Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat May 18, 2019 6:08 am

The casting limitation is only if you expend a spell slot to cast it that turn, you can't expend two spell slots to cast spells in a single turn.

So if you do cast a leveled spell, you can still cast a cantrip, provided that one is an action and one is a bonus action. Part of what makes Healing Word good, along with its range, despite healing less HP than Cure Wounds... You can still get out a heal while keeping up pressure via cantrip damage if needed.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat May 18, 2019 5:00 pm

So, I can be healing Joe next round. The question is, how much do we want to heal her? 9 for a level 1 slot or 13 for a level 2 slot? So long as the skeleton beside her is taken out she should really only need the 9, right?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat May 18, 2019 5:22 pm

I'd say 1st level for now, I don't feel like upgrading HW is a strong as upgrading CW. HW's main benefit is that it's a bit of spot heal that you can do at range and as a bonus action, spending higher level slot to get another 1d4 (yes, max in this case for you) doesn't seem worth it when it could be 21 HP later.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat May 18, 2019 8:42 pm

Yeah, I usually go for healing a little, often unless you're facing a really heavy hitter and want to have a bit more insurance against a one-shot kill.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat May 18, 2019 10:46 pm

Makes sense. Why spend healing that won't be needed, after all?
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 22, 2019 4:52 am

Is Ves aware of how effective her punching and thwaping of skellies is to be able to communicate that? From a meta perspective, getting Kroshav a bludgeoning weapon for these skells would be a good thing, but not sure if he picked up on her punching the crap out of them? He's good at the fighting, but not sure if he would put that together?

Using his warpick for 1d8+7 has range of 8-15, and a 50% chance of doing as much damage as he'd do by just punching them for 6 x 2 = 12. But even a club of some sort would give him 1d4+7, with a damage range of 16-22.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 22, 2019 5:45 am

It's hard to say how much Kroshav would have been able to put together about Ves' hits being more effective as the skeletons have all had different HP and he has landed a few big hits himself. I would say he probably has seen she is doing as much, or more, damage with her staff as he is with is pick but that her punches seem to be unusually effective. More or less the same for Ves, she doesn't know how strong a skeleton should be but her punching/kicking is doing more damage than she'd expect.

There isn't much in the way of clubs around to grab unless he wants to use some bones. They don't look very sturdy.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 22, 2019 5:53 am

Always more where they came from!

I suppose a rock would do about the same as an improvised weapon, just would lose proficiency bonus to attack, but putting away his warpick to use a rock isn't something he's going to do without someone tell him he should.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 22, 2019 6:01 am

Hell I didn't even notice haha! Pointy and sharp things might slide between bones and it might be obvious that breaking bones is the way to go? Kroshav would probably be able to know that much. Maybe...

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 22, 2019 6:13 am

Well, give me an intelligence roll for Kroshav. He needs to be a 12 to put it together!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 22, 2019 6:50 am

If you want to say no, you can just say no. ;) Don't need to rub it in by making me roll INT.

1d20-2 = [10] = 8
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 22, 2019 8:32 am

I really wanted to say yes but I feel like that would be a very big jump in understanding for ol' Kroshav.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed May 22, 2019 10:18 am

Ok, so Jaq is around the corner, out of the skeleton's sight.
If it does not move so it can see him, and next turn Jaq pops out and fires at it, does he get advantage, or does that only work if he actively used stealth to hide?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 22, 2019 10:28 am

Rodgeir wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:32 am I really wanted to say yes but I feel like that would be a very big jump in understanding for ol' Kroshav.
Most things are. :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 22, 2019 12:38 pm

@NSF, as I understand Jaq's movement he would have been clearly visible to the skeleton as he moved to where he isn't currently visible? If that is the case there isn't any advantage, it knows Jaq is there since you didn't hide/weren't sneaky.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed May 22, 2019 11:06 pm

Spider, you need a bashy weapon for Kroshav? Lurn can toss his mace over, since he literally doesn't use the thing. XD
Still have a bonus action free, too, can potentially use that to toss it over?
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu May 23, 2019 3:54 am

Meta, yes, bashy would be good, at least vs the little skels, might not hold against the big one, but Kroshav doesn't know that... So unless that's a bit of wisdom that Kevin tells his clerics...?

Eh, Rodgeir? ;)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu May 23, 2019 4:06 am

I would say that Kevin would absolutely share the best ways to get rid of undead as it is his thing and that particular bit of information being pretty easy to remember for Lurn.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 23, 2019 4:13 am

So, knowing that, would a bonus action, being all I had left at the end of my turn, be enough for Lurn to throw his mace to Kroshav? Not sure if that would be a bonus or an action or... Anything, really. For all I know it would be an action and catching a reaction.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu May 23, 2019 4:46 am

At the distance Lurn is from Kroshav I would rule it would take an action to throw and reaction to catch. Not going to make you roll to see if Lurn is a good throw since there is nobody and nothing in the way. If there were obstructions, things making it more difficult both the throwing and catching would require some kind of roll...probably dex.

BUT if you were side by side it would be a free action. So next turn?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 23, 2019 4:51 am

Next turn, then, regardless. Bane is an action, and I want to get that boss debuffed.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu May 23, 2019 5:36 am

Kroshav has +0 to Dex, so if you had been trying to get it to him his turn, you're probably better off just hitting him with it and letting him pick it next turn than relying on him to catch it only to see him fumble it into the pool...

Hmmm... Kroshav also brought his forging hammer with him, its not something statted up, but would he be able to use that as something better than an improvised weapon?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu May 23, 2019 5:48 am

I would say yes, same stats as a light hammer (except for being throwable) and you have proficiency with it. That is, again, if Lurn explains it to you :). I figure he has half a second worth of talk time left, should be plenty. :P
Last edited by Rodgeir on Thu May 23, 2019 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu May 23, 2019 5:57 am

Alright, sounds good to me! If Lurn lets him know, then he can keep his distance from the big skel rather than coming up to hand off his mace.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 23, 2019 6:08 am

Okay, cool then, I was going to toss the explanation out when throwing the mace, but this works too.
My game:

My characters: