Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:54 pm

With the cooking skills of the squad, Lurn creating divine food and Joe being with us to make it taste good would have been a welcome change. Until then, we're stuck with what we can get. :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:30 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:32 amIn order for someone to be able to use revivify on a gentle reposed body, you'd have had to cast it with a second level spell slot, as doing it as a ritual would take longer than the minute window for revivify. That would take it from a 3rd level and 300 gp of diamonds cost up to a 5th level and a single 500 gp diamond to cast raise dead.
... Honestly, I didn't even notice Gentle Repose has a Ritual option. Not like it's that useful, as you explained. :lol:
Rodgeir wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:34 amYou don't have that much in diamonds either way, so it doubly doesn't matter.
True, at this point the only need we'd have for Revivify would be our dead companions, and I doubt we could have convinced the army's wizards to open their coffers for us.
spiderwrangler wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:48 amNext ASI is a long way off, but might need to even out those Con and Cha scores. That'll get another HP per level, improve his Con saves and Max out his spellcasting ability.
A +2 con modifier on a melee combatant did surprise me when you first made Kroshav, but he's proven tanky enough.
Arch Lich Burns wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:14 amDlover, clerics can change their spell list daily so you can change what spells you need for the day. Domain spells stay as part of spells you can cast without prep!
Yeah, those parts I was doing right, it's just that I wasn't adding the domain spells I gained at level 3 to the list.
spiderwrangler wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:54 pmWith the cooking skills of the squad, Lurn creating divine food and Joe being with us to make it taste good would have been a welcome change. Until then, we're stuck with what we can get. :lol:
It was pretty much a tossup between "Is Mass Healing Word useful or do I go for the aesthetic?" So now Lurn can supplement the army's supplies slightly. Very slightly. It's only enough for five people per day. Too bad it doesn't have some Ritual option, with a long cast time. Two hours to make supplies for five would be worth it, especially for a cleric who cares for the poor... Probably why it's not a ritual.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:46 pm

Dlover wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:30 pm A +2 con modifier on a melee combatant did surprise me when you first made Kroshav, but he's proven tanky enough.
Yeah, Pally's are MAD, and starting with a 20 STR and 19 CHA fit my ideas for him more than putting one of those high ones in CON. Then took Sentinel because it seemed like a good fit, but thinking that CON needs a boost next time I can. His high AC helps with the tanking.
Dlover wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:30 pmTwo hours to make supplies for five would be worth it, especially for a cleric who cares for the poor... Probably why it's not a ritual.
Or easy to enslave clerics and force them to make food for your army all day.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:55 pm

Should've just had godly stat rolls like me. :P

Also, enslaving clerics sounds like a fast-track to having the gods destroy your army.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:26 am

Dlover wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:30 pm ... Honestly, I didn't even notice Gentle Repose has a Ritual option. Not like it's that useful, as you explained. :lol:
You see it coming and have 10 minutes to prepare for it?
Dlover wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:30 pmIt was pretty much a tossup between "Is Mass Healing Word useful or do I go for the aesthetic?" So now Lurn can supplement the army's supplies slightly. Very slightly. It's only enough for five people per day. Too bad it doesn't have some Ritual option, with a long cast time. Two hours to make supplies for five would be worth it, especially for a cleric who cares for the poor... Probably why it's not a ritual.
Does the army look like it is in need of supplies? Maybe better cooks.

Enslaving clerics en masse is a great way to get yourself into a holy war!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:51 am

If someone drops and you don't have a diamond on hand, can spend the slot to cast gentle repose and then you have 10 days to try to find enough to be able to cast Revivify.

As a ritual, if you're planning on Raise Dead, but it's going to be longer than 10 days until you can do it (don't have the diamond for it, need to get a body to someone who can cast it, etc), casting gentle repose each week can do it.

The 'can't be raised as undead' part is mostly flavor unless you've got someone running around raising undead, but is kind of cool flavor if grave clerics as part of the burial rites and services they provide includes the people the bury staying buried.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:26 am

It does make sense, flavour-wise, true. But do we really want to add even more time to Lurn's whole thing of burying any corpses they can spare time for? XD
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:08 am

Speaking of tankiness, Lurn remembers he has a ring of shielding on, right? I didn't remind you during the fighting mostly as I had forgotten myself.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:51 pm

I'd forgotten about it myself, but did Lurn even get hit in recent fights? He'd attuned to it before we worked out what it was, so is it possible to unattune and pass it off to somebody who actually gets attacked?
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:07 pm

"A creature’s attunement to an item ends if the creature no longer satisfies the Prerequisites for attunement, if the item has been more than 100 feet away for at least 24 hours, if the creature dies, or if another creature attunes to the item. A creature can also voluntarily end attunement by spending another Short Rest focused on the item, unless the item is Cursed."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:44 pm

Oh, cool, so I can just hand it straight off and the recipient's attunement will end mine, that's cool. So, could Kroshav do with a Shield spell? It seems like Jaq and Lurn are generally out of combat.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:56 pm

Probably, let me look at what it does...

Yeah, that'd totally be a useful item for Kroshav. His high AC doesn't have him getting hit too often though, so might be worth considering if it would be better on an NPC like Jolly... of course, keeping Kroshav up might mean pulling aggro and ending the fight sooner, so...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:07 am

We could give it to Jolly, yeah. Maybe he could do with an occasional AC boost, considering he's the lowest level of everyone. If that's what you'd prefer, so it shall be.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:59 am

Lurn got caught in the fireball and hit by an arrow, if I remember correctly. The fireball wouldn't have been stopped but the arrow could have. The ring is most effective on people that take big hits/have lower hit points, Jolly has been knocked unconscious repeatedly but lately it is the fire damage that's dropped him.

I am actually curious how often in actual use it will recharge. I wanted to make a desirable ring but not an overly powerful one. Been generally trying my hand at making magical items this game. Got to say the standard DM guide items have been more attractive to you though.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:28 am

I know how you feel. No one wanted that poison spear I thought up. :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:56 am

It is tricky making okay and good, but not great, magic stuff.

That spear, which I considered in the making of the shield ring, was just so hard to charge that the effect almost would never come into play. The Celsius sword was good, but it was an easy winner being +1 and granting two good resistances.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:20 am

I think it was less that it would never come into play, and more that it was really fiddly to remember to use and track how it got charges. There's a reason the default 'charge' mechanic is regaining x amount daily.

I don't remember if the version I have in my notes was the 'final form' that I gave you guys, but 2-3 charges on a crit (~5% of attacks), and 1 charge on max dice damage plus the one poison (~12.5% of hits).

I think my reasoning was that the poisoned condition is pretty strong (disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks), and at least the version I have made applying it an auto success (no saves) with no finite duration. Dropping the poisoned condition on a foe with it pretty much takes them out of the fight if they can't cure it.

A simpler design would be that it holds X charges and regains 1dY charges daily. Spend 1 charge to deal an additional 1dZ poison damage and the target makes a DC W Con save or is poisoned until the end of their next turn.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:27 am

The crit charge of 2 was easy enough but the charging from the max on the hit due wasn't right I think? If I remember right it needed a 9 or 10 for the damage roll which, some characters, was possible. I liked the poisoned option but it also required a good number (maybe all?) of charges so you'd need to save up charges for 4-5 battles to have enough.

Totally going from memory now...

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:56 am

Mn, the ring gains a charge when the attuned wearer loses at least 20%hp in one hit from a physical blow, so if you're taking big hits it can help to alleviate them actively. But it can't be charged with elemental damage, etc, so it's just a little fiddly... Actually, depending on how hard that arrow hit Lurn, maybe the ring should be on 4/4 charges, but eh.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:04 am

The spear could either to the dice damage as piercing, or if you opt to add 1 poison damage, it did it all as poison. So anyone who rolls an 8 on the d8 could make it 9. It could store 10, took 5 to poison. So any hit had a 1/8th chance of adding a charge, and if it was a crit it would add two, and a third if your 2d8+1 was better than a 9.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:52 pm

I liked the idea behind it for sure but had a hard time making it the preferred weapon. Dornikal used it to fight the snake abomination and again in the sewers but giving up his shield didn't seem like a good idea in either fight. As it was a d8 with two hands, even with the poison potential, it always felt like a downgrade from a standard versatile weapon with the d8/d10 at the cost of the AC.

I think the arrow did 7 damage so it wouldn't have regained a charge. It is likely a ring that won't scale well with levels, but Kroshav would have gotten a few charges last fight.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:12 pm

Yeah. I saw a house rule on spears that I kind of liked. Since there is a world of difference between a peasant conscript with a sharp stick and an elite force with spear and shield.

They essentially made it so that if you have martial weapon proficiency, then spears are versatile at a 1d8/1d10 to put them more in line with other versatile martial weapons.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:09 am

Sorry for stink shaming Lurn, but someone would have realistically said something. :P

What does Lurn smell like when he needs a wash? For that matter what does Kroshav get to smelling like? The snakes and lizards I have had contact with outside have been generally lacking in any strong odors, except when the snakes released some sort of oily nastiness on my hands that I could never wash off.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:14 am

Honestly Lurn's actually probably really damn clean, otherwise he wouldn't have been allowed to work in the medical tent. Guy covered in two-week-old mud and blood touching wounded people is a bad idea. Or maybe his hands and arms are the only clean parts.

As for what he would smell like... A person who hasn't bathed for that long, but about 50% more, and with a hint of mulched wood.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:35 am

It is questionable where non-magical medical science is. I am not sure if bacteria are a known concern, though the idea that keeping wounds clean of visible muck is around and accepted as a good way of keeping folks alive.

Are Lurn's palms partially hairy?