Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:44 am

(Sorry, slow response, My weekend was TOO busy)

Jaq considers the question. "I can assist if they still need more bodies. If they get enough volunteers though, I'll just stay and help Lurn watch here."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:19 am

((Anything else before the day starts rolling? Do you want some different spells Dlover?))

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:32 pm

Insight: 1D20+3 = [15]+3 = 18

Cary nods and then says, "So did you talk to anyone else, besides the troopers about the incident? Vent a bit about her at the bar? I am trying to see if there was anyone who might have had knowledge that your were off without an alibi and leave you holding the bag as it were..."
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:41 pm

((Morning training, volunteering to use 'make people tell the truth', if asked, otherwise I'm good.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:45 pm

The dwarf shakes her head,

"Nej, the tavern here serves nothing but watered piss an' aye haven't been friendly with the folks here. Aye told the troopers when they came but there was a number of people watching by the time they showed up."

She is angrily but honestly telling her story as far as Cary can tell.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:57 pm

((Uuh... I think I'll swap Augury for Water Walk, otherwise I've got nothing.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:27 am

((Okay, just need those two d20s from someone!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:43 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:29 am

The morning becomes hectic as people begin gathering up their belongs to get moving with the soldiers an hour after dawn, as promised. Perhaps a dozen tents remain, their occupants deciding, for whatever reason, not to come along. A few of these occupants look exceedingly hungover as they watch everyone depart, Jolly giving them understanding nods. They are told they can catch up by a soldier.

The soldiers are all mounted and are primarily at the front and back of the procession but pairs ride forward and back regularly. Kroshav is the only other person with a horse, and he has two. This is noted by both the decons and the soldiers, the later not saying anything and the former trying to weedle rides out of the dragonborn.

The pace is steady and brisk, but not hard. After five hours the soldiers call a half hour halt at a stream for lunch. The day has warmed up and not much of a breeze makes it through the trees so the break is welcomed and several decons take a dip in the stream. Towards the the end of lunch a half dozen tired, sweaty stragglers stumble in and drink greedily from the stream. One just walks out and sits in the cold snow melt stream.

After the half hour the procession picks up again and continues on its entirely uneventful way for the next four hours. As the group emerge from the forest into a clearing they see that many trees have been cut or burnt and the blackened remains of what was a medium sized village. This is likely the spot Grey, and all the rest of the patrol, met their ends delaying the hobgoblins.

Stopping short of the village the soldiers have everyone setup camp for night. The captain finds Kroshav a short while later and asks,

"You able to do your trick with telling the truth? About a dozen people claim to have been robbed and sorting it out is quite frankly impossible without someway of confirming that they are being honest."

((Anyone doing anything special on the march? We can roll back to that if needed.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:01 am

((If there are elderly, children, or injured to the point they will have trouble keeping up, Kroshav would allow them to ride, and walk alongside.))

"It's not a trick, sir. It's a tool given to me by my gods, but yes. I can use it to give you a way to figure out who had what. Might be good to have a chat with any witnesses too?"

((The only other thing he'd want to do is be on the lookout for signs of battle... carrion birds, smell of death, trampled stuff, etc. in an attempt to find Grey mostly, but if there's anything that Lurn wants to do with the fallen, he'd be there to help his fellow godsworn.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:14 am

Does Jaq sees the thief from the other night still traveling with the group? Only other thing he continues to do is listen to Kroshav about strengthening his new arm.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:50 am

((These are all able bodied deconscripts. There are no children or elderly among you. No one is more injured than Lurn, probably everyone more injured is still back being cared for.)

Jaq sees the half elf as they are walking during the day but they seem equally aware of Jaq and Lurn. While they make camp Jaq doesn't spot him.

"Okay, sure. You two come along."

He waves Jaq and Lurn to follow as he heads over to the soldier's camp where a dozen individuals are milling. The officer sends someone off to find the half elf. While you wait he says quietly to Kroshav,

"So how does this work? We have a bag with stolen coin and more claims than coin. Everything else has been returned, near as we can tell."

((Kroshav/Lurn can roll perception for the signs of death in looking for the remains of Grey and his fellows.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:03 am

((Perception: 1D20+1 = [18]+1 = 19
))

"I think it'll work best if we set up somewhere, and have them step up to make their claims one or two at a time. I can keep it going for ten minutes, so we'll have to work quick. I think maybe... tell them if they lie or act squirrely, they get nothing? Then we aren't beating around the bush for five minutes with one guy. I can cast it a second time, if we need to, but that would be it for the day. How many that made claims on coins has vouchers stolen as well?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:18 pm

As he came into the clearing, Kroshav thought he saw a lot of birds to south side of the road. Magpies and crows mostly. Could be nothing...or maybe something they are attracted to? Hard to say.

The officer nods and moves to a spot behind some tents and out of earshot of the deconscripts along with another soldier.

He then says,

"Of the seven here now all had lost their vouchers."

He then, following Kroshav's advice, will call a single man over saying to Kroshav as he comes,

"Claims to have lost at least 8 gold and 5 silver along with a small gem. You need to know anything else?"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:14 pm

Lurn will be keeping an eye out for fallen remaining on the battlefield as well.
Perception: 1D20+8 = [8]+8 = 16
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:33 am

Lurn doesn't notice anything beyond a faint scent of old fire on the air.

Jolly and Celus take a turn making tonight's dinner. Celus says he has something special in mind...

((Lurn or Jaq doing anything while Kroshav does his magic?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:27 am

((Kroshav and Lurn has previously discussed trying to find/bury the dead in this area, could Kroshav have pointed out the birds to him before going to play polygraph?))

"Good day, I'm Kroshav Xjindraakvar for those I've not met yet, a paladin in the Fist of the Five. I'm gonna help the officer here figure out who got what stole from them. When I ask, you gotta say real clear like what it was that got taken from you... if you try to lie, the gods will know, and they'll not let you, so speak true, or we'll know you're trying to cheat your fellows out of what got stole from them. It'd be the officer's decision then, of course, but I think if you're trying to lie about it, that you give up your claim to any of it. We ready to start?"

Kroshav will cast don't tell any lies, and gesture for the first two to step forward.

((zone of truth, DC 15 CHA save))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:48 am

((Sure, you had time. The officer had you a ways back so others wouldn't see how it worked but this is a good intro before they do that.))

The officer nods to a soldier and has Kroshav move out of sight as a pair approach and cast his no lying spell. He says as they arrive,

"Attempting to claim more than you should will forfeit anything stolen to the Duchy. Please state your name and the amount stolen."
The pair both shiver and they enter the zone around Kroshav and one says slowly,

"Uh, names Vinna. Lost, uh, at least..." There is a longish pause and they look to be thinking hard, "well it was at least seven gold worth of coin. Coulda been more but...well...ya."

The officer looks at a paper in his hand and comments,

"Bit less than the eight and five you claimed earlier."

He looks to Kroshav for confirmation.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:48 am

Kroshav nods.

"The seven gold is true."

He points at the next person.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:23 am

When Jaq hears about the birds, and possibly dead they are feasting on, he asks Lurn, "I think we should check that out, but I wouldn't mind watching Kroshav do his thing here, and then go afterwards with him. This might just prove interesting. That all right with you, Lurn?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:50 am

The next deconscript clears their throat and says firmly,

"Frew, and they took a little over six gold. 'Bout half was silver coin, and if possible I would like it back the same."

With a quick check with Kroshav he notes that and gives Frew a nod saying,

"Same as you stated earlier. Good."

He waves over the next pair and repeats his directions.
The third approaches and says, after a brief shiver,

"Laven. Ten gold, nine silver and a handful of coppers."

The officer checks with Kroshav saying,

"A bit more than you said this morning?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:58 am

Kroshav frowns a bit.

"Step back, then forward and repeat that, please."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:37 pm

The decon looks down at where they are standing and then up at the officer who nods. The decon takes the step back and then forward and repeats their shiver and restates,

"Laven. Ten gold, nine silver and a handful of coppers."
The officer cocks and eyebrow at Kroshav waiting for an okay.

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:14 pm

(Doesn’t zone of truth tell you if they fail or succeed on thier check?)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:38 pm

"Put 'em to the side for now, not getting a good read. Next!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler