Dlover
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dlover » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:44 pm

Mehr replies to the barked question, even though it's not directed at him,
► Show Spoiler
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:09 am

Druid Group

Inside the Hut:
► Show Spoiler
Outside the hut:
► Show Spoiler
Back inside the hut
► Show Spoiler
Gwen is up.

--------------------------------------------

Turn Order

Varsk
Syli
Lizardfolk Group 1 [shed]
Valemgadro
Lizardfolk Group 2 [east]
Vaceran
Gwen <------
Mehriv
Lizardfolk Group 3 [east]

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:25 am

Gwen sinks a dagger into the lizardman's flesh. If he's down, Gwen will run twoards the hut.

Gwen dagger [1d20+5] = 10+5 = 15[1d4+3] = 3+3 = 6

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:54 am

((It does not go down. He's actually still looking pretty strong.))

Gwen just manages to get her dagger between the lizardfolk's shield and armor, cutting a deep gash in its arm, but it doesn't seem to particularly care... (You staying put to engage, or willing to risk the run?)

Mehriv is up.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:37 am

(Staying engaged)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:27 pm

So... if all we can do is take a long rest, I'll use the rest of my healing on whoever needs it, prepare spells for tomorrow, do whatever I can with the bandages and poultices, and get some sleep.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:04 pm

((Sounds good. I was leaving a pause for anyone else to contribute to the scouting-for-weapons plan if they wanted but mostly it sounds like it's all about the healing right now. I'm out tonight but will update in the morning))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:12 pm

((I was assuming scouting for weapons meant getting hauled underwater again. Rather stay near Kal in case the healing fails and we need to fight or charm our way out.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:30 pm

((Yeah, it would probably be too much for you guys to make the trip, but it was in case you insisted or had sensible suggestions for them mostly))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:49 pm

((That does remind me of something I meant to have Korrik ask...))

"You say these creatures stepped out of the shadows? Does anyone know anything about them?"

((Could he make a roll of some sort to see if that sounds like anything he's heard of?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:12 pm

Mehr strikes the nearby lizardman with another fire bolt.
1d20+3+2 = [14] = 19,
1d10 = [6] = 6
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:27 pm

(Yeah, I just assumed that he was sending his fastest scouts who already knew the way and all that better than we did, and was hoping they'd be back in time to do something useful.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:35 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:49 pm ((That does remind me of something I meant to have Korrik ask...))

"You say these creatures stepped out of the shadows? Does anyone know anything about them?"

((Could he make a roll of some sort to see if that sounds like anything he's heard of?))
((Sure, you can try Arcana, History, Nature, or a straight INT check, depending on the flavour of information you'd like))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:40 pm

((Well, I don't have any better modifiers in one than another, so just straight INT?))

Shadow creatures? : 1d20 = [20] = 20
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:49 am

Lizard Group

Kal
As Kal settles in for a night staying close to K’tharis, the other lizardfolk bring him bedding to lie on and enough food for the group, and continue their vigil over their fallen warrior through the night while the half-elf rests nearby. Kal sleeps, his sleep punctuated by dreams of his forest home, as the smells of the healing herbs and spices in the poultices reminding him of all the remedies that he himself has used and developed over the course of his young life. In his dreams, he finds himself in the role of an apprentice to a faceless, older, wiser master herbalist or apothecary perhaps. Under the master's kind and gentle guidance he is happy and confident: his hands move surely and precisely as he mixes strange roots and herbs together; he is confident in his decisions, and even though he knows he working at a level far beyond what he knows he is actually capable of, when he wakes in the morning, and the dream fades back into the reality of his situation, the sense of well-being and confidence remains with him.

Kal has advantage on Nature and Medicine checks today, for anything related to creating natural remedies.

--------------------------------------

Korrik
As he settles in for the evening, Korrik finally remembers where he's heard about these strange creatures before. There was an old fairy tale that his aunt used to tell him as a boy about strange fey creatures called darklings that would come out at night with their dogs to stalk naughty children and anyone who was stupid enough to be caught in the wilds alone at night. From what he remembers, there was a tale of someone who was being chased by one, but managed to escape by tricking the shadowling that was chasing him into following him too far from the shadows as the dawn broke, burning up the darkling in a flash of burning light.

The tale was supposed to frighten him into staying in the civilised lands, but the lesson evidently didn't take.

---------------------------------------

((Druid group update will be up later / tomorrow))

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:30 pm

Kal goes to check on the patient and see if he can do anything to improve the poultices.

Medicine: 2d20 = [12, 2]. 12+3 = 15

How does he look? And do we have any idea how soon we can expect the scouts back? Also, how are the rest of the party doing after the near-drowning yesterday?

(In order to cure poison, I have to identify what I'm trying to cure. I prepared detect poison, but I only have two spells for the day and it seems like it would be more effective to try to identify it from the dagger than to cast it on just the wound. So I need to figure out if it's okay to wait. And what I can do for him in the meantime.)

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:25 pm

((RAW, I don't think paladin Lay on Hands need know what the poison is, in order to purge it?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:08 pm

((I would briefly like to make a quick distinction between the "poisoned status" and "plot-challenge-infection-following a life-threatening, poison-related injury". The latter is basically a puzzle / skill challenge with more requirements than usual to figure out otherwise it wouldn't be quite so interesting :) Knowing the poison in this case might give you more information on the best ways to heal the injury with medicine / magic / divine intervention / whatever you think of. Otherwise - yeah poison is poison as far as curing the status effect with LoH is concerned))

Lizard Group
Kal moves to K'tharis's side and checks him over again. The wound in his leg is no better for the healing and has started oozing again, but the large creature seems to be tenaciously holding onto life for the time being. He seems a little worse than he was last night - there's a bit of a rattle to his breathing and his temperature is colder than it seems like it should be, but it will likely still take days for the creature to finally succumb to the injury. Healing him remains far from certain however... Over the course of the morning, Kal is shown the stores of herbs available to the healers, and is able to supplement a few of his own to try to help a bit, though there is nothing particularly potent in the stores. There may be more to find in the caves of the cenote of course, but he would need time to search and a guide. Examining the wound again as he cleans it and replaces the poultice, Kal wonders whether cutting away some of the dead and infected tissue might help. It would be a tricky task though...

Over the course of the morning, Artho seems to become increasingly agitated at K'tharis's state and increasingly removes himself from the area where the warrior is being cared for.

The hunting party are not expected to return until late evening at least, perhaps tomorrow morning if they are waylaid.

Korrik does what he can to help, but the work is largely beyond him and while he is certainly helpful, he often finds his mind wandering.

--------------------------------------------------

Druid Group

Inside the Hut:
► Show Spoiler
Varsk is up.

--------------------------------------------

Turn Order

Varsk (17 / 25 HP) <------
Syli (21 / 21 HP)
Lizardfolk Group 1 [shed]
Valemgadro
Lizardfolk Group 2 [east]
Vaceran
Gwen (16 / 21 HP)
Mehriv (11 / 14 HP)
Lizardfolk Group 3 [east]

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:32 pm

(Oh. I guess I misread the SRD, which says lay hands can cure one poison at a time. So I assumed, in combination with needing the dagger, that I needed to figured out which poison I wanted to cure. But, yeah, plot poison makes sense.)

Kal thinks through his herbal lore to figure out if there might be good ingredients in the nearby environment, and if so where best to look for them.

2d20 = [19, 19] + 3 = 22

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:56 pm

((think of it like a skill challenge- if you suggest sensible actions, you can try them and we'll see if they work :) there's no one set of things you MUST do to save this guy, it's pretty flexible, you just need to succeed more than you fail :) ))

Kal wanders the caves a little and thinks back to what he knows. He does remember hearing about a vivid yellow fungus that can be dried out and then mixed with alcohol to make a potent healing salve. It probably wouldn't help with the blood poisoning, but it might help cleanse the wound itself. Unfortunately, he's only ever seen the powder, but the colour was extremely memorable...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:56 pm

((Wears, anything you need Korrik for, he's willing to help. Has a untrained +2 in Medicine from his WIS mod, but Nature is only a +0. If there is anything he can provide advantage on just by helping he'd be doing that, unless you have a mission for him. This is definitely out of his league!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:22 am

((Varsk is going to try and riposte the first club miss))

Riposte skill check: 1d20+6 = [20] = 26

Varsk sees the club go wide and without even needing to think swings at his attacker but doesn't manage to land the hit.

Riposte attack: 1d20+6 = [3] = 9

Shifting his footing he swings back at the same lizardfolk but again doesn't manage to land a hit.

1d20+6 = [7] = 13

Well crap.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:29 am

((not that it matters here, but Im pretty sure I meant for you to make a flat d20 roll on the DC10 maneuvers rather than an attack roll :) ))

(Update on it's way...))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:33 am

If there are lizard folk about, Korrik will ask Kal to translate the bit he partially remembers about the darklings being exploded by daylight.

((If he recalled that bit when they were first mentioned, he'd have conveyed that info to the ones going off in search of weapons.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:55 am

thinkslogically wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:29 am ((not that it matters here, but Im pretty sure I meant for you to make a flat d20 roll on the DC10 maneuvers rather than an attack roll :) ))
You'd written athletics/acrobatics check so I just went with Varsk's athletics modifier. Is it a skill check or?