The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:12 am

"Awright, now le's find another sewer grate an' get outta here. Long as we steer clear o' the bank, where the Crawlers are, we should be fine. 'Less you lugs got a better way?" Veska asks skeptically.

Assuming they don't, Veska will lead the way, back down into the sewer and eventually back up to the hideout!

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:46 am

Veska, Uragh, and Vatro

It takes her a while, but Veska does eventually track down a sewer grate that Uragh could fit through.

Probably.

Unfortunately, there's a slight problem - two guards, stationed on a nearby street corner. They don't seem to be guarding the grate specifically, but it is directly in their line of sight.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:13 pm

"Veska, can you change my appearance? And how well does any of you know the rich district?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:23 pm

"Nah, only myself. Can't even do that right now - I'm tapped outta magic."

"I can get around fine, could prolly find another way down to the sewers. But if we poke about too long, we're prolly gonna get seen," Veska says, her tail twitching irritably as she peers out towards the guards.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:16 am

Veska, Uragh, and Vatro

After a quick discussion, the trio decides not to risk attracting the guards' attention.

Keeping to the smaller alleyways, they skirt closer to the wall between the districts, while Veska searches for another way underground. And they get lucky - soon coming across a storm grate that's worn loose! Heaving it up, the last one scurries through....just as a pair of guards on patrol cross the end of the alley.

"Hey, wait a minute. You hear that?"
"Ah, don't waste your time. It'll just be another damn rat."
"...yeah. Yeah, you're right. Anyway, so I said to Jeff-"

Be it through luck or magical intervention, the guards ignore the clanging grate and move on. While the three criminals journey back to the lower district, eventually returning to the Safehouse to find Jax passed out on the couch. Kytiel turns up a few hours later, returning from whatever he was up to.
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:33 am

Without a word, Veska just breathes a sigh of relief at the relative safety of the hideout, before trudging upstairs to her room to bed down for the night. She quite liked having a bed.

That's not to say she won't fortify her door first, of course, because she does.

((Ready to move on to the next day!))

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:00 am

"That was... Eventful. And I hated every moment of it."

"If you excuse me, I'm gonna rest and recover from these wounds, now..."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:14 am

Whenever Jax wakes up from his long rest (presumably in the small hours of the morning) (and feeling slightly guilty that he's slept so long) he'll check the others' rooms to determine if they've made it back yet, starting with Kytiel's room since he was the one who was definitely off on his own all day.

Rolls for fun:
Stealth; Perception:
1D20+6 = [7]+6 = 13
1D20+6 = [5]+6 = 11

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:43 am

Jax

Waking up with the light of dawn, you feel refreshed and energised. So, naturally, you decide to test your sneaking skills on your companions. However, when you go to try Kytiel's door, you find it locked tight.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:07 am

Uragh

When Uragh wakes, he feels...better, surprisingly! The bite wounds still ache, but your hardy constitution seems to have fought off whatever bacteria you picked up in the sewers.

((Uragh is no longer Poisoned.))
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:18 am

Uragh stretches, before heading downstairs, waiting for others to arrive... Thinking about what the plan for today would be... He wasn't exactly eager to go back in the sewers just yet. Maybe he'd take a trip by the docks and try to acquire some... Explosives? Something tells him that might end up useful one way or another... He's got a couple things he wants to buy regardless.

((Gee, that IS nasty..!))

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 am

Veska's sleep wasn't quite as sound as yesterday's. Thoughts of giant centipedes and hideous be-tentacled monsters devouring the resident kobolds made sleep a little difficult. She's determined to remedy the problem, if not today then when all this heist stuff is over.

Shuffling down the stairs looking like the dark-haired halfling the group is familiar with, she meets up with the party in the living area, same as yesterday.

"Awright, what'd we find out?" Veska starts, looking to Jax and Khytiel. To Uragh and Vatro she only flashes a glance. "The three of us found out the bank's dumpin' monsters in the sewers, big centipede lookin' things called Crawlers and some three-legged thing with a big mouth and teeth and tentacles the kobolds called the Maw. They been put there to keep folks away from under the bank buildin'. They got a butcher throwin' his old meat down to 'em to keep 'em there, and the bank folk even made 'im a secret tunnel in his cellar that goes straight under the bank. Tunnel don't go to the bank itself, but I'm guessin' one o' the pipes in the room it goes to does."

"The meat shop owner's an old dwarf. I dunno if he's got anythin' to do wit' the bank, 'sides dumpin' meat down a hole. Maybe one o' you could figure out if he knows anything?"

"I was thinkin' o' goin' back to that place in the sewer, figure out which way does go up to the bank this time. I'll prolly try an' track down where the monsters're comin' from while I'm there, see if there ain't some kinda handler we can grab and get talkin'."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:46 am

"Mind, we're not actually certain about that conclusion... But yeah- Too many coincidences to not think that's exactly what's going on." he says, already shaking his head when Veska starts talking about going back.

"I'm NOT heading back down there... Unless there's no other choice left. But yeah- I suspect there's at least something to be found, if they went to such lengths to try and secure it..."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:01 pm

((what time would it be about now? Because if Jax can determine that everyone's safe, he probably would have gone for a pre-dawn stroll around town, paying attention to which places (if any) stay open near the bank (e.g. inns, bordellos, what have you) and what kinds of people are awake at that time of night (guards, homeless, drunks) )).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:09 am

"The BANK is dropping monsters in the sewers?! The manager did say they went to quite the efforts to keep their clients belongings safe... That tunnel might have promise, it's a multi-key protocol to get into any of the storerooms from the bank itself. Jax and I hung out near the bank, he tailed one of the underlings home, I was waiting to trail the manager, but he got a late visit. I followed them instead, lead back to the Carmichael estate, I poked around there a bit, the grounds have a cabin and a rather extensive mausoleum. I explored it a bit, but since I was there alone, and no one knew where I'd gone, didn't feel like getting entombed by accident."

If another sewer venture is in the offering, Kytiel would be willing to accompany.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:33 am

"The bank manager's got two assistants and theyre twins. Male and female I'd guess, though it's hard to tell with elves sometimes. They live next door to each other... Here. I'm not entirely sure what to make of that information, but be careful if you're speaking to them or the manager at the bank cos they're easy to confuse. The male, Eris, has a bit of a squarer jaw and a bit of fuzz on his chin that his sister Erin doesn't have. They're expecting "me" to go and complain about them this morning, but I don't think I can be bothered.

Besides, I'm supposed to meet a historian who agreed to give me a tour of the city this afternoon. He's got a ticket to this ball that's coming up, which seems like something we want. I can keep him busy for a while, and you lot could search his room or stage a mugging in case he's keeping it on his person. He's staying... Here. We'll be meeting there if you want to follow along and rob the guy."

((I can't easily go back and look up the details on my phone so I'm assuming Jax wrote the addresses down somewhere and is showing the others)).

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:08 am

Veska's eyes glaze over at the mention of topsider intrigue or other. It's not like she's going to interact with any of those people, so no point in remembering the details.

She peers at Kytiel when he offers to come along on the sewer expedition. "Yer a human, ain't ya? Can ya even see in the dark? 'Cause it'd make things a lot harder with you shinin' a light on us the whole way."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:24 am

"I'll be able to get by with magic. No need to worry about me giving us away with a lantern or the like."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:43 am

"Hm, awright then. I gotta pick some stuff up first, then we're headin' down."

Assuming no one else needs anything of her, Veska will leave to pick up some supplies. She'll purchase some arrows, some more rope, as well as one of those fancy hooded lanterns if she can find one, just in case she really needs some light and wants to be discrete about it. She'll also get 10 flasks of oil like she bought for Uragh yesterday, both for the lantern and because fire is pretty good at solving problems (should be 10 gp total?).

After that she'll meet up with Kytiel and start making the trip back down the sewers, towards the former Maw's lair.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 am

Uragh seems to be doing some more thinking, eventually speaking up.

"I think I'm gonna go on a reconnaissance mission, of sorts... We gotta plan an eventual getaway route, and I think a good bet might be from the sewers to the river, towards the docks... Also gotta run a couple errands, and I'm gonna look and see if I can get my hands on a small stash of black powder... I figure we're gonna encounter something that'll be useful for, yeah? If only for a distraction..."

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:36 am

Veska and Kytiel

Leaving the safehouse, Veska heads to the market for supplies. Luckily, nothing she's looking for is very hard to find, and she manages to duck into an alleyway just as her Disguise is wearing off.

((Anything Kytiel wants to do before going into the sewers?))

Uragh

Setting off for the river, you soon reach the path running alongside it. The section you're standing on is raised about 5t above the water level, with a 3ft high stone wall in place to stop kids (or fools) from falling in. There are no such protections on the other side of the river. After all, why should the city care about the people in the slums?

To your left, you can see the gate into the slums, with a few bored-looking guards stationed there.

To your right, the wall continues for a hundred feet or so before becoming wooden railings, then stone again, and so on into the distance. Some buildings go right up against the water, while other parts are fenced off for private piers.

((Give me a Perception check if you want to search for sewer entrances.))

Jax and Vatro

While the others head off, Jax and Vatro try to plan out what they're going to do about this historian fellow. His inn, The Elven Minstrel, is not too far from the Safehouse. It's also quite close to the Faraw Garrison, where most of the upper members of the city guard live and work. But that won't be a problem, right...?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:32 am

((of course not! It'll be great! What could go wrong :P ))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:36 am

Kytiel will shift his appearance to be shrouded in grey robes that match the color palette of the sewer stone and press his fingers to his eyes before they go in, muttering a few arcane words, and when he removes his fingers, his irises are the color of burnished gold.

He'll also pull out a single ball bearing and cast light on it before tucking it away so its glow is hidden. "Just in case we need actual illumination."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:30 am

At the meeting place Kytiel sees an entirely different-looking, small form waving him over.

"Yeah, yeah, it's me," Veska admits reluctantly. After yesterday she wasn't going to spend more magic than necessary on disguises. Besides, "ya prolly already knew I weren't what I looked like anyway."

With that out of the way, Veska will lead the way down into the sewer, to that spot where the Maw died.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:31 am