Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Well, thinking of Inspiration, I'll apologise in advance, because I have a feeling if I go all-in on "Self-centred noble" it's going to be somewhat irritating.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:25 pm

:lol: That's what Flaws are for!

I've made the assumption that you all traveled from Norbrook together FYI, since boat travel really is the only easy way of getting to Hightown and Norbrook was the closest port (you can't cross that channel between the Kingsways by boat; hence the bridge).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:36 pm

My flaw is wanting to steal everything...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Well at least I didn't roll the carnal pleasure flaw. That one would have been troublesome, whichever pleasure I went with :P
Actually, what are the different carnal pleasures? Lust, Greed, Gluttony, are there any others?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Presumably anything stimulating physical pleasure and could be considered "excessive" by some measure. Eating beyond sustenance, shagging without procreating; drinking to get drunk... that kind of thing.

There are 7 cardinal sins, but they're a little different (and include sloth, wrath envy and pride as well as the 3 you mentioned).

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Ok, we're off! Fyi, small actions of minimal consequence will be dealt with as I see them, larger actions will go in the daily update. Feel free to talk as much as you like for free, and if you know the skill roll you'd need for a particular situation you're welcome to go ahead and roll it. I'll interpret when I see it and let you know the outcome :)

Otherwise, I'll aim for daily big updates and as many small ones as you guys give me to deal with. Hopefully it works for the timezones, but shout if you feel you're being left behind or anything while we figure out the ropes.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:20 pm

Awesome :)

So, in weekdays I don't think I'll post much more than the update response. Simply due to time.
As for "filler actions" Darr├╝k will most likely be lean back in conversations, and active in discussions...

That said, I think I lost some point some where.. Are we supposed to stay for two days and then move on with the boat, or are we moving on from here today?
-Best regards LAYF

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:45 pm

I thought this was our destination, where our venture will be based?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:45 pm

No, you're staying in Hightown to set up shop and start a new life. The boat leaving is for flavour :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:14 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:"Wait up, for Kal get himsel lost." Gwen does not move from her position but instead makes a minor illusion of a slightly smaller version of herself as Kal hears a voice in his head. [We can't have you being lost so soon! Follow my illusion!] Gwen has her illusion meet back with the group.

Awakened Mind and Minor Illusion? Both have a range of 30ft. Not sure how far back he is, might be able to make an illusion on the main roadway he can see, but Awakened Mind, you'd need to see him for it to work. The illusion you can make with Minor Illusion is static, it takes higher level ones to be able to make them move, RAW. Could cast it multiple times and make a series of arrows or the like though.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:18 pm

I figured he was still LoS. Since he just turned down the road. The arrows could work. I didn't realize minor illusion was static, but it still works.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:I figured he was still LoS. Since he just turned down the road. The arrows could work. I didn't realize minor illusion was static, but it still works.
Yeah, it is a bit limited in being Minor, but within its constraints still allows for a lot of creative uses. I'll have to share with you some of my favorites... at least one of which would be a fun combo with Korrik, especially if I cross him into rogue. >:D
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Nope, Kal went down a sidestreet lined with tall buildings, so you definitely can't see through them to see him :P

And honestly, I cannot wait for Nemeia (my Sundered Way rogue for those not following it) to get more magic stuff to screw around with! Prestidigitation + Minor Illusion + Thaumaturgy is just going to be a TON of fun.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:40 pm

Yeah, you won't even need help as Nemeia... Basically, make a barrel that can be hid in for some nice surprise sneak attacks. Just has to fit in a 5ft cube, which is enough to hold pretty much any Medium sized character if they crouch.

I've used this with my RL party's halfling rogue, surprised some baddies when he popped out behind them and gave them the ol' stabby, stabby.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:49 am

thinkslogically wrote:
Arch Lich Burns wrote:-SNIP-
In future, if you could (all) state exactly what spells / abilities you're using to try and do a thing it'll save me a ton of time :) Thanks :D
-SNIP-

Makes sense...
How do you wish we declare prepared spells, just each morning?
(Just noted that Blass and Cure wounds always prepared for me, so next short rest i must change preparations....
-Best regards LAYF

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:06 am

Just a heads-up, I'm not going to be able to post at all today; I'm going to be at work all day. Sorry!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:48 am

LAYF: yup, each morning just post in the game thread what your prepared spells are for the day. If you don't I'll assume you're not changing them from the day before :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:10 am

So I was thinking about how I'll handle certain skill checks in this game, and I like the idea of (very) low rolls indicating that you've made a mistake (like Kal following the wrong person down an alley), or a bad insight roll meaning you misjudge a person or similar.

This would be different to simply failing to get information or a read on someone.

However, that introduces something more like a fumble mechanic for skills and I wanted to get your opinion on it before we went much further.

Using this option would be a judgement call on my part so as not to screw you over, and they wouldn't apply in combat (e.g. rolling an attack roll of 1 is always a miss, but you're not going to drop your weapon or punch yourself in the face for it).

I just think it adds a bit of realism to some of the checks. If you are OK with that, I'll was also thinking I'd offer you an int check afterwards to see if you realise you've made a mistake.

Does that sound like a good idea or overly complex?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:47 am

...So apparently we are doing a skit where everybody gets lost in the first few minutes of the game, scrambling around to find each other only getting more and more lost.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:48 am

I'm fine with it whichever way you want to do it. Not a huge fan of fumble charts for combat (though the GM of my RL game uses them), as they are often randomly dumb. I'm not above making a weapon get stuck in tree trunk, etc. myself, but treat crit fails based on the environment and what make sense rather than a random table. So I'd rather it be at your discretion, which is what you seem to be suggesting anyway. Some checks are going to lend themselves to it better than others, as there might be a better range of ways in which it can go wrong. Or you might just have to keep it varied to avoid too much meta knowledge piling up... (eg, Insight check botched, "Yeah, this guy's evil!" means he's not, vs.. "They way he's looking at you... he might just have a thing for dwarven males.")
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:50 am

EXactly. I want it to add flavour but not screw the game (or slow combat into to a comedy sketch of nonsense), and I also don't like fumble charts - a 1 in 20 chance of a fumble is just too high.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:02 am

Well, for me, fumble charts would be almost a non issue, just as they are for the halfling in our RL game. I can re-roll any 1's that come up on a d20, so would have to roll back to back, so a 1 in 400 chance for me to crit fail. In which case, yeah, I probably deserve something bad happening.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:40 am

I think fumble for skills is fine... As long as it's not major setbacks, but rather small side tracks so to speak, or as you said, miss information...
I'm all for it
-Best regards LAYF

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:54 am

I'm cool with it. Wandering down the wrong alley makes a lot of sense, and adds flavor.

(Do I get anything for my natural 20?)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler