Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:54 am

Kroshav, recoiling his rope, shrugs his agreement.

Most horses that have run into him have bounced off or fallen down, so Lurn's cavalry concern doesn't bother him too much.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:16 am

Joe nods. ”We need ta get ta civiliz’n fore tha curse gets worse. Ah can give tha climbin ability ta 2 oth’s.”

Joe has the stick. Also how wide is the ravine? More than 30’?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:59 am

"How's the climbing thing work? I'm pretty good at climbing already, maybe Jolly and Jaq?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:10 pm

"And I can fly, don't worry about me. Jolly and Jaq I'd say as well, but we have to go now if we're going. Cast it, and start moving!"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:35 pm

((@Burns, The ravine in 120ft across here. Also spider climb is concentration so you can cast it three times but will have to break concentration on the first casting to cast the second and on the second to cast the third. At this point only the last person it is cast on, which would have to be Joe, will still have it...and then there is the climb up and two people without it.

Going to give NSF and Dlover a chance to chime in here but for those climbing down/up without anything I would like an athletics roll for down and up. Two spider climbers get down for free, in turns, but will then need an athletics up. Flyers, well, have a pleasant trip.))

Jolly walks right to the crumbling edge and looks down and then to the north east, squinting into the wind.

"Climbed before, can able to handle this."

A few drops of rain start pattering around the group.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:40 pm

"Ok, let's go!"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:50 pm

((If the walls are 45', and the floor is 120', then it's a total of ~210', or 7 rounds of movement (or 8.4 for Joe). So would be less than a minute, and if you're able to dash the whole way, each could cross it in 4-5rounds, so less than 30 seconds. It'd mean moving separately, but Joe could cast it on Jaq, move down the wall to the bottom, dash across the bottom, then climb the far side. Jolly next, then Joe follows, with either Lurn or Kroshav going first, the other staying with Joe, and Ves flying over whenever?))

((Couldn't Joe just concentrate long enough for folks to make it all the way across?))
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:54 pm

((But is Kroshav smart enough to come up with that? o:) ))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:12 pm

((Nope, which is why he didn't suggest it! Just pointing out since you mentioned Joe can only concentrate on one at a time to Burns, that she could concentrate longer than just to get down.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:17 pm

((Was just intending to point out the spell limitations but I see your point in that I assumed, perhaps even suggested, a path for a PC. Bad GM!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:19 pm

((I know how much you want to trap us in this flash flood, it's OK! :chuckle: I suppose I could have said it more simply without math, it was a very meta planning post.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:29 pm

((But just think of the tension and excitement if someone falls! :lol:

I'm fine with the meta, I would have done the math too in your position.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:59 am "How's the climbing thing work? I'm pretty good at climbing already, maybe Jolly and Jaq?"
”It allows ye ta climb eas’ly n have yer hands free while doin’ so. Ah have ta wait until ye finish crossin fore Ah cast it again though o ye be fallin’”

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:31 pm

Lurn casts Guidance on either Jaq or Jolly, whoever Joe isn't using Spider Climb on. "If we're going, get going, we can't waste any time here."

Athletics: 1D20+3 = [8]+3 = 11

Maybe I should've save the Guidance for myself.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:36 pm

"Go! All of you! Move! Anyone falls, or the waters come, I'll do what I can."

Ves hurries the group into the ravine, save for Joe and whoever's not going first.

((She'll cross last since she can fly))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Kroshav swings over the edge and makes his way to the bottom.

Athletics Down: 1D20+7 = [8]+7 = 15

He sprints along the bottom of the Cut, looking back as he nears the far side to shout encouragement to the others.

"C'mon, we're almost there!"

Athletics Up: 1D20+7 = [1]+7 = 8

:tfacepalm:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:44 pm

Man did we make the wrong decisions in taking action before all the OOC planning.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:08 am

((Okay, I have Jolly, Jaq and Joe getting spider climb, Ves flying and Lurn and Kroshav climbing down and then up. Looks like I am only missing Lurn's second athletics for the climb up.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:17 am

My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:09 am

Kroshav looks up the ravine before turning and scrambling over the side. It is rife with loose stones and a few a roots that aren't strong enough to bear his weight causing him to slip a few times but he manages to hold on and get to the ravine floor with little more than scratches. Once his feet hit ground he moves full tilt across the hard stone to the far wall churning though the ever growing stream of water near its middle. He turns and yells back encouragement to Jolly who has just reached the floor after initially walking unsteadily, then running down the side of the ravine. Jolly's expression is surprisingly passive considering the situation.

Kroshav throws himself at the wall up as Jolly hops the stream in the middle of the ravine. Kroshav finds a series of handholds and heaves himself up moving quickly. Jolly arrives at the base of the wall and pauses uncertain of the exact process of turning horizontal movement into vertical. He finally decides to lay on his back in the thin layer of mud and start walking up. As Jolly takes his first step up a rock slides out from under Kroshav's foot, which wouldn't have been a problem except it takes a 15ft wide and 10 foot high section of the dirt wall with it and in the matter of a heart beat leaves the dragonborn supporting his weight with a single hand. Jolly curses as dirt and rocks tumble down towards his legs but manages to leap and roll away. Kroshav dangles briefly before half falling, half clawing into the dirt to slow his descent. Jolly gives a shout of,

"Watch out, more's coming down!"

Kroshav looks up and sees that a large section of dirt and stone ravine wall just above the part that already fell, where he had just been hanging, is falling away towards him.

((Dex save please!))

Jolly dex save: 1D20 = [17] = 17

The scattered drops of rain continue.

((This all took about a minute, Jolly was faster than Kroshav but was essentially a couple rounds behind him.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:28 am

Ves watches, worriedly and keeps a very wary eye on the sky.

((Lurn is going at the same time as those two, right? There was no reason for him to wait))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:39 am

((That is up to Dlover I guess? If so I can add him be right after Jolly.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:42 am

((Oh and looks like you posted over in Sundered way about Jaq as well Thinks.))

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:11 am

(At this point Jaq is waiting for Jolly to get back up the cut's other side, then getting the spider climb on him, correct?)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:13 am

((Yep))