Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 25, 2018 10:42 am

((so is Merric hiding himself and the guard post, or just the guard post?

Korrik, where would you like to hide out? There's space in the branches above the guard post or nearby trees for example, but you'd probably want to tie yourself in to sleep. Or you could trust your luck and hang out in a shadowy part of the guard post. If Merric's hiding, he can choose where too.))

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:49 pm

If no one else seems interested in the guard post, then he'll just hide himself as he used to do before meeting the group :)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 25, 2018 7:13 pm

Tucking away in the guard post. Doesn't see much use in trying to hide a guard post.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun May 27, 2018 10:28 am

Syli glances around the camp a bit after Goroth leaves, then sighs. She somehow expected a camp of druids to contain actual... well, druids. Rather than wait with the others around the campfire, she decides its time to poke around a bit, although her heart isn't really in it.

Syli... [rolls]
...Perception (+5): 8
...Investigation (+1): 12

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 27, 2018 1:04 pm

((How does she know they're not? :P))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 27, 2018 3:58 pm

Druid Group
"While your tunin' up for your song you can tell us a bit about what you've seen gettin' here. Any angry lizardfolk?"
"Hmm? No, nothing like that. We met a couple of wood elves who came to our camp to listen to my music for a little while. They didn't stay long, but they gave us directions to find this place if we needed somewhere safe to rest."

"We are here to rescue kidnapping victims of the lizardmen. Unfortunately the lizards are proving more numerous, prepared, and vicious than anticipated. Learning of some odd events, we came to meet with the druids in hopes they could provide aid."
The woman frowns and looks to her companions, before replying:
"We have heard of no such troubles, and certainly seen nothing of the sort... What sort of odd events do you mean?"

One of the halflings by the fire stops stirring the stew and looks up
"If there was trouble brewing in the swamps, people would surely have been talking about in Rhul, don't you think? Who's been kidnapped? I bet it's just some city folk wandering into places they shouldn't be and offending someone."

Tam seems disappointed at the lack of entertainment, and takes himself a little ways off from the fire to settle himself in a cushion of thick moss and starts playing a peaceful, thoughtful sort of tune on his flute. It's hard not to stop and just listen.

Syli sighs, disappointed that their search for a druid enclave has apparently turned up so few druids. Leaving the others to their cooking and discussions, she takes herself off for a walk around the immediate vicinity. The trees here are tall and wide, with broad trunks and boughs, and the ground underfoot is soft and springy and rich. During her wanderings, she notices that a few of the trees have small charms or ribbons tied to them, and a couple more have small piles of flowers or shiny stones laid amongst their roots. The floating magical lights are soon joined by little clusters of fireflies as the darkness of the evening spreads through the trees.

A deep, rich voice from behind surprises her.

"I see my map was some use to you then."

--------------------------------------------------------

Lizard Group

Kal and Artho follow the others' lead, and tuck themselves away into the shadows around the guard post as best they can. Artho opts to hide out in a slightly higher vantage point, settling himself into the crook of two large boughs and leaning back against the trunk. Leaving Merric to take first watch, the group settle in for the evening.
Merric prepares himself for the evening's first watch. Pouring his seawater into the little wooden bowl, he swirls it around a little then plunges his face into it...
► Show Spoiler
A minute passes, then another before Merric finally pulls his head out of the bowl, gasping loudly for air. No-one sees Artho roll his eyes at the odd halfling.

The first watch passes relatively uneventfully for the first part, but it is only a couple of hours into his watch when Merric hears the sounds of approaching footsteps. It sounds like a single humanoid moving easily (if not particularly quietly) through the woods.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun May 27, 2018 5:17 pm

"It wasn't some city folk that got lost, they purposly attacked a large vessel a week or so ago, and they kidnapped various people. I think they knew who the major players of the city are as they kidnapped one of thier daughters. The lizards were talking of sacrificing to thier 'new god'"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun May 27, 2018 6:17 pm

"And they seem to have been targeting the tribes of people who live in these swamps. We have already rescued one such person. As for oddities, there has been something strange about an evil dragon, long dead, but perhaps not without influence. That is for the elders to worry about now, though."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 27, 2018 7:27 pm

"It wasn't some city folk that got lost, they purposly attacked a large vessel a week or so ago, and they kidnapped various people. I think they knew who the major players of the city are as they kidnapped one of thier daughters. The lizards were talking of sacrificing to thier 'new god'"

"And they seem to have been targeting the tribes of people who live in these swamps. We have already rescued one such person. As for oddities, there has been something strange about an evil dragon, long dead, but perhaps not without influence. That is for the elders to worry about now, though."

The woman gives you a look and glances to her companions. The halfling cook drops his spoon and stares at Mehriv.

"There's a DRAGON?!
"But... We left Rhul five days ago, and we didn't hear anything about any kidnappings!
Maybe... Maybe... I mean, it's really hot out here. Have you been drinking enough water?

Tam keeps playing, but you could swear he was trying not to laugh.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon May 28, 2018 12:16 am

Mehr snorts, "You left a whole five days ago, and don't actually know exactly where you are at the moment. I am certain the druids have methods of travel which cannot be thought of as normal. They may know their way to this place from any natural environment."

What roll should I be making to know where Rhul is in relation to Hightown?
Last edited by Dlover on Mon May 28, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon May 28, 2018 2:07 am

Merric will try to see who's coming, keeping his eyes out especially near where the others are sleeping in case the unknown humanoid gets close to them or they woke up and are about
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon May 28, 2018 3:57 am

Varsk decides these happy campers aren't going to be worth much information wise and instead goes over to Tam and looks down at him.

"You got time for a couple of questions...Tam was it?"

If he doesn't respond within half a minute or so Varsk will just walk the perimeter of the clearing looking into the the surrounding woods.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon May 28, 2018 6:27 am

Dlover wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:16 amWhat roll should I be making to know where Rhul is in relation to Hightown?
Just take a look at the map on the ooc page (but open it in a new tab because this new forum doesn't let you click and zoom). It would be common enough knowledge for a worldly guy like Mehr :)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon May 28, 2018 6:40 am

((Probably a pretty famous place considering it is where the high elves interact with the assorted lesser races of the world :P))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon May 28, 2018 6:53 am

(( ~ 200km... So it's feasible to have covered that distance in five days. About 50km per day shouldn't be too difficult, assuming they're used to travel and haven't been slogging through swamp the entire time... This requires a bit of correcting. ))

"You left an entire five days ago. The trouble with the Hightown merchant family occurred maybe a week ago, a little more, but while word could travel that quickly, I doubt it would be widespread... Well, it does confirm one thing, though. This space is somewhere the druids can find from anywhere. If you only left Rhul five days ago it should be impossible for you to have made it anywhere near Hightown in that time."
Last edited by Dlover on Mon May 28, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon May 28, 2018 8:14 am

((yeah word could feasibly have made it via messenger bird or magic. Ships (by sea) wouldn't make it that direction yet because the tide is running anticlockwise right now, and travel by foot would be almost impossible through the dense jungle. You guys can probably travel about 10km per day through difficult terrain.

The trouble would have happened about a week ago tho, and I think longer? I'll need to check... Brb

Back! Ok, the boat floated into hightown on Day 2, and you guys decided to split up on Day 9 so it's Day 10-11 for the druid group. FWIW, each spoiler tab in the update index represents a new day (sort of; except the boat trip) so it's easy-ish to count. I just haven't updated that in a little bit.))
Last edited by thinkslogically on Mon May 28, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon May 28, 2018 9:54 am

Syli startles a bit at being addressed, before turning to the speaker. "Yes, yes it was. It's funny; I was wondering if you were going to come here, or were content to simply stay where you were."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon May 28, 2018 6:36 pm

((Wow, okay, it's been a lot longer than I thought. Well, that finalises my response though.))
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon May 28, 2018 6:48 pm

((I'll take a perception check from Merric please, at disadvantage since it's so dark))

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:22 pm

Merric is briefly blind as a bad but blinking once and believing in the true god gave him the blessing of night vision apparently

Merric perception: 2D20.LOW(1)+1 = [17, 1]+1 = 2
Halfling luck: 1D20+1 = [19]+1 = 20

So a surprising 18 perception :lol:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue May 29, 2018 2:54 pm

Druid Group

Syli turns around to face the speaker. Standing before her is a female dwarf with bright tawny gold eyes and waxed hair pulled back in a tight plait. She is otherwise dressed in a plain, dark tunic, with a simple rope belt cinched around her waist.

"Yes, yes it was. It's funny; I was wondering if you were going to come here, or were content to simply stay where you were."
"I often come and go. I have learned a great deal here."

"You got time for a couple of questions...Tam was it?"
Tam looks up and nods, but doesn't stop playing.

Mehriv continues his discussions
"You left an entire five days ago. The trouble with the Hightown merchant family occurred maybe a week ago, a little more, but while word could travel that quickly, I doubt it would be widespread... Well, it does confirm one thing, though. This space is somewhere the druids can find from anywhere. If you only left Rhul five days ago it should be impossible for you to have made it anywhere near Hightown in that time.

"Wait! You came here from Hightown? Holy smokes! That's a long way!
"Can we get to Hightown from here do you think? Can you imagine how convenient that would make travelling between the two cities?"
"Did you two forget the dragon part of his story?"

-------------------------------------------

Lizard Group

Merric looks towards the sound, blinks a bit and then sees it. Beneath the trees to the south, a small figure, wrapped almost entirely in black cloth is stepping carefully over the tree roots, casting its head from side to side as if searching for something. Strangely, the creature's shadow doesn't match its shape, instead appearing to take the form of some sort of four-legged beast, like a wolf or some kind of hound. It flickers in and out of the shadows of the trees, and makes Merric wonder if it's attached to the small humanoid figure at all... The humanoid glances upwards towards the guard post and squints its dark eyes towards the post. Merric freezes, but the figure's eyes pass over him and it continues onwards, moving steadily towards the north and disappearing quickly into the shadows of the night.
► Show Spoiler
The rest of his watch passes quietly, with Kal then Artho taking over the night watches. Korrik is awoken in the pre-dawn dim light to take over for the last couple of hours while Merric finishes his long rest but besides the dawn flurry of biting insects (which are happily kept mostly at bay by Kal's lemonleaf supplies), nothing else alarming happens through the night's watch. You organise yourselves for the day ahead and prepare to move on.

It is now around 8 am

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue May 29, 2018 6:42 pm

"I imagine it is simply a matter of the druids being able to find their way to this safe place and back. As for the dragon, it is supposedly long dead. The druids' elders will contemplate on whether we are simply mistaken about its influence."
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 pm

Dlover wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:42 pm "I imagine it is simply a matter of the druids being able to find their way to this safe place and back. As for the dragon, it is supposedly long dead. The druids' elders will contemplate on whether we are simply mistaken about its influence."
"Oh... Well that's good about the dragon then. Can't say I want to run into one of them, no matter where it is."
The halfling picks up his spoon and wipes it off on his shirt before plopping it back into the stew pot.
"This'll be five minutes, then the fire's all yours."

"So which of you is a druid then? Baryon here has an uncanny way with plants, and his little brother Freyd here has quite an affinity with wildlife. I just like music, and right now, we're not entirely sure why we got invited here. The fellow who gave us the directions vanished soon afterwards and we've not seen him since."

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue May 29, 2018 7:57 pm

"Ah. Then perhaps there's some hope for me to learn something other than what insects enjoy the taste of elf around here?" Syli responds with a light laugh. She then pauses, thinking back to that night. "Er, speaking of which, no hard feelings about that arrow, right? I must've put on quite a spectacle that night... I'm Syli, by the way." She says, finally introducing herself to her seeming benefactor.