Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:20 pm

Joe can see the rocky small hilltop as they move towards where the trees clear out, Ves in addition to the hilltop, notices what looks to be a large cave entrance. It also looks like the cave is regularly used, if the lack of grass near the entrance is any indication.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:31 pm

Lurn's in the same position as Kroshav; no reason to try anything else.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Ves points the cave entrance out to Joe, and warns her to be careful and go quietly.

She'll check for animal or monster tracks:
Survival: 1D20+5 = [15]+5 = 20

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:37 am

Arbelm waits until the groups in her squad spread out before cautiously moving forward 150 feet. If anything the blinds are harder to see at this range but now that they've been pointed out everyone sees them. Stopping Arbelm calls ahead,

"We see you there in the trees. Come down now and we can talk."

She waits. And waits some more. She repeats herself and waits again but there is no response of any kind. She looks over at Lurn and Kroshav with eyebrows raised before saying, "Last chance." and gets the same response as before. Shaking her head she signals to Dama to shoot the nearest blind. Dama smoothly lifts her bow and sends an arrow right into its middle. There is no reaction of any kind.
Arbelm looks uncertain and again looks to Lurn and Kroshav and whispers loudly,

"Suggestions?"
----
Ves looks around the edge of the clearing at the base of the small, rocky hill and sees a few large prints. Large, clawed bear prints. Pausing she leans forward and compares some of the prints. Two bears by the looks of it. Sniffing she gets a whiff of the pungentness that is bear. She can't hear or see any bears at the moment though.

((The map indicates the items are on top of the hill, not in the cave. What are you two going to do? If sneaking you can give me roll for that.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:46 am

"Could be abandoned? Or preparation for future ambush? Maybe someone goes up to check?"
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:56 am

Arbelm looks at Lurn to see if he is volunteering?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:20 am

"I'm more than willing to make the climb if you think I'm the most suited to it."

Clocking out for the night, Athletics if Arbelm sends Lurn: Athletics: 1D20+3 = [16]+3 = 19
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:34 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:03 am

"As the one that can best heal injuries? Probably not." She scans the teams and picks Indra and Jolly to check the blind in the middle and Kroshav and Celus the one to the north while everyone else moves another 30 feet closer.

Jolly is thrilled to have been picked, but keeps his mouth shut and gives Kroshav and Lurn a long suffering look. Indra doesn't seem to mind and leads the way. Jolly follows behind but is much more cautious, looking everywhere. Jolly and Indra arrive before Celus and Kroshav arrive at the north blind and at the base of the tree Indra calls back,

"No one in this one."

As she is about to turn and walk to the blind to the south both she and Jolly are wreathed in fire around the base of the tree. The fire disappears as quickly as it appeared, though it does leave the tree smoking and Jolly cursing.
Arbelm tenses and readies for an attack but nothing else happens as Jolly and Indra hustle back to the group, slightly more crispy. She waves Kroshav back.

She looks at Lurn and Kroshav and mutters,

"Just a trap? That smoke is going to let them know where we are though. Do we go around?"

((Suggestions?

What would Jaq be doing where he is? Give me a perception roll.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:17 pm

((Oh, and blind Kroshav was approaching seemed to also be unoccupied.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:42 pm

"Do they look like orcs made 'em? Any one see... orc prints?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:07 pm

Jolly gives Kroshav what the dragonborn can only assume is a glare. It's really hard to tell without the eyebrows. He clears it up by half shouting,

"What the hells does an gods damned orc print look like Kroshav? If you say boots I swear I'm gonna..." He continues by making aggressive hand gestures.

Indra looks just as unhappy but is much quieter about it.

Arbelm's brow furrows slightly and she gives Jolly a look that causes him to lower his volume.

"Why do you think this is orc work?"

((You can approach and give a survival if you'd like.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:26 pm

"Oh.. wait, I meant hobgoblins...", Kroshav says quietly.

((Nice thing about Kroshav and his 7 INT is when I goof up, it's in character!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:27 pm

"Orcs would be a bigger problem, I think." Lurn sets to checking on Jolly and Indra for their burns, "Magical traps, maybe? But if there are more further on they may have some traps to make people reluctant to go after the ones that're manned?"
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:40 am

Jolly's reddened and slightly blistered face becomes even redder at Kroshav's admission but keeps his grumbling to his normal low volume.

Arbelm gives Kroshav a long, hard look but doesn't comment further on the mistake before looking to Jolly and Indra for an answer to one of Lurn's questions as the firbolg checks the pair out.

Indra shakes her head, her shoulder length brown hair is a melted mass on one side and bounces oddly as she shakes it, all of her exposed skin is a bright red but she doesn't look too badly injured. She answers,

"Didn't see anything really. No one was up the tree and there were some scuff marks on the trunk."

Jolly looks to be worse off but not all that bad either and adds,

"Saw a flash on the tree just before the fire. Pretty magic looking to me."

Arbelm looks back to the smoking tree.

"It would be a good way to dissuade us from checking the blinds and letting them know something is here." She considers a moment more before waving the alert squad forward past the blind, with one person twenty feet ahead of each group. Nothing more happens in the process and Arbelm says to Dama, "Let's put some distance between us and here."

Jaq pops up from under a small bush that looks far too small to have hidden him so completely and follows along having only seen just then seen the tree smoking.

Jaq perception: 1D20+2 = [2]+2 = 4

((Keeping your initial perception rolls as you travel))

The rest of the afternoon the squad moves through the forest and neither Lurn nor Kroshav spot anything unusual until the sun has reached the treetops. At that point both see a pair of someones moving slowly between the trees trying to use the long shadows and sunset to hide them. They have clearly spotted/heard the squad but no one else in the squad appears to have spotted them.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:59 pm

Eyeing the figures, Lurn mutters in a voice just loud enough for those around him to hear, "People ahead, trying to hide. Two of them. Can't see them clearly enough to know what they are."
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:58 pm

((Arbelm really needs a hand signal for "Jaq, go be sneaky and check it out."!))

Kroshav will move to anyone not within hearing of Lurn to pass on word (especially if Arbelm did not).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:21 pm

(Finger to lips as if shushing someone and then pointing direction needed to go?

I have not posted for Joe because I was wating on Ves to point out bears)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:24 pm

((I was thinking something less obvious if they are being observed. But Kroshav certainly isn't wily enough to come up with it!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:09 pm

Ves nudges Joe and whispers: "Bears. Two of them in that cave. Best leave them be and go around. Quiet as we can."

Stealth: 1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:31 am

Arbelm doesn't react to Lurn's comment beyond taking a read on the sun's location. She calls Dama back from her lead position and asks quietly but so Lurn can still hear,

"Where are we now? North of Närmyr?" Dama pauses and seems to be doing some calculating before answering, "Yep, near enough. Though I'd put us a little past, maybe a few miles east of due north. Why?"

Arbelm scans the trees ahead and responds,

"We were to meet a scout somewhere near this point, though I was only told to expect one. If they aren't who we are expecting we should be ready." She waits while Kroshav spreads the news before reaching into a pouch and pulling out a small, wooden whistle. She gives it two short blows and then a longer sustained blow that produce some sort of warbling bird song. She removes the whistle and scans the woods, free hand on her sword.

Lurn watches the pair who both halted when Dama was called back. They remain motionless until the whistle is blown at which point one of the figures shifts and with very little movement responds with a long and then two short calls of the same type as Arbelm's. The corporal relaxes and taps Dama and Lurn to follow and waves Jaq and Kroshav along as she gives orders for everyone else to take a break but to keep their eyes open. The small group moves forward and one of the figures, disengages from the shadow of a tree and moves to meet them. Closer up Jaq recognizes the scout to be the man that snuck up behind him the night they joined the army. Arbelm gives the man a salute and he reciprocates, but doesn't acknowledge the rest of the group. He proceeds,

"Corporal Arbelm? Gray month." Arbelm nods, "Yes. Sandy shore." Seeming satisfied the scout quickly and quietly begins speaking, "Corporal, your orders have changed. The siege is to be lifted tomorrow as the sun rises and you are to provide what distraction and support you can. I don't have many more details but five other teams have already been sent and will engage from the forest while the main army launches their attacks. Not sure if there will be support from across the river or from the city. Doesn't matter, you've got your orders and I need to try and make contact with another group tonight." He pauses for questions but Arbelm only nods. He begins moving north and says over his shoulder as the other scout catches up, "Good luck Corporal, we will try and catch up if we can."

((You three can ask questions if you like.))

Arbelm turns to Dama when the scouts have left and asks, "How long do we have and can we make it?"

Dama looks back at the rest of the party and says, "We got about ten an' a half hours to make a trip that'd take nearly eight by road in the daylight. I can get us there but its gonna be close and its probably gonna hurt."

Arbelm looks at the rest of small group, "We have our orders and know what's ahead. Any suggestions on how we can make less of a gamble?"

((She is looking for suggestions from the three of you. Also can I get a wisdom roll from Kroshav please.
Lot of text. Sorry!))
----
Ves indicates they should go around the back side of the hill, where the cave isn't, to get to the stash.

((Stealth roll from Joe if she is being sneaky!))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:45 am

Lurn shakes his head, "There's nothing I can do for a group. Except maybe carry a person or two when they tire and call upon my lord's guidance to keep me strong."
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:36 am

"Get there best as we're able, and try to get it scouted a bit... I'll ask the Five to guide our steps."

Wisdom check: 1D20+1 = [9]+1 = 10
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:02 am