The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:31 am

"Perfect!"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:19 pm

”Oaaaakaaay I wiiiiill shoooow theee waaaay aaand maaaakeee friiieeends eeaaaaiiier toooo hiiiide.”

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:35 pm

Dornikal eyes the unstable, lance bearing gnome he is apparently babysitting now.

"Elder? Ye said ye could help him understand common? Or are ye busy now?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:45 pm

((Actually... just realized that's a ritual spell that doesn't require concentration... so yeah, he'll have cast that as soon as he finished breakfast. Nice, frees up a 5th level spell slot!))

A short time ago...

Kreldoran grinds up the bits of egg shell and inscribes some glowing runes in the air, consulting his book as he casts it over the span of ten minutes.

At the end, those of you with ears feel a pop and can hear thoughts directed at you.
► Show Spoiler
((We'll say that someone gets Tess and she's included in the 8 as well, in case Ily's senses need to be conveyed, and in case Holger turns into a potted plant or something.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:55 pm

Gordon's hand goes to his ear when he hears the pop, he looks at the old man. "What have you done"..

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:01 pm

"Ah, he does speak! Though do try to say it just in your mind, and not out loud, it's all a bit jumbly when you're making sense in my mind and speaking gibberish out loud.", Kreldoran broadcasts mentally.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:14 pm

"This is weird... Ah! Yes, I do understand you - Do you understand us too Gordon?"

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:15 pm

(( So is this like a conference call and we can all 'talk' to each other directly, or does Kreldoran have to play relay with everyone? ))
Randy works his jaw a little at the popping sensation, thinking his ears just popped.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:30 pm

Zokk is startled by the odd sensation, ahaking thier branches as if trying to get something off. <Shoo wood eatting bird! Off!>

Zokk stops shaking upon hearing others <I hear you on the inside? And you hear me? Does this mean friends can hear plants now too?>

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:35 pm

((More conference call than switchboard, the rest of you hear the exchange between him and Gordon too. Your thoughts are still your own, so you can think things and not have them go out, as well as say things and not have them go out (so if you're talking to an NPC, etc.), but if you intend for the others 'on the call' to hear, then they hear.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:22 pm

Randy looks bemused. "This could be useful for getting Gordon here started on a common language with the rest of us. How long does it last for, Kreldoran?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:28 pm

<An hour at a time, though I can recast it with with a bit of time spent after each hour. Once we finish dealing with the murderers and miscreants here, it might serve to help the poor boy learn a modern tongue.>
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:32 pm

<Yes, I agree. Though Gordon, for now at least I wish to share that I've been using a spell to be able to understand you, but until now we've not had a way to do the reverse. Hopefully once this is done, we can take the chance to get some things established.>

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:14 pm

"Gordon, do you remember how to write your language? We could write out a bunch of common useful phrases in our language and then have you write them down on the same page in yours. Later when the spell isn't working, we could still work on speaking Common by reading the phrases to you. You'd know what we said and learn how we say it."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:53 am

<Aye'm staying here so ye can go about sneaking and aye'll teach Gordon some common.>

He urges every that is going out to go while he works with Gordon, saying a word or phrase in common and then mentally sending the meaning over, they'll work on the writing bit if they have time.

((He is going to have a pleasant Dwarven accent to his common when Dornikal is done with him!))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:40 am

Gordon believes he can still write out the letters, remembering that he could read the writing, though badly faded on the things where tree father lived.
He thinks "I'm not daft...I can write the words my mother taught me. But for some reason I can't remember what I did, or who I am, or what these markings on my face mean, or... Why this lance feels so important to me and yet I can't seem to remember a reason that I would have it nor how I would use it."

As he speaks the emotions that he had kept hidden so well bubble up to the surface and he falls to his knees and begins to weep.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:03 am

Dornikal licks him lips uncomfortably and mind sends,

<Uh, aye. Aye Gordon, uh, it is a nice lance. Aye found lances are like spears in that ye mostly just stab with them but, mmm, maybe ye can start writing out the words yer mamma taught ye? That's a good start, aye?>

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:34 am

Finding no console for his grief, Gordon nods slowly and accepts a proffered pen and begins to write out common words and then saying what they are as he writes.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:52 am

Dornikal gives Gordon a friendly pat on the back and says the words like they should be said in current common and writes the current spellings.

<It'll come back to ye lad, just don't focus too much on it. Aye find that thinking about something else usually helps me remember other things.>

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:05 am

<but I don't have anything else to think about... It's all...... Lost to me>

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:18 am

<Probably due to the long hibernation. We figure you were in that tube for over 2000 years. It may come back on it's own, or we may need to talk to a high level cleric about a doing a Greater Restoration spell. In the meantime, you're welcome to stay with us. You can work on building some new memories and deciding who and what you want to be. A new start, so to speak.>

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:27 am

Gordon's jaw drops as he tries to understand how long 2000 years is. He goes catatonic and his eyes glaze over briefly until he snaps out of it. Then he continues writing out words like nothing happened.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:03 am

Dornikal pretends to not notice the freakout and keeps helping.

Giving Randy and co a meaningful look and jerking his chin towards the door.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:04 am

Kreldoran lays down on a bed and closes his right eye, milky left eye open.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:59 pm

<Coljin, Zokk. Let's go. Don't use your trick until we've reached the house, Zokk. Kreldoran might not be able to follow us if we use it too soon.>