The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:40 am

"Expanded beyond the walls of the bank?! Surely that cannot be secure! The security of a bank like this comes from it's thick walls, surely?"

Jax is fishing, and hoping the manager is the type who likes to correct people.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:01 pm

"Veska-" Uragh hisses, trying to stay as silent as possible while still addressing the totally a gnome. "Quit whatever you're doing and get down here... There's people down that tunnel."

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:11 pm

Jax and Kytiel

"Expanded beyond the walls of the bank?! Surely that cannot be secure! The security of a bank like this comes from it's thick walls, surely?"

The gnome shakes his head, smiling wryly.

"No no no, beyond the walls of the vault, my good sir. And of course, all expansions have to be approved by both myself and the city first, to avoid compromising security."

"That said, you wouldn't need to worry. Such vaults are kept separate from the others, so any breaches due to customer action are fully contained. And did I mention our insurance policy? We guarantee that, should our measures fail, we will reimburse you the full cost of any losses you incur."

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Veska releases a strained breath she'd been holding, sighing in in relief.

Then Uragh whispers something up at her about people down the tunnel. She leaves the Healing Spirit to do its work, skulking over to the ledge.

"That tunnel there? I got my eye on it," Veska says, drawing her shortbow once again. With her superior darkvision, she should be able to see whatever's coming long before they can see her or Uragh. "I'm focusin' on another spell right now, though. Found that arm's owner, got'im breathin' at least. Longer the spell goes, the better he'll be."
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:18 pm

"Well, I can certainly see why maintenance fees would be quite high!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:02 pm

"Darius" chuckles.

"Ah, yes. Beurocrats do seem to get their hands into everything these days! Still, that is a clever business strategy, to sell insurance policies for an impenetrable vault! This might not be the worst place for your inheritance after all, Khyle.

I think we should take a look at the vaults, if you have time to show us your range? Perhaps you can tell me more about the craftsmanship as we walk? "

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:12 pm

"...Fine. Be quick- I'm not sure if it's coming towards us or not, but if it's not I wanna find out who the hell is down here..."

(So... I don't suppose you'd be gracious enough to retroactively allow me to add some bolts to my inventory because that was an obvious oversight? Someone that buys three scimitars wouldn't forget that on purpose! :lol:)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:40 pm

Khyle nods in consideration. "It might depend on how much dear Uncle left to me, but yes, if we could take a look?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:48 am

Veska and Uragh

Deciding to stand their ground for the sake of the injured Kobold, Veska hunkers down with her bow. While Uragh suddenly remembers that he has a crossbow on his back, getting that ready too.

((Roll Perception, both of you. And yes, you can buy your bolts :P ))

Jax and Kytiel

"Ah, yes. Beurocrats do seem to get their hands into everything these days! Still, that is a clever business strategy, to sell insurance policies for an impenetrable vault! This might not be the worst place for your inheritance after all, Khyle."

"Oh the insurance is included for all our customers, at no extra cost. We wouldn't inspire much trust if we didn't fully believe in our own security, after all!"

"I think we should take a look at the vaults, if you have time to show us your range? Perhaps you can tell me more about the craftsmanship as we walk? "

"It might depend on how much dear Uncle left to me, but yes, if we could take a look?"

"Certainly! I'm afraid the interiors of the vaults are off-limits to everyone except our customers and staff. But I can show you our external security measures, if that suits you?"

Barely waiting for confirmation, the gnome jumps down from his chair and strides out the door. Leading them back downstairs, they pass the guards at the top of the lower staircase and soon arrive at a long basement corridor. More guards are stationed down here, at least four that you can see. Large stone doors line the hallway, each one indistinguishable from the next.

Stopping in front of the nearest one, the gnome waves his hands at it elaborately.

"This is one of our standard vaults. All of them are built from the highest quality stone, magically reinforced to provide an air-tight seal. Destroying the door or walls is all but impossible, unless you happen to have a dragon on hand."

"No, the only way in is through our unbreakable, custom-built arcanomechanical locks. Which require not just one, but two keys. One copy is kept with us, sealed away in a secret location, while the second goes to the customer. As such, even if you happen to misplace your key - or, gods forbid, have it stolen - you can rest assured that your belongings will remain secure."

"Do you have any questions?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:52 am

"This is quite impressive! But tell me, who on your staff is responsible for the 2nd key? They must be quite trustworthy for to have that responsibility!"

EDIT: can Jax tell anything about the spell being used from e.g. an arcana check? Or would it need Detect Magic (which he doesn't have).

Also the guards - did they look alert, bored, pissed off... That sort of thing.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:12 pm

Veska stares into the tunnel Uragh pointed to, her trained eyes cutting through the darkness. (Again, 90 feet of darkvision)

Perception while guarding kobold (Natural Explorer): 1D20+6 = [12]+6 = 18
Last edited by SuperVaderMan on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:17 pm

Uragh is a bit distracted while he tries to figure out just how many bolts he had bought...

Perception: 1D20+2 = [4]+2 = 6

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:24 pm

Vatro opts out of scouting the bank again, that would be very suspicous to have the same drunk casing the joint multiple times and alert them to danger. He spends his time alone at the manor setting up his brewing and alchemist lab and tends to some of the brewing he has going on. Maybe he could help supplying the upcoming party with his booze and gain entrance that way as peddler of exotic vines that explains the true value of his product and how to best enjoy it to their guests. He should taste some of it first though..
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:36 am

Veska
► Show Spoiler
Uragh

Uragh, meanwhile, knows nothing.

All he's aware of is the indistinct, hissing blob moving through the darkness towards him, and the fact he's holding a loaded crossbow...

Jax and Kytiel

"This is quite impressive! But tell me, who on your staff is responsible for the 2nd key? They must be quite trustworthy for to have that responsibility!"

"Precisely! Which is why the only person who knows their whereabouts is the person I trust most in the world - myself."

Jax tries taking a surreptitious look at the lock, but can't really figure anything out without alerting the gnome. You're pretty sure you've heard of magical lock spells before, but you can't recall much beyond that they have a permanent duration, so waiting for them to wear off isn't a good plan.

The guards look fairly alert to you, but that might just be because they heard you all coming down the stairs. Barric wasn't exactly quiet about it.

Vatro

While everyone else is out of the house, Vatro throws himself a little party. To...celebrate a successful robbery? Sure, let's go with that...

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:12 am

((Are there any proper hiding spots for Uragh to move into..?))

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:36 am

Wait a minute... Veska perks up at those hissing sounds.

"Ava'yorn vhira mobi!" Veska starts hissing back, standing up casually on her perch. "Si mi wer Jennu Harroc Veska, Nurocuirgarh di wer Echiusk Majak-Baclax svih! Wux re tenpiswo ihk wer ekishr soti, zlonzic? Heh, si jikahshi wux tepoha jiil nbelaerns mrith ve, sjek nomeno ui dout thurirl si mi irisvir."

Smirking invisibly down at Uragh, she switches back to Common. "Don't worry big guy, it's just kobolds. Figures they'd show, soon's the party's over."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:51 am

Uragh still goes hide in one of the side passages... Just in case.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:48 am

Veska and Uragh

As Veska calls out, the hissing and clacking stops abruptly. After a short pause, there's some more frantic hushed hissing, followed by a voice calling out.

"...Kerash waphic? Svabol di wer Crawler batobot claxon jacion?"

Meanwhile Uragh hides himself in a corner. Just in case.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:45 am

Veska rolls her eyes. "Zklaen si inloil coi ekik ihk wux? Wux tepoha jiil nbelaerns mrith ve. Ir, Kerash," Veska counts out on an invisible finger, looking back over her shoulder at the recovering kobold. Then she glances over at the Tentapede curled up in the corner. "Jiil, tira wux yenta Crawler? Wer youwe wharacic loex persvek nomeno cuaili! Confn ocuir ihk doutan."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:01 am

Uragh is developing a headache.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:14 am

((poor Uragh! He's managed to land all the worst jobs so far :lol: ))

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:03 pm

Uragh and Veska

"Zklaen si inloil coi ekik ihk wux? Wux tepoha jiil nbelaerns mrith ve. Ir, Kerash, jiil, tira wux yenta Crawler? Wer youwe wharacic loex persvek nomeno cuaili! Confn ocuir ihk doutan."

There's another pause, then more hushed hissing in response to this new information. After what feels like a lengthy discussion, and possibly some complaining, there's finally movement in the form of a single Kobold stepping into the room.

He's quite bulky for a Kobold, wielding a heavy-looking metal pipe as a club, and dressed in ragged leathers no-doubt scrounged from "visits" to the surface. On seeing the Tentapede he freezes, but after a few moments seems to realise that it is actually dead, and cautiously approaches the body.

"...svaklar re wux?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:42 pm

"And you make use of one of these vaults to store the keys I assume?"

"May we see the other vaults while we are here? The standard one is very impressive, but I would like to see the other options in person before we decide. Tell me - is this gnomish craftsmanship? Or dwarven? I have no affinity for the arcane I'm afraid, so I think we shall have to trust that whatever magics bind the door are secure."

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:26 pm

Veska taps on the side of her stone passage with her bow. "Svern tenpiswo. Ti batobot coi geou selgtarn. Veska wer Nurocuirgarh, jinthil? Jaka itrewic svern tenpiswo vur dryic dout thurirl. Si mi filki zahae authot mrith jacion."

"Vur lae wux re tirir batobot, kikrem svanoa nomeno shinalta." Veska questions, eyes narrowing down at the bulky kobold. "Tir wux ti tepoha tikil Jennu Harroc di dout kurjh? Thric arytissi? Svabol svih re wux de?"

Veska tries to judge for herself what pack this guy is from, and why the hell they let this 'Crawler' run amok. Don't they have someone like Veska to deal with it?

History check on bulky kobold and info on his pack (ADV if it applies):
2D20.HIGH(1)-1 = [9, 12]-1 = 11

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Kytiel is playing a bit of the wide eyed young man at the moment.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler