust towards the rider being swatted away, before the other jabs into its side opposite where Coljin's scythe opened him up.

Turn Order:

Octo-head
Coral-Shark
Squad B
Mussel-Mouth
Squad D (spears readied)
Squad E
Squad C
Anders
Tentacle-Lobster-Dog
Turtle-Quill
Coljin (32/32)
Squad A
Squad F
Ulmwin (37/37) <<<------------------------------------------
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:27 am

(Lantren and staff)
Maji forces the creature down.

Shove to prone [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21[1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:46 am

((Is Ulmwin just Dodging?))

((Coljin, I think you left your mace and crossbow behind, but are fully armored? Am I recalling that right?))

Turn Order:

Octo-head
Coral-Shark
Squad B
Mussel-Mouth
Squad D (spears readied)
Squad E
Squad C
Anders
Tentacle-Lobster-Dog
Turtle-Quill
Coljin (32/32)
Squad A
Squad F
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:03 am

Nah, Ulmwin is thinking this thing is too close by now, so screw orders: dissonant whisper time!

Can't roll atm though :o

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:10 am

((Which are you targeting?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:30 am

((The big one))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:03 am

Ulmwin jams a chord that jangled unpleasantly in the auditory orifices of the tentacled creature. It whirls and plunges away from the bard, but not before the three guards manage to sink spears into its retreating flank.
The creature Maji is fighting against struggles as he lifts it with one arm, sweeps the legs with his staff, and slams it down, shoving it underwater.
It flails at him, struggling to bring down this persistent prey. It is highly motivated, and manages to connect on both hits and the tentacles migrate to Maji's face digging painfully into his nostrils and trying to gouge his eyes. Maji's rage sustains him longer than would otherwise be possible, but in the end, he succumbs, going unconscious and falling into the water.
((This was from my tablet, will wait on rest until I'm at a computer.))

Turn Order:

Octo-head
Coral-Shark
Squad B <<<------------------------------------------
Mussel-Mouth
Squad D (spears readied)
Squad E
Squad C
Anders
Tentacle-Lobster-Dog
Turtle-Quill
Coljin (32/32)
Squad A
Squad F
Ulmwin (37/37)
Maji (0/31) ( Grappled, dying, suffocating in 2 rounds)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:34 am

The northeast squad squared off against one of the monsters jabs forward with their spears, but only the lantern bearer, still woozy from getting jabbed with poison quills, manages to strike home.
The severely wounded rider dives forward off the tentacled beast, swimming underwater out of sight.

The guards in the middle of the water call out to those who just saw Maji go down.
"It got him... c'mon, let's go!... we've got light for now!"
They are ready to retreat to dry land, but don't want to leave the others in the dark.

One of the squads on dry land moves up to protect the gnome flank.

The two guards flanking either side of the fallen dragonborn carefully slosh backwards to join their companions holding a light for them.

Anders sloshes over to try to finish off the creature before retreating, stabbing twice into the water below Maji's face down body.
Frustrated by stabbing and hitting only cave floor, he turns to join his men in the light, only to have a clawed arm swipe up from the water to clip him in the back.
The tentacled mount, now riderless, seems to want less to do with Ulmwin and his bad sounds so continues moving away from him, towards the group in the middle of the room, one pincer chopping down a guard, while the other is fended off with a shield.
The quilled monster that recently emerged from the northeast tunnel continues its attacks on the lantern bearer, the first blow slamming him to the ground, dousing the lantern. There is the sound of impacts, splashing and screams is it continues working over the other guards in the dark.

Turn Order:

Octo-head
Coral-Shark
Squad B
Mussel-Mouth
Squad D (dash readied)
Squad E
Squad C
Anders
Tentacle-Lobster-Dog
Turtle-Quill
Coljin (32/32) <<<------------------------------------------
Squad A
Squad F
Ulmwin (37/37)

((Maji, when you make death saves, you can PM them to me, but I only want them to be made 1 at a time. More suspenseful that way.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:02 am

((Is Coljin continuing to dodge then? ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:24 am

Sorry, I missed that you posted yesterday...I'll get a turn up shortly.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:50 am

Spiritual Weapon 1d20+7 = [11] = 18
Damage 1d8+5 = [3] = 8

Coljin moves the magic scythe to attack the large mount. (bonus action)
Grabs his continual light coin out of his pocket and tosses it towards where the lights just went off (free object interaction??)
and continues to dodge and yells, "What is going on over there Anders?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:50 am

((Your spiritual weapon can't quite get there with the 20 ft of movement it can take, but you can get it moving that way for a future turn. Can you give me a STR check for chucking your coin to the NE?))

"They've killed a couple of my guards, and your big dragonborn! What IS THAT THING?!!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:22 pm

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:48 pm

Coljin sends his spiritual weapon bobbing after the creature, and skips a flaming coin towards the guards in the northeast of the cavern, where it sinks below the water, but lights things up in an odd, warbling sort of light, between the flicker of the phantom flames being bent and twisted by the sloshing water.

The battered squads by the gnomes keep their spears ready, should the tentacle monster come for them, or Mussel-Mouth pop up for an encore.

Turn Order:

Octo-head
Coral-Shark
Squad B
Mussel-Mouth
Squad D (dash readied)
Squad E
Squad C
Anders
Tentacle-Lobster-Dog
Turtle-Quill
Coljin (32/32)
Squad A (Spears readied)
Squad F (Spears readied)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:53 pm

((does ulmwin notice Maji's predicament? And how far is he/ what would happen if he tried to navigate the water?))