The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Theis2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 am

Vatro moves behind the "maw" drunkenly kicking and hitting it on the way there, avoiding the fire.

Vatro attacks: 1D20+7 = [4]+7 = 11
1D20+7 = [14]+7 = 21
1D20+7 = [13]+7 = 20

Unarmed damage: 1D6+4 = [1]+4 = 5
1D6+4 = [1]+4 = 5
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:17 pm

Seeing the Crawler back away to who-knows-where, Veska gives some orders to the three kobolds still behind her. "Itrewic rionib ve vur wer lyriki. Si geou zexenuma loaw ekess riyit wer Crawler sari lowdir ve - si mi shivia de weyog."

Staying where she is, Veska drops her shortsword and picks up her bow again, firing another two arrows into the angry inferno that is the Maw. Despite being visible, she still has the advantage with the others distracting the monster.

2 shortbow attacks on burning Maw (ADV w/ Pack Tactics):
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [1, 17]+7 = 24
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [8, 10]+7 = 17

2 shortbow attacks on burning Maw damage:
2D6+4 = [5, 4]+4 = 13
2D6+4 = [2, 6]+4 = 12

((Not that I think it matters, but I believe the Maw will have 1/2 cover against Veska with everyone in the way))

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:24 pm

Uragh bellows- Beginning to rage as he pulls out his scimitar, slashing against the beast..! Or trying to, at least.

scimitar attack: 1D20+7 = [7]+7 = 14
1D6+6 = [1]+6 = 7

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Jax

"If this is intended to be some sort of joke, I don't find it very funny. I was told to come here for assistance, but frankly, now I don't know what to make of any of this! Do either of you even work for the bank or is this just a ridiculous con you pull on honest customers?"

"I'm very sorry if you're feeling offended, sir. That was not our intention at all. If you aren't feeling comfortable, perhaps it would be best for you to go home and get some rest. We can continue this discussion in the morning, at the Bank - surely your problem can be handled then, during proper business hours?"

As Erin talks, Eris nods vigorously in agreement. It looks very much like she doesn't really want to deal with this right now, and is letting her brother do all the hard work.

Veska, Uragh, and Vatro

Vatro sprints around the pit and swings at the Maw's behind, connecting a couple of times as he weaves around the flailing tentacles. Veska follows up with some arrows in the feet, while Barusk and Uragh swing at the beast in a furious rage. The Kobolds even manage to connect with their Slings, doing some nice damage. And after all that, the Maw is looking pretty damn beat-up.

Sadly, that's when everything stops being so great.

The first thing that goes wrong is the appearance of not one, but two Crawlers! The first, which Vatro shot earlier, appears from a tunnel directly above and goes straight for Veska, tentacles reaching out to grasp her arm for 5(2) damage. While the second seemed to have been hiding inside the pit itself, lunging over the edge towards the unsuspecting Vatro. Luckily his naturally unpredictable movements save him, as the tentacles and teeth struggle to get a hold on the evasive elf.

The Maw is far more successful, teeth closing around Uragh's arm with a nasty crunch for 11(5) damage. Then a tentacle slams into his side, doing a further 8(4) damage as the spikes dig in and wrap him up! Barusk is luckier, again blocking the tentacle that goes for him.

((Veska makes two CON saves: one for Concentration on Hunter's Mark, and one against the Poison with Advantage.))
((Uragh make a CON save with Advantage against poison/disease. You're also Grappled and Restrained by the tentacle - make an Athletics or Acrobatics check to escape, as an Action.))

Vatro (24)
Veska (20), 42/44Hp
Kobold 1 (14)
Barusk (13), Slightly injured
Kobold 2 (13)
Kobold 3 (11), Injured
Uragh (10), 30/47Hp, grappled, restrained
Crawler (5), Slightly injured, above Veska
Crawler (4), In the pit
The Maw (1), Badly injured, on fire

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:32 pm

"Who is your superior at the bank? I shall be wanting to speak to them in the morning."

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Concentration on Hunters Mark and CON save against Crawler poison:
2D20.HIGH(1)+2 = [2, 9]+2 = 11
2D20.HIGH(1)+2 = [8, 7]+2 = 10

Veska maintains her Concentration on her Hunter's Mark, but she still ends up getting Paralyzed by the Crawler's venom....

CON save against Crawler poison at end of turn:
2D20.HIGH(1)+2 = [13, 13]+2 = 15

It was only temporary, though (no thanks to that Protect from Poison spell)! While she can't act this turn, she won't be easy pickings for the Crawler.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:26 am

CON save: 2D20.HIGH(1)+3 = [19, 9]+3 = 22

Uragh simply dismisses the poison in his system... And seems too angry to try and do such a thing as escape a grapple- He'll just make it regret grabbing on to him..!

Attack rolls w/disadvantage and sneak attack: 2D20.LOW(1)+7 = [4, 5]+7 = 11
2D20.LOW(1)+7 = [11, 10]+7 = 17
1D6+6 = [2]+6 = 8
1D6 = [2] = 2
2D6 = [6, 3] = 9

(Can't recall, but you don't add the rage damage to the bonus attack roll, right?)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:16 am

((If you're raging, it gets added to every attack.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:38 am

Vatro keeps hitting the otyough hoping to take it down now.

Vatro attack: 1D20+7 = [12]+7 = 19
1D20+7 = [14]+7 = 21
1D20+7 = [8]+7 = 15

1D6+4 = [4]+4 = 8
1D6+4 = [3]+4 = 7
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:26 pm

Jax

"Who is your superior at the bank? I shall be wanting to speak to them in the morning."

"Ah...Barric Goldweaver, sir. And what was your name? So I know to tell him who to expect."

Veska, Uragh, and Vatro

The Kobolds keep on doing their best, flinging stones at the monsters. Its....kinda effective?

As Veska struggles with the Crawler and its poison, Uragh and Barusk continue to lay into the Maw. Combined with Vatro's assault from behind, the beast seems to be barely clinging on to life. But with its dying breath it rounds on Vatro with its free tentacle, spikes digging into him for 15 damage! Then it slams the still-grappled Uragh down onto him, before finally bringing Uragh to its mouth and crunching down, teeth digging in to something critical for 20(10) damage!

Fortunately, that seems to be all it can do. As its jaws close, you hear something deep inside it burst from the strain. The huge creature goes limp, tentacles slumping to the ground, releasing Uragh and Vatro from their grasp.

Meanwhile, the Crawlers are still here. They're not really much of a threat compared to the Maw, though. The one in the pit continuing to miss the evasive Vatro, while the one above Veska doesn't connect with its bite, but still manages to latch on with another venomous tentacle for 4(2) damage.

((Vatro make a STR Saving Throw.))
((Uragh make CON and STR Saving Throws, CON with Advantage.))
((Veska make another set of CON Saving Throws with Advantage, for concentration/poison.))

Vatro (24), 23/38Hp
Veska (20), 40/44Hp
Kobold 1 (14)
Kobold 2 (13)
Kobold 3 (11), Injured
Uragh (10), 20/47Hp, grappled, restrained
Crawler (5), Injured, above Veska
Crawler (4), Slightly injured, in the pit
The Maw (1), Dead
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:39 pm

Concentration on Hunters Mark and CON save against Crawler poison again:
2D20.HIGH(1)+2 = [20, 15]+2 = 22
2D20.HIGH(1)+2 = [8, 17]+2 = 19

This time the Protect from Poison spell pays off! Dropping her bow and picking up her shortsword, she shifts her Hunter's Mark to the Crawler attacking her and stabs at it!

2 shortsword attacks against Crawler:
1D20+7 = [5]+7 = 12
2D6+4 = [1, 1]+4 = 6
1D20+7 = [10]+7 = 17
2D6+4 = [5, 2]+4 = 11

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:04 pm

Uragh seems... To be getting just a bit worn out, which shows in his ability to keep up.

CON save: 1D20+3 = [8]+3 = 11

CON save: 1D20+3 = [2]+3 = 5

STR save: 1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13

(Made a mistake and rolled CON without advantage, hence two rolls.)

Barring that he's incapitated, though, he's not done yet..! He'll look to attack any of the two crawlers... (Would he be able to reach, or need to use a ranged attack?)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:15 pm

Dusk9 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:26 pm Jax

"Ah...Barric Goldweaver, sir. And what was your name? So I know to tell him who to expect."
(( :oops: Totally missed your reply! Sorry!!))

"Mmmhmm? Actually, I would prefer to see some kind of evidence that you do, in fact, work at the bank!"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:17 pm

((Any windows shadowed enough to get a peek in without being lit up by the outside lighting?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Vatro is totally out of it as he moves to attack the crawler

Str save: 1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17
Vatro attack: 1D20+7 = [1]+7 = 8
1D20+7 = [3]+7 = 10
1D20+7 = [6]+7 = 13

Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 am

Jax

"Mmmhmm? Actually, I would prefer to see some kind of evidence that you do, in fact, work at the bank!"

"Such as....what, sir? You already have evidence that this address is that of an employee. Assuming that paper did indeed come from the bank...?"

((Roll Persuasion and Deception))

Kytiel

Kytiel tries to peak through one of the windows, but the curtains are too thick to get a good look. Not without standing/floating directly in the lamplight, at least.

Veska, Uragh, and Vatro

The Maw's dying slam attack is surprisingly weak, hitting Vatro and Uragh for just 5(2) damage. Though Uragh does get caught in the chest and stunned by the blow. Vatro is also distracted enough to miss most of his attacks on the Crawler, only getting in a single punch. Veska doesn't do much better, her first sword swing going wide while the second barely hits. The Kobolds continue to fling their stones, doing minor damage to both Crawlers. Then Barusk leaps clear over the pit, slamming his club down on the second Crawler's head with a sickening crunch!

This causes the monster to go for him instead of the elusive Vatro, but Barusk is ready for it - deflecting the tentacles and taking only a grazing blow from its teeth. Veska is less fortunate, tentacles grabbing her again for 4(2) damage while a couple of teeth pierce her armour for 12 damage.

Uragh drools on floor.

((Veska make three CON checks: one for poison, and two for concentration.))

Vatro (24), 21/38Hp
Veska (20), 26/44Hp
Kobold 1 (14)
Kobold 2 (13)
Kobold 3 (11), Injured
Uragh (10), 18/47Hp
Crawler (5), Injured, above Veska
Crawler (4), Injured, in the pit
The Maw (1), Dead

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:46 am

Concentration on Hunters Mark and CON save against Crawler poison 3:
2D20.HIGH(1)+2 = [7, 8]+2 = 10
2D20.HIGH(1)+2 = [15, 11]+2 = 17

Concentration on Hunters Mark - forgot the second attack:
2D20.HIGH(1)+2 = [17, 20]+2 = 22

Thanks to her experience fighting and casting in close-quarters, Veska barely manages to maintain concentration on her Hunter's Mark! She even shrugs off the poison, too.

She calls over her shoulder, "one o' you get over here, get me a flank on this thing!"

((Waiting to see what Vatro does, or delaying until Uragh goes if necessary. I'm looking to benefit from Pack Tactics before making my attack rolls.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:54 am

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Uragh is never coming back to these sewers, not even if there's a red carpet rolled out straight to the bank, by this point...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:35 pm

Kytiel will go up and over to the graveyard to check out names and inspect the mausoleum.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:36 am

Roll 3 attacks for me please :)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:15 am

Uragh still hates the sewers... But pulls out his crossbow again to fire- Assuming he can't reach the crawlers in melee, that is.

Uragh notices Veska needs help- And strides over to act..!

_: 1D20+7 = [2]+7 = 9
1D20+7 = [7]+7 = 14
1D6+4 = [2]+4 = 6
1D6 = [4] = 4
2D6 = [5, 2] = 7

EDIT: I rolled this before noticing Vader needs help flanking one of the crawlers, so I guess it is in range..? You can reuse the first AC roll if you must I suppose :shifty:
_: 1D20+4 = [3]+4 = 7
1D10+4 = [7]+4 = 11

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:10 am

With the big half-orc striding over to help divide the Crawler's attention, Veska pulls out her other shortsword and dives in with a flurry of stabs!

3 shortsword attacks on Crawler in Maw lair:
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [19, 5]+7 = 26
2D6+4 = [6, 5]+4 = 15
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [12, 15]+7 = 22
2D6+4 = [6, 6]+4 = 16
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [1, 11]+7 = 18
2D6+4 = [5, 2]+4 = 11

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:25 pm

Veska, Uragh, and Vatro

No longer distracted by the flailing tentacles, Vatro unleashes a flurry of blows into the Crawler's carapace. Barusk follows up with another smack from his club, and the Crawler goes limp - body sliding backwards into the pit and dropping out of sight. A distant splash is the only evidence that it didn't just fall away into nothingness.

Meanwhile Veska raises her blades again, but holds off until Uragh - recovered from his little holiday on the floor - gets close enough to get the last Crawler's attention. Together, the two of them (okay, mostly Veska) tear into the beast, and with one last screech it thuds to the ground, lifeless.

The Kobolds ready their slings and wait for the next attacker to appear.....but none does.

All you hear is the faint crackling of embers, coming from the meat pile and the Maw's smouldering corpse.
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:35 pm

Veska gives the Crawler a nudge with her foot to make sure it's dead, barely budging the huge centipede thing, before giving a relieved sigh. Even better, the fire is making the rotten stench slightly more tolerable.

"Yth tira coi droti! Wer Maw ui loex, vur jlatak Crawlers mrith coi. Si tira throdenilti di wer tawura, di ekmiv, shar wux sumf letocloa ekik," Veska admits with a cheeky smirk. "Wux siofme mobi re throdenilt Crawlers confnir?" She asks Barusk, wiping her blades clean with a bit of cloth before sheathing them. "Wux vucot astahi desta loupon si tir."

She turns to Uragh and Vatro. "You lot awright? I got one more healin' spell in me, but then I'm dry. I'd rather hold onto it if ya think ya can tough it out."

"Anyway, that's done. We was gonna look around, right? I see one way up," she says, eyes resting on the chute under the meat pile, "but there could be others. I'm thinkin' o' goin' up that meat slide right now, see who the hell's behind this mess...."

Regardless, Veska will take a look around the room, looking for any other ways up, assuming this room is below the bank.

Perception or Investigation in Maw lair, whichever applies:
1D20+6 = [8]+6 = 14
1D20-1 = [12]-1 = 11

During the search, Veska makes an aside to Barusk. "Wux re yorir. Ysik loupon lowdir wer Maw hefoc vin malai lae coi jahus houpeir, wux jilga spical vur itheika halkvri yth valignata coi ekik. Heh, wux tangis klae hesi rhyaex fethosi nomeno tairais. Bensvelk tawura."