Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:40 am

Jolly comments on Lurn's 'ability',

"Know a guy that after a couple beers says he can talk with plants. Mostly says they don't got much to say. Another guy says he can whisper ta horses." He looks at his horse. "He'd tell ya that without a drink in'm. Don't think he was all there."

Jolly also looks hopeful and the chance of staying inside the walls.

"So how we get in here? We gotta move the cart or what?"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:31 am

"Some possess such gifts, some are not entirely sane... Firbolgs all possess that power, though. I could ask your horse to throw you off if you wish for a demonstration." Casting an eye over the barricade, the large man shrugs, "There are owlbears and bandits in the forest, remember? Of course they'd barricade their gate so nothing can easily get in. That being the case, simply barging in would cause everyone alarm. We can hear them from here, so if we call somebody would hear."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:35 am

Jolly gives Lurn a tired look and responds in a flat, humorless tone,

"Thanks, gonna pass for now."

And later at Timmer, to Lurn in the same tone,

"I get why they do, not an idiot. Just wonderin' how to do it without gettin' shot again." He ponders his glowiness. "Ya can go ahead an give a shout."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:57 am

Joe yells at the gate guards "'Ello up thar! Can ye please let us in?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:55 am

Ves moves towards the gate, ready to speak with the guards without so much late-night yelling.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:37 am

A face pokes out from around the side of the fence under the cart on Joe's call. The face appears to belong a human boy or a girl with short hair of about 12. The child's eyes quickly scan the group before they pull their head back behind the wall. Ves hears a hushed conversation as she approaches, one voice much deeper than the others. After sitting waiting for perhaps half a minute the cart rolls slightly to the side and a thick dwarven man in functional, plain plate armor steps out. He has his hand on the haft of a large axe strapped at his side. He looks from Ves to the rest of the group and then back to Ves. Behind him Ves can see two other people with bows climbing the cart. The dwarf chews his beard a moment squinting up at Ves before saying, in the deep voice she heard as she approached,

"What's yer business in Timmer an' 'ow much of that blood's yers and yer companions?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:11 am

"We got attack'd by some bandits on tha road, n not too long ago we ran inta some owlbears. We be headin' north, but we'd like a place ta stay fer tha night."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:40 am

The dwarf scans the group and finds Joe,

"Bandits? Been hearin' bout a band to the west. Owlbears we seen an' heard. Looks like ye just barely made it here."

He gives the group another hard look before calling over his shoulder,

"Open it up, take'm to Bremdels."

The two with bows hop down from the cart and, by the sounds of it, somethings are moved before the cart is pushed just wide enough for you to enter one at a time. The dwarf steps inside ahead of you and moves around the edge of the wall outside of your views.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:44 am

Once through, Kroshav moves to the side and dismounts, moving to speak to the dwarf.

"I think the bandits are broken, but the owlbears are a problem. We were talkin' about seeing to them tomorrow, do you have any fighters who can help with that?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:15 am

Coming through Kroshav sees a couple individuals watching as he and the rest enter. The owner of the young face, now clearly a half elf girl, stands waiting by the only road in town looking on expectantly and gestures for you to follow her.

The dwarf gives Kroshav a measuring look and guffaws.

"Fighters? In Timmer? Ye haven't been 'ere before 'ave ye? We be hardy enough but fighters we ain't. Cept me yer gonna be hard pressed to find any that's been in a fight. Ye seem earnest enough though so go to Bremdel's and ask fer Bralsa. She's yer best bet."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:27 am

Kroshav nods, "I'm Kroshav Xjindraakvar, thank you for giving us shelter in your town for the night."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:59 am

"Enrud Marmor. Follow the lass an' have a good night."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:49 am

"Thanks"

Ves dismounts, and leads her horse and the group inside the village bounds.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:25 pm

As Ves dismounts the girl starts down the dirt road. She doesn't say anything as she goes. You walk by several homes, mostly with darkened windows, that were built in a similar style to the wall ((log cabinish)). The houses are all about the same size and become more irregular in placement as you head down the road. Coming around a slight bend in the road you see one of the larger buildings that were visible from outside. Ves immediately recognizes it as the boarding house. It's still got lights shining from its windows and even has smoke rising from its chimney. the building also was clearly built with a bit more finesse than the cabins. ((The village is small so the walk from the wall to the boarding house took maybe two minutes))

The girl stops and points at the building, and its small, attached stables. Rubbing her nose with her forearm she says,

"That's Bremdel's. She's got room for your horses."

The young half elf girl turns and walks back the way you came.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:30 pm

"Thank you.", Kroshav heads towards the stables to get Charlie settled in for the night.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:44 pm

Kroshav gets a "Yep," as she moves off.

The stables are unmanned but there are a dozen stalls, only three of which are occupied - two with horses and one with a cow. Kroshav selects a stall and gets his gear and saddle off Charlie before brushing the horse down. There is water in a bucket in the stall but there isn't any food in the stall or visible in the stables.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:35 pm

((If he has any oats or the like, he'll give Charlie a bit along with some water, otherwise just ask once he heads inside.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:40 pm

((It's reasonable he'd have some oats on hand, and there is water in the stall.))

Charlie gives Kroshav an appreciative bump with his head for the oats and brushing.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:01 pm

Ves stables her and Jolly's horses then heads inside to sort beds for the group.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Lurn sets to stabling his draft horse, "Joe, could you ask the landlady if there is feed available for the horses?"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:29 pm

Joe nods and heads inside, looking for a place to check in. "'Ello, do ye 'ave some oats fer sale?"

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:29 pm

Jaq asks, “How many rooms are we getting?”

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:52 am

With all the horses stabled the group moves inside, Jolly staying near Ves.

The inside of the boarding house is one large room, largely undecorated with a single separating wall to the right. To the left of the door there are a half dozen rough tables and a cold fire place. Five people sit at one table eating and drinking. When the group enters the people at the table stop talking and watch them.

To the right of the door there are stairs leading up and a door. Beside the door there is a desk behind which sits an older grey skinned tiefling reading a book. She has a slight smile on her lips.

She looks up Joe's question a bit startled. She quickly composes herself and looks the group over, her expression turning a bit sour at your rough and bloody state. She clicks her tongue and focuses on Joe,

"Oats? Yes we have oats but I'm guessing you're stabling your horses? It is part of the stabling fee. If you'd like to buy additional oats, we can arrange that as well. You're just needing stabling for the night? Two silver a horse."

She hears Jaq's question and sees Ves ready to ask the same,

"It is our slow season so unfortunately I only had three rooms available and two are already filled. The rest are being refurnished. There is plenty of room in the bunkhall, though. The room will fit two, if you're not worried about being close to each other. The room is 8 silver and bunks will be 3. Both come with breakfast." She considers critically. "A bath is recommended but it is quite late and my help went home so it would have to wait until tomorrow. If you want something to eat I can see what's left in the kitchen."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:50 am

"The bunkroom is ideal for me, and find would be very welcome. If any of you prefer privacy, youre welcome to take the room. We've each got a horse, but we've seen to them already. Just need food and water for them and a calm place for them to rest."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:30 am

((Find? Food I am guessing? Also you don't each have a horse, Joe is doubling with Lurn.))

"Price for the horses is the same, for that price they get what you want. Anyone else want some food? Probably going to be lukewarm venison soup and day old bread at this point. A copper for a bowl and a copper for a loaf. Anything to drink? Got weak ale for a copper and something stronger for three."

She stands and looks around for more orders.