Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:51 pm

Just noticed we've passed the wandering archipelago for number of posts. That is where my DnDing got its start :shock: .

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:32 pm

Congrats! Hope Thinks it's able to pick that up again someday. Korrik is a good boy.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:49 pm

And Varsk is a very bad boy...

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:38 am

I dropped Jaq's loot onto the loot table in the sheet. I also moved the gold and platinum to his inventory.

I also marked the ring he attuned. He now has two attuned items.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:42 am

Okay, everyone in the army crew is getting a level so start considering what you want to do and let me know. Jolly is included in this and will going to fighter level 3 and I am open to suggestions on his direction, though I do have some ideas already.

Thinks and Burns - no level yet for you two yet, sorry.

I have also updated the loot page and a few of the player pages on the Sheet.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:55 am

Kroshav will level to 5th in Paladin, gets him extra attack and 2nd level spells!

((There wasn't any formal oath taking, but can I assume that his level 3 stuff I'd deferred is now on line, or do I need to wait a year for Torm's approval?))

For Jolly, champion is the easiest to run as a DM where you're already running everyone else. Not as interesting as some if the other options, but doubling crit chance isn't anything to sneeze at!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:14 am

Kroshav's oath is provisionally in place so he is at full Paladin Power. In a year the final oath will need to be sworn to each of the gods, but as far as the other four are concerned Kroshav's actions and devotion have sworn the oath better than any words.

Honestly, the other fighters weren't that hard to manage. Had a champion, two samurai and a battlemaster and it was okay. The rangers were harder. I don't even want to try and manage more than monster spellcasters in real combat.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:00 am

Jaq is staying straight Rogue.
5th Will boost sneak attack nicely.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:52 am

It’s fine, Joe has not been doing a lot of fighting.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:04 am

You get xp for more than fighting, just you and Ves have been moving a bit slower.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:25 am

Yeah, Galt is samurai, and Tren is cavalier, neither of which are too bad. Battle master can get a bit fiddly, remembering to use the superiority die, but not as much as EK.

As poor a rider as Jolly's been, him going all in or cavalier would be amusing, but probably not in keeping with his character.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:28 am

Has Jolly seen enough magic being done, or harming him, that he is interested in becoming an eldritch knight and flinging some of his own spells? Does he have the stats to do that?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:40 am

He would struggle as a caster. His intelligence is a 10.

His full set is 15,13,14,10,11,11. It was not my best roll for stats.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:43 am

Does he take a 4th in fighter to get ASI for Dex and Wis before multiclassing into monk to get drunken master? ;)

Also important to note that we'll get a boost to proficiency bonus at Level 5 as well.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:47 am

Well, he was a high functioning alcoholic before. It'd be a logical progression.

I will check everything once it's all decided but you three can roll for HP here now.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:52 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:04 am

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:10 am

That's what you're looking for there NSF!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:08 am

I'll be sticking to Cleric, will check what that entails in a bit. First day back at uni today, and it's been a long day.
Level 5 HP: 1D8+4 = [1]+4 = 5
That's an ouch right there.

Edit: Hey guys, guess what I just realised. Domain spells are listed by what you learn when your cleric level hits the associated level. I thought that was listed by what spell level you need to be able to cast. `>.> And guess what spell that would have included all the way back at level 3? Gentle Repose. Okay, look, Lurn's dumb, he didn't realise he can preserve corpses for others to maybe resurrect later.

Edit 2: And guess what domain spell is gained at level 5? Revivify... Look, nobody tell the NPCs that Lurn could 100% have preserved various important corpses (Like the hob caster that was initially captured and killed, or allies who died other than the ones the wyverns chased us away from), and now revived them. :paranoia:

Edit 3: While looking at 3rd level spells, since I can have those now, I learned something horrifying. At level 17 I gain a 9th level spell slot, and with it can cast Bestow Curse (Base level 3, which is why I saw this) until it's dispelled and without concentration. It would take 6-7 days to ruin a person's life if they can't afford a Remove Curse. Disadvantage on Wisdom to start, then either the rest of the abilities or use the second day for disadvantage on attacks against the caster so that they can't fight back as well.

Edit 4: For the new spell I can prepare, I'm taking Create Food And Water. And everyone remember that you get an extra point in your Proficiency when you reach level 5. Which means Lurn's spells are now a 16 to save. >:D
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:13 am

Dlover, you get the average on the HP.

Also, I won't tell the NPCs if you don't!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:36 am

Forgot about that. That nets me a nice extra 4... Man, a cleric with high con gets a LOT of health. Is Lurn still the toughest party member? Kroshav maybe ties if Spider hasn't added the hp... Almost makes things like Life Transference worthwhile, but when am I ever going to want to heal 8-64 at the cost of losing 4-32? I mean, there's so much variance to it, and it basically kills the cleric to provide that healing. Plus it doesn't work with the Grave Domain thing, since the roll is for damage on yourself. Could never need something like that, right? :paranoia:

I can actually see Life Transference as being useful, but only in extremely specific cases, like "This ancient dragon has been beat up by some powerful enemy, if we heal it a bunch it may help us!" Not so good when the max in our party is 48.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:32 am

Dlover wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:08 am
Edit: Hey guys, guess what I just realised. Domain spells are listed by what you learn when your cleric level hits the associated level. I thought that was listed by what spell level you need to be able to cast. `>.> And guess what spell that would have included all the way back at level 3? Gentle Repose. Okay, look, Lurn's dumb, he didn't realise he can preserve corpses for others to maybe resurrect later.

Edit 2: And guess what domain spell is gained at level 5? Revivify... Look, nobody tell the NPCs that Lurn could 100% have preserved various important corpses (Like the hob caster that was initially captured and killed, or allies who died other than the ones the wyverns chased us away from), and now revived them. :paranoia:

Eh, I think you're fine.

Neither Lurn nor you knew you'd be getting access to level 3 spells within 10 days, so would have only been using gentle repose in the hopes that an NPC cleric can bring them back.

In order for someone to be able to use revivify on a gentle reposed body, you'd have had to cast it with a second level spell slot, as doing it as a ritual would take longer than the minute window for revivify. That would take it from a 3rd level and 300 gp of diamonds cost up to a 5th level and a single 500 gp diamond to cast raise dead.

If Lurn had burnt a 2nd level spell on a gamble that we could bring someone back, it might have meant someone else dying later that wasn't able to be saved by his healing.

Of course, if there are any high ranking folks with rich family, he could repose them as a ritual so they can be transported back home without stinking, and include an invoice payable to the Temple of Kelemvor.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:34 am

It is definitely a situational ability!

I haven't updated anything for the level up on the sheet, it is entirely possible Lurn is at or near Kroshav's hp!

You don't have that much in diamonds either way, so it doubly doesn't matter.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:48 am

Lurn had been ahead of Kroshav when I joined, I think, but I had a few good rolls i think and caught up a bit. We both have a Max roll of 12 on different die, but since we take average if below, Lurn gets minimum 9 to Kroshav's minimum 8.

Next ASI is a long way off, but might need to even out those Con and Cha scores. That'll get another HP per level, improve his Con saves and Max out his spellcasting ability.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:14 am

Dlover, clerics can change their spell list daily so you can change what spells you need for the day. Domain spells stay as part of spells you can cast without prep!