Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:17 am

If she is going to be a spoiled elf brat, yes, Jaq will certainly translate for Joe.

"I...well we, (He motions towards Joe) will make certain you stay safe. By the sounds of it, people are beginning to awaken from the magic that hit Stenrek. It might not be the safest place to be out on the streets for a bit." Looking over at Joe he asks, "Can you lock the door to the store please, so we won't have random angry people to deal with?"
Back to the girl, in common. "My name is Jaq'maeriin Nailo. I live here in Stenrek, also. This is Joe. She helped to keep you safe when you were unconscious. She fought for you against kidnappers. You owe her respect."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:25 am

Ves shrugs.

"I hear about lots of places. Some real, some imagined. Lots of ruins. Why'd you ask?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:59 am

She nods and rises, brushing herself off and straightening her dress.

(still Elvish)

"I am Lady Denalius Mer'Nonavin."

Upon hearing her name Jaq puts the insignia on the uniforms together with how he knows it. She is related to one of the city's three councilors, Grelinav Mer'Nonavin. By her age he'd guess granddaughter.

She gives Joe a slightly distasteful look before smoothing her features,

"Your servant has my thanks. How long may I expect to wait here? You said the Prefect's guards were not impacted? Why did they not come for me?"
----
Jolly shrugs,

"Might be planning a trip an' I ain't ever really been outside of town. Guessing you're outside my range since you are passing out three month's pay like it's nothing."
----
As Jolly offers the mug again voices can be heard outside, a ways from the warehouse door. They are muffled but there is a questioning tone to most of what can be heard.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:29 pm

In common.
"Joe is not my servant. I know not all Elves think this way, unfortunately, but all peoples are equal. It is how you act and live your life and treat your family and others that shows how good of a person you are. Not your race or upbringing. Hopefully as you grow older, and deal with other non-elves outside of this insulated city, you will learn the truth of that." This is said rather curtly.
His face then brightens a bit and his tone becomes more friendly. "I do not know what the Prefect's guards are doing or not doing, I wish I did. It seems they are not leaving the palace to help anyone in the city. It also seems like the Prefect is no longer in the city. I find that troubling, too." (he purposefully drops that tidbit and hopes she is bright enough to tell her grandfather about that)

"Let us just wait a bit for your guards to awaken. You are safe here for now, and I'm not certain we two could keep you safe in the streets if there were a mob scene. Once your guards awaken, we can continue to assist you until you get home, if you like, or we will move on. Either way though, we need to give information to your guards about your abductors."
He looks over to Joe to see if she has anything to add.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:34 pm

Joe gets up to lock the door, trying to ignore the racism of the elven child. "It's lock'd, but we'd best find a more secure place in 'ere, with what seems ta be a riot.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Denalius' spine seems straighten and her checks flush at Jaq's scolding.

"You are lucky you have, supposedly, saved me from kidnappers. I will not tell mother or grandfather about how you've spoken to me," she huffs.

Her anger seems to fade as Jaq speaks of the Prefect and the guards.

"Who is running the Prefect's estate then? Surely it is one of the city counsel? Surely they would seek to help."

She sniffs a bit and looks around the shop. "We can wait if we must but I am hungry." She walks over to a table with small treats and picks one up and eats it. Picking up a cup she gestures towards a pitcher on a table and looks expectantly at Jaq.

((It doesn't sound so much like a riot as a large number of people waking up confused on the street and calling/yelling to each other. There are lights being lit, probably due to the dark and the fog.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Ves laughs.

"Nah, it just depends on the client. Rich folks get suspicious of folk who charge too cheap. Poorer folk mostly just pay what they can. Hell, sometimes I'll just travel with folk because they're good company, and they're safe. I don't have a lot of use for gold on the road. Monsters'll try and eat you just the same whether you're rich or not."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:52 pm

"Ah would rath'r ye be 'ungry than dead." Joe looks at the picher and frowns. "Ye probl'y dinnae wanna drink tha wat'r fer a while, it was taint'd. Ah'm not sure if it'd be safe yet." Joe summons Ruby to herself. "If ye want, Ah can 'ave me bird test tha wat'rs fer ye first. But Ah want ta 'ear it from yeself."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:03 pm

Jolly looks at a figure laying on the floor of the warehouse that Ves knows to be his boss.

"Tell you what, if you want to make back that five gold plus," he puts his hand in a pocket and feels around a bit, "about two more in change I may have got a job for you when you get a chance."
---
Denalius looks initially irritated then shocked then finally digusted as the parrot appears.

Her lips twisting with seeming effort and distaste she says in common, with a very thick accent,

"The pisher ice filled wit wine. Kep yur bard awey fram it."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:07 pm

"Oh yeah? What's the job?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:28 pm

"Trip to those ruins an' hopefully back."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:45 pm

"'Ow was I suppos'd ta know it be wine?" Ruby looks at the treats and hops to them, helping himself.

(Is it possible to use shape water on wine and other liquids?)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:51 pm

"All right. Know any more about it? 7 gold is a lot to pay for sightseeing."

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:54 pm

Jaq opens his mouth, and then thinks twice and closes it again before saying what was on his mind. He forgot just how pompous some of the elves can act.
"Yeah, wine is safe to drink, just none of the water that had been pulled from the wells earlier. It should be cleaned up now, so further well water will be good."

"I do not know who is running the estate with the Prefect gone, but no, they have sent no one out to help the city. A few friends and I didn't drink water this morning and were unaffected, so we did what we could to keep some semblance of order."

Jaq gives a smile to Joe, thankful for her attitude, even with Denalius' comments.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:50 am

Jolly gives a mirthless chuckle.

"Some sights are worth it. This one may have something I been looking to see for a while or it could be a waste of 7 gold. May be something there will catch your eye too."

---
Seeing no one is going to fill her cup she pours it herself. Angrily.

"We will wait for the guards to awaken and depart to find answers."

After about another hour of awkward silence the rest of elves start stirring. The voices in the street also have increased.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:40 am

"All right. If we get through this, I'll come back and we can discuss the plans in more detail."

((Later, whenever they hear the voice start:))

"Hey, sh! Did you hear that? Sounds like voices..."

Ves moves to the door and tries to hear more of what's being said.

Perception: 1D20+3 = [13]+3 = 16

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:02 am

Ves hears snippets of conversations and people asking questions as they move by the warehouse door.

"What happened? What is with..."

"What time is it?"

"... seen her."

"...best to light it up..."

"...people sleeping inside..."

"...fog?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:09 am

She turns back to the others.

"I think folk are starting to wake up. Lurn, I think that's our cue to go and help explain what we know. Let's get to the barracks."

If he agrees, Ves will pack up her gear and head out with Lurn towards the barracks.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:17 am

While Joe is waiting on the guards to wake up, she looks at the brat, confused. "Why ye'd be angry?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:46 am

Denalius pouts and doesn't respond. She seems to be pretending that Joe and Ruby are not present. Having found a seat she stares straight ahead, out through the broken window into the fog with a stoic, pained look on her face.

((This kind of reaction from elves is likely with Joe's prior experiences. Probably not from someone she just helped save though.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:00 pm

Joe sighs loudly, "Ye know, Ah was 'opin' it would be diff'rent cause ye were young'r. But ye been told tha us non elves ain't worth nothin fer so long ye believe it. Ah dinnae think ye treatin' us tha way ye are us goin ta end 'ell fer ye. 'Spessi'ly aft'r tha non elves find out wha the prefect want'd tha alchm'st ta make."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:04 pm

Denalius turns her head towards Joe and narrows her eyes and says in accented common,

"Are yoo thrantning me? Are yoo thrantning thee elves ov Stenbrek?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:57 pm

"Nay. I 'ave no reas'n ta. But it seems tha prefect wishes ta threat'n non elves. If 'is plan bears fruit, Ah fear thar maybeh anoth'r war."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:02 pm

She at Joe sceptically and looks at her waking guards,

"Yoo will sun be abel tew explan tew may granfasher."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:35 pm

"Good." Joe gets up as the guards wake up, looking outside. "Ruby, Ah want ye ta fly above us n try ta spot enem's"
"RWww Enem's!"
Joe looks at the lady "Ye'd probl'y be saf'st in tha middle o tha group."