Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by Dlover » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:54 pm

With hordes of enemies you can tell when you're making progress, and as the fight goes on the enemies wear down as well as the players, which is a lot nicer than a behemoth of "Yeah I may only have 1/10th of my HP left but only one of you is left standing and I'm still at full danger levels."

That said, I've been leaning more toward hordes with Hunters too, but that one's more because whenever I try throwing just a couple of big enemies out they just get slaughtered by the players. So much balancing required. >.>
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:04 pm

I actually run solo monsters like hordes when I can. There's an Angry DM post about it somewhere, but basically, you split the boss into health / action "segments" (which allows for "not my final form" shenanigans) and give it multiple slots in the turn order where it can be a bit more dynamic and also potentially a bit weaker /more manageable.

I don't do it every time, but sometimes it breaks up a slog into something more progressive and fun.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:08 pm

That's pretty much the idea behind the legendary actions that boss monsters get in 5e? Letting them go multiple times a round keeps them from being complete push overs when mobbed by PCs.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:15 pm

Right - it probably is. I don't think I've had a party high enough level to tackle a legendary monster since we played 4e...

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:38 pm

I don't suppose Hobgoblin scale mail would fit a firbolg? XP
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:24 am

Well Lurn is a smallish/thinish firbolg and hobs can get up to 6'6" so I would say yes.

Also you're all level 3! Roll hp (take average if below), add spell slots and ki. Kroshav needs to swear his oath, Ves needs a tradition and Jaq needs an archetype.

Kroshav could potentially swear on the spot having reached an epiphany, but you said you'd like to go back to your mentor. That may take a while to arrange...

Ves I can probably arrange in the woods, still sun soul right?

Jaq...is he looking at the scout archetype by any chance :D?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:08 am

HP roll: 1d8 = [8] = 8
+4 from CON, so a total of +12hp from reaching level 3, bringing him to a cap of 33.
... Lurn is so damn tanky, it's great.

Nothing much else special at the moment. An extra level 1 spell slot, two level 2 spell slots, so he can use those now, and one more spell can be prepared, but we'll have to actually finish our long rest before I get anything prepared.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:39 am

Holy shit yes! Now she can fly >:) (for like 1 minute a day, but woop!)

HP roll: 1d8 = [4] = 4

Guess I'll take the average (5) instead, +1 CON.

PS yes, she's going sun soul.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:38 am

1d10 = [5] = 5

So average of 6 + 2 Con brings him to 28.

Yeah, he needs to return to his mentor/order to take his oath. Until then he's still 'working towards becoming a paladin'.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:33 am

Hp [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4

The average on d6 is 3 right? Or is it 4? I forget.

Anyways the two new spells I am not sure. I want to know what dragon's breath and mind spike does but dnd doesn't show it for me.

Hmm. Spider climb and Levitate sounds fun. shatter and magic weapon might be useful. Misty step can get me out of tight spots...

Ah...so hard to decide. What are your thoughts guys?

Also is Jolly wearing any armour?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:41 am

Round up for hp so it's 4

EDIT: so Level 3 is a particularly big jump for Ves it seems. Her Aasimar powers AND a bunch of monk stuff kick in at once, making her a little ball of flying radiant damage and missile-avoidance. I sort of OOC knew this was coming (but also forgot half of it), but Ves is in for quite a surprise IC :lol: I'll be interested to see what happens with Kroshav as he levels up too. Ves feels like the chaotic equivalent to his more focused paladin path (like sorceror/warlock vs. wizard).

PS She also has innate healing abilities (Level-equivalent HP per day), but since she's IC mostly unaware of her heritage and we have more reliable healing available in Lurn & Kroshav, I've been waiting for a dramatic moment for those abilities to show up.

Prot. Aasimar: Radiant Soul.
► Show Spoiler
Regular Monk Stuff:
► Show Spoiler
Way of the Sun Soul:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:16 am

Yes, I'm sending Jaq the path of Scout. I guess City Elf is quickly becoming Nature Elf. Didn't originally plan this for him, but it makes sense, especially if he is planning on travelling about like he is now.
Level 3 HP, 1d8 = [4] = 4 so, that'll be a 5HP. and 3rd give him 2d6 on sneak attack

Scout gives him, Skirmisher
Starting at 3rd level, you are difficult to pin down during a fight. You can move up to half your speed as a reaction when an enemy ends its turn within 5 feet of you. This movement doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks.
Survivalist
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in the Nature and Survival skills if you don't already have it. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of those proficiencies.

Can someone please update the HP and skills on the OOC page 1 Character stats for me? that would give Jaq Expertise (+4) to what Jaq has on Nature and Survival checks. Thank You.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:26 am

Here you go, Burns

Dragon's Breath and mind spike spells
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:09 pm

Kroshav gets HP, an extra spell slot, and immunity to disease. His Oath stuff (Channel Divinity and Oath Spells) will have to wait.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:08 pm

I will update everything tomorrow, as best I can!

@Burns it'd be 4+con and Jolly has leather armor he scavenged off the first bandits along with the sword. He could wear the scalemail instead but he doesn't know the difference and it is certainly heavier!

@NSF great! Jaq has been working towards his scout proficiencies with Ves and he certainly has been hard to pin down in a fight.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:04 pm

Hmm okay I think shatter would be very helpful in many situations, wither it's destroying a wall or doing some decent damage. A utility and offensive spell if needed.

As for the other spell....I'm thinking either levitate/spider climb or magic weapon/dragon's breath. I think spiderclimb or levitate would work with Joe more, to easier explore ruins. Now the deciding on which one to get. Spiderclimb lasts a lot longer and can make one move as fast as the character. Levitate is 20' no matter what but has a nice side ability to prevent death from it being dispelled from so high. Both have ways to avoid and/or get out of similar traps. ....I'll go with spider climb since it lasts a lot longer.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:54 pm

Brief look at the 2nd level cleric spells and there are some nice ones. Hold Person with a 15DC could paralyse a target for a couple of turns, Prayer Of Healing would be good for recovering everyone after a battle, Spiritual Weapon gets a potential 1d8+5 damage each round for a bonus action... Second level spells on a cleric are actually pretty good... But now I have to work out what books these are actually from so that I'm not looking at an Unearthed Arcana spell. XD

Okay neat, they're all PHB. That's three pretty nice spells to choose from.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:03 pm

Spider Climb does what it does very well, and for longer, but since you didn't mention it, Levitate does have a few other wrinkles that make it somewhat more versatile (but still time limited).

• Can be used to levitate an object, or unwilling creature (pending save), not just a willing creature.
• The first line "up to 20 feet" is only in reference to when you cast it, you can still move target 20 ft each turn, as long as you aren't more than 60ft from the target. If you ARE the target, that would mean you can make it 2,000 ft in the air by the end of your 10 minutes, then float gently back to earth.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:23 pm

Decided. Once our Long Rest ends, I'll prepare Spiritual Weapon and replace Shield Of Faith with Prayer of Healing.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:09 am

Spiritual weapon is great!

@Everyone stats have been updated (if not already done). I am not sure how you are keeping track of spell slots so I haven't added anything there.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:14 am

Thank you! I'm excited to see how this all unfolds :D

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:23 am

Rodgeir wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:09 am Spiritual weapon is great!

@Everyone stats have been updated (if not already done). I am not sure how you are keeping track of spell slots so I haven't added anything there.
Uhhh i hope you didn't alter joe's hp because I already did.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:32 am

Nope, saw that you were in doing that.

Update shortly in thread.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:40 pm

Psh, going over D&D stuff and realising... Next level I could take Lurn's passive perception up to 22, with the Observant feat. Truly see everything. Though I won't actually do that, I'd rather bump up Strength and Dex a point to get the two of them to even values.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:21 pm

Yeah, probably better stuff especially since you won't benefit from the 1/2 ASI boost to WIS from Observant.

There are a few feats of interest, but first ASI for Kroshav is likely split between CON and CHA. Might help him catch up to Lurn's HP. :D
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler