Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Quarg

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by Quarg » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:00 pm

Edit sorry about that Misread something

What level would this character start out at?
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:57 pm

They'd be level 4 or 5, depending.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:51 pm

To quickly summarise things, we have a cleric, a paladin, a rogue (archer), and Burns is on their own as a wizard. Thinks is away as a monk. So, seems like you can pretty much take any class and it'll be good.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:55 am

Jaq, Lurn and Kroshav are now officially level 5. Missed saying that after the luncheon.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:02 am

Whoo-hoo!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:42 am

:confetti:
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:22 am

I have updated everyone's proficiency, Jaq's stealth skill is +11 now? Geez.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:14 am

Jeez, what's even going on with Jaq's proficiency bonuses, they're all over the place. 2s and 4s and 6s and only a single 3, it's chaos. And he's getting proficiency bonuses to Survival and Nature even though neither is marked as having proficiency? This sheet is so drunk. In fact, I think Lurn's page is the only one where proficiency is working right for the skills.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:23 am

Jaq's sheet is a mess because = rogue. He has expertise in deception and stealth that doubles his prof. bonus. He gets prof. in nature and survival from his archetype. I am also trying to remember what other bonuses he has.

I try to check these numbers but looks like I need to do a sweep up...

Edit: Looks like the sheet was never made for characters to get to level 5 and doesn't allow for a prof. of greater than 2 :roll: . Fixed it for everyone that needed it fixed. Also fixed the unusable 'Other modifier' row so it now allows additions.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:33 am

At least Jaq is at a nice consistent 3 and 6 now, rather than being all over the place. :lol:
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:03 am

I guess I'll have to look at his sheet! Thanks for updating it, that would probably have taken me half the day to do and probably not correctly.
Last edited by NotStickFigures on Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:26 am

Cavalier? Or just likes her horse... 🤔
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:58 am

spiderwrangler wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:26 am Cavalier? Or just likes her horse... 🤔
???

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:09 pm

Speculating on your character's class, the fighter cavalier archetype is really good at mounted combat. But in looking at the sheet, I see you indeed went with paladin. :D

Kroshav loves his horse too, but Charlie's been put to work by the army.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:46 pm

Well smart paladins know to work for the army...that way when the quartermaster comes around they see the horse already has an officer on it!

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:26 pm

Well, Kroshav is far from smart, but Charlie got conscripted while he was away.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:41 am

So, the shadow things are Undead (As should have been expected, considering they serve the "Lord of The Undead." Unfortunately, judging by their attacks not draining people, they're not just Shadows. I'm planning to use my own Turn Undead when this one wears off, but if we were so lucky as for these to be Shadows, with their CR1/2, Turn Undead would be able to kill them outright.

Then again, considering Ygar is at least level 13, to know Regeneration, and Faylin is probably around the same with them both being temple heads, it just wouldn't be fair to pit us against CR1/2 undead. Actually, taking that into account, if Ygar and Faylin are both only level 13, these things have to be at least CR3. CR4+ if they're above that.
That said, I don't understand how CR works, for all I know the sensible thing would be for us to be fighting enemies with a CR over our level.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:16 am

CR is only a general guide for building encounters, iirc, they recommend using XP budget as the metric of an encounter, as it's less simplified. CR gets you in the neighborhood, then you can use XP budget to get it dialed in to the difficulty you want. CR sort of assumes it's 1 monster vs a party of 4 PCs, but once you start adding monsters, it doesn't always behave linearly.

The example I've used to illustrate that point is a thought experiment where you have a level 2 fighter in a room of cats.

► Show Spoiler
It's entirely possible that the things we are facing are at a CR above our level, especially since we have some higher level NPCs on our side. Can get trickier to balance fights with very different levels on one side without the lower level folks getting one-shot. In order for it to be nasty enough to challenge the higher level folks, it's probably going to be out-matching the lower level. Of course, makes it somewhat easier when it's not PCs of different levels.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:55 am

I swear you've spoken about this before, and I just didn't remember it. But yeah, there can't really be a perfect scale to balance all encounters.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:03 am

Actually, I think I will change this encounter now. Seems like 80 cats should get the job done. :D

You can give me an intelligence roll (or religion since that is his religion) if you want to try and identify them Dlover. Lurn and Kroshav know they are not shadows having recently met some.

Your group normally, without NPCs, was hard to plan fights for as two characters were significantly stronger. As people have leveled and gotten better gear that has become less of an issue. CR has never been a good indicator but adjusted XP is normally closer.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:09 am

Oh, Rodgeir. Dear, dear, Rodgeir. You should know by now that our religious boys don't know anything about religion. For instance: Int / Religion: 1D20-1 = [3]-1 = 2

Lurn will never know anything about religion. He has a lot of faith, his heart's in the right place, but he is just really terrible at knowing things.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:12 am

Well they aren't zombie cats, skeletons, shadows or vampires. Beyond that... who knows?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:39 am

Probably undead demons of some sort. If it's unknown, the answer is always demon. Just like those spider things. Everything is demons.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:02 am

Well all things considered in the current situation, Lurn's go to guess is rather more reasonable.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:14 am

Apparently Rodgeir buys his demons in bulk at IKEA...its a secret part of the store...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr