The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Aaahhhhh ok, gotcha.

Well, you get a couple of level 2 spell slots at level 3, so we'll start on that.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:31 am

Is Gwen heading to the hut as well?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:53 pm

thinkslogically wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:31 am Is Gwen heading to the hut as well?
Yes. Sorry.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:23 pm

That's ok :) just checking in case one of you was hiding or scoping things out or what have you first.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:53 pm

thinkslogically wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:35 pm ((That's fair, it's easier to get into the skin of some characters that others. FWIW, I'm more than happy for PCs to be retired and replaced if you're just not enjoying playing her. That goes for everyone - sometimes cool concepts turn into people you struggle to identify with. Like an obnoxious charlatan wizard I made for a one-shot once who sounded like a great idea on paper. I got 10 minutes in and realised I'd made a terrible mistake :lol: ))
Yeah, sometimes its tough. I rando-rolled a dwarf bard that turned out to be an utter jerk. RP-wise, if his use of suggestion didn't convince the boss baddie to walk out of the dungeon where he was subsequently murdered by the allies camped around it, I think I would have been hard pressed for him not to just abandon the party. This was also after a TPK where our new characters were going to investigate why the other team that was sent out didn't return, so I didn't feel a whole lot of attachment as a player to the other folks characters either. Balar Forgebellows was promptly replaced next session with a dwarf Divination Wizard. I should share him with you in the thread you were looking for NPCs in...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:08 pm

Aye that sounds cool :) I'd love to hear about him!

One of my RL players went through about 6 different characters that I think probably would have been great for a novel (various flavours of loner / outsider / classic drow-type), but never quite found a foothold in the D&D setting we had or gelled great with her own personality (she's a genuinely lovely person). She now plays a happy barbarian and seems to be getting along much better :lol:

-----------------------------------------------------

Either way, I may be able to help you guys get to know your characters better. You're welcome to answer these or ignore them, but they are so far working great for getting my group of fairly-new players get to know their characters.

1. What is their favourite colour?
2. What is their favourite meal? When did they last get to eat it?
3. What was the last thing that made them really laugh?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:14 pm

Do you want us to answer these here? So everyone gets a feel of our characters or just in our heads?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:30 pm

Might as well post them here :) It's entirely optional but it'll actually help me get a better feel for a different aspect of your PCs (which in turn helps me build individualised stuff for you all) and might help you guys get some insight into each other as well. This is just going to be minor stuff that would probably come up for them IC, but probably isn't going to get RP'd too much.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Varsk

1. What kind of stupid ass question is that?
2. Grarg's meat pie from his wagon. Had it right before I left to come to this godforsaken armpit.
3. Some kid tried to stab me, slipped in some shit and stabbed himself. Nearly forgot to kick him before I walked away I was laughing so hard.

Varsk has had a rough life and embraced that. He isn't violent without reason but he doesn't need a lot of reasons. Targeting Lawful-evilish.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:46 pm

:lol: love it!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:23 pm

Maji:
Each question, he writes down something.
1: Black
2: Snared a baby bear once. Smoked it after giving it an acid bath. Not for years.
3: Don't remember. Am sure that when Z gets herself killed, will enjoy every moment. May amuse self by getting H back.

-----
Gwen
1: "Does invisible count as a colour? Imagine all the shenanigans you can do! Oh you are looking for an actual colour? I'd say purple, but it doesn't really match my complexion."
2: "Some freshly baked bread, preferably still warm. It's been ages since I had some."
3: Gwen laughs loudly. "Ahhh. Sorry. If I told you, you would probably not believe me."

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:21 pm

1 deep ocean blue
2 squid, it's been a while
3 when he was tickled by the true god!

:p
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:39 pm

1. Deep green suits me well, but a dark charcoal is best for staying unnoticed.
2. Gran Tallpine's beef and barley stew, with fresh crusty bread. Mum never could make it quite the same.
3. Watching a drunk sailor try to tie his belt. Every time he almost had it, the ship would catch a swell and sit him on his rear or toss him against a rail. Fool almost ended up in the drink!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:06 pm

1. The silver of the moon and stars, which Syli slept out under more often than not as a youth.
2. A freshly roast rabbit. It was the first time she had taken down her own meal, with that ratty old sling Urkish had given her; the flavor of it had seemed so much more subtle and nuanced compared to the bread and meat of the city. She's since been trying to subsist more on food she's gathered or taken down herself.
3. Her mentor Urkish knew a few old bawdy orcish songs that made her crack up a couple times, but for the most part, she's pretty taciturn. Not that she doesn't have a sense of humor or can't laugh, but she doesn't lend herself to peals of laughter.

I don't think in my case it's so much that Syli's been a tricky character, so much as I've just been having difficulty getting into the RPing mindset in general lately (cue line about crazy work again). That tends to get further troubled by the fact that I occasionally hit this mental block where I feel like this next post needs to make every great writer look like an amateur hack in comparison, and wind up getting stuck trying to come up with something suitable (until I finally just force myself to post something).

Albeit, I also admit to be something of a rollplayer as well; I tend to do better in action sequences or combat, which feel a bit more comfortable for me in comparison to dialogue (not that I dislike it, it's just that the action sequences tend to click a little bit better in my head).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:24 pm

I find that I tend to shift perspective on the forums when it's a character I feel comfortable in... Korrik I like, and have a good idea how he thinks and looks at things, so when posting, I'm usually saying "I punch", "I jump", etc. Other characters in other games are a bit more distant for me, but some of that might be just the personality of the character. For example, in Heist, I don't ever think of Kytiel as "I do this", it's always "Kytiel does this".

Not saying it should be one way or the other, more of an observation. I've also taken to calling players in Sundered Way by character names, rather than asking them what their character is doing.

I think it might be a carry over/under to how I GM in real life, but I've done more on forums than in person, so I don't know...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:38 am

1. Dark green.
2. When you're living off the forest in a remote village, there isn't too much variety. Really, it makes you grateful for every meal. Kal is eager to try other foods. But a simple meal around a campfire will always feel like home.
3. River otter antics are pretty funny sometimes. But it's not so much what made him laugh yesterday, as much fun as that was. It's what will make him laugh tomorrow.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:04 am

Aah, familiarising ourselves with characters is fun. I picked up RP on a website a little while ago, made a couple of characters, and it's incredible how much difference it makes to really know the character. Even these little sorts of things can help, so...

1. Brassy brown, that of we gifted with the power of the dragons.
2. Spit roasted lamb. Hot, tender, and ready to fall off the bone. Haven't had a proper roast in months, and half the races' nobles think it's barbaric.
3. Last time I drank too much, my host thought his jokes were successful, but the ridiculous hair on his face was what I was laughing about.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:12 am

These are great, thanks folks :)

Nioca - I know what you mean, and I'm aware that you guys have had a lot of talking and not a lot of action for a while. I try to keep a balance as best I can, but everything takes ages on the forums so it always winds up being one thing for longer than expected :) But a change of pace will come along soon enough for you guys!

---------------------------------

All right, today's question now we've got the ball rolling a bit (will aim for one a day for a while until you guys beg me to stop asking :D ):

> Have you ever had any pets?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:51 am

I am fine with talking, it's just that magic and outdoors aren't Varsk's strongest areas.

-------------

1. Got some kids. 3, no it's two. That count?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:57 am

((well that's an interesting bit of information! Tell me more about Varsk's kids :)

((PS I promise that they won't randomly show up dead for tenuous plot reasons or "drama". You're allowed to have backstory families who are safe and happy!))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:46 am

Varsk:

I had three kids. A boy and a couple of girls. Get along fine with their moms 'cept the boy's. The boy was the oldest. He had a bit too much orc in him and thought he was old enough to start his own gang, he was big like his dad but a damned fool like his mom. The big toothed bastard got killed by another company while he was trying to rob one of their carts. His mom thought I should do somethin' 'bout the other crew but I didn't see any reason. They were protectin' theirs. Boy picked his own fight and lost.

My girls are ten and twelve...ish. Maybe? Got them in one of the rich folks academies back home. Paid the school direct, can't trust one of the girl's mom to not spend it on booze and spice. She is nice enough somber though, and was somethin' to look at. Other one is solid, she takes care of their food and clothes for a reasonable enough price. Paid the girls' tuition and the like until they turn 20. They are goin' to have the connections to get them into the big deals, not the street level shit I started with. Not going have to eat rats 'less they want to.

They are good girls. Always happy to see me, help me with the books. Pretty sure the folks that ran me out aren't goin' mess with them. What'd be the point? They took everything I had of value.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:58 am

Well that's very sweet :) Whereabouts in the world do they live?

((I'd suggest somewhere not too far from Caero if Varsk has fairly regular contact with them just because travel times would make longer journeys fairly prohibitive))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:20 am

They, along with everything Varsk grew up with, are back in Seahaven. The contact was regular before but has, out of necessity, ended.

Wouldn't do to have the group after Varsk find him by reading letters.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:21 am

Cool, thanks for the info :)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:38 am

"It was not mine, but I was taking care of a stray cat I found in the woods. I took it with me, but sadly it didn't last long. At the time I had a bear trap and it stepped on it. I...didn't mean to hurt it. It's leg was messed up and it couldn't walk. It was hollering loudly. I...had to put it down. It was one of the worst things I had to do. When I went into town I exchanged that trap for a live one so that I wouldn't accidently hurt another cat."

----
Maji writes, Not really. Had spiders in hut. Let them stay. Kept pest out. Liked putting insects on web and watch squirm.

(Gwens is somewhat based around what happened to me recently, where I was weedeatting grass and there were bunnies, about few weeks old and one didn't get away and the eatter cut through the bone. It was screaming and had to put it down. It was horrible.)