The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:31 am

Just to confirm how the magic transport works - We touch a tree, say the phrase, and we are back in the spot we left from (more or less) after which it would just be having Tam warp whoever goes there back to the rotten tree we warped to here, right?

If that is the case the problem is the travel itself it will be getting permission from the Druid Elders, which is almost certainly going to take more than the 2-3 hours until sunset. We can always just do it without permission and ask for forgiveness?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:37 am

((you aren't sure exactly how it works, but you were told it's a fairly long journey to get back to the sanctuary. Like it's at least a couple of hours, maybe half a day. Tam's magic seems to be different))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:45 am

Ah, okay. In that case Varsk is totally not onboard for sending Syli and waiting.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:08 am

I forgot about the 'long journey' thing. >.>
Well, looks like we're going to be hunkering down for a fight.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:15 am

I was with you thinking it would be quicker. The DM wants a fight. We will give one :)!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:39 am

:lol: you guys can do whatever you want :) I just don't want you thinking you can pop in and out of the sanctuary in 5 mins and ending up in an accidental TPK or something, cos that would be unfortunate!

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:56 am

I figured I should check after I had misunderstood the hut situation. A TPK to kobolds would be embarrassing.

Also since I am asking stuff, only Syli is level 3? Or at least she is part of the way (with the new spells) there and the rest of us are solidly level 2?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:10 am

Syli is Level 3, but needs a long rest to consolidate her newfound powers; the rest of you guys are level 2, but won't be far off it. I was thinking it could make sense (to me) for martial classes to gain skills through combat and training, so if you want to start testing new maneuvers through future fights at all, feel free to give them a shot. How do you feel about 3 successes = a learned maneuver (with a DC10 Athletics/Acrobatics test)? The attempt costs whatever type of action it usually would (I think usually a bonus action or reaction), but you don't do Superiority Die extra damage until it's learned.

Something similar could work for Kal.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:25 am

Sounds good to me. Just need to remember it during a fight!

Edit: What about the extra profiency? It can wait until we get to town but it be criminal related like forgery or poisoner's.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:39 am

You can learn new skill proficiencies during your downtime activities. I'm willing to discuss reducing the requirements in some cases as they might relate to your backgrounds or prior experience, but by RAW, the way it works is:
PHB wrote:First, you must find an instructor willing to teach you. The DM determines how long it takes, and whether one or more ability checks are required. The training lasts for 250 days and costs 1 gp per day. After you spend the requisite amount of time and money, you learn the new language or gain proficiency with the new tool.
I don't think you get new skill proficiencies as part of the level 3 fighter.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:49 am

At level 3 BMs get:

Student of War
At 3rd level, you gain proficiency with one type of artisan's tool of your choice.

However you want to handle it is fine. I was imagining that he was probably already involved in some forgery before as a part of his business. Probably more than poisoning folks.

HP will be added once all the maneuvers are learned or in increments?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:08 am

Cool stuff! All right, I'll say you need to get to town, but the kit you want, and spend a bit of time practicing with it, but you'll be fast-tracked thanks to your class choice. Sounds good?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Yep! Either one will be pretty easy to RP in.

Edit: I'm also making the BM in my campaign do the same thing. Because how in the world would he learn cartography in a cave underground. The equipment doesn't just appear in his inventory because he wants it.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Ummm...what about Gwen? She has a lot of stuff she's getting on this level up. Pack of Tome, change of an invocation, changing of many/most spells (adding a few from tome and invocation)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:18 pm

I know, I've got you all covered :) Gwen's patron is never far away and she gets her powers directly from them. It's a lot easier to handwave a sudden stats boost out of "nowhere" for a warlock than for the martial classes where all you've got are physical skills to practice / learn from a tutor.

Edit: just remember that you cant ever change the cantrips you've learned, and you can only swap out one spell (and invocation) per level up. So you'll get whatever you want that's new, but you can only change 1 spell and 1 invocation.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:37 pm

Wait, only one? I thought you could swap out as you wanted at level up. ...Man that makes sorc, bards and similar classes suck. Espessially since I get some 2nd lv spells to play with.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:51 pm

It's explained here:
https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Warlock#content

Basically you can learn 1 new spell per level, AND you can swap a spell you previously chose, providing it's of a level that you have slots for. Invocations are similar.

It's pretty well balanced IMO (cos you get invocations, and sorcerors get metamagic), it just means you need to pay attention to your choices cos you can't just pick and choose like the divine casters :P

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:09 pm

:shock: I did not know that when I suggested spells for dlover last level!

Okay...not using protection from supernatual good and evil, so will swap that. Will get Misty Step and either invisibility or suggestion. Any suggestions?

Devil sight will be replaced with the Book of Ancient secrets. Cantrips she will gain: Guidance, victious mockery, and friends, rituals will be find familiar and identify.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:26 pm

Also, of you were unaware of the rules, I'm totally fine with being flexible by the way :) DND is complicated enough without also forcing you to hate your skills! If there's stuff you're genuinely unhappy with, I'm good with being totally lenient up to at least level 5.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Mn, I think we'd agreed that on leveling I'd be having a one-time cantrip change because Sorcerer's recommended combat cantrip is actually one of the worse choices. Don't recall any other changes beyond the regular one-spell that I was wanting.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:46 am

Sure, that's no problem :) just go ahead and make the cantrip swap whenever you like; we don't need to RP through that one.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:37 am

Hrm. I was planning to do it at level 3, just to have everything in one place, but I may forget about it later, and with a potential battle ahead (maybe we can talk the kobolds down?) it's as good a time as any.

I'm replacing Ray of Frost with Fire Bolt.
Huzzah for doubling my range and slightly increasing my damage in exchange for losing the slowing effect that I never remembered.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:39 am

Cool stuff :)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:19 am

Well, for Varsk to reach level 3 he (I) am motivated to fight at least three more battles. That is, of course, if the three times to learn a maneuver burns superiority die 😉.

Kobold seem a good place to start honing his skills.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:36 am

All righty, a new character question for you guys:

What is a non-essential thing you'd never go adventuring without?

PS If I don't get an action for Syli by tomorrow, I'll assume she's not doing anything for now and we'll move on.