Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:26 am

Jaq looks over at Lurn, Joe and Jolly, gives them a wry smile and says, "I guess they are ready for us to go, c'mon." Once the others are ready, he will follow the lady outside to the horses he assumes are for them.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:43 am

The half elf woman is over rubbing the neck of one of the horses whispering to it when Jaq comes out. She turns when everyone else has exited the tavern and gives the horse another affectionate pat.

"Four horses for four riders." She slaps a large saddle bag on the draft horse. "Some food and some gear." Each horse has its own bag. "These are my horses." She makes eye contact with each of the group. "An'they will be coming back to me. Understand?"

Assuming she hears an affirmative she continues,

"Dunno what you need a draft horse for, don't care. Saddle up and get outta town. Take care of my horses."

As people are mounting their horses the half elf slides up beside Jaq and says in a low voice,

"Ya caught Conna's fancy, eh Lord Jaq." She winks at Jaq, "She's just can't wait to see ya again, though ya didn't hear it from me." She has a wide grin on her face as she turns to walk away before pausing as if just remembering some. "Oh an' they'll be a package to grab 'long the road."

((It's been about 40 minutes since Lurn's change.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:39 am

Jaq smiles at the half elf and winks back, "Tell her I'll be out of town for a while, in case you see her. Uncertain how long. And thank you for the horses. We'll try to not let them get eaten by huge winged beasts."
Turning to the others, "You guys need anything else before we leave?"

Once they do head on the road, Jaq will take the rear and will occasionally be watching to make sure they are not being followed. He's not going to worry about it too much in the city, but once outside the gates he will watch more carefully.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:51 am

After everyone has loaded up and headed to gate the run into something Jaq wasn't expecting - a line. The line starts a good distance from the gate, but that is clearly the destination. There are more than 30 wagons between them and the gate. They are going to be waiting a while by the looks of things.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:59 am

"Ah dinnae blame 'em fer leavin' due ta wha' 'appen'dJoe looks at Lurn. "Ye go ahead n try ta get out fer it'd be too late."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:00 am

"Ah dinnae blame 'em fer leavin' due ta wha' 'appen'dJoe looks at Lurn. "Ye go ahead n try ta get out fer it'd be too late."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:45 pm

The old man looks from the corner of eye at Ves and her leg.

"Guess I can give ya a ride back to the road?"

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:03 pm

History: 1D20+1 = [4]+1 = 5

Not sure if they was the right type of roll, but with the numbers it might not matter

----------------------------------------------

Jaq tries to think if he knows of a way to get a person out of the city past the gate quickly if they are not on horseback, just walking?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:06 pm

((Probably straight intelligence but like you said, a 4 ain't cutting it. Honestly though I would give him advantage on the roll as he has lived here many decades. Roll it again.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:14 pm

"Thanks. Is this where you were told to bring me? Doesn't look like much of a meeting point."

She shrugs and ponders where the nearest roadhouse is.

((Ves's outlander feature means she has a general idea of where she is most of the time. Since she's probably familiar-ish with the region, would she know where the nearest inns and such are?))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:55 pm

The old man nods,

"This is where I deliver shit to. Not much reason to be here. Probably why they had me bring ya here."

((Ves can still just make out Stenrek in the distance, the nearest roadhouse is going to be in about a half a days walk to the north. Town is only a little more than an hour walk south.))
---
Jaq knows there is a much smaller walking gate beside the larger gate, though it isn't always open. There was some rule about when it could be open but can't quite remember what it was. From where they are now he can't see if the gate is open or not.

((Jaq would have remembered the walking gate with the 5, but the that pesky rule...Just not something Jaq needed to know.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:16 pm

Ves shrugs.

"You know, I think I'll keep off the road for a bit. Do you know if there's a well or stream or anything near here? I'll could do with cleaning the worst of this slime off before the smell sticks forever."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:30 pm

When he's told about the walking gate, Lurn takes a look at the line and climbs down from his horse, handing the reigns to Jaq, "If I can't get out and decently far from the city in twenty minutes there'll be trouble, unless I can hide away somewhere. If I do hide somewhere, it will take an hour to recuperate before I can make another attempt. Some of us, at least, need to make it out to go meet her, so I'll go on my own."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:24 am

The old man gestures with his chin back at the houses.

"They got a well. Ya get used to the smell."

The old man goes to the box and tips it on its side to let the filth drain out and shakes his head. He picks up the lid of the box and pokes his pinky in the hole and looks over at Ves' leg.

He tosses the lid up on the wagon and looks at Ves as he is lifting one end of the box,

"Ya mind?"

((He is asking for help lifting the box up))

---

Lurn moves towards the larger gate passing wagons loaded with assorted goods. As he gets nearer to the front he sees that there is a checkpoint at the gate and four guards are thoroughly examining each wagon. A pile of hay coming into town is let through without problem but some food waste leaving is stabbed at viciously with a pitched fork. Two soldiers are also there but not engaging in the checks. They seem to mostly just be scanning the lined up individuals. As Lurn approaches another guard off to the side, not helping with the inspections, gestures him towards another line of people heading out a smaller gate. Still another guard is moving up and down the line asking questions while a final guard stands beside the entrance of small gate. The gate by the entrance to the small gate is dressed differently from the rest of the guards.

The line is moving fairly quickly and the guard moving up and down the line comes to Lurn and asks in a bored voice,

"Name, occupation, reason for leaving Stenrek and final destination."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:53 am

"I am Larry, a priest on pilgrimage. My journey knows no true end, though the place I shall next settle for a long time shall be the Salmar Hegemony."

Lurn Deception: 1D20+1 = [16]+1 = 17

Is it possible to cast Guidance on himself without it being noticed? If so, would be doing so for an extra 1d4 on the deception.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:58 am

((I will say that while the words and movement would absolutely be noticeable if Lurn did it in front of the guard but Lurn would have seen them coming up the line and had a chance to do it discretely, give me a slight of hand and beat a 12 if you want to try.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:20 am

((I forgot I could check what components the spell has to work out that sort of thing. Still, roughly 50% odds for an extra 1d4 isn't really worth it, so I'll pass.))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:42 am

The guard looks Lurn up and down, nods and walks to speak with the people behind Lurn muttering,

"What kinda name is Larry?"

After about 5 minutes Lurn is nearly to the gate where the differently dressed guard is waiting. Up close Lurn recognizes the guard's uniform to be that of the Prefect's personal guards. The guard is stopping people and looking at them for moment before asking, in a far more attentive way,

"When did you enter Stenrek and what have you done here?"

After which he has them give him their hand which he clasps before sending them through the gate. Lurn steps forward and the guard looks him up and down, not seeming to notice anything, and asks question and extends his gloved hand.

---
The rest of the group have moved forward a little bit.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:19 am

"Sure"

Ves helps.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:36 am

The old man gives you a nod and moves around to the front of the wagon and hops up.

"Can give ya a lift to the well?"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:14 am

((Hm. The hand clasping... Is a problem. Maybe.))

"Three days ago, since which time I have been tending the ill in the slums." He glances at the hand, "Searching for an illusion user, are you?" He reaches to take the extended hand, "I do hope it isn't one of my firbolg kin you're seeking. The youngsters always seem to be causing a ruckus."

Lurn Deception: 1D20+1 = [14]+1 = 15

(Welp, let's hope that's enough to convince this guy that there'd be multiple firbolgs around, 'cause there's no convincing him of anything else, I'd wager. I could maybe have hoped that he'd be too focused on the people in front of Lurn to notice Guidance being cast, but I had a feeling I'd be pushing my luck to hope for three good rolls.)
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:26 am

The guard takes Lurns hand and an odd expression comes over his face as it appears he is grasping air around Lurn's hand. He releases Lurn's hand and puts his hand on the hilt of his rapier before saying loudly,

"Drop the illusion and explain why you move about disguised."

The guard checking the line turns and begins moving towards Lurn.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:39 am

Do we notice the issue Lurn is having from back in the wagon line?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:43 am

Probably not but roll me a perception.