The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:27 am

Varsk seeing the elf run out, seemingly more worried about waking up the old dragonborn, moves closer. He edges around to side of the hut to try see if there are anymore living there and to get a better look at the elf.

Anyone else and elf?: 1D20+4 = [19]+4 = 23

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:19 am

((We'd take anything of value, but Korrik wouldn't see value in a bunch of gross spider egg sacs.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:20 am

Mehr calmly takes the elf's address in stride, standing his ground, "Hm, I see. This is a great shame, as we had hoped this elder would be able to provide us knowledge to aid us in investigating a concern of the druids. Might you perhaps be able to elaborate in his stead?"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:54 am

"Any assistance we can get, would be a great boon to us. We could use as much or as little as you can offer. The dreaded dragon may not be compleatly dead, and there are some that wish to bring him back."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:40 am

"Assumptions and guesses, Gwen. All we can confirm is strange happenings and dragon effigies. But, finding the truth of that matter is why we were directed to this building."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:01 am

Druid Group
Varsk looks surprised at the unexpected appearance of the elf and moves off to the side to get a better look at the house. He doesn't see anyone else here.

The elf listens to what you have to say with concern and pinches the bridge of his nose.

"Aaahh... I can help if I can. Just don't wake him up all right? He's had a bad couple of days. But please, start at the beginning - who are you, and what is this talk of dragons?"

----------------------

Lizard Group
Korrik gathers up everything except the spider eggs, and heads back outside to Artho.

"I think we can use this to move onwards. It looks like the next marker is a hundred feet or so that way. You see it? It's pretty well hidden, but I think it's juuuuust behind that branch."

He points.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:50 am

"If you say it's there, I trust your wood-sense. Let's go!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:17 am

"We shall endeavour to avoid disturbing the elder's rest. As for our story... The lizardfolk in the area have been acting strangely all of a sudden, particularly in attacking the river-faring cityfolk and the swampfolk from their camps, taking captives and killing indiscriminately. While investigating we have found them to be extremely aggressive, in possession of some amulets carved in the form of a dragon with bloody fingerprints on them - having caused immense pain when one person tried placing their own print on its surface - and many fighters with scales of Ash'Karoth implanted on their bodies, or so the druid elders have named the scales, each such lizard marked with a tattoo of ((I think it was an eye?)), and diseased flesh beneath the scales. The druids have tasked us with learning all we may about these circumstances, ensuring followers of Ash'Karoth cannot gain sway. From you we are hoping to learn about this area, the behaviours and traditions of the lizardfolk before they became so hostile, and anything else which may provide aid."
My game:

My characters:

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:04 am

Syli raises an eyebrow at the appearance of the young elf, and her suspicious nature once again rears its head. As Mehriv does the talking, Syli watches the elf carefully, trying to read him and his intentions.

Insight (+3): 12

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:21 pm

"So gloves of not getting stuck, might be for working with the glue like thing in these bottles and making this fine silk spools. All of this seems to relate to getting stuck and unstucked."

Merric will clean the box, while protecting the live eggs and bring them with him in the box.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:06 pm

Druid Group

The man looks surprised and rather taken aback at the amount of information suddenly imparted to him from this stranger, but listens anyway.

"That's quite a tale my friend but I don't know that it concerns us. The man who lives here has always been well-regarded by my people, and many have sought his wisdom and insights over the years. I've been looking out for him for a few years now. Making sure he has food and clean water, keeping him clean... You know the kind of thing. Some of the folk who live in the swamp believe he is a seer, some think he's a witch, some say he's a fallen god if you can believe that! The truth is he's just an old hermit whose mind's unwinding as he comes to the end of his life."

Syli looks at the man. He seems tired and drained, but honest enough.

"He says a lot of strange things you know, even on his good days. On bad days, when he doesn't remember who I am, or where he is, it's even worse. It's hard to help him then and if folk come on those days, he's almost impossible. Scrawling nonsense on the walls, and floor if he can't find paper... Once I had to fight him to stop him carving the runes into his own damn flesh with his claws. Still, some people seem to think there's wisdom in the ramblings and bother him with their questions. It's all nonsense, but they leave happy enough and it seems to keep them from attacking or robbing him at least.

So I don't know what the druids told you, but you won't find any answers from him. I can help you and tell you what I know of the lizardfolk tribes around these parts, but we're not looking to get involved in anything and we certainly don't want to borrow trouble. So - what exactly do you want to know?"

-------------------------------

Lizard Group

Merric brings the box of spider eggs along for the ride.

((I'll get you guys an update tomorrow))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:59 am

Mehr nods, "The druids believed he may have been of some aid, but perhaps those long-lived elders simply weren't aware of his aging. I would be loathe to disturb the peace of any elder, especially so one of my own kind, so I shall heed your request. As for what we would know, let's begin with how many tribes are in the area and their relations to one another."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:33 am

Varsk stays within earshot of the conversation and moves slowly around the hut looking for signs of people (+Lizardfolk) coming and going.

Looking for tracks: 1D20+2 = [12]+2 = 14

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:07 pm

Druid Group

((Are Gwen and Syli doing anything while Mehriv talks?))

----------------------------------

Lizard Group

The group settle themselves and their new stuff into the little canoe and protect it from the rain and drips of swamp water as best they can with some sacking from the house. Kal and Artho take the oars and guide the canoe through the close trees with a minimum of fuss, only needing to stop and backtrack out of tangling roots and vines a couple of times. Merric keeps an impatient eye out for his hawk-friend all afternoon, but the little bird doesn't return.

At one point in the day, a giant python swims by the side of the canoe, but it doesn't seem particularly interested in you and passes by without incident.

At around four o'clock, the trail of markers lead you to a pair of tall, rotting tree stumps. The painted skulls of two giant alligators rest on top of them, and the trunks have been wrapped with animal and monster claws and teeth strung on leather bands.

The trail of markers seems to end here.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:16 pm

"We fear for Ash'Karoth's return, through the lizardmen cults, or them trying to emulate him. People from the city are gettng kidnapped, and they attacked one of the automated boats while it was passing through the rotating bridge. The more time we wait, the less time we have to save innocents."

(sorry for the delay, I find Gwen difficult to rp. Not that I dislike her, just...How do I put it, I don't know her? I don't know how she'd react? With Maji it's easier to know what he's thinking, what he wants, how he would react...)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:35 pm

burns wrote:(sorry for the delay, I find Gwen difficult to rp. Not that I dislike her, just...How do I put it, I don't know her? I don't know how she'd react? With Maji it's easier to know what he's thinking, what he wants, how he would react...)
((That's fair, it's easier to get into the skin of some characters that others. FWIW, I'm more than happy for PCs to be retired and replaced if you're just not enjoying playing her. That goes for everyone - sometimes cool concepts turn into people you struggle to identify with. Like an obnoxious charlatan wizard I made for a one-shot once who sounded like a great idea on paper. I got 10 minutes in and realised I'd made a terrible mistake :lol: ))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:49 pm

(It's not like I don't like her, I just am stuck a lot of time!)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:09 pm

(Fair enough! I may be able to help. Check the OOC :) ))

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Syli for the moment simply lets Mehriv do the talking, scrutinizing the elf's responses.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:14 am

Kal examines the possible shrine.

Religion: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:27 am

Lizard Group
Kal looks up at the structure ahead of them. It seems to be more of a gateway than a shrine per se, but the presence of the alligator skulls is a pretty clear indication to him that the people living here most likely worship the Crocodile God, Semhuana. Kal knows from talking with lizardfolk traders at home that Semhuana is a neutral deity who personifies fertility and strength, and his followers tend to honor those amongst them who embody those traits.

Artho looks around, and in a low voice says:
"It would appear we have found something... Perhaps this is the edge of their territory, but... it seems very quiet."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:18 pm

Druid Group

"The druids believed he may have been of some aid, but perhaps those long-lived elders simply weren't aware of his aging. I would be loathe to disturb the peace of any elder, especially so one of my own kind, so I shall heed your request. As for what we would know, let's begin with how many tribes are in the area and their relations to one another."

"All right, well... let me think... far up to the north, there's the "Burning Tree" clan and another... the "Stone Scales" I think they call themselves. Something like that. The nearest tribe are the "Red Claws" or the "Bleeding Claws" or something. They give themselves such uninventive names it's hard to keep track. There's another clan I know of I think their symbol is a black mouth with lots of teeth and fangs and that kind of thing, but they live pretty far south of here. They all used to send gifts to the old man every couple of months or so, but we've not had contact in... oh - the best part of half a year I guess? Seen a couple of the Red Claws passing by once or twice this past week, but that's been about it for a while. The old man keeps saying its all because of some falling star or something, and keeps insisting they'll be coming back soon to hear his secrets. Had to give him something to make him sleep, he got in such a state about it all."

Varsk stays near enough to the conversation to overhear what's being said while making a walk around the outside of the hut. The elf seems rather distracted by Varsk walking away towards the hut, and he turns around a couple of times to see what he's doing.
► Show Spoiler

The ground is wet and muddy and sure enough, it looks like there are tracks here that seem to be made by lizardfolk. He's not sure exactly how many there might have been, but they look a little smaller than human-size which would fit with the ones you've fought so far. It also looks like there are also some smaller, three-toed tracks in the mud. They also look lizard-like, but maybe from a different species? He follows them towards the back of the hut, but the elf finally hisses in annoyance:

"Hey! I'm sorry, but what are you doing back there? There's nothing there for you."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:52 pm

Varsk looks up at the elf,

"Checkin' for company. As my boss said, we've run into trouble. I see the Lizardfolk tracks you mentioned, but what else has been passin' through? Say to the back of your hut here?"

His hand casually finds its way to rest on the stock of his borrowed crossbow attached to his belt while answering.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:56 pm

"What? Where? I didn't see them near the house..."

He gets up in a hurry to see what Varsk is talking about.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:07 pm

Varsk pulls the crossbow free and moves around the side of the hut scanning the jungle where the tracks came from and where they seem to have went but doesn't see much.

Ambush?: 1D20+4 = [5]+4 = 9