Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:02 pm

((Just a heads up that you're typically not able to cast two leveled spells in the same turn, one would have to be a cantrip. So could firebolt and misty step, but not mm and misty step.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:13 pm

((Yep, thanks Spider. What do you want to do Burns?))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:17 pm

(Oooh I forgot about that. I thought since Misty was bonus it was fine. Hmmm....I think Joe will MM this turn and next turn she’ll misty)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:29 pm

((You had the action economy right, there's just an additional restriction that if you're casting two spells on your turn, at least one of them has to be a cantrip.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:12 pm

Big hob grunts at the impacts of the three force bolts and casts an angry eye back at Joe which allows him to see the attack from Kroshav and swipe it away with the arm guard of his armor. Lurn chucks a rock in Big hob's general direction but manages to only hit dirt several dozen feet away.

The bugbear north of the hut steps inside the hut and over a few goblins that have mostly begun to press themselves against the walls and away from the fighting. Looking around the room the bugbear steps to the side hobgoblin engaged with Ves. The hob gives the bugbear a glance and a jerks its head towards Ves. Growling the bugbear pulls back its morningstar and swings at the hob, unfortunately the mace catches on the ceiling and blow misses the now aware hobgoblin. Ves follows up with two attacks but the hob is too prepared and the space they are fighting to cramped and she misses with both. It yells out in goblin,
► Show Spoiler
and then proceeds to swing at Ves but is just as hindered by the close confines and misses.
Outside the hobgoblin west of Kroshav takes a swing with its long sword that the distracted dragonborn is unable to block in time. Blood runs freely from a deep wound up Kroshav's arm. Whatever was yelled from within the hut has caused the bugbear north of Kroshav to look nervously at Big hob and it makes a show of swinging at Kroshav, which misses.
Two hobgoblins on the other side of the hut reach Jolly and both attack but their human opponent swats aside their long swords with a surprising amount of ease before roaring again and hacking viciously into the neck of one of the hobs dropping it. As it falls another hobgoblin fills its place and a bugbear moves in behind it. The new hobgoblin swings at Jolly but once again the human reflexively raises his shield and blocks the blow.
The bugbear facing Lurn shifts from foot to foot and lifts its morningstar but doesn't attack as it checks how much it is being watched (readied attack for a condition).

Initiative:
Jaq <-----
Big hob
Joe
Lurn
Kroshav (-18 HP)
Group 6
Group 3
Group 4
Jolly
Ves (-8 HP)
Group 2
Group 7
Group 5
Group 1

((Well that was a heck of an update. Since I had everyone's actions I just described everything more or less happening at once, though the actions still followed turn order. Jolly is doing well!))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:19 am

Lurn glances at the bugbear beside him, "Just off them first and they can't harm you. Or stay out of our way."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:02 am

Joe flings an eldrich blast at the big hob before misty steping onto the big hut and going prone.

Eldrich [1d20+5] = 10+5 = 15[1d10] = 7

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:09 am

In common Ves yells out: "Don't attack the bugbears! We all have a common enemy!"

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:13 am

Longbow attack: 1D20+8 = [7]+8 = 15

Arrow damage and sneak damage: 1D8+6+2D6 = [7]+6+[5, 2] = 20

((Let's hope 15 hits!))

Jaq will step 5 feet east and fire at the hobgoblin directly in front of Jolly.
He will then retreat again and end 5 feet west and 5 feet south.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:12 am

((Since I'm about to sleep, action now;))

Lurn utters a Healing Word for Kroshav, and throws his final magic stone at the big hob.
Healing Word: 1D4+5 = [4]+5 = 9
Magic Stone: 1D20+5 = [11]+5 = 16
1D6+5 = [3]+5 = 8
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:10 am

Jaq pops back out of the shadows and sends an arrow pinging off a startled hob's shield. The hob spots Jaq and yells,
► Show Spoiler
Big hob straightens and looks to the east seemingly trying to see through the hut and says in common,

"Enough."

He swings ineffectually at Kroshav, who is feeling better as the blood dripping from his wounds slows. Big hob starts assessing the battle around him more closely and easily dodges both a rock and an Eldritch blast.
Joe pops up on top of the hut.

Initiative:
Jaq
Big hob
Joe
Lurn
Kroshav (-9 HP)<-----
Group 6
Group 3
Group 4
Jolly
Ves (-8 HP)
Group 2
Group 7
Group 5

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:22 am

"I agree. ENOUGH!"

Buoyed by Jolly's victorious shouts, Kroshav joins the fight and swings at the big hobgoblin.

Sword: 1D20+7 = [12]+7 = 19 vs AC
Damage: 1D8+7 = [8]+7 = 15 slashing damage

Divine Smite: 2D8 = [1, 4] = 5 Radiant damage

((I'm sure you're all over it, but (assuming a 19 hits) this is the first time he'll have hit anything with the new sword, and so far has no inkling what it does. Here's hoping it doesn't heal the hobo for 20 HP... :roll: ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:33 am

Kroshav responds to Big hob's threats and bad aim with a deep cut and blast of holy light that leaves the now very injuried hobgoblin blinking but still on his feet. He growls and begins shouting orders to those around him.

The new sword doesn't seem to have done anything special. At least not that Kroshav notices.

((More soon))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:38 am

((It's sharp and cutty, that's good enough for him!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:33 pm

Inside the hut the bugbear attempts to hit the hobgoblin in front of Ves, this time doing well enough that the hobgoblin needs to block with its shield but still not doing any damage.
Outside the hut the hobgoblin west of Kroshav nods to a command from Big hob and tries to exploit an opening but Kroshav twists and blocks it in time. The bugbear beside Lurn moves south to the wall and attempts to climb the wall but is so busy looking over his shoulder at the hobs that he runs into the wall and stuns himself.
On the other side of the hut the hobgoblin NE of Jolly swings and catches him out of position scoring a deep cut on the man's hip down to his knee. Jolly stumbles to the right but manages to hold himself up on the wall. Gritting his teeth he straightens, ignores the damage which was apparently not as bad as it looked, and returns the attack cutting a deep gash in the hob's arm and yells as he attempts to finish the hob off but misses.

Initiative:
Jaq
Big hob
Joe
Lurn
Kroshav (-9 HP)
Group 6
Group 3
Group 4
Jolly (-7 HP)
Ves (-8 HP) <----
Group 2
Group 7
Group 5

((No one has really moved so no new map.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:57 pm

Ves bellows and attacks the hobgoblin in front of her again, but she's really not having a good day...

Attacks: 1D20+6 = [3]+6 = 9
1D20+5 = [8]+5 = 13

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:13 pm

Ves still doesn't manage to land another blow on the hob in front of her and the hob responds in turn by missing back. The goblins around the hut are beginning to stand up and look around despite the many, many misses happening.
The hobgoblin directly north tries to take advantage of Jolly's injury but the human is more than prepared for it and moves surprisingly quickly away despite the damage to his leg.
Initiative:
Jaq <----
Big hob
Joe
Lurn
Kroshav (-9 HP)
Group 6
Group 3
Group 4
Jolly (-7 HP)
Ves (-8 HP)
Group 2
Group 7
Group 5

((Honestly, someone in the hut needs to hit something.))

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:31 pm

Longbow attack: 1D20+8 = [20]+8 = 28

_: 1D8+6+2D6 = [2]+6+[1, 1] = 10

CRIT extra damage!: 1D8+2D6 = [1]+[1, 5] = 7

Jaq will move to get a direct line of fire and then shoot at the hob in front of Jolly. He will then Taunt the remain Hobgoblin, "Come get me you fat loser Hobby." and then move back to 10 feet south of where his marker is now on the map.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:32 pm

Jaq puts an arrow through the hob directly in front of Jolly's shield, dropping him with a shocked look on his face. Please with his shot he moves back a short distance and calls to the remaining hob on this side of the hut and is quite certain he has its attention based on the gesture it throws him.

Big hob calls out,
► Show Spoiler
The remaining visible hobs all quickly call out something and a call comes from the west.

Big hob looks even angrier if that was possible and yells,
► Show Spoiler
As he disengages and moves away.

Initiative:
Jaq
Big hob
Joe <----
Lurn
Kroshav (-9 HP)
Group 6
Group 3
Group 4
Jolly (-7 HP)
Ves (-8 HP)
Group 2
Group 7
Group 5

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:56 am

((Kroshav gets an opportunity attack even when opponents disengage, due to Sentinel.))

Sentinel Opportunity Attack: 1D20+7 = [5]+7 = 12

((But he unfortunately misses. :( ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:02 am

((This could have been a real nail biter of a fight but no one on either side can land a hit and have it stick.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:47 am

Joe uses magic missile on the big hob. Magic missile [3d4+3] = 6+3 = 9

Good thing mm never misses then!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:23 am

((Sleep soon, posting actions now.))

If the big hob is still up after Joe's attack, Lurn focuses on the escaping target, deciding to focus on delaying him rather than unreliable attacks. Gesturing, and hoping the earth away from the walls is soft enough after the rain the day before, he casts Mold Earth - Excavating the dirt under the big hob.
Has to fit in a 5' cube, so... Wide enough to catch the big hob and as deep as possible. The excavated dirt will be moved... South, I suppose.

((And now we wait for how Rodgeir interprets "Instantaneously excavate" and "movement doesn't have enough force to cause damage." Place your bets, folks, will the spell fail because of the ground being too solid, will it make a hole and drop the big hob in, or will it drag the hob with it when it moves?
As for why I'm doing this? Well, partly because it's creative and interesting, partly because I expect the guy can make the Dex and Wis saves for my auto-hit spells and all the to-hit rolls this fight have been bad.))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:48 am

Big hob gets hit by three more darts of magical energy and only barely stays on his feet. Any look of anger on his face having been replaced with deep concern. Lurn focuses on the dirt beneath the haggard looking hob and shifts the top several inches of mud to the side, leaving a confused but unharmed hobgoblin standing in a shallow hole on dry compacted soil.

((Sorry Lurn, it was a good idea but the ground inside the walls is going to be packed hard a ways down even after a big rain storm.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:07 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler