Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:51 am

Jaq tries to recall if the statue's face may have been the man he had seen in his trance?
Was Pelor be a protector??

two dice rolls as requested.
_: 2D20 = [14, 19] = 33

In the morning, Jaq will specifically go looking to forage for mushrooms.
And once/if he finds some, he will have Ves look at them and see if they are edible or useful and what she can teach him about them.

Survival: 1D20+4 = [11]+4 = 15

Nature: 1D20+5 = [10]+5 = 15
Last edited by NotStickFigures on Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:53 am

((Kroshav would have tried to cleanse Jaq's hand with Lay on Hands when they stopped for the evening, even though I'm not anticipating success.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:37 am

Jaq doesn't think the face of the statue really looks like the old guy in his memories. Maybe a little bit? The harder he thinks about it the fuzzier the face seems to get in his memory.

Heading out Jaq finds a wide assortment of mushrooms in the remains of whatever small sized settlement was here. What is edible though?

((The laying on of hands doesn't impact the blackness on Jaq's hand, confirming it is no normal disease.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 am

He will pick some of the mushrooms, keeping the different types separated, and bring them back and see what Ves knows of them.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Ves doesn't know much about WHAT the mushrooms are, but she knows which ones are good at least, and which ones are just for fun.

Survival: 1D20+5 = [16]+5 = 21

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:47 am

Ves hunkers down next to Jaq and makes four separate piles of picked mushrooms. The first, and smallest, pile are the edibles. The next pile is for fun. The third is for fun but too much and you're dead and the last pile, the largest and most colorful, is for no fun and you're dead mushrooms.

Seems like Jaq has an eye for deadly mushrooms, but since they are so much more colorful and easy to spot it isn't a big surprise. Except for a tiny brown one that looks a lot like one of the edibles...
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:40 am

Kroshav goes over to console Ves since she seems beside herself.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:43 am

Just for the fun of it and emphasising Lurn's complete cluelessness with nature, are any of the "No fun and you're dead mushrooms" ones Lurn has eaten through the protection of constantly using Purify Food and Drink?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:51 am

Lurn has mostly been eating what Ves has prepared so he doesn't know exactly what he has eaten recently but he quietly recalls having probably eaten each of the deadly and a few of the fun ones at least once. A big red and purple is one of his favorites and really easy to find.

Seriously though, why would a plant (or fungi) be bright and tasty looking if it didn't want to be eaten?

((
spiderwrangler wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:40 am Kroshav goes over to console Ves since she seems beside herself.
:roll: ))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:57 am

”Which uns are which?”

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:17 pm

While the others are sorting piles of mushrooms Jolly seeks out Kroshav already with his practice stick in hand and says,

"Come on."

He looks at Lurn,

"Ya in today?"

((Wasn't Lurn going to do something with the dice?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:31 pm

Kroshav nods and trots over, picking up his stick and shield, letting Jolly set the pace of their training.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:37 pm

Ves is somewhat surprised by the sudden interest in mushrooms, but explains what she told Jaq again to Joe and Lurn.

"Honestly... Just don't eat mushrooms you find. Except this one... Look. See how it's yellowish and then browns quickly when you bruise it? That means it's ok. Actually really nice and nutty. See how this one looks a bit similar? Well it doesn't bruise. It'll also make you vomit rainbows for the best part of a week so don't eat it.

Ok, we ready to go?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Kroshav sets a surprisingly hard pace right off. He is still just far enough beneath Kroshav's skill level that the young dragonborn is able to hold the older human in check despite his intensity. He is definitely getting better with his shield to and even manages to use it to attack with.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, Jolly isn't able to keep up the pace up and after a quarter hour he stands dripping sweat on the temple's floor. Arms shaking, jaw clenched Jolly gasps for breath before starting back in, much more slowly. After finishing Jolly, after dumping some water on his head, takes Kroshav by the arm and says quietly,

"Thank ya."

Before turning and packing up.

---
Nature class continues with the background noise of Kroshav and Jolly training, Ves becoming increasingly frustrated surprised at the complete lack of understanding seemingly everyone has for nature.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:58 pm

"You're welcome, my friend."

Kroshav considers Jolly's behavior and attitude.

Insight: 1D20+1 = [13]+1 = 14
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:38 pm

Jolly looks to be trying to work through some things. He is really angry but doesn't seem to have a focus for it.

Kroshav guesses it is maybe one of those stadiums or stables or whatever of sadness things Sir Tarneth said people need to have and that the training is some sort of outlet.

Doesn't act like he is mad at Kroshav, at least outside the training.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:08 pm

((She wouldn't be frustrated, just somewhat confused by the new interest and wondering whether they're all going to be tripping balls the entire way back. She's happy to teach what she knows :) ))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:11 pm

Kroshav will keep that in mind next time they train, and take a more defensive role, letting Jolly work it out.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:20 pm

thinkslogically wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:08 pm ((She wouldn't be frustrated, just somewhat confused by the new interest and wondering whether they're all going to be tripping balls the entire way back. She's happy to teach what she knows :) ))
((Noted and updated. Honestly I am also surprised at the sudden interest in mushrooms but why not!))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Rodgeir wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:17 pm ((Wasn't Lurn going to do something with the dice?))
((Oh, right! Need to prepare Augury, so I've swapped out Sanctuary for it.))

Lurn chimes in cheerfully with the mushrooms, gesturing to some of the brightly coloured mushrooms, "I think I've tried those ones before. They don't all taste great, but some of them are really good. Like that one, the flamboyant boy I call it. Fry it some and it really makes a meal."

When Jolly asks if Lurn is joining the training the large man shakes his head, "I still have to investigate those dice some more. See if they're any use." Taking a little distance from the others, just enough to roll dice without getting them in the way, Lurn plonks himself down, contemplating the dice. He would have to choose a course of action that he would know the expected result for, and he'd have to keep in mind a plan for making things work, too... "Okay then, this one will be how much good there is, and the other is how much bad there is. And then, for the test question... I suppose 'how much would it help my survival if I gutted myself with my knife?' That'll work."
Having decided on his plans, Lurn sets to his ritual, focusing on the course of action and the functions assigned to each die, rolling first the Weal, then the Woe.
((I might suggest that if there's no hard evidence that magic happens, you don't reveal whether you've rolled the dice; if it just so happens that the rolls turn out exactly as I'd expect, then it will leave me with as much certainty as Lurn would have.))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:33 am

Lurn throws the dice, weal coming up a two and woe a six.

Maybe there would be some kind of good to trying to gut himself in the next half hour? Mostly bad though.

((Any more questions?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:07 am

"Hm, well that's a... Fairly reasonable result. These dice might just work!"
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:42 am

Ves packs up the edible mushrooms and leads the group onwards.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:03 am

((Can I get a survival roll from Ves and Jaq as you're walking please.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:05 am

Survival: 1D20+4 = [12]+4 = 16

(FYI Jaq wasn't asking about the mushrooms looking for psychedelic effects. He also raises his eyebrows when that issue comes up. Instead he truly wants to learn which are edible, and also wants to work on eventually learning which ones may be used in tonics or potions and have some effects. Let's not forget he does like selling his tonics :) Also he is not interested in learning how to poison people at all, but he does most certainly keep track of which ones are deadly)