The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Theis2 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:02 pm

Vatro will do an extra intrusion through the bed to make sure there's nothing extra hidden there, after grabbing the gold, knife and books.

He'll leave the room and try to listen if any of the other rooms are empty and go into those to look for more valuables!

Vatro perception: 1D20+6+1D4 = [3]+6+[4] = 13
Vatro lockpick: 1D20+7+1D4 = [8]+7+[2] = 17
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:24 am

Veska and Kytiel

After a quick discussion, the pair decide to ignore the light and keep following the drag marks. And on rounding the next few corners, they hit their first real obstacle: water. More specifically, a flooded tunnel. The surface of which is almost perfectly calm and flat.

There are no other visible paths.

Uragh

Very much bored stiff, Uragh waits. And waits.

And waits.

His mind starts to wander after the first hour, memories of life on the sea taking over. Which is why he only notices the new arrivals when his dagger vibrates in warning.

"You there. Why are you hanging around my ship?"

The speaker is a surprisingly short man, about 5' 5'', with a slight build. His clothes look almost a little too big for him - a wide brimmed hat, loose white shirt, and long leather coat. If it weren't for his heavily tanned skin and gravely voice, you might have just mistaken him for an adolescent human who stole his parents clothes. He's flanked by two others, a man and a woman with shortswords on their belts, both eyeing you up suspiciously.

Before Uragh can answer, another voice speaks up behind him - Grogun, descending the gangplank.

"He's waiting to speak to you, cap'n. Wants to talk business."

"...I see."

"Well, this is hardly a fitting place to talk. Will you join me on board, Mr....?"

Vatro

His loot pocketed, Vatro does one more sweep of the room but finds nothing else valuable. He then slips out into the hallway and starts checking the other doors. Behind the first he hears soft footsteps and humming, while the second contains at least two people having a quiet conversation. But the third sounds pretty empty.

The lock pops open with a soft click, and elven thief slips inside a room much like the others he's seen. There are two beds instead of one, and a couple of chairs by the desk. But otherwise the layout is pretty identical.

There's also an annoying absense of personal possessions - at least out in the open. Seems this one is unoccupied?

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:45 am

"Hm, well water ain't nothin' to me," Veska says, crossing her arms invisibly and glancing up at Kytiel. "You up fer a swim or ya want I should check it out first?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:53 am

"Swimming in dark flooded tunnels isn't my favorite, but we'd best go together in case something's waiting on the far side."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:06 am

Veska shrugs to herself. "I can get away if there is. But if yer sure, I'll slow down fer ya."

Assuming Kytiel's fine with that, Veska will lead the way into the water, only using half her swim speed for his sake. After a little more than a minute, if there's no end (or viable air pockets) in sight, she'll brush past Kytiel and head back to the start of the flooded tunnel.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:30 am

With a muttered grumble about being underground AND underwater, Kytiel lets his blade vanish and secures his shield to his back before following.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:22 am

(Uragh might eventually also have somewhat tried to scope out just how many people there were on the ship if it took excessively long, but oh well.)

"Uragh." He responds, stretching out an arm to give a brief shake, already quickly having stowed away the dagger safely on his side. "And yes, I'd love to." he pauses, looking to see if he'd prefer him to cross the plank first, or behind him... It didn't really matter to him, but when entering another one's ship as an unknown entity, perhaps he'd prefer not to have him at his back where one good strike with the dagger...

"Shouldn't take long, all things considered."

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Slowing down for Kytiel's benefit, Veska leads the way into the tunnel. At first it's pretty straightforward - just follow the rock walls. But after about 30ft another tunnel appears on the left.

((Roll Perception with Disadvantage))

Uragh

As Uragh stretches out his hand, the short man accepts it with a seemingly genuine smile.

"Captain Enric Jormun, of the Dawnstrider. Come."

Jormun leads the way up the gangplank, his retinue following close behind. While Grogun waits for you to step on first, giving a measured stare. It's hard to tell whether he's trying to be threatening, or if his face just looks like that.

The Dawnstrider isn't a big ship, but it's not small by any means. Based on your experience with similar vessels, you reckon it needs probably 10 crew members in total to run smoothly, including the Captain and First Mate. Of those, you can currently see Ursula and two others doing general chores on the deck.

Jormun leads you into a sizeable cabin, for a boat. There's a desk, bed, dining table, and plenty of storage. Even curtains! Compared to your room at the Safehouse it's hardly spacious, but you know from experience that it's better than what a lot of sailors put up with. The room is functional, yet fancy even for captains. Taking a bottle of what smells like rum from a cupboard, Jormun pours two glasses and gestures at the empty chair.

Glancing behind, you notice Grogun has followed you into the room. He stands in the doorway, arms crossed.

"Don't mind him - he's always suspicious of new faces. Now, Mr Uragh; what sort of 'business' are you in the market for? Transport? Cargo delivery?"

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:09 pm

Perception in water tunnel (Natural Explorer): 2D20.LOW(1)+6 = [9, 7]+6 = 13

Veska tries to keep an eye out, but seeing underwater is hard.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:59 pm

((Was that for both, or just Veska?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:13 pm

((Both.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:29 am

Uragh can't help but show a bit of a grin as he looks around, sitting down as requested, gladly accepting the rum.

"Nice place. Old captain I used to work for only kept the rum supply in his room- For obvious reasons. Must have had a lot of successful voyages, then..?" he asks, before shaking his head as the man offers his 'services'.

"Nah, nothing of the kind... At least, not at this moment- In the future perhaps. Though I might potentially offer similar services to you, in fact. Though obviously across land and in particular the city, not the sea... I tend to do the occasional delivery and such. But usually that's just when an otherwise innocent sailor tends to find his hands on smuggled goods, and it would be a shame to just hand them over for nothing to the guards, wouldn't it? Worse, poor fella's might almost be implicated for a honest mistake." he says, making it clear that there was plenty of sarcasm in those couple little statements, still showing open hands. "So hey, if you've found yourself in a situation like that, I might be able to help, for a modest little fee... And if my own past experience on the sea might be any indication, I think you'd potentially have lots of little things you'd want to get rid off, right?"

"Not really why I'm here, though it's related... I might be willing to buy some of that cargo, assuming you're looking for potential buyers. Cut a price nice in the middle, and eventually I can sell it on and cut a profit as well, everyone happy... If there's anything interesting I might even know a few people." he says, again not really one to beat around the bush too much.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:05 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Kytiel has trouble seeing more than a dozen feet ahead in this murky water, but Veska's keen eyes go further. The tunnel to the left seems to split into two about 25ft-30ft down, while the path ahead of them curves to the left after 15ft.

Uragh

"Nice place. Old captain I used to work for only kept the rum supply in his room- For obvious reasons. Must have had a lot of successful voyages, then..?"

"...we've had a good month," says Jormun with a smirk.

"Nah, nothing of the kind... At least, not at this moment- In the future perhaps. Though I might potentially offer similar services to you, in fact. Though obviously across land and in particular the city, not the sea... I tend to do the occasional delivery and such. But usually that's just when an otherwise innocent sailor tends to find his hands on smuggled goods, and it would be a shame to just hand them over for nothing to the guards, wouldn't it? Worse, poor fella's might almost be implicated for a honest mistake. So hey, if you've found yourself in a situation like that, I might be able to help, for a modest little fee... And if my own past experience on the sea might be any indication, I think you'd potentially have lots of little things you'd want to get rid off, right?"

"Not really why I'm here, though it's related... I might be willing to buy some of that cargo, assuming you're looking for potential buyers. Cut a price nice in the middle, and eventually I can sell it on and cut a profit as well, everyone happy... If there's anything interesting I might even know a few people."

Jormun is silent for a few moments, then chuckles softly and downs his drink.

"You know your stuff, don't you. I was wondering how Grogun didn't scare you off."

"Well, I'm afraid if it's our cargo you're interested in, I'm going to have to disappoint you. My...'client' has already claimed the bulk of our stores. That said, we might have some other items that could interest you...depending on what sort of things you're in the market for, of course."

"I'm guessing it's not something you could find at a general store, is it? Or something you want to be seen buying..."

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:57 pm

Veska comes to a halt, pressing a clawed hand to Kytiel to stop him, too. With no clear bloody drag marks to follow, Veska has to search for other signs of the (possible) Crawler's passage.

Survival to determine which underwater tunnel to follow (Natural Explorer): 1D20+6 = [20]+6 = 26

Veska refuses to lose the trail now, eyes quickly scanning the underwater tunnel for any possible clues. Crawlers were big and covered in bug shell, right? It must've rubbed against the wall or ceiling coming through here, so she looks for marks in the dirt and stone, especially near the tunnel entrances where it would've scraped along while turning a corner.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:23 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Unwilling to give up, Veska frantically scans the submerged tunnels for more tracks.

An immediate search of the area is inconclusive - the floor is covered in mud and loose silt, obscuring any markings. But then she spots something ahead of her. And swimming forward, her suspicions are quickly confirmed; the inside wall of the corner has numerous scratches, as if something rough and jagged was dragged past it. More than once.
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:42 pm

Mentally congratulating herself, Veska tugs on Kytiel's sleeve in the correct direction before leading the way once again!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Kytiel had his hand on the pouch, ready to remove the light stone no matter what Veska will have to say, when she gives him a tug.

He follows.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:19 am

Uragh shrugs at the comment he doesn't seem scared of Grogun, with perhaps the slightest hint of a smirk. "I'm not easily scared. Just don't feel a need to go reinforcing stereotypes, either." he says, before faking at least a mild manner of disappointment at hearing the wares are already taken.

"Ah, already taken then..? That is a shame. But you're right it doesn't necessarily have to be the end of things. If you've found something that is more than a mere bauble- Something magic, I mean, I can probably offer more for it than this employer of yours would pay... Unless they want all of that, too." he says. He PROBABLY wouldn't have enough to buy anything like it, or it'd take a lot of haggling and most of what he'd have... But if there were options, he knew some might be willing to put in cash as well, long as it could help with their goal.

"And come to think of it, there might be something else actually, yeah. Something you can't get your hands on too easily, but given your... Profession, I'm sure you got your sources. Whether it's ports that don't really stickler over the rules, or this contact of yours. But I might be looking into buying some explosives..."

Uragh sadly finds himself resorting to diplomacy, because his ingenious plan for stealing it was pretty much sunk by this point.
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:57 am

Vatro will continue on his path to plunder and look for money or valuables in the same hiding spots as before. He'll continue with this till he runs out of rooms without people in them. He'll leave 1 room with occupants pretty and place the stolen book somewhere out of sight.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:21 am

Veska and Kytiel

As the pair swim on, twisting and turning through the underwater passageway, the tunnel begins to widen slightly. You notice what looks like plant-life growing on the floor and walls up ahead - mostly algae, with a few weeds floating back and forth.
► Show Spoiler
Uragh

Magic items...? Even if we did have something you'd be interested in, I'm afraid we are loyal to our client first and foremost. I have a reputation to uphold, after all. And as for explosives, what makes you think we have anything like that on board?"

At this point Grogun speaks up, his voice grumbling behind you.

"If I may, cap'n....he already knows 'bout the cannons. First thing he pointed out."

"...I see. Well, you've certainly done your research, Mr Uragh."

"Very well. Assuming we are prepared to give up some of our hard earned supplies....how much are you looking to acquire? And for what price?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:30 am

Kytiel keeps swimming on, feeling the need to surface soon.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:03 am

Veska keeps an eye out for any pockets of air or the like as the pair swim along, ready to turn back if they don't find some air soon....

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:16 am

Veska and Kytiel

As you swim past the underwater plants, you both notice - a bit too late - the floating weeds swishing rather close...

((Dex Saves from both of you, please.))

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:23 am