Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:35 am

I'm playing Ves that she doesn't know anything that she hasn't experienced directly and fairly obviously. So no, she won't know, but I do :P

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:31 am

If you want to all just sort through the junk pile we can skip the investigation rolls. It will take half a day to do a thorough job however and it will be dark outside before you are done. That probably doesn't matter :paranoia: but just so you know!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:35 am

Nah, it's just junk. I'd like Joe to take a quick look at it, but there's no point wasting time on mouldy crap right now, especially if this place isn't safe yet (based on the runes and recent activity)

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:44 am

Jaq won't be so quick to dismiss going through the stuff...he wants at least a few baubles from ruins to take home.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:00 am

True, while Joe is ritually casting comprehend languages she can check and see if there are magic items and point them out.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:06 am

She'd have to do that first. Or recast it and do it after. Besides difficulty in not interrupting ritual to point out magic, casting a ritual spell takes concentration, so would lose detect.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:11 pm

I suppose we might as well dig around for the ten minutes it takes to cast the ritual, at least.

Edit: AGAIN I read and respond to one of OOC or IC when the other was what I needed to read first. >.>
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:35 pm

If we can all get back to the room opposite the bone alter...the empty room, we can all get attacks in and won't be stuck in the hallway. Any better thoughts?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:47 am

Seems wise. Firing past an ally imposes some form of cover, right? If it were a swarm then I'd say use the narrow hallway to our advantage, but since it's just two and one big one it would be better to make use of the room.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:29 am

It does provide cover, how much depends on angle.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:21 am

Yeah, let's fall back and use the doorway as a choke point.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:32 am

After tomorrow I am going to be in and around Budapest and Vienna so I won't be able to update the map and will probably be slower to update. Probably not going to be a problem though!

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Dlover, I am assuming that maybe the big shadow is far too strong for Lurn to be able to turn it??
Rodgier, how close is the big shadow to the doorways of the adjoining rooms?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:42 pm

Oh shit, I forgot my Channel Divinity refreshed on a short rest. So, the question becomes: Do we want to force it to flee until someone hits it, or do we want to give it Vulnerability to one hit?

Turn Undead would make it flee at full speed for ten turns - assuming it *is* undead and fails a DC 15 will save - or until it gets hit, which would temporarily drive it back. The alternative is one hit is treated as though the thing has Vulnerability to all its damage, which may or may not override weaknesses or immunities.

One bigger hit may not be enough, whereas Turn Undead ends when we hit it... So, here's an idea. We keep going with the fighting retreat, and when we get as far as Triss can go I use Turn Undead, spend a bunch of turns forcing it back, and then fighting retreat again. What do we think?
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:55 pm

Kroshav isn't much help either way, I don't think I have ANYTHING in the tank, am currently only working with +1 STR modifier, and have only 3HP. Were he up and functional, a divine smite off of a Path to the Grave might be in order, but as it stands, I think the best damage output for that is if Jaq can land a sneak attack on it with his bow? Possibly one of Ves's radiant beams?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:19 pm

Yeah, that's another thing. We don't have any super attacks that I can buff up. If it negates resistance or immunity it'd be quadrupling damage or just making it effective, but it's still just one hit. If we can manage ranged attacks and slowing it down the idea of delaying as long as we can and then using Turn Undead to push it back as far as possible would basically give us an extra ten turns before it overwhelms the space Triss can stand in, so we can get a good few extra attacks in after that. Even if all of our front fighters are put out of commission like Kroshav, the extra turns for our ranged fighters may help.

And Spider, it only drained your Strength, right? How's Kroshav's Dex? Could get the light crossbow from Jolly. 1d8+Dex damage, and Piercing seems to work well, since Jaq's attacks are effective.

But y'know what would be *really* effective right now? Magic Stone. If we survive this, Magic Adept for that and Shillelagh are sounding more and more appealing. I mean, cantrip options for producing Magical weapons for range or melee? That sounds real nice right about now.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:39 pm

Dex is 10. He's a big beefy boy, not going to be doing much acrobatics or stealthiness.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:47 pm

Welp, you're still better with your Javelins, then, I suppose... Or do those use dex too? Ah well.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:22 pm

Javelins are strength. Better chance to hit, and damage averages out to the same vs switching for crossbow. Only benefit to crossbow is range.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:28 am

NotStickFigures wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:43 pm Rodgier, how close is the big shadow to the doorways of the adjoining rooms?
20 ft to reach the rooms.

@Dlover Lurn knows that shadows are undead but this isn't exactly a textbook shadow though it seems very similar in most ways.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:04 am

It's entirely possible that this is some sort of magical darkness instead of an undead, yeah. Hell, I don't know for sure what the big one is, I'm just guessing it's like some agglomeration of Shadows. But our best chance is hoping that it is an undead.

Then again, it's showing signs of damage, so maybe thing's aren't so bad. Path To the Grave works on any creature, so pairing that with... Probably either Ves or Joe's attack? That could do pretty well.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:44 am

Oh and everyone is level 4.

I wrote it but never hit submit I guess. Roll me some HP, same as last time roll or the average.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:21 am

Lurn level 4 HP: 1D8+5 = [2]+5 = 7 6
Absolutely hit the wrong button, it's +4 instead of +5. Also, ouch, rough roll. So I guess I'm only getting the 5 average +4 to 9.

Hitting level 4, Lurn gets one more level 2 spell slot, and learns a new cantrip. Then there's the ability increase or feat... I'm leaning toward Magic Initiate, but it's something I'll have to consider. Same for the cantrip, I'll have to consider it.

At the moment, I'm thinking of taking my new cantrip as either Resistance or Sacred Flame. Resistance would up my buffing potential, but Sacred Flame offers me an attack that doesn't have a wisdom save (even though it does have a dex save), and means I have attack cantrips for both Necrotic and Radiant damage.

Now, thing is, if I take Magic Initiate and pick up Shillelagh and Magic Stone, they'd both give me alternative damage types too. Which is why I'm not just thinking Sacred Flame is the straight up best option. Any thoughts?

Apart from that, gaining a level gives me an extra space for a prepared spell. If only I had the items I'd consider Augury to get some info on delving into this place, but since I lack those... I don't know. Sanctuary, maybe? Anyone know of useful first or second level cleric spells?
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:44 am

Oh, and let me know ASI or feat (no Magic the gathering or Unearthed arcana).

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:56 am

Hit point level 4: 1D8 = [3] = 3
So, 5HP for average.

Heh, and I see my sneak attack should have been 2d6 for all of level 3 already. I had forgotten that and been shorting myself. Now I'll remember. Maybe.

I'll have to do the rest when I get home and in front of books, but I think all I might get at 4th level is ASI.