The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:44 am

"Might be worth grabbin' the others...," Veska admits with obvious reluctance. "Might get the wrong attention, though, more'n bringin' you down here. We ain't run into anythin' so bad that I think we'd need more'n you an' me. Hell I could prolly do this myself wit' just these guys if I could ignore the poison."

"I'll ask 'im 'bout the boots, though," she says, turning back to Barusk. "Thurirl tuor ekess vucot svabol wer jitric tir. Svabol tir astahii tir? Vur sjek si dryic astahi, si ornla hefoc ekess vucot sjek wux ornla shala ve ekess klae astahi ekess svent wer Maw, ghoros si majak astahi spical? Rezak janik kashor batobot."

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Veska and Uragh

Veska wonders aloud whether she they could get someone to ward them against the Crawler's poison. She can't think of any specific Kobolds who'd be able to help, though - most Kobold spellcasters gained their magic from their draconic blood, not through study or meditation. Divine magic was pretty much unheard of. The best she could probably hope for was finding another like herself, blessed with nature magic, in one of the other clans.

Either that or finding another scroll...

"Thurirl tuor ekess vucot svabol wer jitric tir. Svabol tir astahii tir? Vur sjek si dryic astahi, si ornla hefoc ekess vucot sjek wux ornla shala ve ekess klae astahi ekess svent wer Maw, ghoros si majak astahi spical? Rezak janik kashor batobot."

This line of questioning doesn't seem to go down well with Barusk - scowling and shaking his head vigorously.

"Wer Jitric re ihk wer Onyx Bekifi ergriff. Thric lyriki! Lae Jennu Harroc, astahii re sini ekess klae loaw."

((I'd like a Persuasion check if you want to try convincing him to change his mind. Otherwise, are you guys just waiting for Kerash to wake up before doing anything else?))

Jax and Kytiel

After making plans to tail Barric and his assistant, Kytiel finds somewhere quiet to wait while Jax runs home to "change".

((Spider: Make a Performance check to blend in and act natural while you wait. Thinks: Make another Disguise Kit check for the new one.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:41 pm

Uragh has nothing better to do than wait he supposes. :P

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:00 pm

"Vur svaust ornla klae astahi? Wux? Arcaniss Rasvimi re ergriff ihk Jennu Harroci, usv nomenes bensvelk aurthon ekess klae astahi, vur wux re ti xihuuliup sjerit."
Persuasion on Barusk regarding magic boots: 1D20-1 = [13]-1 = 12

Veska tilts her head slightly, an idea occurring to her. As much as these Onyx Depths guys piss her off with their stubbornness, Veska still doesn't want them to die. With their Hunter gone and their numbers dwindling, it'd be great if someone capable enough could step in to fill the role. "Batobot tiliw thirku. Sjek wux confn korja shafaer wer Harroc, ghent yth ocuir svabol Kerash tepohaic ekess yenta vur ghent sia thurirl vur si kepla'nas hesina, hak yth geou ocuir svanoa wux jehli doutan. Sjek wux tir algbo, ti filki lae vi slathalinar shar lae vi Harroc, hak si shilta yenta vi bensvelk lex mrith dout Maekrix. Dout svih rigluinic vi z'ar Harroc, tisvelk."

((Yep, good with waiting!))

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:06 am

Uragh wishes he was some kind of fancy wizard instead so he could just cast some kind of bullshit spell to understand what was going on, as wizards do. when are they gonna get back to killing crawlers..?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:30 am

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:05 am

Veska and Uragh

Barusk bristles at the "not worthy yet" remark, but simmers down as Veska continues. He doesn't seem fully convinced, but is at least considering her words. And after chewing it over for a few minutes, he finally barks out a reply.

"Winhal. Dronilnr ve wer Jitric, vur wux nishka ocuir batobot si mi xihuuliup aurthon ekess klae astahi."

"Si geou relgr ihk hesi bensvelkilti harroci. Yth nishka tir svabol Rezak tiliw ti."

With that sorted(?), the Kobold and Half-Orc settle down to wait. Kerash slumbers peacefully by the fire, his wounds being tended to by the Kobold Barusk was talking to. Another one brings you some bowls of meaty stew for lunch; leaving Uragh's portion a couple of feet away rather than approaching him directly.

And about an hour or so later, Kerash finally stirs.

"Svabol....svaklar..?"

"Eschoup, isthasy. Wux re tokeq."

((That counted as a short rest, if you guys want to spend hit dice or anything else.))

Kytiel

While Jax heads off, you find a quiet spot within view of the Bank to wait for his return. You blend in so well to your surroundings that the guards barely notice your presence. And those that do are quickly put off the scent by a quick change of face.

In fact, the wait ends up being pretty boring. Which is probably a good thing?

Jax (and Vatro)

Leaving Kytiel to keep watch, you stroll back to the safehouse for a quick change. Upon arrival, the first thing you notice is the aroma of strong alcohol. Seems like Vatro set up some kind of portable brewery while he had the house to himself.

You don't let that distract you, though. Heading to your room, you soon pull together a near perfect merchant's disguise. Seriously, this thing is a work of art!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:19 am

Jax takes a few moments to decide on an appropriate accent, dialect and stature for his new persona, and Mister Frank Bartok leaves the building by a back entrance and walks back to the bank to meet Kytiel.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:32 am

"Tokeq tagoa di ve," Veska cuts in, eager to stand up and get moving now that Kerash is finally awake. "Si mi Veska wer Nurocuirgarh, Jennu Harroc di wer Achiusk Majak-Baclax svih. Sjek ti ihk ve wux ornla tepoha coanwor Crawler achthend. Wux jahen vrinpict." Her tone suddenly gains a somber note, oddly for Veska, as she eyes the other kobold's arm stump. "Si tiliw ti save dout jira. Si xoal'si, shar si mi ti jennu irisvar. Si mi bivai."

She gives Kerash a minute for that to sink in, before continuing. "Visp ve zahae wer Maw. Pamon tenpiswo vucotic tivol zahae coi, shar wux tepoha ocuirtor coi. Visp ve froneel wux vucot, zyak yth shilta svent coi."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:36 am

"Thiuk iuk fuckaumn ukavupid..." Uragh mutters silently. Maybe just wanting to let the lizards know how it feels...

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:08 am

Veska and Uragh

As Uragh grumbles in the corner, Veska chats to Kerash. His eyes are a little unfocused, but he's mostly lucid otherwise.

"Tokeq tagoa di ve, Si mi Veska wer Nurocuirgarh, Jennu Harroc di wer Achiusk Majak-Baclax svih. Sjek ti ihk ve wux ornla tepoha coanwor Crawler achthend. Wux jahen vrinpict. Si tiliw ti save dout jira. Si xoal'si, shar si mi ti jennu irisvar. Si mi bivai."

It takes Kerash a few moments to process that - lifting his arm and staring at the roughly bandaged stump. Eventually he lowers it with a sigh, and focuses on Veska.

"Coi ui desta loupon xikinir mrith sia tobor. Vinxa. Si mi persvek dout nbelaern."

"Visp ve zahae wer Maw. Pamon tenpiswo vucotic tivol zahae coi, shar wux tepoha ocuirtor coi. Visp ve froneel wux vucot, zyak yth shilta svent coi."

"Wer Maw... wux re tenpiswo ekess maulk coi? Bensvelk."

"Si tira ti ocuir kiarf di coi. Coi houpeic coinah persvek vi verthicha di saskir rhyaex. Shio si ocuira jahus vi marinx ner sia isthasy vur tar jacion sari vi reskafar di othi. Hak, si jutosha."

"Wux geou ti llewarin wer duil - wer ronir di marfedelom ui kiri versvesh. Shar qe doegel. Yth nymuera vi ivah relgr ekess udoka, shar svadrav yth lekara mobi jahus pamon mobi."

He doesn't seem to have anything else to say. Not that you think he could say much more, his voice hoarse and weak. His carer seems to have the same thought - claiming he needs more rest and shooing you away.

Jax and Kytiel

Jax's new persona has no problem making it back into the Upper Quarter, and he soon finds himself reunited with Kytiel's new face.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:13 pm

"So that's how it does it," Veska mutters, heading back to Uragh and leaving Kerash to rest.

"Got some good info," Veska says, both to Uragh and subsequently translating in Draconic to Barusk if he missed it. "This Maw thing hides in a pile o' rotting meat an' just waits to ambush ya. Might be why the Crawlers are stickin' around, too, what with the smell. Not only that, but the thing sounds smart, 'cause Kerash said it called to 'em and drew 'em in."

"Least we know what to watch out for - don't get close to the meat pile." Veska scratches her chin in thought and looks between the two of them. "Either o' you two got any o' those flasks with the fire in it? Tir wux tepoha vi tailuen ixen cemep? We set the pile on fire, it's gotta show itself, right? Sjek yth seilor coita jihl shafaer ixen, coi geou rigluin ekess evnek coinah, zlonzic?"

"Actually... nevermind, that'd light up the sewer," Veska corrects herself, remembering her primary advantage is being in the dark.
Last edited by SuperVaderMan on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:17 pm

Kytiel keeps an eye out for a red flower on a new arrival.

When Jax arrives, an old woman in a light blue dress with a yellow flower pinned to it makes eye contact with him before returning to her knitting.

Perception (Bank Watching): 1D20+1 = [19]+1 = 20
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:20 pm

Uragh nods, thinking... "You mean... Light up the sewer as in boom light up, or just regular light? Cuz I don't think these things care about the dark either." Uragh lets know... Still, he waits until they're actually out of the den and heading towards an exit before he's actually wanting to continue talking.

"Might be worth considering not doing anything yet." Uragh states- Either dense, or not caring about Veska's obvious interest in resolving the matter as soon as possible.

"I mean, think about it- If they put that thing there as extra protection while they have the valuable items in the vault... What'll happen if it gets killed? Might not be able to get another monster to replace it, but they'd figure something out..." Uragh states... But shrugs with whatever Veska proposes, seemingly agreeing.

"I think I'll go and see if there's anyone else willing to join in, though... Seems like this thing might be stronger than the both of us- Without proper prep, at least... Think any of our friends might be able to help with it? They seem to know a couple tricks..."

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:50 pm

"Sure, these things can see in the dark, but none of 'em can see me when it's dark. So like I said, nevermind I said anythin' about fire. Maybe acid would work just the same? Or we'll just... shoot into the meat pile 'til somethin' comes out."

Veska tells Barusk to make his preparations while Veska is out making hers, and that he should bring as many ranged weapons as he can, before leaving the den with Uragh. Once again she becomes a smear of darkness in the sewer tunnels.

She turns invisibly on Uragh when he suggests leaving the monsters be for fear of what they might be replaced by. "And what would ya have me do? The Onyx Depths pack is half dead, ya want me to sit around an' wait fer the Crawlers to eat any more of 'em? 'Cause if ya do, then ya can forget it! I'm takin' care o' this now."

"Anyway, Barusk and his pals're comin' with. That musclehead wants to prove himself worth bein' his pack's new Hunter, and I don't blame him. If ya wanna try an' find the others, go ahead, just don't attract any attention to yerselves comin' down here."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:05 pm

Uragh just shrugs, though- Seeming to relent pretty rapidly.

"Fine. I'd make some snide comment about how personal affairs shouldn't mess with business... But I'd be preaching to the choir." he says, reminiscing... But not caring to share.

"They'll probably think the kobolds just grouped up to deal with it, with the mess it's making... I'll go see if any of the others are available then- We'll meet again in a hour or two..?"

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:28 pm

"Yeah I'll lead ya out. Still in Crawler territory, so watch yerself."

"Maybe ya can pick up some oil flasks while yer up there? Cheaper'n the fire bottles, in case we end up needin' it," Veska suggests, fishing out a single gold coin for Uragh to take... then remembers she's still invisible, so she presses it against his hand.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:30 pm

"Yeah- I'll grab some of it off the market." Uragh agrees.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:22 pm

Veska and Uragh

After some discussion about tactics, the pair leave the Kobold warren and make their way back to the surface. Disturbingly, as you pass through the chamber where you fought the Crawler, its body is nowhere to be seen...

Luckily though, the route to the surface ends up being pretty much clear - other than some foul smelling liquid that rushes around your feet from a drainage pipe. As Uragh climbs back into daylight, Veska disappears back down into the depths, heading home.

Veska

The trip back to your pack is eventful, but not because of monsters.

Your father, Jennu Maekrix Grozn, is as grouchy and abrasive as he was when you left. And his mood isn't improved by the news that the Onyx Depths apparently let Kobold-eaters into their sewers! It's all you can do to convince him not to collapse all the northern tunnels - in the end, it's only your promise to get rid of the source which makes him relent.

The search for Protection from Poison turns out to not be as difficult as you'd anticipated, however. Tarquin comes through for you yet again, sending the location of a cleric willing to cast it....for the low low price of 40gp per person. There's also a warning that he miiiight hike up that price a little if the one asking is a monstrous race. Something about a "holy redemption tax".

Uragh

Happily back in civilisation, you wander over to the Safehouse to see who's around. The only one you find is Vatro, who seems to have converted his room into a lab/micro-brewery. Doesn't smell that bad, to be honest.

After discussing things with him a little, you then take some time to check out the markets, easily finding a shop selling oils and lamps.

Jax and Kytiel

The stakeout begins!

Jax blends into his surroundings as easily as Kytiel did, the "merchant" alternating between striking conversations with some random locals, perusing the local shops, and sipping tea with Kytiel at the quaint little tea room on the street corner. While Kytiel makes sure to regularly change his face, adding to the perception that "Mister Frank Bartok" is just a super friendly chatterbox.

As the day passes, the pair of you take note of the guard rotations - they seem to swap every 5-6 hours, it looks like. In terms of clientele, the Bank appears to cater to a range of colourful characters, from merchants on foot to noblefolk in carriages. None of them really catch your eye though - except for a ravishingly beautiful blonde, who disappears inside for quite some time before returning to her carriage. You're pretty sure Barric even greeted her at the door when she arrived.

Eventually, business outside the Bank begins to die down. Shops pack up, the tearoom stops serving, and the sky begins to darken. And, finally, the half-elf receptionist leaves. There's no sign of Barric, however.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:23 pm

((Enough to keep the tearoom happy, not so much that we are running to the bathroom constantly. Kytiel lets "Frank" treat his guests.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:28 pm

((Again?! this is payback for breakfast isn't it :lol:))

Jax heads off to tail the receptionist, giving Kytiel a wink as he leaves.

((See you back at the safehouse! good luck :D ))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:03 pm

((Maybe... but if I'm swapping out as different guests, it seems to make more sense if you are the one seen to pay. Get an invoice to me later. Good luck to you too!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:07 am

Begrudgingly, Veska casts Disguise Self so that she looks like a thin halfling girl with long, black hair. She wanted to save that magic for clearing the sewers, but it's more important that this cleric of Tarquin's doesn't know there are kobolds asking for a Protect from Poison spell. There's no telling who this guy might snitch to, especially if he's willing to give monstrous races like her a hard time. Veska could care less about saving on the gold, honestly.

With that, assuming there are no complications, Veska will guide Uragh and Vatro back to the Onyx Depths' den as quickly as she can! She wants to get the most out of that spell duration.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:06 am

After a brief talk with Uragh, Vatro will follow along after making sure his equipment is safe to leave behind. He'll get a protection from poison spell cast on him as well when he is told about what they are facing.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread