Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by Dlover » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:11 pm

Hm... So I'm guessing that would mean you don't apply proficiency to a spell attack provided by a magic item? Say if a staff can cast... Some sort of spell attack. Fire Blast, I guess, since it's the only one I can think of off the top of my head that would actually involve an attack roll.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:38 pm

Fire Bolt? It would all be in the wording of the item, I think.

Some of the Save DC ones specify the DC to be used, but others may allow you to cast spells using your spell Save DC and spellcasting modifier.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:54 pm

Hm, so I guess cases where the modifiers aren't determined by the attacks, like Magic Stone, you'd not apply Proficiency, probably because it's basically all being done for you, and things that use your own modifiers can include proficiency.

... If it sounds like I have somewhere I'm going with this, I don't. It's just a mechanic I want to understand as best I can.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:42 am

I think that it probably holds up that you only apply proficiency if your modifiers are being used. It's a fairly unusual spell, I can't think of another in the game with the same sort of mechanic off the top of my head.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:04 am

Sorry about being absent here and somewhat lacking in maps in the main thread. I was at a conference Thursday and Friday and got back today. Going to do the same next week.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:50 am

You're doing way more than I've managed in my game recently!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:45 am

Okay, this week is not going to be good for me doing much in the way of updating. My amount of preparation for the coming conference has went from very little to very much. Apologies.

At this point if you are done in Timmer Burns I will assume that Thinks is as well and you can begin heading west. Were you going to check out that map you got off the Fancy Bandit?

Army group, I know it is difficult to plan without a map but you've got around four turns to do whatever you'd like something. Jaq's target is getting pretty far away now and has three quarters cover. Is Jaq going to continue to try and drop the hob? Everyone else can just give me an idea of what they'd like to do while they wait.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:58 am

Hard to say in my case, and not really for the lack of a map. I guess Lurn will just spend the time getting a bit behind the frontline fighters and gathering rocks.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:35 am

Kroshav took a bit of damage, besides Celus, anyone poorly off? I've got a bit of Lay on Hands remaining, and 1 spell slot I've been saving in case I need to Divine Smite anyone.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:40 am

Ah, if Kroshav's hurt, how badly (And same for others)? Still have my two first level spell slots for healing, and this is a good chance for Cure Wounds.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:44 am

Did you give any heals before we took off from where they attacked the summoning circle.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:00 am

Don't believe so. At that stage it was Kroshav and Celus hurt, right? With Celus having used his Second Wind to recover. So Kroshav could be fairly hurt?

Then again, should consider whether Lurn should ever be healing a conscious target. It won't take action economy right now, but it's 6-13 healing from Cure Wounds right now versus a flat 9 from Healing Word on a downed target.
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:01 am

Jaq will take one last shot at the fleeing gob and then return back towards the others.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:00 am

The Google sheets HP is correct except it doesn't show Kroshav's temp hp from the crit with his sword (7 hp? I just added it). Only Celus and Kroshav in your group were hurt from before and Celus was the only to take some damage in the last fight.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:30 am

I lost track along the way, had the temp, but then got hit this fight... for 8 I think?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:37 am

Ah, yep the AoO. Missed updating for that one. So you would be at 29 now.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Okay, so Kroshav's down 11. Do you want healing, Spider? It'll be 6-13HP that you gain.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:40 pm

I'd forgotten about the temporary he had, so I'm doing better than I thought. Think I'm ok for now.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:08 pm

In addition to the Fancy Bandit map, Joe also has that statue thing that summons the library golem.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:11 am

Apologies for killing the mage after all that. The two hobs had pretty subpar sneak rolls but no one except Arbelm managed to roll above a 6 on their perceptions.

@Burns, feel free to act without Ves for a bit.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:18 am

I bring this up to let you think about if this could work.

Jaq only trances for 4 hours a night. So the next time he sleeps, if he has a bad night and gets another level of exhaustion, can he right away trance again for the rest of the night and try again to get rid of the exhaustion?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:26 am

Unfortunately not, per RAW:

...A character can’t benefit from more than one long rest in a 24-hour period...

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:27 pm

Isn't it impossible for Lurn to roll less than an 8 on perception? ((I get that you're talking about the natural roll, not the result.))
Honestly, we knew they were following us, so it's on me here. I even noted that we should keep them from attacking the mage. If I'd had Lurn focus on carrying the mage so it couldn't be attacked, his bulk probably would have been enough for full cover.
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:58 pm

Ok, thought there might be something, but I wasn't sure....had to ask.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:18 am

Yep, Lurn can't get less than an 8 for active perception checks.

My RL players have had a tendency to try and long rest after every fight so I am very familiar with that rule.