The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:23 pm

Pretty new to this adventuring thing and left everything when I ran, but it seems like I could probably have brought an extra couple pairs of boots. Gonna have to throw this pair away when we get back.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:29 pm

His connection to the ocean and his "holy" iron symbol.

Surprisingly fitting that it is the only thing he currently owns.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:30 pm

"I always carry around my lucky rabbit's foot."

---
Maji gives the person a glare. Everything I have on me is essential. He also circles everything.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:51 pm

:lol: yeah, you guys are going to be a stinky, dirty, acid-washed mesh by the time you get back to town (assuming you do!).

Tell me more about Gwens rabbit's foot! How did she acquire it and how long has she had it? Is she generally superstitious? Does she believe it's really lucky, or does she carry it because a superstitious person gifted it to her, maybe?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:48 pm

"Oh I was gifted it from a friend when I was much younger. I have kept this for several years! I am a bit supersticious, but with what I have seen and heard, I do think it gives good luck!"

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Kal came with a bunch of kits. My theory was that he was raised to be self-sufficient and would be able to do things like minor repairs on his leather armor and backpack, the equivalent of first aid, home repairs/woodworking, etc.

Unfortunately, on paper he doesn't have the skills to use any of those kits. When we started the game, we agreed that Kal would practice with them in his downtime and gradually earn the skill. But it hasn't really come up in-game other than a couple of offhand mentions early on.

(If I was Minmax's player, I'd probably have suggested trading my +1 to History and +3 Insight for skill proficiencies. It does make more sense for the character. But I don't think any of us really want to get into that kind of shuffling and bargaining.)

As it happens, this also answers the question of the day. Most people wouldn't consider leatherworking tools essential, but Kal won't leave town without them. A broken strap when you're miles away from any kind of craftsman could force you to abandon your possessions or even endanger your life by creating a gap in your armor.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Well, learning them is mostly a downtime activity, but I think we talked about fast-tracking some of the requirements a bit based on Kal's background. It's essentially just something that you haven't had a chance to work on yet, but it certainly can be when you get back to town or what have you. He still needs to find a tutor though I think. I see the toolkits representing a level of skill where you could essentially sell a product at the end of it, or have a degree of competence in the skill you could do it for / as part of a job - so, you could make a really good set of leather armor, "carpent" something people would buy, or reliably pick locks or make traps with your thieves tools. These aren't skills that you can just learn overnight (the PHB has it at almost a year, but I do know we talked that down for Kal's carpentry). They're also not things that get a lot of prominence in 5e, so I do tend to forget about them a bit!

Saying all of that, I think proficiency with the Survival skill is enough to cover your ability to craft repairs and find suitable materials in the wilds to keep you going. We're not running a survival sim by any stretch, but I do take your backgrounds into account when you roll skill checks and such. Profieciency weighs pretty heavily in how good you are at something (e.g. an arcana check from a magic user will get far more info than one from Korrik or Varsk), and Kal is getting the benefit of proficiency in wilderness survival and religious upbringing, even if it's not always completely obvious through the dice rolls, and if it comes up, having the kit might make your lives easier. Not being proficient with it doesn't mean you're useless with it.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:05 am

thinkslogically wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:51 pm:lol: yeah, you guys are going to be a stinky, dirty, acid-washed mesh by the time you get back to town (assuming you do!).
Mehr, upon returning to the city, covered in swamp and looking as much like an offended noble as an emperor after being sneezed on: "After everything we went through, you people owe us a city."

Answer to the question: "I suppose my signet ring would count. It isn't entirely necessary, but can be useful. If you are asking after an item of personal value, rather than use... I do not believe there is anything I would refuse to leave without. Mementos are simply less important than appreciating those I still count friends."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:56 am

Okay, that makes sense. Yeah, I'm not aiming to be working on a professional level for most things. In my head, he did make his own leather armor (starting with hunting the animals), but he did so with help and instruction. He probably wouldn't be able to make a new set of proper quality without supervision. But he should be able to maintain and repair what he's got.

Which isn't something that really comes up under the rules. You can get stabbed through your armor and it doesn't matter. You heal up the missing HP and you're good to go. It doesn't affect your armor stats at all. It's just an RP thing that after they make camp for the night, Kal will check over his armor and equipment and mend any tears or whatever.

Likewise, I don't expect him to be able to whittle a saleable carving, but he should be able to make basic repairs on an old wooden chair or bookshelf. He's in no way a professional chef, but he can cook a decent meal around the campfire. That sort of thing.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:38 am

Yup, that all sounds perfectly fine by me :) I think, for clarity, if you want a mechanical / IC benefit from making your own stuff (i.e. you gain money or stats from it), you'll need the skill proficiency. Otherwise, I assume you guys are appropriately competent in your general skills that you're able to maintain yourselves and your gear just fine. Mehriv might be less good at those skills, but he's got you guys :lol:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:33 am

Mehr's mostly only good at handling people and making magic go boom (Both intentionally and not). But hey, he doesn't have any armour to take care of anyway. :P
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:34 am

I wouldn't rely too heavily on Varsk's cooking skills...

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:30 am

All right, today's question for you all:

How do you picture yourself in your old age? What do you hope to have achieved by then?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:52 am

"I would still probably be a free spirit, wanting to see what the world has to offer! I hope that I can still travel with my friend, Mehriv by then!~"

----
Maji hums softly, thinking. Want to find female dragonborn. Have kids. Live safely away from human. Lot of power to fend off threat. Find way for immortality?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:10 am

Wealthy, very wealthy. Diversified holdin's. Bought a title that I can pass to my kids along with the business so they can get access to the next rung.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:39 pm

I don't know! That's part of why I'm here. I want to learn more about the world (and myself) before I figure that out.

► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:59 am

"I intend to build a large trading firm, to spread the renown of my clan's name. Perhaps once it is stable I will be able to settle down in a large house, or travel for pleasure rather than business. Aside from that, I have some hopes of one day mastering my magic, so I might use it more freely."
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:42 pm

Hey folks, I've had a pretty weird couple of days but will try and get you an update tomorrow.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:36 pm

Okay, I am thinking the tree directly west of the shed for one ranged and the tree directly west of the garden for another. Would Gwen and Syli be amenable to this setup?

Inside the cabin Varsk will be with Mehr and the other two. The ranged people can wait until the kobold and maybe lizardfolk enter before opening fire. Gwen can mind talk, right? If she is outside she can let us know when trouble gets there and what they are doing.

@Thinks, how long until the deadline he just gave for them coming to grab him?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:39 pm

I think it's probably around 3pm for you guys, so you have around 7 hours or so to get yourselves sorted out. If there are specific things that you want to use that would be reasonably found at a self-sustaining cabin in the woods then I'm amenable to adding it in even if it's not drawn on the map. I added things until I ran out of inspiration (somewhere in the herb garden :lol: ).

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:42 pm

Gwen can mind talk within a certian distance (30' i think), and LoS. A tree is much better than what I was thinking of (the roof)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:47 pm

I honestly I no idea what they would need... Explosives to clear tree stumps :D!

How tall are those rocks?

Yep, roof is to visible and open.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:55 pm

The big ones can be like 3-4 feet (1/2 cover). The littler ones don't provide cover, but could be moved.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Alright so I have a few ideas, Gwen can be on a tree near the shed. She can use hex and her ventriloquism skills to hopefully make them think that he is in the shed. We can put some sort of trap in there, unsure what kind yet. On the areas where it's easiest to break in we should put caltrops (the nails) before and after the entrances, covering the ones before the entrance. We can also scatter some in areas in the woods. We can also use broken glass for a similar effect if needed. We should make some snare traps, and other easy/quick to build traps. Also if he has got any hunting traps, we should use all of them.

Any 'easy to break area' has a room (that may have a door or go into a hallway) should be barricated. To make it harder for them to break down the barricades, we should grease the floor with oil, so its hard for them to stand up, let a lone damage it.

If there is an attic, that is probably the safest place to put the old man. We can make the stairs going up there hard for the kobolds to get to and it would give those people with them a vertical advantage. Possibly able to push bolders down the stairs to crush kobolds. If there is a basement, we can use that to make pit traps easier in the house. If we have them fall and take out the stairs to get back up then it would be difficult for them to get out and we can clean them up easier.

That is unfortunately all I have for right now.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:48 pm

If Mehr sets up a Light in the shed it might help with Gwen convincing them there're people in there.
My game:

My characters: