Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by Rodgeir » Thu May 23, 2019 1:31 pm

As an aside, and I maybe already mentioned it, I normally like to mildly punish rolling 1's on attacks. For instance when the skeleton's bow string broke or crossbow jammed costing them a combat turn. I was about to do that to Jaq when I realized that the giant skeleton had also rolled a 1 (which I missed thinking the bane had caused it) and gotten off without something fun happening.

I am going to call this a wash, but just so you know it is a possibility!

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri May 24, 2019 6:42 am

Got it, Jaq just got lucky this time.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat May 25, 2019 3:27 am

So I've just properly read up on Kelemvor, and everything I was thinking lines up so accurately with his dogma. Pretty much everything matches, down to the insistence of holding last rites for those who die in the presence of one of his clerics. The one thing I saw was that maybe there should be more preventing unnecessary death, which would mean trying to spare our enemies, but eh, magic doesn't have nonlethal damage.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat May 25, 2019 5:51 am

Well... If they are working against chosen individuals such as us, and die as a result, surely it was their time to pass. And if they are of a violent sort, it's only a matter of time before they hurt someone else. So by ensuring they die (and stay dead) when they cross our path, we are really preserving the lives of their future victims, should we have allowed them to live...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat May 25, 2019 7:36 am

Sound logic. Net reduction in the number of deaths is a good thing.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat May 25, 2019 10:26 am

Unless you are doing something that is very clearly opposed to what I found in a quick Google search of Kelemvor you have free reign with the interpretations of the nitty gritty dogma. So whether or not Kelemvor can forgive not putting a stone on a grave is up to you. Raise someone from the dead? Well Kelemvor will likely be more...vocal in his displeasure.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat May 25, 2019 5:32 pm

Well, unless they're being raised with a resurrection-type spell. Though those only work on the recently dead anyway. :p
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat May 25, 2019 8:51 pm

And if Kevin allows them to return, there must be a very good reason.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun May 26, 2019 12:32 am

Truly, Kev is all knowing and wise.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun May 26, 2019 2:47 am

Kevin just says everyone should come back. Kelemvor hates him. And by proxy, all people named Kevin.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 29, 2019 12:52 pm

Got to say this fight changed my opinion on the effectiveness of bane!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 29, 2019 1:07 pm

There are certainly a few things that make Bane work really well (though, granted neither would have hit this past turn even without Bane):

- Casting it from the back row, being forced to make checks to keep it up lowers its life span
- Particularly effective against creatures with multiple attacks, just like Bless is particularly good when placed on allies with multiple attacks.

If I hadn't burned both slots, probably would have paid off to bring out Bless for Ves and Kroshav at least. Kind of frustrating to have missed a few times, even with his +7 to hit. Though once I get the ability to do Sacred Weapon, that gets bumped to a +11 to hit for 1 minute.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 29, 2019 2:46 pm

Bless I am a fan of and used it a couple times but never been in a situation where bane felt worth it. Probably can do the math on the +hit and number of attacks to figure exactly when it is worth it but where's the fun in that.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 29, 2019 3:32 pm

If you can drop Bless on three allies who are going to be attacking a lot, or if the enemy is forcing saving throws, Bless is great. It would totally be handy here, but I burned my slots early.

If you can get Bane on multiple enemies, and/or some of them are multi attacking, and the party is using spells/abilities that force the enemies to make saves, then Bane is pretty good (as long as they aren't really charismatic).

Slapping both down from two different casters is even better!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed May 29, 2019 7:16 pm

Aye, I've never thought either Bless or Bane would be particularly good spells, but after seeing this fight I realised the potential Bane (And thus, in other situations, Bless) can have. You've just got to use them in the right situation.

For example, if I wasn't already using Concentration then Bless would, in addition to helping with Ves and Kroshav attack, increase Jaq's odds of making the saves.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:03 pm

It's not considered prone, I'm assuming?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:08 pm

No, it is still taller than Kroshav sitting.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:55 am

Getting a plane back to the states today so will have limited access to the forums. If ves gets back up, she'll keep fighting as long as the others do - in at the front, trying to keep Jolly and Joe safe particularly.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:23 am

Fly safe!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:24 am

thinkslogically wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:48 am ((not to make everything worse for myself, but ves should probably also take 1 or 2d6 falling damage... I don't think it'll kill her outright either way, but still.))
It'd be taking damage after hitting 0HP, but wouldn't be enough to meet or exceed your max HP, so would give you one failure on your death saves. Since Lurn is popping you back up, should have no effect on the end.

"If an Unconscious character takes damage while at 0 HP, they automatically fail one death saving throw, or 2 death saves if the damage is from a critical hit. Massive Damage can still outright kill the character so damage should still be rolled and if it equals or exceeds their max HP then they die (PHB pg.197)."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:33 am

Agreed, the 1d6 wouldn't kill her outright so doesn't need to be rolled but she would have one fail on the books. Lurn is already healed her so it's academic.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:39 am

If her turn came up before his, could have been bad! Nat 1 = dead Ves...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:19 am

Well NSF tried that with Jaq, the pool gave him an auto death fail as well and NSF rolled a 2. Cutting it close!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:23 pm

Nobody is allowed to die with Lurn around.
Well, I mean, now I'm out of actions, but I can also Spare The Dying to stabilise anyone at long range for a bonus action, sooo... Just don't take damage and you'll be fine.
(I'd forgotten about that, should have used it on Jaq really.)

... Actually how does taking damage after being Stabilised work? I'm guessing it still gives the failed save, but do you start having to make saves again?
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:41 pm

Yes, the bit I quoted earlier:
► Show Spoiler
...makes no distinction between stable and unstable unconscious characters, so they would take the 1 or 2 failed saves, and then no longer be stable, and would have to start making throws again.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler