The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:45 pm

"Yes, my associate will be needing to open an account for a considerable sum, and we wished to see what you had to offer here. Tell your manager we wish to speak with him."

Jax looks around, under the pretense snootily surveying his surroundings. He's looking for windows, access points through the ceiling, sources of lighting and an estimate of the number of staff.

((Heading out for a bit, so here's a perception roll for now:
Perception: 1D20+6 = [14]+6 = 20))

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:00 pm

"What the...?" Veska starts, peering up at the enormous centipede-looking thing up on the ledge. Did some rich idiot buy an exotic pet and let it loose in the sewers again?

Then it directs its attention towards her, or, more accurately, her bloody arm-filled bag.

"Aw hell."

Initiative against enormous centipede: 1D20+4 = [20]+4 = 24

Veska considers closing the distance with the centipede monster, but... that sounds like a terrible idea. Veska might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but she's not stupid. Instead, quick as a whip, Veska immediately drops the bag on the ground and darts back to a safer distance. Drawing her bow, she incants a spell, zeroing in her focus on the giant bug with a Hunter's Mark. She then lets loose 3 arrows, one after another, up at the centipede!

Actions + Rolls
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:16 pm

"The hell is going on today?!" Uragh says, getting rather angry, assuming the thing comes in range at least... Seemed this thing was worth raging over!

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:55 pm

Veska and Uragh

Reacting like lightning, Veska drops the arm bag and fires off a barrage of arrows at the creature. Her shots are deadly accurate, drilling into the beast's carapace and causing it to shriek with agony. She then darts towards the opposite wall and begins to climb, but isn't quite fast enough to make it to the upper tunnel.

The centipede-thing then scuttles across the walls alarmingly fast for something of its size, almost crossing the entire chamber! Its tentacles reach out and snatch at the air around Veska, barely missing as she clings to the wall. But then it seems to guess where she is, razor-sharp teeth grazing her arm for 5 damage!

Meanwhile, Uragh gets angry in the shadows. Like some kind of weird, pissed-off ghost.

Veska (24), 39/44Hp
Large Tentacle Centipede (19), Badly Injured
Uragh (13), 41/47Hp, Raging(?)
► Show Spoiler
Jax and Kytiel

"Yes, my associate will be needing to open an account for a considerable sum, and we wished to see what you had to offer here. Tell your manager we wish to speak with him."

"Of course sir, just one moment please."

With a professional bow, the half-elf slips away. You watch him talk to a small man on the other side of the room, who nods and points up a great stone staircase.

As you wait, Jax takes a haughty look around. The inside is just as impressive as the outside - you're currently standing in a large foyer full of marble pillars, expensive mahogany desks, and even a few crystal chandeliers. There are only two more guards inside, guarding what looks like a staircase leading down. There are plenty of windows, but all the ones on this level are reinforced with fancy metal bars. Not the ones on the roof, though - those seem pretty unprotected, as far as Jax can tell.

Other than the chandeliers, most of the light seems to come from the numerous large windows. They don't appear to be fans of torches around here. And in terms of staff, most of them seem to be clerical workers. He counts at least a dozen of them.

After a few more minutes of waiting, the elf returns - accompanied by a gnome with neatly trimmed hair and a goatee.

"Welcome, my good sirs! I understand this is your first time here, no?"

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:58 pm

(So, what are Uragh's options for hitting it from range..? Could he try throwing one of his daggers?)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Uragh grabs one of the daggers on the side of his belt- Looking to throw it square at the

(Some of the rolls below might not be applicable, but I rolled just in case... Also used dex modifier because I'm pretty sure you have to while throwing?)

Dagger throw (w adv) and sneak damage: 2D20.HIGH(1)+3 = [9, 4]+3 = 12
1D6+3 = [1]+3 = 4
2D6 = [2, 3] = 5

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:04 pm

Veska hisses in pain as the scales part on her arm, but her focus on her Hunter's Mark remains steadfast. Now about the centipede that closed that's practically right on top of her....

Thankfully Uragh chucking knives at the bug reminds her that she's not alone, and there's strength in numbers! With a glance below her, she simply lets go of the wall and drops to the ground before the centipede can get a swipe on her. She lands in a heap on the stone floor, getting the wind knocked out of her, but that's probably better than what at monster-pede could've done.

Veska maintains her focus on her spell as she scrambles to her feet and backs up closer to Uragh. She nocks two more arrows and lets them fly into the centipede monster!

She then drops her bow and draws one of her shortswords, ready to the draw the other soon.

Actions + Rolls
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:01 am

((Disengage is an action though, so takes the place of being able to attack unless you have a class feature that lets you do it as a bonus action.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:01 am

Veska and Uragh

Veska gets huge whiff of putrid flesh as the centipede rears over her, likely the stench of its last meal. Now that the thing's closer, she can see that her arrows did hurt it pretty badly. One even caught an eye, popping it like a water-skin full of blood and goo. Which probably just made it angrier.

She quickly decides she'd rather take her chances with the ground.

But before she can swan-dive off the wall, she hears a soft "thud", and the creature tenses. Instead, it's the one that begins falling - the lifeless monstrosity crashing down into a puddle of filth, Uragh's dagger embedded deep in it's brain.
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:23 am

"I thought you said this was supposed to be easy..? Not have literal monsters crawling everywhere..." Uragh grunts, stepping closer.

(Bit confused about the actual layout here- Is there a pit that it fell down, or could Uragh reach it without climbing..? Whatever it was eating was above them, right?)

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:59 am

"Yeah, was supposed to be easy," Veska grumbles, lowering herself safely back to the ground. She walks over and picks over the body for her arrows, actually having to hold her breath against the stench for once. "This ain't no damn sewer monster, least it weren't in the first place. Came from some'eres else, hell if I know where. Was thinking some rich moron bought it as a pet an' let is loose down here once it got too big - that happens sometimes. Dunno if anyone would buy this thing, though," Veska admits, making an invisible face. "Smells worse'n anythin' else down here."

Veska gives the monster a quick look over to see if she remembers it from somewhere, but hell if she knows what it is.
Nature check on Tentacle-pede: 1D20-1 = [7]-1 = 6

A thought occurs to Veska then, and she looks up at Uragh. "What about this'un? Ya think there's someone that'd pay fer this thing's head?" She asks with a chuckle.

She hadn't forgotten about what brought her to this chamber though. She picks up her bloody arm bag, hesitantly, and tracks the blood trail again back up the ledge to where the tentacle-pede was hiding, climbing up to see what had it preoccupied before.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 am

Unless the thing is actually a parrot, Uragh wouldn't know anything about it... Probably.

Nature: 1D20 = [8] = 8

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:15 am

"Welcome, my good sirs! I understand this is your first time here, no?"

"Yes it is. My associate will soon be in need of some... wealth protection measures, and we wish to know what your establishment can provide."

((As weird as "wealth protection" sounds, I imagine banks aren't the only feasible option available in a magical fantasy world? I couldn't think of better phrasing...))

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:52 pm

Veska and Uragh

The pair approach the beast cautiously, getting a much better look now that it's not squirming around. At about 5ft tall and 5ft wide, but almost 20ft long, it's a wonder it even manages to fit down some of these tunnels. Let alone drag things back.

That said, neither of them are monster experts. The only thing they know for sure is that they've never seen anything like it before.

While Uragh (presumably) yanks his dagger back, the blade popping free with a sickening squelch, Veska scavenges for her arrows. She only manages to recover the one in its eye though, the others having snapped off inside the thick carapace. Then, after retrieving the arm as well, Veska moves over to the other wall and carefully clambers up towards that ledge.

What she finds up there isn't exactly pleasant.

The stench of rotting meat is almost too much to bear, but she fights through it - counting what looks like three or four bodies in various states of decay. The worst ones are barely distinguishable from piles of offal any more, but one belongs to a much fresher victim: a torn-up, blood-soaked, one-armed Kobold.

Jax and Kytiel

"Yes it is. My associate will soon be in need of some... wealth protection measures, and we wish to know what your establishment can provide."

"Of course! Well, you certainly came to the right place, my friends! Arandale is the envy of all competitors, near or far. Nothing in the realm is more secure than our vaults."

"Come, come. Let us sit, talk business. Can Eris here fetch you anything to drink?"

Beckoning for them to follow, he leads them upstairs and into a plush, well-furnished office. A large mahogany desk takes up most of the room, behind which the gnome himself sits. It's so tall, he had to take what seems to be a step-ladder to get into his chair.

"Now, to business. What sort of measures were you in the market for? We have an impressive range available, from personal deposit boxes to the more....grandiose options..."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:19 pm

(Was there another corpse in the opposite corner, or was that something else..? If there is...)

Investigation: 1D20+6 = [12]+6 = 18

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Veska's eyes go wide when she recognizes the draconic body. Without even checking to see if they're still alive or not, Veska incants a spell while making a few hand gestures, summoning a ghostly crocodile from the ether. She directs the ephemeral Healing Spirit to curl itself around the kobold, and herself as she kneels over their body.

After a moment, she gets an idea in her head, and hastily shakes out the arm in her bloody bag, quickly aligning the chewed-up limb with the kobold's stump. Maybe it's fresh enough that it will work?? If the kobold even makes it, that is....

Healing Spirit
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:26 pm

"Would you terribly mind describing the range available? As my associate mentioned, I will be looking to secure a sizable sum, but don't yet know the total... an unexpected inheritance, you see."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 pm

"...The hell is going on up there..?"

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:21 pm

"Lotta dead things, tha's what!" Veska shouts irritably over her shoulder, still trying to stabilize the questionably-alive kobold. She turns her attention back to them and mutters, "here's to hopin' fer one less...."

((Uragh can probably just climb up, too, if he wants?))

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Veska and Uragh

Not wasting any time, Veska summons forth a healing spirit for her poor brethren. The ethereal crocodile snuggles up to it - him? - and begins pulsing out healing magic. You feel your own wound sooth itself, the pain ebbing away (restore 4Hp). But you have no idea whether it's working for the other Kobold. In truth, you're not even sure if he's still alive....

((Roll Medicine))

Meanwhile, on the floor of the chamber, Uragh waits impatiently next to the cooling carcass.

((Roll Perception))

Jax and Kytiel

"Would you terribly mind describing the range available? As my associate mentioned, I will be looking to secure a sizable sum, but don't yet know the total... an unexpected inheritance, you see."

Stroking his short beard thoughtfully, the gnome nods to "Khyle's" words.

"Hmph, I see....well, that shouldn't be too much of a problem."

"As I said, our baseline offer is a personal deposit box. Each one can hold up to the equivalent of 2000 gold in coins, gems, or precious minerals. Most of our customers purchase additional boxes if they require the space, but those who desire extra security may decide instead to purchase a gated sub-vault. These contain space for many boxes, alongside the room for a few larger items."

"Our last option is the private vault. This is most attractive to our more discerning customers. You are provided with your own key, and access to it is entirely at your own discretion. Unlike the previous levels, we have no control or knowledge of what you choose to place inside."

"Of course, there is also the top end deal...but that's beyond your range, I'm sure. The maintenance fees alone are extravagant!"

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:30 pm

Uragh, bored, just keeps on high guard for any other nasty fuckers...

Perception: 1D20+2 = [20]+2 = 22

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Under the healing aura of her crocodile spirit, Veska checks to see if the kobold can even be saved. She makes damn sure that he can, checking his pulse, heartbeat, breath, she even slaps him on the snout a couple times for a reaction, anything she can think of! What's that thing the humans do sometimes? Where they pump on someone's chest to get their heart going?

Medicine roll to see if Kobold is still alive: 1D20 = [20] = 20

(Also here's a roll I forgot to post for attaching the guy's arm. She didn't roll so well for this one :paranoia: )
Medicine roll for reattaching Kobold arm during Healing Spirit: 1D20 = [5] = 5

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:52 pm

"You are very likely correct! However, now I'm curious! Just what do those extravagant maintenance fees get you?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Jax will accept a brandy and take in the surroundings of the office while the other two talk.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:28 am

Veska and Uragh

Bending over the Kobold, Veska tries checking his pulse. She can't feel anything, but that's not saying much - judging by how much blood's on the ground, there's probably not much left in him for his heart to pump. But when she leans her face over his mouth, she's pretty sure she feels a faint, rattly breath!

She also realises that the whole arm-reattaching thing sure as hell ain't working. Even if the limb hadn't already been torn to pieces by the rats, the stump looks like it might be going necrotic.

Meanwhile, Uragh is still chilling on the floor below, keeping an eye out for any unwelcome visitors. He doesn't see any more Tentapedes, but does pick up on some distant sounds echoing down tunnel opposite. It sounds like....footsteps, maybe? Whatever it is, it's distant enough to not be a problem.

For now.
► Show Spoiler
Jax and Kytiel

"You are very likely correct! However, now I'm curious! Just what do those extravagant maintenance fees get you?"

The gnome pauses briefly, then smiles, nods, and continues. You get the feeling he just likes hearing the sound of his own voice.

"Well...ordinarily when hiring a vault, there are certain restrictions one must follow. Maintaining structural integrity, not storing dangerous items, things along those lines. However, for sufficient investment, those rules can be...'waived'. You can redesign the vault to your desires, set up your own personal security measures, even expand beyond the limitations of the existing walls. Within reason, of course."

"But such measures have a variety of additional expenses that must be considered. Construction, city planning permissions, and so forth. I'm not about to name names, obviously, however our largest customers have spent a small fortune ensuring their investments are protected sufficiently for their liking."