Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:05 pm

Ok, so I don't really like the super advantage, so I'm not arguing for that, but what I thought you meant was:

I have disadvantage, so I roll twice and take the lower (as usual), got a 1 in this case and a 17. We throw away the 17 and keep the 1. If I want to use luck, I thought you were suggesting that I roll one more time, and try to beat the 1 using only the new roll. Is that right? Or did you mean something else?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:20 am

No, you were right in your initial assessment and I made it confusing. I took the 1 to be the lower of your two rolls (from coyote formatting) and then the 17 as your luck roll. I see now that the 17 and 1 were your disadvantage rolls. Since you already got the information we will just do it 'right' going forward.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:11 pm

Yay! Kroshav didn't just spend the battle running through fog to no purpose!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:29 pm

Woo! :Dance:

Is the rest of Kroshav's group doing anything? Forgot to ask.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:47 pm

Those casters killed too many soldiers, Jaq is a mission to end at least one of them.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:11 pm

And here we see the value of Command in action.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:35 am

Flanking image clarification, but remember no advantage!
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:19 am

This may be something I should have brought up earlier on NPCs and death saves. Per the rules, normally when you strike down an NPC they are dead, no saving throws. This seemed a bit harsh to have Jolly die so abruptly and I modified the rules in this game to give saving throws to named NPCs, both friendly and not.

Caster hob #2 was unfortunately not named, nor were Random Soldiers 1-60 that got toasted. Triss, the vampire, could have been an enemy and would also gotten death saving throws...despite being pretty dead already. All of the party members on your teams are named and get rolls, and I assure you that there are named enemy NPCs.

Dlover, your action was made without this knowledge and as a result I will let you modify it if you'd like. Or you can choose to keep it the same because all of this might be too meta?

Oh, and I did roll to see if the two would actually be able to kill her by hitting her. It was possible that they could have both missed despite the advantage. One missed but the other connected, just barely.
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:41 am

Ah, so coup-de-grace is different for NPCs. Yeah, I didn't realise it's different for NPCs, especially when think Jolly had done non-lethal damage since he'd used the flat of his blade, was aiming for the whole thing of attacks on a downed target granting a failed death save. Anyway, no change, since it doesn't change my actions...

Though maybe knowing there was no saving the hob would have changed the interpretation of "restrain them" from 'don't let them kill her" to "Don't kill them." But eh.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:41 am

Oh, and the reason that Gisper didn't make it was because he'd already been through a fireball and wasn't in great shape to begin with. Had he made his dex save it wouldn't have been an insta kill though. Farewall Gisper, we hardly knew ya.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:34 am

A few reminders:

You have those spell scrolls you found in the basement of the temple of Pelor. I think that Lurn has these?

The map that you found on the Fancy Bandit is west of Timmer (where Joe and Ves are heading). Joe has this map.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:58 am

I don't think Lurn ever even went into that basement, feels kind of strange that he'd have been given scrolls from there when they don't relate to his god?
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:08 am

I think Joe has those scrolls.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:18 am

They were spell scrolls, one was a daylight spell and one was mark with an HW. Joe couldn't read either but Lurn could read the daylight spell. It was last in his possession but it was Joe that found them.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:07 pm

Yeah, looking over it, seems like Kroshav helped to identify them, but we hadn't specified who kept them, so it would've been Joe.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:11 pm

Wait... I identified something?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:27 pm

Sort of. Back at the Pelor temple, Kroshav had a look at a scroll and just sort of knew that it was a Daylight spell scroll.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:39 pm

Knowledge gifted from the gods...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:40 pm

XD
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:04 am

Well since it is from the paladin spell list you're 100% right!

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:09 am

For the running I am basing it on my own person experience running at around the pace the group is on a summer day and then trying to think how fun that would be with armor, packs and weapons.

On the plus side the same goes for the hobs!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:40 pm

Hooh boy, One character in six managed a DC12, that's just impressive. XD
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:06 am

Some bad luck there for sure.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:20 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:41 am ((Since you're making a ranged spell attack, I believe you would use your spell attack modifier of +7 (WIS + Proficiency) if you throw it, while someone else only uses your spellcasting ability modifier. If they are proficient with a sling, and use that, they should be able to add their Proficiencymodifier, though that isn't as clear rules wise. Yes, at this level a damage range of 6-11 (avg 8.5) beats 1-8 or 1-12, but next level your Toll will scale to 2d8 (range of 2-16, avg 9, 84% probably to do at least 6) or 2d12 (range of 2-24, avg 13, 93% probability to do at least 6). Of course, MS stays good if you can get a some friends to help toss stones for a better attack than they can do otherwise.))
Hm, hadn't considered that. I remembered it using the phrase "Your spellcasting ability modifier," and didn't really register that it does say "spell attack." ... Actually, being that it's just a ranged spell attack, is there a reason that other people wouldn't add their proficiency by default? Is there something I haven't seen where caster classes get some sort of proficiency with magic?
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:42 pm

It would still be a ranged spell attack that they are making, but perhaps not considered proficient since it's not their spell. Any other side cases (someone who can cast it, but is using your stone) would be up to DM interpretation.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler