MotBM

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14924

Re: MotBM

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:19 am

"A guard. For a medusa."

Insight: This lady for real?: 1D20+9 = [9]+9 = 18

If she doesn't seem to be lying: "Aura dear, let me handle that. Keep her still please?"

Ah'sereen pulls out her lock picks and selects her favorites, getting to work on the shackles.

Lock pickin: 1D20+10 = [17]+10 = 27


If she is lying: "Aura, can I speak to you over here?"
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7474
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: MotBM

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:22 am

Medusa? That didn't sound good. And, assuming she was telling the truth, they were in some sort of dungeon now? Despite his suspicions, he can't tell much of this girl's intentions though; he's still too busy fuming over Dain and Aura's words.

Insight check: 1D20+3 = [5]+3 = 8

As Warryn lurks in the corner, a weasel with pitch-black fur and narrow, beady eyes pops out of his cloak and scurries over to the closed door. Closing his eyes, Warryn channels his senses through the weasel to listen for any movement in the space behind the door.

Erik Per (hearing) check: 2D20.HIGH(1)+3 = [14, 19]+3 = 22

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1371
Contact:

Re: MotBM

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:25 am

Art was all ready to spit out a probing question at the woman after her response to the others, he already had his finger pointing at her ready to interrogate her, but then he was beat to the question by Aura. He quickly closes his mouth and waits. And smiles slightly and nods in appreciation at Aura, she asked the question he had wanted to know and had done it with a lot more tact and care than he would have.

Instead, he just continues on guard. Watching the woman, and if she did end up attacking, he was ready with his axe to retaliate.

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5217
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: MotBM

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:45 am

Dain isn't liking what he's hearing. He glares suspiciously at the woman. He waves at Ah'sereen to wait a moment.

"Guard? How are you supposed to be a guard to a medusa when you're chained up?! How are you supposed to even guard one? Answer quickly now!"

He'll approach to within 10 feet and have poison spray prepped for instant use.

"I think the painting was a portal and it brought us here. The real question is, where is HERE?"

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14437
Location: Florida

Re: MotBM

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:09 am

"She chained me here to watch for newcomers. I'm not supposed to let anyone in, without her permission! But I can let you in! You look so strong and clever! Maybe you could even save the three sisters! Please, I just want to leave this place."

Ah'Sereen watches the woman carefully. Something definitely seems off about her story, but she is struggling to place what. If she is lying, she's very good at it and there's definitely more than a little truth mixed up in it all...

Warryn sulks in the corner as the woman begs the others for help. She seems genuine enough, although what she says is definitely concerning... He sends Erik over to the door and hears the faint sound of pacing footsteps from the far side, and the sounds of a muttering female voice.

Dain gets angry and barges over to the prisoner, holding his hands out in front of him and ready to cast, but the woman cowers and tries to hide behind Aura as best she can.

"Please! I just want to leave..."

Ah'Sereen decides that that part at least is probably true.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14924

Re: MotBM

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:13 am

"Aura, can I speak to you over here?"

"Something is off about her, we should be cautious."

To the woman, "I think my friend has a valid question... how is a naked woman chained up a guard? How do you let people in... how do you prevent people from going in?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Spokesperson in Training
Posts: 1371
Contact:

Re: MotBM

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:18 am

Deleted my post, He will let the other's new questions go instead.
Last edited by NotStickFigures on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5217
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: MotBM

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:18 am

Dain looks decidedly skeptical of the story. "Really now? You'll be so kind as to let us in? "

To the others: "I don't like this. Her story smells like a week old dead fish."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14924

Re: MotBM

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 am

((Is Dain giving his opinion quietly, or just yelling it into the room? :) ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7474
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: MotBM

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:24 am

Returning to his own senses, Warryn considers what he knew. The girl sounded truthful to him, but Ah'Sereen seemed sceptical. And he knew her judgement was sound - if only by reputation. No one ended up in the Tradition of Shadows if they were sloppy, after all.

Using Minor Illusion, he conjures up a faint whisper in Ah'Sereen's ear. Something quiet enough that only she should be able to hear it.

"There are footsteps outside the room. A voice too. Female."

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5217
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: MotBM

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:26 am

((Normal conversation levels. He's not particularly worried about hurting the feelings of the lady or what she thinks of him. He's worried she's something other than a helpless prisoner and just trying to sucker them into dropping their guard. Or maybe, she SHOULD be chained up and she's just trying to trick them into letting her go...))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14437
Location: Florida

Re: MotBM

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 am

((Is Dain going to make an insight check on the woman, or is it in his character to be this suspicious?

Dusk- NVM. Carry on :) ))

To Aura:
"It is my curse! The medusa imprisoned me here because I tried to help the Perfect Three to escape back into the world and reclaim their places! But now I am trapped, watching others come to the moonlit rooms and never able to reach them."

She looks longingly at the painting on the south wall.

"If you free me, I can open the door for you. I have magic that can do it! But you have to unchain me first!"

((Since Dain is a sage, he can make an obscure knowledge check (history) on the three sisters.))
Last edited by thinkslogically on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5217
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: MotBM

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:51 am

((Okay. Here's the question for you Thinks. I can't access Coyote here at work. I CAN access a generic random number generator and post the results. It won't save results and won't link them. I can keep looking around for something like Coyote, use this one, or wait until I'm out from behind the firewall. Or you could roll for me and when I get home, I put together a bunch of pre-rolls for you later. The firewall is pretty specific for game related sites, so I just might be able to find an alternative that's equivalent to Coyote, but not "game related". Your call.))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14437
Location: Florida

Re: MotBM

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:58 am

((Generic is fine when you can't get on coyotecode. I trust you guys not to cheat anyway cos what's the point?))

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5217
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: MotBM

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:24 am

History check:
True Random Number Generator :Min: 1 Max: 20 Result: 9. Dain's History bonus is +6, so 15 on history check.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14437
Location: Florida

Re: MotBM

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:32 am

Dain frowns. The only memory he has of such people is a vague recollection of reading something about an ancient empire that was once ruled by three sisters, and who were revered as near-divine entities. That empire collapsed thousands of years ago though.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14924

Re: MotBM

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:35 am

((Ah'sereen would be weighing the woman's words carefully, do you want a fresh Insight check?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7474
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: MotBM

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:38 am

After whispering to Ah'Sereen, Warryn decides to do something that nobody else thought to before now.

Open the door.

He doesn't just throw it open recklessly though. He's mainly testing to see if it's locked or blocked, and maybe peek through the crack if it does swing open.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14437
Location: Florida

Re: MotBM

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:40 am

((Spider: sure thing, go ahead))

Warryn walks over to the door. There's a normal-looking, smallish, keyhole in it, though there's no handle. He gives it a careful shove, and finds it is indeed locked.

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11998

Re: MotBM

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:00 pm

As Sereen calls her attention, Aura seems a bit hesitant, but with a nod does turn to listen... She seems very much opposed to even risking leaving someone behind here, and doesn't detect any kind of lie in the woman's voice, just desperation... But none the less admits that perhaps caution is advised.

"This is going to be one of those days where I regret not preparing my zone of truth, isn't it..."

"...So what kind of magic are you talking about that you could open this door, but not free yourself?"
she eventually asks. She was beginning to make her own conclusions about what was happening here... Although that'd leave one to worry on what to do... She decides to just silently address sereen for now, given she's next to her.

"I think she's not lying in that she's cursed, but that's where things probably get tricky... Curses are not to be trifled with."

"Two spells I could have that might help, zone of truth and remove curse... And of course, neither I have prepared."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14437
Location: Florida

Re: MotBM

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:06 pm

"The door will only respond to my touch. Forgive me if I misspoke before... The magic is in the door and linked to me by the Medusa. I have no magic of my own."

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7474
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: MotBM

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Seeing the keyhole in the door, Warryn retrieves his Tools from his Bag and sets about trying to pick the lock.

Lockpick check: 1D20+6 = [14]+6 = 20

User avatar
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Posts: 5217
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: MotBM

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:31 pm

Dain beetles his eyebrows at the woman. What she said IS ringing some bells. He stares at her trying to read her.

Insight: 1d20-1 = [6] = 5

He shakes his head. It's no use. He's never been good at reading the tall folk. He looks at Ah'sereen and Aura and waves his hand towards them. "I don't know. Your call."

((A little bare bones, but works nicely Mort! :thumbsup: ))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14437
Location: Florida

Re: MotBM

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:37 pm

As Warryn reaches for the lock, the woman turns in alarm and screams at him:

"No, STOP!! The door is trapped! Only I can open it safely!"

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7474
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: MotBM

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:48 pm

Warryn pauses, turning back to her with eyebrow raised. So she knew what he was trying to do? Interesting....

"Trapped? With what? Is it magical, or mechanical?"

Post Reply