► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:26 pm

((Fair enough))

All right, let's have initiative rolls for the Lizard Group in case we need them.

Artho: Initiative: 1D20+4 = [12]+4 = 16
Kal: Initiative: 1D20+1 = [12]+1 = 13

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:14 am

Merric is super ready to spring into action!

Merric initiative: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:00 pm

Druid Group

"I'm... not familiar with the names of the local tribes. Do either of those use a bloody red claw sigil to mark their territory?"
"Oh... umm... No. I think there's a red-claw tribe further south, but I've never seen anything like that mark near the tiger's territory... I think the tiger is pretty far to the north of the red claws. You know, where the jungle gets REALLY old? Maybe not... I dunno if you've been there... Anyway, the tribes there seem to be more interested in fire. Think they hatch their eggs in fires in the hills or something... I dunno. I'm not that interested in being a lizard, and that all gets a bit too close to the hyena-folk for my tastes."

--------------------------------

Lizard Group

Initiative Order
Merric
Ceiling spider
Artho (investigating the canoe)
Kal (behind Korrik)
Black spider
Korrik

Merric opens the door and steps into the little hut. A fat, black spider scurries into a thick web on the floor in the far corner, and he sees the floor and walls in front of him are covered in scores of tiny, regular-size spiders that scurry away from the sudden sunlight. Suddenly, something pale moves overhead and catches his eye, and he spins just in time to see a big, pale grey spider (about as big as himself) lunge at him from above the doorframe, a pair of wet mandibles reaching for his torso...

((Merric is currently surprised, but JUST beat the spider's initiative so can take a reaction if he wants to. As it stands, the attack will hit.))

((I've assumed that Kal is with the hut-investigating party.))

----------------------------------------------------

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:26 pm

Nothing for Merric to do
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:47 pm

Kal will attack when able. Melee if possible. Bow if he can't do that and has a clear shot.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:42 am

All right, let's have a CON save from Merric then :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:51 am

((Looks like theis is swamped at the minute, so for expediency, I made the roll:
CON save: 1D20+3 = [3]+3 = 6))

The spider's fangs bite deep into Merric's shoulder and he feels a burning toxin begin to spread through his body, stiffening his muscles until he collapses, unconscious on the ground.

Korrik sees this attack go down in front of him, but also notices a pair of metallic bands clamped around the base of the spider's legs. They don't seem to be attached to anything - it's almost like a decoration.
► Show Spoiler
Artho doesn't notice anything wrong and continues messing with the canoe.

Kal barges past Korrik, and swings fiercely at the pale spider with his battleaxe, just managing to catch the creature with a heavy blow to its fat abdomen as it tries, unsuccessfully to evade the strike. Kal also notices the bands clamped around the base of its legs.
The fat black spider in the corner hisses and raises its body off the ground, disgorging a stringy ball of sticky webbing at Kal, but the attack goes wide and Kal is unaffected.
Korrik's up

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:59 am

"Ah, fork, fork, fork!"

I run up and whiff with my useless staff I never hit with.

Staff: 1D20+6 = [2]+6 = 8
1D8+4 = [3]+4 = 7

Before more successfully kicking the spider.

Kick: 1D20+6 = [8]+6 = 14
1D4+4 = [2]+4 = 6

"Ewww, gross!"

((Yeah, that bite would *nearly* mean instant death for me! :shock: ))
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:35 am

(( >:D It's fine, come on in!))

Korrik leaps into the welcoming darkness of the little hut, rushing to the aid of his friend new acquaintance weird new travelling companion. His staff attack is easily avoided by the pale spider, but Korrik plants his staff firmly onto the floor of the hut and uses him momentum to land a solid blow to the creature's face. It is looking reaaaaally rough.

Merric remains on the floor, unmoving as blood and ichor ooze from his shoulder.

The pale spider quivers angrily as its limbs seems to shimmer between translucence and opacity and the metal bands glow. It lunges at Kal, but just gets a mouthful of armoured boot.
Kal brings his battleaxe down on the creature with a sickening crunch, and the little spider crumples into a twitching heap next to Merric's body.
The black spider hisses in annoyance, and spits at Kal again, this time hitting him in the joints of his armour and holding him fast. Kal is now restrained.
Back to Korrik

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:37 am

I duck into the room, headed for the black spider. "Ick, ick, ick!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:00 am

As Korrik runs towards the fat black spider (trying to ignore all the tiny little spiders crunching underfoot), he is aware of a very strange sensation of brightness creeping in on his vision as he rushes towards the welcoming shadows in the corner... And they DO seem to be welcoming him, just waiting to respond to his will...

He lands a heavy double-blow to the fat black spider, which recoils at the attack, before regathering itself and rearing up aggressively.

You hear Artho's voice call in from outside:
"Is everything all right in there? This canoe looks serviceable if we can haul it out!"

Merric oozes quietly.

Kal struggles to get free of the sticky webbing, but can't break free. The fat spider bites at Korrik, but he's too fast for it and dodges easily out of the way.
Back to Korrik!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:03 am

"There's forking spiders up here! Kal, can you reach Merric?!"

((Is Merric obviously in the process of dying?))

I swing my occasionally useful staff, following it up with another kick.
► Show Spoiler
((The shadows bit is noted, but Korrik is prioritizing these gross spiders before trying to puzzle out what all that means!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:08 am

((And I have noted that you noted it :) But reroll that 1; halflings don't have to tolerate 1s!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:12 am

((Yup, caught that after the fact and edited it in already!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:15 am

Ninja'd!

Korrik rains his staff and feet down on the spider, and it dies as its skeleton finally gives way under the fury of blows.

Merric is oozing, unmoving, and seems to be unconscious. That's all you're really aware of without a medicine check.

Kal still can't get himself free. ((We'll stay on turn order for the moment, but there are no more threats in the hut))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:17 am

I scurry to the other halfling's side. "Merric, you ok?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:19 am

Korrik rushes over to the other halfling's aid. He's definitely unconscious, and the wound on his shoulder looks pretty damn gross, but despite all that, he seems to still be alive.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:24 am

((If Kal's still stuck when I have a chance to do something, I'll try to rip the webbing off him.))

STR: 1D20 = [17] = 17
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:33 am

Merric oozes, Kal remains stuck (somehow!) and Artho finally shows up in the doorway just in time to see Korrik easily tear the spider webs off Kal's armour.
"What the-- what happened!? Are you all right?"

Kal kneels beside Merric and casts Lay on Hands, to restore Merric to 1HP.

The wound on Merric's shoulder knits closed a little, but otherwise nothing happens.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:55 am

"Yeah, we're ok... I think. Merric was flirting with the spiders and they gave him a love kiss. Should be clear now."

I check out the bands on the legs of the gray spider, trying to overcome my revulsion, and as things calm down have a bit of a look around the little hut, keeping an eye on the shadows.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:40 am

((We're off turn order now))

The bands aren't glowing any more, but Korrik does notice a delicate script etched into the surface of the bands. Now that the spider is dead, he also notices that there's a fairly sturdy metal chain linking the two rings on the right side of the body, to those on the left. The chains cross the belly of the creature in a weird twisting pattern that looks simultaneously deliberate, and also a complete mess.

Kal looks a little more closely at Merric, confused about why he's not recovering properly.

"I think he's paralysed."

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:14 am

"Yeah, I kinda figured that'd be too convenient." Syli says with a sigh. "My group's going to be heading out tomorrow morning, and I was hoping we might be able to detour there, but from the sounds of things..."

"...Anyway, I'd still be interested in learning anything else you have to offer, if you're still interested in teaching?"
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:21 am

"He's gonna recover though, right?"

"Artho! Merric got bit by a spider and is paralyzed. I think we ought to make sure it's cleared out up here and hole up until Kal can get him back on his feet!"

Korrik will use the butt of his staff to squish any little spiders and generally make sure the place is safe, likewise using the staff to remove any clinging bits of webbing and sticking it in a corner.

((So the bands weren't joined by chains when it was alive? Those were only visible after it died?, or high up on the leg where they couldn't be seen?))

"We should take a closer look at those bands too."

((Trying not to do ALL the things, but since its me, a knocked out PC, a medically on hiatus from the forums PC, and an NPC, I guess Korrik is running back and forth to check on stuff. Let me know what rolls you'd like?))

((Also looking to pinpoint whiff of decay.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler