Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:31 am

((Yep, see that now.))

She has no idea why it would be metal.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:48 am

History: 1D20+1 = [9]+1 = 10

"Well, dad, this is something you and mom found back when you were younger, right?" he asks with a smile. "Let's see what you found and didn't even know about."
He will pick it up and take a closer look. "Well, it obviously needs to be unrolled." Looking at his father he asks, "Do you want to unroll, it, or should we try?"
If he wants to do it himself, Jaq will attempt to assist. (not sure what roll you'd want for that)
If he wants us to do it, Jaq would try it, and ask Joe to assist.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:57 am

"Please, you and Joe can open it. This was the part your mom liked most."

He gives a Jaq a smile.

((If Joe is up for it you can just unroll it... slight of hand if you are trying to be careful. With advantage if help is given and explained! I.e. tell me how you're helping.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:59 am

Joe helps Jaq unroll the piece of metal, holding it down in placesso it don't curl back up.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:00 am

((Good enough, slight of hand with advantage from Jaq.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:11 am

Slight of hand: 2D20.HIGH(1)+6 = [13, 7]+6 = 19

Jaq, while squinting his eyes and the tip of his tongue sticking out, focuses intently and works on unrolling the copper metal, with Joe's help.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:41 am

((Oh and Jaq didn't know why the scroll would be metal either))

It takes a bit of doing but between the two of them they manage to unroll the metal scroll on a desk to a little more than twice it's height. It has been acid marked and in a few places etched and seems to be plans to a building, maybe? There are Dwarven runes etched in around the plans but a large number are different from the ones Jaq is familiar with. Some of the words he can make out appear to confirm his assessment that they are plans but also that it is likely underground.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:06 pm

"So, a map, or blueprints, actually. Dad, do you remember where you found this or what it might a map of?"
"I don't understand some of the Dwarven script, do either of you understand it?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:54 pm

Jaq's father leans, looking over the scroll with interest.

"Found it? Well the things in that chest are more a less a blend of things that didn't sell quickly." Looking away he picks up the one winged bird and attempts to put its wing back on with little success. "I can't honestly remember finding this. Since it is in the chest I can say it was almost certainly within 20 or so years of you being born or else we would have just sold it cheap to whomever." He drops the wing back into the chest with a sigh. "Around that time we were mostly in Balyon but we got as far north as Brancil and Gez. Visited Watershead but they don't have much in the way of ruins there unless you can breath underwater."

He looks back at the scroll,

"Those runes are old Dwarven, your mom could read them but you know I always have had a hard time with how they write and talk now. Honestly should have sat in while she was teaching you! You can probably ask Bren about what they mean. I haven't seen him for a few months but I'm sure he is still at his shop by Northgate."

((Bren is a friend of the family from back in Jaq's parents adventuring days, closer to his mom than his dad.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Joe looks at the parchment. "Hmm. I dinnae know exacly why they made it of metal unless they wanned it ta keep. Too bad Ah dinnae have my cartigrah'r set on me."

(any check to decipher the map?)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Ves gives Lurn a long look. She's not entirely sure if he's naive or just isn't worried about the envelope...

"Wouldn't know about that, but I know that the guards already think we're up to something and neither of us are elves. Stand out a bit too, wouldn't you say.

Come on. Let's go if we're going."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:20 pm

"Neither of us are elves, but I am a firbolg, and you have seen that they show my kind an amount of respect. Possibly due to our ability to speak to nature. Regardless, I will ensure your safety, never fear." Lurn stands, heading outside with Ves. Once they're a distance off, he speaks again, "So what are you truly concerned about with the letter? If it were a threat or ransom it would be delivered by one of their own."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:55 pm

"I dunno... Just... I guess I'm not as sure that rusty dagger place is... As good place to be as I thought. I mean, we don't know them or this Jaq guy. We don't know the alchemy guy or really much of any of what happened yesterday except folk got sick and we didn't, then the fog maybe cured them. Do you understand how that works? Cos I don't.

You ever just feel like you're being whisked up in something and you don't know what it is or where you're going, but you can't fight it? Like... Like, you've fallen in a river and it's all you can do to keep your head in the air and you're just going to have to go until it let's you out.

I dunno. Had a weird morning I guess.

...really hate being stuck in the city as well. Might go find Jolly when we're done with the other two and see if he wants to get out of here on that job of his. I can freahen my supplies on the road if needs be. He doesn't seem the fussy type and I'm ready to get some fresh air."

Utterly exhausted from speaking so much, Ves sighs and lapses into a thoughtful silence.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:25 pm

"It's a gathering place for... Less reputable sorts. But consider this. The Prefect is having a concoction prepared which will allow him to control non-elves. There is very clearly no right side to any of it. That is why I shall simply continue, and protect the lives of all I may. Keeping my head in the air, as you say."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 am

((Burns, it's not a map as near as you can tell.

Dlover + Thinks, just heading to Jaq's? Any stops?)(

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:02 am

Just to Jaq's. And... Let's keep an eye out to make sure nobody's following us to work out where he lives.

Lurn Perception: 1D20+7 = [1]+7 = 8

Natural 1... Well, it was bound to happen eventually.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:51 am

If Ves spots a pastry place, she'll buy a pie for breakfast. Pastry is hard to make on the road.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:22 pm

Lurn is sure that they are being followed for a solid five minutes but it turns out to just be a man walking in the same direction. Or is it just a ruse to make it seem like he isn't being followed?

While Lurn, who is at least a head taller than nearly everyone around him, is doing his best impression of an owl Ves focuses on what is important - pastries. She finds a fairly clean looking shop on the edge of the slums and purchases a flaky crusted apple pie with coarse ground cinnamon. Considering where she bought it and what it cost (2 copper) it is surprisingly good.

As they leave the shop and head towards where Jaq said his house was Ves notices the large number of guards, and even military presence, growing as they head west along the road. Considering there were no guards at all in the slums it is a very noticeable change, for everyone except Lurn. Ves also spots a few people looking and pointing at her while talking when they are in the vicinity of where she found Jolly but after a few minutes of walking this stops. By the time they are near where they think Jaq's house is only the guards seem to be giving them more than a casual glance. Shops line both sides of the road and the area is significantly more affluent than the slums but no where near the opulence of the Prefect's or even the area on the other side of the city park.
---
Jaq's dad glances out the window of the shop and does a double take,

"I think those are your friends there. I doubt anyone else with a blue rooster comb would be traveling with a matching giant."
Last edited by Rodgeir on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:43 am

Jaq laughs. "Yes, I guess they would be hard to miss."
He heads outside and waves then over. "We were wondering if you were going to show up. Where did you stay last night?" He asks this as they are walking back into the shop.
Once inside, he will introduce everyone.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:59 am

((Ves or Lurn?))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:32 am

Ves will nod to the others in greeting as they emerge from the house. She'll be pleased to see they're safe and well at least.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:53 am

"Come in, come in..." Jaq ushers them quickly through the shop and through the door the connects it to his home. You can see the store is filled with odds and ends and curiosities as well as a few more mundane items that the normal resident would need on occasion. After quickly introducing Ves and Lurn to his father he will motion people to sit and be comfortable while he pulls two chairs over from the kitchen table to everyone has a spot to sit.

"Where did you two stay overnight? We were a bit worried the guards might have gotten overzealous and kept you for questioning on something or that you found more trouble!"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:55 pm

"The Rusty Dagger, of all places. Lurn wanted to unwind after all the excitement."

Ves gives Lurn a broad grin.

"We got caught by a couple of guard who wanted to know all about the kidnapping, but there wasn't much to tell. The kidnappers got lucky and escaped. ...execpt the dead ones I guess. Theyd been moved too though. what happened with the girl?"

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:14 pm

"Well, she was a very spoiled brat, but her father (or was it uncle) was glad we stuck around and made certain she was safe. He knows where I live, and he is pretty high up in the city standing, so we may here from him again. It seems like they don't like to do a lot of leg-work themselves, and get others to do it, in case things might get ugly."
Clearing his throat he continues.
He did make her offer us some thank you gifts for saving her. Since you two did not stick around, he would only let us pick one item for you two to share. Joe here picked one out for you that we hope had some good resale value, so that if you wanted you could sell it and share the silvers."

Holding up his hand he shows a dark grey ring with a swirl pattern in it, "This is what I picked out. According to Joe, it is magic, I'm not yet certain what it does yet though."

He looks over at Joe to continue.