Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by Dlover » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:07 pm

Hey, not all warlocks made deals with sinister things. Some of them work for celestials. Or maybe just an insanely OP sorcerer who needed an apprentice that wouldn't be entirely useless.

Also, Lurn would kick himself if his failure with this hand delays others from closing that portal. He'd rather see it closed with his soul on the other side than left open long enough to draw more demons into the material plane. But he'd only kick himself once. Gotta save energy to go beat the hell out of Orcus. :P
(Or more likely die after a couple of rounds, but what could be funnier than using Turn Undead on the demon lord of undeath and having him terrified of a little level 5? I presume he himself is undead, at least.)
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:31 pm

Well... the published Orcus is a fiend (demon), not undead... but even if he was... very, very unlikely he wouldn't make the save, and even if he doesn't, can decide that he does. Let's keep you out of his clutches for at least a few more levels if we can, yes? :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:27 am

You know how much the dice love me, though. Clearly he'd roll a 1 on the save. Ignore that the dice are keeping me there right now, they just want Lurn to smite the undead Fiend. Plus, he's Only got +5 to Wisdom.He'd have to roll, like... An ELEVEN to make the save. Odds are against him. :p
(Also ignore that if CR is accurate for "one monster, 4 player party" evaluations, Orcus should be taking on a part of level 26, and against a single level 5 his yawn would be enough to kill.)

But really, it would be hilarious for a party to be fighting some sort of undead megaboss and just... "Turn Undead, let's take a minute to clear out the minions while that thing cowers in a corner." Admittedly, your point of Legendary Resistance stands. Just means you have to hit them with enough saves that they want to succeed first. :p
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:02 am

I am not saying that Orcus is personally aware of your existences BUT Lurn did destroy a holy relic he was using to create something like a portal from his realm to the material plane. Seems like maybe something a godlike being of malice seeking the end of all life might notice but Demonlord's are capricious so I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly, I am really trying to turn this game into a murder mystery and all the rest of you are just distractions from that and need to be dealt with.

Turn undead wouldn't work on most of Orcus's high level followers as they are fiends and the rest have either turn immunity or turn resistance. I believe death knights give resistence to everyone within... 30ft and others grant full immunity. ::cough::

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:29 am

See, what I understand of that is...
"Dude, this jerk blew apart my cool mace portal!"
"OH NO HE'S IN HERE"
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:38 am

I do very much like to think the Demonlord of the Undead refers to people as 'dude'. Things are way laid back in Orcus's neighborhood of the Abyss.

It was a pretty cool portal though.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:30 am

+5 Wisdom modifier, but +8 proficiency.... And he's proficient on Wisdom saves for a +13. So he'd have to roll better than a 3... with advantage.... :paranoia:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:48 am

So, I think what Spider means is - "Hey! There's a chance!"

...but not really since he isn't actually undead.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:06 am

Oh wow, the things I was looking at didn't even show any form of proficiency... Oh, okay, no, there's literally a "saving throws" section of the monster stat sheets, I'm just blind apparently. +8... Yeah, that's pretty fair, goes beyond most mortals' potential... Though, if I'm remembering the Expertise Jaq has right, rogues would eventually be able to show off a proficiency of 12.

And of course Orcus would use 'dude', when you exist eternally you've got to keep up with the times to stave off boredom.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:26 am

Ah yes, dude is the razor's edge of current lingo.

Jaq already has a +11 in stealth, by the time he is level 20 he would have a +17. Rogue's have that sweet, sweet expertise proficiency that doubles their proficiency bonus in up to 4 skill proficiencies.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:36 am

"Dude. I'm not going to fight you."

[BBvideo=400,300]https://youtu.be/ZcGaP5u7GZU?t=821[/BBvideo]
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:34 am

The world of D&D isn't modern yet, Rodgeir, clearly. They haven't made it past the point of "dude" being cool.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:50 pm

Spider, you remember you ended up with the hobgoblin general's warhammer?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:26 pm

At one point I did, but had since forgotten!

I'll have to play around with it once we get back to camp.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:31 am

Well, I also hadn't added it to the loot page. It's there now.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:27 am

Cool, thanks.

Spiders are able to regrow limbs as they molt. They'll make a new little limb the first molt after it is lost, then bigger ones the time after that.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:47 am

My daughters thought it was neat! What's that coming out of the top right one?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:46 am

By the butt? The disc at the bottom of the picture is the top of the cephalothorax (where the head and legs are), it kind of pops open around the edge like lifting the lid off a can of tuna. The abdomen is much less hard, and kind of gets torn and shriveled up like a burst balloon when it's done.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:11 pm

Sorry haven't posted yesterday but life got in the way...even when one is in lockdown...

Actually has anyone else read the ben bova lockdown series here?
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:08 am

I had a Brazilian pink-toed tarantula but I never caught her mid-molt. She also turned out to be a he and only lived for two and a half years, much to my wife's relief.

It is pretty much business as usual in Sweden, no shutdowns of anything.y kids are off from school this week so I took the week off with them. No time for extras!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:55 am

Not a full lockdown here either, though we're not meant to go out unless it's necessary (Supply shopping, work, etc), or for one session of exercise per day.

Which, for me, basically means no changes. Classes are done online, which saves me like $20 per week, but otherwise nothing different.

Also, on the topic of spiders, I have lots. Too many. Involuntarily. The tiny ones just love houses, where they're safe.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:32 am

...I am an essiencial worker so nothing except added stress has changed. Espessially since the store is not implementing a reasonable limit (current is roughly 1/4 store capacity which is not reasonable...it’s basically no reallimit since we don’t get to that amount) and they dont implement 1 person per cart or 6’rule. Oh and they don’t give us any ppe or hazard pay Yey...

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:03 pm

Sorry to here about it Burns but PPE is getting scare these days...mainly because we've all relied on the place that got hit first usually supplies it.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:50 pm

They can at least make it so fewer customers come in at once (ie 1 person per cart unless nessicary such as single parent, elderly or disabled), and lower the maximum customers (preferably 50 or less than what they currently have in place which is almost 1000)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:56 pm

Thing is, how would you enforce the customer limit? I've seen in small stores a limit of 6, but with those you can see how many people are in there.
My game:

My characters: