The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:02 am

"I'll be fine... Save it for when one of us might get knocked down." is all Uragh grunts, not too happy about the mess. At least it looks to be over...

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Jax

While Erin just looks confused (and a little suspicious of Jax), Eris chimes in with a suggestion.

"Ah...what if you returned in the morning, and I accompanied you to the Bank? Would that be sufficient?"

Kytiel

Leaving the cabin, Kytiel flies over to the graveyard. This area is a lot darker, and seemingly deserted. There are a few lampposts scattered along the paths, but they stand unlit, leaving the graves shrouded in shadow.

The outer structure of the mausoleum stands almost 20ft high, and is constructed out of what seems to be a grey marble. Fancy stone pillars flanking an elegant - probably locked - iron gate. Peering through the metal bars, you see only a large staircase descending underground. Seems the important tombs must be down there.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Kytiel will do a quick lap of the stones, looking for names. The crest on the guards and gates didn't ring a bell, but perhaps the stones are inscribed...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:47 pm

"I think not. But I see that this conversation is going nowhere. I shall come me to the bank tomorrow and speak to the manager."

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:40 am

Jax

"I think not. But I see that this conversation is going nowhere. I shall come me to the bank tomorrow and speak to the manager."

"...we will let him know to expect you. Goodnight?"

The siblings seem relieved that you're (finally) leaving them alone. Judging by the smell of food coming from the open door, you feel like you interrupted their supper. Assuming you have nothing further to say, they duck back into their respective doors - following which you hear muffled talking coming from behind the one in front of you.

Kytiel

Scanning the graves, Kytiel searches for any names he recognises. And one stands out, engraved into over half the tombstones.

Carmichael.

Veska, Uragh, and Vatro

After checking the beasts are definitely dead, the group relaxes. Not completely, of course - there's still the risk of more Crawlers turning up - but at least they aren't fighting for their lives any more.

"Wux siofme mobi re throdenilt Crawlers confnir? Wux vucot astahi desta loupon si tir."

"...thric. Sjek tikil tepohada nymuera wer vargach, astahii ornla jalyur qe tenpiswo. Shar yth jalla qe qeelak. Huena astahii vucot wer Maw ui loex, wer keefum geou korep throden di wer sotiri."

Turning her attention to the sloped chute above the meat pile, Veska sees that it stretches back about 60ft before turning into a straight vertical shaft. The source of the meat must be somewhere up there. Looking over the other pipes, she sees a couple that seem about big enough for her and the boys to climb into. But they'll need to check them all to find out where exactly they go.

Meanwhile, the Kobolds start scavenging the meat pile for useful scraps.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:54 am

Kytiel grins and inspects the (probably) locked gate.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Kytiel

Yup, that's locked.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:02 pm

"Hak wux jalla jaseve. Yth itrewica Rezak's jitric vur wer Maw ui loex. Vi xsio bensvelk maulk, harkt? Si geou zexenuma tenpiswo ekess ocuir svaklar nomeno rhyaex ui confnir de." She glances down at Barusk's feet, still wearing the magic foot wraps. "Filki clax nomenes stoda ghoros wux ocuir dout maekrix - wux re ti shalada ekess guyya astahi sjerit. Vur tiichi Kerash. Creol di udoka janik ti qe tenpiswo sjek ti ihk jacion."

"Let's hurry it up, guys," Veska says, switching to Common for Uragh and Vatro. "Barusk says there'll be more o' them Crawlers comin' once they figure out the Maw's dead. Let's be outta here 'fore that happens."

Veska gives the meat chute another look, trying to determine if it would be feasible to climb up.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:26 pm

Uragh takes the hint, and quickly loots the maw for all it's treasure. :shifty:

Investigation: 1D20+6 = [2]+6 = 8

He finds nothing.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:03 pm

As long as the inspection of the gate didn't reveal any traps or alarms, Kytiel picks his way in...

Thieves Tools: 1D20+4 = [20]+4 = 24
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:06 pm

Jax leaves and heads onwards down the street a bit further until he's out of sight of the elves' homes. He's not entirely sure what to make of the information, but twins is potentially problematic. He's pretty tired right now though, and decides to head back towards the safe house for a sleep and decent rest.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:49 am

Jax

Leaving the twins to their dinner, Jax starts his walk back towards the safehouse. That was...weird. Or maybe the lack of sleep is just starting to catch up with him.

He reaches the safehouse just as the sun is setting. No one else is home.

Kytiel

Kytiel pops the lock on the gate easily, and it swings open surprisingly quietly. Seems the hinges are well-oiled.

Veska, Uragh, and Vatro

"Hak wux jalla jaseve. Yth itrewica Rezak's jitric vur wer Maw ui loex. Vi xsio bensvelk maulk, harkt? Si geou zexenuma tenpiswo ekess ocuir svaklar nomeno rhyaex ui confnir de. Filki clax nomenes stoda ghoros wux ocuir dout maekrix - wux re ti shalada ekess guyya astahi sjerit. Vur tiichi Kerash. Creol di udoka janik ti qe tenpiswo sjek ti ihk jacion."

"Si geou. vur si geou visp astahi di dout letoclo."

"...vinxa."

Barusk grunts at the Kobolds, motioning for them to hurry up. As they pack up the scraps of bone and fresher meat they've found, he glances at the Maw and - grabbing a knife - hacks off a couple of the tentacle spikes. A trophy, probably.

Then, giving one last nod to Veska, he scurries back down the tunnel with the rest of his kin.

Turning back to the meat chute, Veska thinks it would probably be pretty easy to climb up the slope. For her, at least. The vertical section might be harder though - she'd need to look closer to make sure, but the walls seem quite smooth from here. Meanwhile, Uragh examines the Maw for loot. Sadly, it isn't conveniently carrying a bunch of treasure - or anything useful, really. Unless he wants to copy Barusk and harvest the body itself for spikes or meat?

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:19 am

Veska waves off Barusk, but can't help smirking to herself once he's gone, and at a job well done. Her planning really did make a difference, after all.

She approaches the meat chute after. After a couple moments of consideration, she says, "I'm gonna go fer it," and hauls herself up, clambering up the easy diagonal part until she hits the vertical shaft. Now comes the tricky part.

Athletics (Climbing) to ascend the meat chute: 1D20+7 = [20]+7 = 27

Or it would be, if Veska weren't amazing. It doesn't hurt that she has magical climbing gloves, either.

Assuming she gets to the top, she'll look for a place to secure her rope for Uragh and Vatro.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:33 am

Jax goes to his room, takes off the disguise and lies down for a nap (short rest, which will become a long rest if he's not disturbed at all).

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:07 pm

Veska

Leaving Uragh and Vatro in the meat pit, Veska nimbly scrambles up the slope. Reaching the vertical wall, she looks up the tunnel...and realises that this thing is deep. Probably 50-60ft, at least. And the walls are noticeably different to the rest of the sewers, too. While the human-built sections were reinforced by bricks, and the Kobold caverns had the rough feel of chiselled stone, these walls were almost perfectly smooth.

Too perfect...

Even her magical gloves have trouble finding handholds to grasp. No, if she wants to get up there, she'll need to get some proper climbing equipment. Or find someone who can fly.

Jax

Jax finds his room, lies down, and instantly falls into a deep, peaceful slumber...

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:13 pm

(Hey, Vader rolled a twenty... He can fly if he wants to! :lol:)

Uragh considers the prospect of trying to harvest one of the tentacles... Presuming they keep the paralysis venom, that could make for a nasty surprise- He would just need to make sure it doesn't touch his skin...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:19 pm

Kytiel pushes the gate closed, short of latched, and heads downward... flying.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:20 pm

With a hissy sigh, Veska comes back out the chute.

"Yeah, somethin' weird 'bout this. Can't get a grip worth nothin' on the whole shaft. One o' you got some rope? I can get us up, but mine's short, gotta tie a bit more to it."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:21 pm

Uragh tosses down the fifty feet of rope he's always casually carrying around... With a brief glance of "I'll want that back", of course.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Veska gives a grunt in thanks, tying hers and Uragh's rope together, then lopping part of her rope off to get a 60 foot length.

"Gotta use my last spell fer this, but i'll get us up. Just gotta stay outta trouble fer a little while."

She clambers back up the chute, up to the vertical section. Holding the rope, she mutters an incantation for a Rope Trick, causing the rope to slowly rise from her hand and ascend until it's fully stretched from the bottom of the shaft to the top.

"Awright, rope's up! I'll check things out," she informs the others, going ahead and climbing up to the top of the shaft, ignoring the extradimensional space for now and just using the rope.

Rope Trick
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:13 am

Kytiel

Kytiel makes the most out of his flight, avoiding the touching the stairs as he floats down them. At the bottom it opens out into a long underground chamber, the walls lined with intricate carvings. As soon as Kytiel crosses the threshold, torches on the walls burst into an orange flame, illuminating the chamber in bright light.

There are three paths to take - one on either side, and another directly ahead. But before he can decide where to go, he feels his Fly spell wearing off...

Veska

Retrieving some more rope from Uragh, Veska does a cool magic trick which sends it floating up the shaft. Once it's securely attached to the extradimensional space, Veska follows it up, easily clambering up the 50ft distance thanks to her gloves.

At the top, she finds the shaft opens up into another chamber. This one is pretty small compared to the Maw's lair, and has the same unnaturally smooth quality to the walls. The only entrance is a locked iron gate, beyond which is another tunnel which curves into the distance.

Uragh

While Veska goes off to do her own thing, Uragh examines the dead Crawler. Now that he's not locked in a life-or-death fight with one, he sees that the tentacles are covered in some kind of slimy mucus. He could probably harvest some from it, but he'd have to be very careful not to let it touch him.

((Roll a Nature check if you want to try harvesting it. Incidentally, your Protection from Poison spells have all worn off by now.))

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:38 am

Veska's not about to back out now. Someone's been dumping meat down this hole, and she intends on finding out why, if not how to stop it.

She fishes out her lockpicks and gets to work.

((Do I even have to roll here? I don't know how time-sensitive this is. Can I use that crit that I couldn't use for the climbing? :shifty:))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:12 am

Kytiel uses the last bit of fly to plant his feet on the ceiling where his slippers take over. Concentrating briefly, he summons a glaive wrought of shadow.

((How high are the passageways?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:29 am

Uragh considers scraping off some of the mucus using one of his daggers, though...

"...anyone got a flask or something?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:48 am

Kytiel will go to each passage in turn, and look to see if there are indications of which is the most well traveled.

Investigation: 1D20+3 = [7]+3 = 10

They all look much the same, so he heads down the central one, slowly and moderately quietly.

Stealth: 1D20+4 = [11]+4 = 15
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler