The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Taking one last wary look around Dornikal whispers a prayer to Dumathoin on the woman's behalf before heading back to the caravan to get a blanket to wrap the remains in and to explain what is going on, as best he understands it.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:59 pm

"Since we have no idea where she may have come from, or where her family might be, all I can think of is doing a funeral service for the body. Anyone else have ideas on how to appease her spirit?"

He will do a quick prayer to Mielikki for guidance and then do a religion check to see if he can think of anything he read about how to help in this situation.
religion check with guidance to figure out what to do with remains: 1D20+2+1D4 = [17]+2+[4] = 23

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:18 pm

Randy looks at the bolts. "Crud. I think she was shot." He collects the bolts and examines them.

investigation: 1d20+1 = [19] = 20

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:32 pm

Tess ponders the situation...
► Show Spoiler

Spiderwrangler wrote:((I'll take a Medicine check from someone proficient in it.))
Lurks_In_Shadows wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:47 pm Medicine: 1d20+3 = [19] = 22
((Lurks is proficient in Medicine, but Randy is not. :P ))

Randy studies the clues...
► Show Spoiler

Coljin prays for his goddess to guide his actions...
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:38 pm

Dornikal returns with the blanket after however long it takes him.

"Do we lay her to rest here or? Aye can say some words over her since she seems to be having trouble moving on. Maybe together with Coljin?"

He looks at the gnome.

"Less somethings holding her here?" He squints at the metal bands to determine if they were jewelry or something more like manacles.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:44 pm

Dornikal returns after briefing the others, which was good, as Maji was getting a bit anxious.

((Both? That they are affixed to one another makes it seem rather like they might function more as manacles, but they are well made, and somewhat ornamented, though a encircling chain motif is a rather unusual design aesthetic, and not one that is likely to really fit many outfits.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:53 pm

If he can without having to damage the bones Dornikal will pick up one of the manacle braclets and peer on the inside looking and feeling for a forger's mark/stamp. As it is seemless it was likely they were pour forged but maybe?

If possible he will do the same with the ring. Is it the same metal for everything? (And what type of metal?)

Once he has done that he will lay the blanket out and gently and solemnly move the bones onto the blanket.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 pm

Devoid of flesh, or a living arm to encircle, the bands slip free easily from the forearms. There doesn't seem to be a maker's mark, but since Holger said they, and the ring, were magical, perhaps something as mundane as a forgers stamp was not included.

((I'll take an INT check from you, you can make it with proficiency given your jeweler's background.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:41 pm

((little late to this, sorry, but this is important to Nem so I hope it's ok...))

As Dumathoin goes to take the manacles, Nem places her hands on his to stop him removing them. She does it gently, but she won't let him touch them.

"No, not these."

She slips the ring and manacles off the bones and stays for a moment, looking at the body and looking troubled.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:57 pm

((Would she be permitting him to look at them, or "hiding" them from his inspection? ie, look but don't touch? Also, as a note, the ring was not around a finger, just buried in the sand with the remains, but Holger's able to sense the magic of it, which actually made excavating the magic items pretty easy.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Randy gives Tess a bit of an odd look. He moves closer to look at the ring and manacles closely (without touching) to see if he recognizes anything about them. "Do you recognize these, Tess? "

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:05 pm

((No, she's not hiding them, she just wants Dornikal to let her remove them. Once they're off, she doesn't care. She will take the ring)).

To Randy: "Yeah. Break them."

"We should follow."

She snaps her fingers and calls Ily back to her shoulder and stands quietly for a moment.

"I need some time here. Please go back to the caravan. All of you."

and strides off towards the stone spire, trusting to her clothing rather than any attempt at stealth to blend her in amongst the dunes.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:05 pm

((The remains were at the base of the stone spire, she seems to have vanished once she was certain you were investigating.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:35 pm

((oooh! Sorry I misunderstood and I've edited my post))

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 pm

Randy raises his eyebrows at this. "Oohh-kayy." He watches Tess a moment. "What think you, Master Dwarf, is breaking them without something bad happening possible?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:52 am

((Dornikal would absolutely let her remove the items before inspecting them.))

Dornikal is distracted by Tess' odd behavior and only does a very cursory check of the ring and bracelets.

Check of rings and bracelets: 1D20+2 = [4]+2 = 6

Dornikal ponders Randy's question.

"Honestly, aye don't know. If it was just some jewelry aye'd be yer dwarf but with the magic? Aye'm probably the worst here at answering yer question."

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:50 am

Randy walks quietly up behind Tess and speaks in a soft voice.
"Tess, we need to know what's going on. We know that these things are magic. We don't know what will happen if we break them or if we even can. If you know something about them...."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:44 am

Dornikal, you can't make out much more details about their construction, but Holger says their magical, and magical things are often both valuable and resistant to damage. If these ARE something closer to manacles than decorative bracelets, it's even more likely they'd be hard to destroy.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:57 am

Holger squeezes Tess' shoulders and gives her a slightly sorrowful smile in a weak attempt to cheer her up a little. He'll gently push the ranger around and lead him away with his arm still on his shoulders

"Come Randy, let her be for now and we can discuss the nature of magic and how it alters objects. The weird thing about magic is that magic is almost always the answer in order to deal with it. So an item with a more powerful enchantment designed to cause damage is a good bet on how to deal with it. Alternatively we could try to dispel it, or more likely, subdue the magic for long enough to destroy the bands as any other."

Holger arcana: 1D20+2 = [18]+2 = 20

The arcana check is mainly for ways to destroy magic items.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:13 am

Nem just sits in the sand near the bones for a long while, idly running the worn cloth through her fingers running her fingers gently over the bones as she whispers to them.

"Are you still here, love? You danced beautifully..."

((Does it look like she was shot in the back?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:39 am

Holger goes into lecture mode on the nature and function of magic.

You didn't stick around at the academy long enough to become well versed in magic theory, but you do remember the gist of one of Master Grandlepurn's lectures on magic items. Speculation and dreaming of making or finding magic items was a popular past time among your fellow students, so it was a lecture that was actually interesting.

Weak magic may be disrupted by damaging the item in which it is instilled, but more powerful magics represent a larger investment on the part of someone, and as part of the enchantment, the object is also reinforced. As an analogy, you could take a bar of steel and grind it into a blade, but the softer steel would mar and lose its edge. By applying a heat treatment to the steel, you can harden it, and with additional heat, temper it so it is not brittle, and makes for a good blade. The same idea occurs when magic is used to enchant an item, it is infusing the item not just with arcane or divine magic that allows it some new function, but also serves to reinforce and increase the durability and resilience of the item. So an item with a minor enchantment may be physically damaged enough to disrupt the magic, but a more magically invested item would likely need the magic removed in order to destroy it, or at least suppressed long enough to damage it to a point where the magic doesn't function when it's no longer suppressed... unless the enchanter put in a restorative magic to repair said item...

Everyone moves away to give Tess her space.
► Show Spoiler

From a few hundred yards distant, the rest of you see the woman reemerge and after a quiet moment or two, begin to dance.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:02 am

Randy looks at Tess with troubled expression.
He turns around and gestures to Dornikal. "Let's have them. We'll try the brute force approach first. Everyone else get back in case something goes wrong. No sense for more than one of us getting turned into a frog."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:12 am

Dornikall hands over the bracelets but keeps the ring for now to see how it goes, unless Randy wants to try and smash both at the same time.

"Best to get a rock or something under them if ye are planning on smacking them so ye don't just knock'm into the sand."

He then goes and stands about 50 away from Randy.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:17 am

Nem smiles up at the ghost through wet eyes and gets to her feet. She unwraps her headscarf and gently wraps it around the old bones and tosses her weapons and armor to one side. Then she joins the ghost to dance, losing herself in movement and memories for a long while.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:26 am

Dornikal looks between Randy getting ready to hit some magical stuff with magic in the hopes it breaks and Tess dancing around some bones with the ghost that formerly owned them.

"Odd couple of days."