The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:34 pm

Uragh considered the situation... He was aware of the lower docks, for sure- It was a place he generally tried to avoid just as well, though... You never know what day might be the one he meets with a faintly familiar face, which is something he'd prefer to avoid.

Still, thinking about his choices of trying to procure some explosives... Well, when contrasting it between trying to sneak and/or steal from the guard, or a heavily guarded merchant ship... Well, it didn't seem like that bad of a decision anymore.

He heads towards the lower docks, keeping out a watchful eye... If he's lucky, he could just buy one for cheap, or find a ship unguarded enough he'd risk stealing some... At worst, well... He'd deal with that if it'd come.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:08 pm

"I should mention that I can get us past such... obstacles... though it won't be subtle."
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:22 pm

"Oh yeah? Erg, and howzat?" Veska asks, trying to get up the pipe.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:33 pm

"Magic, of course. Well, if it's just a lock, I can use mundane means to pick it, though I'd suspect you're not unfamilar with that yourself? In need, I can use magic to teleport to the other side, and be able to bring you with me... the possible downside is I've not figured out a way to keep the air from rushing in to fill the hole we vacate... and that can be quite noisy.
As in, likely to alert anyone within a few hundred feet of us, noisy. "
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:07 am

Veska and Kytiel

The tunnel doesn't have many good handholds, but Veska still manages to scramble up it, using the sides to brace herself. At the top, she sees the grate is built into the stonework - and while she can fit her arms through the gaps, the rest of her won't be able to follow.

Uragh

Deciding to take the risk, Uragh heads back to Ironwrought Bridge and crosses into the lower harbour.

The docks down here are a lot shabbier than the rich merchant harbour on the other side of the river. Shipbuilding yards take up most of the wharf, with the rest being an assortment of run-down taverns, brothels, and "shops".

((Investigation with Advantage if you want to look for a ship you recognise as piratey.))

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:38 am

"Huh. Could ya get a whole group through like that? If we got a scroll wit' a Silence spell... well, it's worth thinkin' about," Veska gives an experimental tug on the grating, not really expecting it to budge. "Damn thing's solid, though. We'd gotta do somethin' if we came up this way."

"Let's check out that other pipe," Veska decides, already descending and leading the way to it.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:53 am

Jax heads inside to meet the historian, greeting him loudly if/when he spots him.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:40 am

"It takes a lot to do it even once, I'd be able to manage twice before I'd need to let myself recover."

((ie, limited spell slots)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:06 pm

Uragh starts his investigation, looking about for any suspect ships...

_: 2D20.HIGH(1)+6 = [16, 14]+6 = 22

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:17 am

"Just want to take a look here, and I'll be right over."

Kytiel walks up to the grate, checking to see if it could be wedged loose or otherwise removed.

Investigation: 1D20+3 = [19]+3 = 22

The bars being set into stone, it wouldn't be the access point through which the bank is dumping monsters... at least not anything bigger that could be poked through the bars, but that might mean it's less well attended.

Either way, he'll move to follow Veska to the other tunnel afterwards.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:00 am

Veska and Kytiel

While Veska squeezes past and back down the tunnel, Kytiel moves up to take a closer look at that grate. The bars are thick metal, but don't look very recent - rust coats the iron, especially around the edges. The stonework doesn't look too stable either, the mortar old and crumbling. It wouldn't be easy - or quiet - but he reckons it might be possible to bust through.

He also spots some wisps of light, coming from the chamber beyond. And as he listens, hears the faint trickle of water, a few grunts, and some...plops?

Back at the second tunnel, Veska discovers it's quite a bit narrower than the other one. She can fit in alright, but her "friends" might have to take off their bulkier equipment if they want to follow. Scurrying through the enclosed space, she finds it curves back and forth for a bit before going straight....into a grate. On the other side of this one, the tunnel continues on for about 50ft....before hitting another grate. Then, it curves out of view.

Uragh

Meanwhile, far away from the sewers, Uragh is enjoying the late-morning sun. Strolling along the waterfront, he critically examines the docked ships....and sees quite a lot. There are more than a handful of vessels marked with scratches and paint that, while innocuous to most people, signal their true purpose to those who know the Thieves' Code. Smugglers, slavers, hired muscle...the list goes on.

What interests Uragh the most, however, is the Dawnstrider.

On the surface, it's just another ordinary - if a bit rundown - merchant brigantine. But Uragh easily spots the hidden hatches in the hull, behind which he's almost positive is a sizeable number of cannons. Six...maybe eight total?

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:12 am

Jax and Vatro

Leaving Vatro to case the joint, Jax makes his way into the pub.

The interior is just as quaint and cosy as the outside. The roaring fire fills everything with warmth and light, being doubly effective in the smaller room. A cheery halfling woman is serving drinks and food from the bar, while her patrons sit and enjoy some conversation over a pre-lunch ale or two.

And over in the far corner, squashed into a booth, is Lucas. With his head in a book. He doesn't notice Jax's approach at all, only looking up when you greet him.

"Ah, Darius! It's good to see you again. Come, sit."

"I must admit, I wasn't entirely convinced you'd come. Surely you have better things to do than meet a bore like myself?"

► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:46 am

"Tch, o' course...."

Veska goes back the way she came, peeking her invisible head out the end of the pipe. "Figure anythin' out? Just more grates this way, two of 'em."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:03 am

"Good news is the bars and stone can likely be forced, bad news is the sound of us doing that is likely to bring attention..."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:23 am

"I am a man of my word, master Lucas! I am also a man of culture and I suspect you are quite the expert in this town! I look forward to picking your brains as we explore the town! Do you have anything you wish to collect or return to your room before we depart?"

Darius looks pointedly at Lucas's book.

((During the course of the day, "Darius" is going to be most interested in anything relating to the city and buildings layout (particularly any mention of old or forgotten tunnels, forgotten recesses that might have been quirks of an earlier time, and building accesses in general), the upcoming ball and its location, the Carmichael's and their properties, and the town around the bank))

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:51 am

"Oh, is that all?" Veska asks, lowering herself back down the ground again, her pipe scouting completed. "That's easy, we just use a scroll o' Silence on that an' bust right through. I mean, if we can find one fer cheap enough," Veska admits, still sore about that pricey Detect Magic scroll.

Veska pokes about for a few moments, considering what to do next. She nudges the remaining skin of the Maw with her foot... and with a spark of realization and a quick glance around, she notices something missing.

"There ain't no Crawler parts around here.... Ain't no scraps or nothin'." She glances up at Kytiel. "Ya weren't here, but this was the Maw," she explains, nudging the empty skin again with her foot. "We killed it and two Crawlers with it - them big centipede things I was talkin' about. Weren't long after the fight that more Crawlers came and started eatin' everything, but we was up that shaft there and snuck outta the meat shop. We ain't seen what happened fer sure. Now what's weird is they left bits o' this guy and there's still meat in that pile, but yer tellin' me they ain't left nothin' o' them dead Crawlers? Maybe, but we killed one before and it up and vanished, too, once we came back to it."

"Naw, somethin' ain't right about this. Somethin's goin' on with the dead Crawlers, and I wanna figure out what," Veska muses aloud. After a moment, she remembers Kytiel's presence and why he's here. "Uh... well I figure the bank hired some kinda handler to dump these monsters down here, right? So if the dead Crawlers are... I dunno, gettin' dragged somewhere or somethin', could be it'll lead us straight to 'im. And I mean if they're dumpin' monsters down here, could be they got 'im to put monsters 'round the vault to guard it?"

"Whaddaya think? 'Cause I'm thinkin' o' killin' one o' them Crawlers to see what happens to it."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:31 pm

"You mean killing it and leaving the body for bait?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:42 pm

"That's the idea. Killin' 'em makes the others come runnin'. I wanna see what they do wit' the body."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:56 pm

Kytiel looks into the shadowed darkness and shrugs.

"How many can we expect to come running? I've not fought these things before, but it sounds like they bite hard... any spitting or the like?"

((Are there any areas that are more open in here? Say, 15-20 ft ceilings?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:06 pm

"Dunno. I was thinkin' o' stayin' outta sight anyway, maybe follow 'em after."

"And they ain't so bad. Biggest thing ya gotta watch fer is their tentacles. They hit ya wit' those and yer muscles could lock up fer a bit. We came down here with a Protection from Poison spell on us 'cause we was fightin' a bunch of 'em, but if we're just jumpin' one then we oughta be fine."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:09 pm

"If we duck up one of these tunnels that ends in a grate, we'd be sure they aren't going to be swarming us from behind."

((I'm assuming these things are large enough not to fit through? I only skimmed the posts of the previous sewer adventure.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:18 pm

"Well we gotta find one first, then I'll find us a nice bolthole. Should be plenty - sewers're run by kobolds."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:40 pm

"...Run by kobolds... is that going to be a problem for us?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:56 pm

"Naw, not wit' me here at least. I did a couple o' favors fer 'em, on top o' helpin' kill the Maw. They won't bother us none."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:59 pm

"Good to hear. Doesn't hurt to be on the local's good side, and we shouldn't have to worry about them running to the authorities to rat on us."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler