Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:04 pm

That's problematic. So basically after three hits an unconscious character is dead, no matter what. Important information to know.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:31 pm

Yes, though it is usually only a very smart or very dumb enemy that keeps hitting once you go down.

Only takes 1 hit and a failed save of the hit comes from 5ft away, auto-crit.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:06 pm

Huh, how's that work? Only thing I can think of is melee attack on a prone target, but I thought that only gave Advantage, not a guaranteed crit.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:21 am

Attack rolls against an Unconscious character have advantage and any attack that hits the character is a Critical Hit if the attacker is within 5 feet of the character (Unconscious condition, PHB pg.292).

Getting hit while you're unconscious is bad news.

A ghoul is an example of something that would keep attacking while you were dying, cus they are literally trying to eat you.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:37 am

Yeah, usually things savvy enough to know about healing and are willing to give up an attack or two against a more threatening opponent to finish the job, or things too motivated by hunger or rage to tactically apply attacks to those that are still up. *Most* of the time it makes more sense to go after the remaining party members.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:09 am

Mn, I imagine fairly often the attack will be wasted by healing bringing the target back before the spent attack can finish the target off.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:23 am

Possibly, but that's part of why I feel its enemies at the tails of the tactical bellcurve that are most likely to do so.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:28 am

Dlover wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:09 am Mn, I imagine fairly often the attack will be wasted by healing bringing the target back before the spent attack can finish the target off.
All you need is one failed death save (from post-KO damage) and a coup de grace is immediately lethal. Anyone with a multi-attack ability will be immediately lethal if they focus on the KO'd target, or if there's a team with tactics to take out the downed enemies.

Like spider says, it's probably best limited to specific cases to avoid having the monsters gaming the rules, but if enemies are smart enough to know healing magic exists, then coup de graces become a pretty important strategy option. It's the same strategy you'd use for fighting anything that doesn't want to stay dead I guess :lol:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:36 pm

Did Joe recover 2 slots worth of spells?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:55 pm

Two level ones or one level two. Unless Burns doesn't want that. Probably good if you tell me which Burns!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:55 am

One lv 2 please, I may have forgotten I could do that! So I have 1 lv 1 and one lv 2 spell

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:36 am

Noted, should have reminded you before Spider reminded me.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:08 am

I was kind of reminding Burns too, since I didn't remember it being said. :D

There isn't a second floor, is there? There are a couple broken stairways that look like they once went up there, but am I right in thinking that it is all open ruins at this point, with just the ground floor and whatever may be below?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:33 am

Yep, there was definitely at least one more floor to the ruins but everything above the ground floor is gone. What's left below...who knows?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:45 am

Was the shot made while Lurn's Detect Magic was still up?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:08 am

Yep, but at the base of the stairs the mace and the magic funnel are out of range. No undead started moving in there either, as those would be in range.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:25 pm

Oh, I should have looked here before asking in the IC if it was still active. XD
My game:

My characters:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:54 am

Okay, to OOC maybe it would be wiser to wait and see if we all agree on trying to pick up the mace. OOC maybe it's not the smartest idea to have our healer be the one to pick it up, even if he's out of spells at the current moment. IC though, if there's something Lurn can do to shut down this pool that makes a mockery of his god, he's going to do it, and he's not going to have somebody else do it for him.
After all, if we were just talking OOC reasoning we'd have Jolly do it. Even if the thing's cursed we lose minimal power and if he gets possessed the big bad takes over a rather pathetic fighter.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:18 am

Not sure why you are doing it by hand. No direct contact is the bast. If only she had mage hand or unseen servant she’d take care of it,

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:21 am

I posted right as you did Burns. Also Joe would have been at the top of the stairs...

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:26 am

Look, Lurn isn't the smartest of people. :p
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:02 am

He's dedicated to his cause though, got to give him that! Good luck to you :lol:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:04 am

Next time there's a necro-bone to pick up, should tag in little miss angel blood!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:25 pm

Does she know she is resistant yet? Don't think I have used much necrotic damage until now.

I appreciate Lurn's dedication to his god and would give him inspiration, if he didn't already have it. Got to say I wasn't expecting someone to try and run the mace away. :roll:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:33 pm

She probably doesn't. It certainly got things moving...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler