Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:49 pm

Jaq steps from around the others and sends an arrow into the south most hobgoblin, catching it completely off its guard. It stumbles forward before collapsing dead into a puddle.

The big hob moves north a few steps drawing his great sword and cuts down the wounded bugbear and bellows in goblin,
► Show Spoiler
He glares at the bugbear beside Ves as he moves forward and swings at her, taking advantage of her distraction to land a devastating cut.

Big hob attack and damage on Ves with martial advantage: 1D20+4 = [19]+4 = 23
2D6+2 = [2, 3]+2 = 7
3D6 = [5, 5, 6] = 16

Initiative:
Jaq
Big hob
Joe <-----
Lurn
Kroshav
Group 6
Group 3
Group 4
Jolly
Ves (-8 HP or KO'd)
Group 2
Group 7
Group 5
Group 1

((Luck point from Ves? Otherwise she is going to take 23 damage and get dropped. Big hob ain't messing around.
The hut is significantly larger than all the others in the village, the walls are eight feet tall and the roof slants gradually up to be nearly eleven feet tall. It also looks to be some sort of grass?

No new map but the southmost hob is dead along with the bugbear by the building beside Big hob. Big hob has also moved to SW of Ves.

Oh and the hobs besides Big hob all have shields, chainmail and longswords.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:02 pm

Is the green one dead? And including the leader, how many hobs can she get with shatter?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:09 pm

((Green one is Big hob who is very much alive. Shatter? Including Ves 4, it would be two hobs and two bugbears. Excluding Ves only two, a bugbear and Big hob.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:40 pm

Hmmm. Don't want to accidentally kill ves....I guess Eldrich blasting the big boi.

[1d20+5] = 7+5 = 12[1d10] = 4

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:21 pm

((yes, luck please...))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:45 pm

Lurn will quickly cast about for a few small rocks. If there are any, he'll aim to snatch them up and cast Magic Stone on them before throwing one at the big hob.

Magic Stone: 1D20+5 = [16]+5 = 21
1D6+5 = [1]+5 = 6

If there are no stones, then it'll be Toll The Dead instead.
TTD: 1D8 = [1] = 1
1D12 = [7] = 7

Man these are some trash damage rolls considering I'm pretty sure big hob won't be hurt.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:45 am

Big hob's powerful attack just misses Ves.

Big hob luck roll 2: 1D20+4 = [10]+4 = 14

---
Joe moves west until she can see Big hob and fires off a bolt of energy that flies by him. Lurn follows his small companion, scooping up some rocks, and hurls one at Big hob striking him on his shoulder and eliciting a grunt.

((You two moving back to the east at all?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:47 am

((Lurn isn't.))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:16 am

(Yep. Back to hide behind hut)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:28 am

((Kroshav is up!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:49 am

Kroshav runs up and whiffs at the big hob.

Warpick: 1D20+7 = [1]+7 = 8

((Bless wouldn't have helped that hit, but would have at least been useful!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:21 pm

Kroshav moves forward and, eschewing his new sword, takes a big swing with the tried and true warpick. Unfortunately the dragonborn slides a bit in mud and instead sinks the pick into the dirt beside Big hob. Big hob is unimpressed.

Another hob and bugbear respectively sprint from the NW, the bugbear being pushed into place beside Ves and the hobgoblin sliding in beside Big hob, neither have time to strike. On the other side of the hut a pair of hobs move in to pin the party in.

The bugbear paired with the now dead hob moves forward to engage Lurn. It hesitates but catches a glare from the nearest hob and swings, clearly telegraphing its attack allowing Lurn to step back. ((Meant to swing with disadvantage but didn't matter))

Bugbear attack and damage on Lurn: 1D20+4 = [3]+4 = 7
2D8+2 = [1, 5]+2 = 8

Jolly straps on his shield and yells at the oncoming hobgoblins,

"Come on! Seen worse an ya an I owe ya!"

Initiative:
Jaq
Big hob
Joe
Lurn
Kroshav
Group 6
Group 3
Group 4
Jolly
Ves (-8 HP) <-----
Group 2
Group 7
Group 5
Group 1

((Changed the color on the bugbears to orange to differentiate them.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:57 pm

Ves disengages and backs inside the hut, towards the goblin prisoners. She'll check out what kinds of bars or whatever are holding them while she shouts to them in goblin:

"We're here to help. If you don't want to die, get ready to fight the hobgoblins!"

Perception: 1D20+3 = [10]+3 = 13

((If investigation is more appropriate, it's the straight roll +0))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:25 am

Ves disengages from the many, many enemies around her and steps into the hut. It is literally packed with goblins. From a quick glance she would guess there are no less than thirty and most of them are elderly, female or younglings. The few males in hut are various levels of bloodied and one is slumped against a wall and isn't doing well. She spots no bars but does see that the walls are thicker than she expected with a few larger logs built in.

Her call to arms is met with screams and looks of confusion. One elderly female looks over and squints an appraising eye at Ves and says loudly,

"Ain't many fighters left guess I don't want to die." She rises unsteadily from the ground right as a hobgoblin, the one Ves hit before, slams in behind Ves and slashes at her but whose longsword catches on a wall just missing a few goblins. More screams erupt at this.

Attack and damage against Ves in hut: 1D20+4 = [5]+4 = 9
1D8+2 = [6]+2 = 8

Outside the hut the bugbear to the north of where Ves was moves down and strikes at Kroshav managing to hit the swamped dragonborn but the attack doesn't have much power to it.

Attack and damage against Kroshav: 1D20+4 = [19]+4 = 23
2D8+2 = [1, 2]+2 = 5

On the far side of the hut from Kroshav another hob and bugbear rush in behind the others and the first hob reaches Jolly and with a roar swings at the older human. Jolly catches the sword using a on his shield with a well practiced move and roars back.

Attack and damage against Jolly: 1D20+4 = [10]+4 = 14
1D8+2 = [3]+2 = 5

Initiative:
Jaq <-----
Big hob
Joe
Lurn
Kroshav (-5 HP)
Group 6
Group 3
Group 4
Jolly
Ves (-8 HP)
Group 2
Group 7
Group 5
Group 1

((Ves and the hob are in the hut not on the hut...))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:56 am

((Posting now, as I'll be in lab for the morning.))

Kroshav remembers the new sword he hasn't gotten a chance to try out and drops his pick against the hut, swinging at the big boss hob.

Sword: 1D20+7 = [7]+7 = 14
1D8+7 = [3]+7 = 10

((Yay Jolly, boo sub average rolls from Kroshav! Are Ves and Lurn the only two keyed into the bugbears not being all that interested if fighting us? Kroshav has the sentinel thing that lets him take a swing at anyone within reach that attacks someone else.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:24 am

((for later in case I get busy))

"Get out of there if you can, and get out!"

Ves turns to engage the hobgoblin, bellowing in goblin (for the benefit of the bugbears and goblins): "Better to die fighting than waiting to be cut down in a cage! Fight!"

2H attack: 1D20+6 = [6]+6 = 12

UA attack: 1D20+5 = [2]+5 = 7

Great rolls.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:29 am

((Ves 100% knows and I would say that Lurn and Kroshav have a good idea that the bugbears aren't entirely willing participants based on Big hob killing one of them.

Ya'll are gonna die if you don't roll better soon. :shock: ))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:57 am

"It seems the bugbears are being forced, if we slay the hobgoblins the battle will be over."
When Lurn's turn rolls around he's going to huck another stone at the big hob and hope the bugbears are reluctant enough that the one in front of him won't take advantage of it for an opening.

Magic Stone: 1D20+5 = [2]+5 = 7
1D6+5 = [4]+5 = 9

Dice say no to rolling better.

((Posting an action now 'cause I won't be able to for like... Well over 12 hours. no Bless right now since I think Lurn can only see kroshav and Joe, so kinda a waste.))

((Also keep in mind Lurn still doesn't have his shield on.))
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:04 am

((Hopefully Lurn can soon get a trio of goblins to ride on his back and throw stones for him...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:38 am

((They just got to make it through a few hobs and a couple of bugbears to do that!

Also Jaq is up, just people posted a little early.))

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:01 am

(Sorry, was totally tied up at work so far today!)

Jaq will move south five feet and fire at the enemy attacking Jolly.

Longbow attack: 1D20+8 = [17]+8 = 25

Longbow damage with sneak attack: 1D8+6+2D6 = [5]+6+[1, 5] = 17

He will yell, "Goblins, we are here to free you! Kill the HOBS!"
He will then move 5 feet west and hide.

Stealth: 1D20+9 = [16]+9 = 25

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:29 am

Jaq pops out from the shadows of the hut somehow and sinks an arrow into the hob in front of Jolly's eye crumpling her without a sound. The nimble elf merges back into the shadows.

Big hob yells in goblin to the bugbear north of him and then more widely,
► Show Spoiler
Before turning his attention to Kroshav and hammer two quick attacks that the dragonborn is able to block with shield and sword.
Initiative:
Jaq
Big hob
Joe <-----
Lurn
Kroshav (-5 HP)
Group 6
Group 3
Group 4
Jolly
Ves (-8 HP)
Group 2
Group 7
Group 5
Group 1

((No one moved but Jaq and no worries NSF, wasn't rushing you just helping since several others had posted.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:51 am

Okay, including big hob and getting as few bugbears as possible, how many are there in a 10’ radius?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:55 am

((Including Big hob, 2. But if you want to get 2 hobs, not including Big hob, you can shatter the ones north of Jolly.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:55 pm

Hmmm. Joe will magic missile big hob and use her bonus action to misty step on top of the hut then go prone.

Magic missile [3d4+3] = 7+3 = 10