The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:04 am

By the core rules, a nat 20 is an auto-success and a nat 1 is an auto-fail. Everything beyond that is discretionary and for flavour, so you won't always get an extra bonus for rolling a 20, but sometimes you might get an extra bit of information, find a slightly better version of a treasure, barter slightly better etc. etc. It's basically the opposite of what I intend to do with nat 1s :) Sometimes it'll just be a success as usual; other times it'll be just a bit better than that.

Like I said in recruitment, I very much prefer to DM in a collaborative sort of way, so if you ever feel like a particular rule isn't working for you in-game or could be improved somehow, just post here and we can chat about how to make it work.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:14 pm

Works for me.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:12 pm

I'm good with the fumble rule.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:10 am

Gonna be going to the city tomorrow. It'll be a full day thing, so I don't know if I'll have time to post at all.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:48 am

I'm good with that (the fumble rule, that is). If these dice don't let up, I'll get a lot of mileage out of them. :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Do you want checks to see how good we are at following the directions given to us?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:39 pm

No, I think that is definitely too trivial for a roll :lol:

I'll have you an update shortly, I was RL D&Ding today.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:47 pm

This was the wrap-up to your campaign?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:08 pm

It was aye. Three and a half years we've been playing that game starting in 4e then (thankfully) making the switch to 5e pretty much as soon as it came out. I think we played the first part of LMOP, dropped 4e on the spot and never looked back.

It's been cool. I'm a little sad to be stepping away from the DM's chair, but also super excited to be a player again :) the sundered way has been a massive help in reigniting a lot of my enthusiasm for the game in general though, so thanks for running it - it's really helped remind me of all the little things that make this game fun to play (rather than just churning out encounters every session) :)

Anyway, I'll not bore you with the details, but I also finished up by getting them these as a kind of congratulations / thanks for putting up with my random, poorly planned adventures for 3 years :lol:

https://www.artisandice.com/order/assorted-d20s/

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 am

So LAYF mentioned passive skills in his last post and besides Perception, I'd honestly never realised they officially existed!

See: http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... -passively

So there we go. I'll probably follow the suggestions of the PHB and just use it for hidden checks, but it didn't occur to me that it could apply to skills other than Perception! You live and learn.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:55 am

I ind passive tests are a lot of help, especially as a GM, as they suggest in the link, it allows you to know that your players don't know something without them knowing that they don't know something that they could know ;) :P
*Sorry, i had to.

Yea, Understand that choice, as I said, it was a mix up from my side, was sure take 10 was still there, but only Passive tests stands the trail :)
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:17 am

Aye, I've been using passive perception and a handwavey version of it in the RL campaign without really realising (e.g. the wizard will notice magic first), but it was based on my knowing their characters rather than their stats array. I'll figure out this game eventually!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:30 am

Heh, Passive Perception is definitely the most widely used, and lends itself to passive checks more than some of the others. I think I've also used Passive Insight and Investigation in TSW.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:07 am

Aye, there's definitely a few circumstances I can think of where they'd be handy. I'll probably end up using a mix of judgement (would something be fun / interesting if it happened) and passives... Not that it completely matters to you guys cos you won't know what I'm up to anyway :lol:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:17 am

... Passive investigation?

Well, I guess it worked for Mycroft Holmes.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Do we have a name for our venture? Probably would have been better to have the contact leave the deed of sale under the company name rather than personal names?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Indeed it would! All your plans shall fall apart because none of you took Knowledge: Obscure Fantasy Contract Law.

<evil laugh>

(Please don't make me create a working legal system!)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:36 pm

If only my experience in subverting Maritime Law applied! Curses!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:38 am

thinkslogically wrote:The primary "Good" pantheon consists of:
  • Avandra, goddess of change and luck (popular with risk-takers and the unlucky) - Chaotic Good
  • Corellon, god of magic and the arts (popular with wizards and bards) - Chaotic Good
  • Kord, god of strength and storms (popular with sailors) - Chaotic Neutral
  • Pelor, god of the sun and agriculture (particularly popular in Estmark) - Neutral Good
  • Moradin, god of creation (popular with dwarves) - Lawful Good
  • Raven Queen, goddess of death (not exactly popular, she is nonetheless revered) - Lawful Neutral
These would probably be the ones to choose from, Wears, if you want a main religion.
My game:

My characters:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:33 am

Oh, where was that? I missed seeing it. (Edit: NM. I see it now. Just missed seeing that spoiler. Thanks.)

That's a tough call. I suppose Pelor would be closest. Or maybe Moradin? Neither really fits the elven god of nature and healing I had in mind. I might have to go with a minor deity.

Thinks, would it mess things up if I did that? Should I just go with Pelor? I suppose he's close enough.

Edit: Okay, you want to keep the pantheon small, and there's been no direct contact with the gods. So, sure. Aspect of Pelor. With maybe an elven sect that has its own twist on the lore, given that it's been so long.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:25 am

Nope! go for it. In much the same way as there are hundreds of different flavours of Christianity / Islam / Judaism etc., there can be different churches to the same gods here. Perhaps the elves simply interpret "agriculture" as nature / fertility?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:02 am

That's what I ended up doing, yeah. :)

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 am

...yes it was! Sorry, I'm apparently late to the party today. Carry on!

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:05 pm

No worries. Not like I've never done that. I didn't even see you'd posted the pantheon.

► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:46 pm

Five copper on Gwen assisting the lady eventually getting us into trouble with some sort of thief's guild.
My game:

My characters: