Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:39 pm

My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:31 am

After another twenty minutes of running Dama veers off the clear path of the hobs and moves the group slightly north around a rise the hobs seemingly chose to go south around. She pushes the group on around, and then down and up a small gully, before raising her hand and indicating everyone should be quiet, or as quiet as possible. She looks up at the sun through the trees and then back at the hill before loudly whispering,

"If they keep up they way they've been heading they will come this spot, or near enough I expect. Can't be more than a minute or two ahead of them."

Kroshav holds and can clearly hear something coming closer from the south. Several somethings. Dama meets his gaze and nods pointing to the spot she expects them to emerge. Arbelm looks to the point Dama indicates and nods but then sniffs and turns to look east along the older path left by the hobs, where Lurn is already looking. Lurn can smell the barest hint of smoke in the air and sees a faint line of smoke rising above the trees from a source that can be no more than five hundred feet away. Jaq doesn't hear anything over the sound of his own heart in his ears, nor does Celus who is trying to silently suck air.
Arbelm says quietly, "I smell smoke. We are probably near their camp." She looks back to the southwest where the sounds of pounding feet are growing louder and then back to the east. "Should be ambush them before they get to the camp and who knows how many reinforcements or let them reach the camp and attack them there to delay them for the main group? Any other ideas?"

((Where you are now is in the forest proper and not a clearing of any sort, there are trees all around and many options for cover.

What would you like to do?))

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:51 am

From where the smoke is indicated, how quickly would the reinforcement possibly be able to show up?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:25 am

((9ish turns away assuming similar terrain between the smoke and where you are standing. Maybe faster if they are on the west side of the smoke, maybe slower if they are on east side.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:34 am

"Take them out while they are at least split up yet?" Jaq asks questioningly. As he looks around for a place where he can hide, yet move around and snipe. Around 40 feet away from his main group.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:12 am

((Wherever you decide to engage them I will make up a map and you can indicate your spots.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:16 am

Kroshav wants somewhere he can be hidden without needing to try real hard at hiding... Close to the site of ambush so he can get in the thick of it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:21 am

((So Kroshav is pro-ambush here then? I will finish making a map up and you can coordinate where you want everyone.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:51 am

((He's willing, but as far as he's concerned, the corporal is the ranking officer and he's looking up them for orders.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:24 pm

Since Joe is in a relative area of peace, she will try to summon back Ruby (this time as a reddish/orange tabby cat)

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:47 pm

(Tabby cat Ruby....That'll confuse Jaq, he'll have a few questions about how that works)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:09 pm

((Going to be tomorrow for map, spent the last little while in the emergency room getting my daughter stitched up. Whittling accident.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:27 pm

((Familiars being able to change which form they're in when you recast the spell is a confusing thing. XD))

"Better to stop them from regrouping, I'd say."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:24 am

► Show Spoiler
Arbelm nods and begins looking around. "Where should we strike them from?"

((If there is a tree, or trees, between you and a target it will have some amount of cover. More than four trees provides full cover, three trees three quarters cover, 1 or 2 trees is half cover. The hobs sound like they will be coming from the southwest (bottom left) and I have marked their old trail in light green. How close they follow that trail isn't a sure thing.

I dropped Kroshav around a bend where there are several trees that would help hide him until someone comes around the corner. Jaq I put a distance away from the main group that would let him snipe with a relatively shot both to the SW and N. Lurn is just chilling with the other three. Where do you want them and where do you want Lurn?))
----
Joe asks to borrow a brazier and Nezza sets him up outside. She watches curiously for a quarter of an hour before losing interest and going inside and getting her book and coming back out to sit in the sun nearby. Jemma also watches, wincing as the herbs are summarily burnt, but when there is no sudden magic event wanders off with a goodbye to Nezza. A half dozen other individuals pass by curious but none stay longer than it takes to share a few words with Nezza.

An hour after the ritual began, and with an odd popping noise, a furry version of Ruby appears beside Joe. It looks up at Joe and with its eyes says, Took your time to bring me back didn't you?. He then promptly lays down and begins a thorough cleaning of himself ignoring Joe and the rest of the world.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:26 am

"Uuh, in front so they can't run to join their camp easily? I'm not great at tactics."

((I'm probably fine there, so long as they'd actually be somewhat hidden for the ambush.
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:38 am

(I like where Jaq is, He'll hide well off the trail until they pass, then move in so he can attack from behind

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:50 pm

((Okay, I think you all have disadvantage so go ahead and give me a flat stealth roll and an initiative roll.

Dama is going to move to the west side of the hob path per Arbelm's orders and Celus and she will engage from where they are currently hiding. Your spot okay Spider?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:37 pm

My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:44 pm

”Ah know. It took meh a while ta get ingred’ts.” Joe strokes Ruby’s ears before going to Ves. ”Ya ready ta leave?”

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:17 pm

Kroshav does some of the best hiding of his life.

Stealth; Initiative: 1D20 = [20] = 20
1D20 = [9] = 9
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:27 am

Before everyone scatters Arbelm says,

"We are after the caster, they are too much of a threat to allow to escape. Capture if we can but not a risk to yourselves or allowing them to get away."

Once everyone gets to their hiding places, Dama blends in west of Jaq while Lurn and co. all hunker down. Celus clearly isn't very good at it but hopefully it will be enough. On the otherside of the hob trail Kroshav slides into a perfectly sized spot between two trees and pulls down a large fern. If it wasn't for the tracks leading to where he is hidden no one would be able to find him.

Barely a minute later the sounds of feet become clearer with the sounds of heavy breathing accompanying it. Dama and Jaq both watch as a train of hob goblins move past, the caster clearly in the middle of the group. At the front and the rear of the group are longbow wielding hobgoblins while the rest have long swords and shields over their chain. The procession passes without noticing either of them and then begins passing where Lurn, Celus, Dama and Arbelm are hiding. None even bother to glance over in their direction and the first nearly reach Kroshav's spot when Celus springs out and moves towards the caster. All the hobs are caught unaware and are unable to react this round, several don't even seem to register the attack as Celus reaches the caster and begins to slash at him, hitting the startled caster repeatedly before smashing him unconscious with the blade hilt.

Initiative:
Group 3 19
Group 2 18
Celus 14
Group 1 14
Dama 10
Kroshav 9 <---
Jaq 8
Arbelm 7
Jaq ??
Lurn 5

Map:
► Show Spoiler
((There is literally no way the hobs could notice Jaq even if he rolls a 1, so I only need his initiative. Jaq is in the same place as in the last map and can easily move and get a shot.

Attack rolls for Dama later, caster is down!))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:14 am

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:55 am

Kroshav breaks from cover and carves into the nearest hob.

Longsword: 1D20+7 = [12]+7 = 19
Damage: 1D8+5+2 = [3]+5+2 = 10
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:35 am

Dama pops out and sends and arrow into the trailing hob while Kroshav attacks the hob at the front.

None of the hobs in the group have called out loudly and the ones in the front were seemingly unaware of the attacks going on behind them.
Initiative:
Group 3 19
Group 2 18
Celus 14
Group 1 14
Dama 10
Kroshav 9
Jaq 8 <---
Arbelm 7
Jaq ??
Lurn 5

Maps zoomed in and out:
► Show Spoiler
--------
((We'll give Thinks some time to respond before we have Ves and Joe start heading west.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Longbow attack: 1D20+8 = [11]+8 = 19

Arrow damage and sneak damage: 1D8+6+2D6 = [2]+6+[4, 6] = 18

Jaq will move out from the tree line after they pass and if he has a shot, he will target a longbow wielder.
If not, he will target a rear guard.
He will then move and hide again, with his cunning action.

stealth with disadvantage due to exhaustion: 2D20.LOW(1)+9 = [7, 6]+9 = 15