Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:56 am

Jolly struggles a bit as he processes what Ves said before saying,

"Shit? This," he rubs his hands around in the white goo on his chest, "is shit?" He starts laughing, a mixture of relief and something a bit less controlled.

Another hatch opens east of the group, 60 feet away and a larger head pokes out (and gets shot at by Joe?).

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:11 am

((if the shot is fired:))

"Shit...! Watch the flames! Don't set this place on fire!"

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:28 am

"Hold on, they may not have been attacking us. This could have all been just a mindless thing they do and we were in the way. Let's not start a fight with a whole hive of...whatever these things are."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:05 am

Seeing that the tunnel is empty, Joe stops holding her foames and starts cleaning the two off with presigigitation.

"If it does that again Ah will."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:18 am

The new larger creature seems to be focused entirely on Kroshav but it's head moves in a jerking motion when Jaq, Ves and Joe talk. It makes an odd chittering noise followed by a metal on metal scraping sound. A few seconds later Kroshav hears an answering scraping noise from the darkness in the tunnel he is standing over, definitely closer than before.

Jolly is cough/chuckling as he is cleaned by Joe and doesn't seem to notice.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:41 am

Kroshav pauses with one foot ready to jump down the tunnel. "But... they POOED on me!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:21 am

Seeing the "hatch" that Kroshav has found, Ves looks for more of the same.

"Look for where they're coming up and cover their tunnels! Might be we can catch whatever thinks this is funny."

Nope.
Perception: 1d20+3 = [1] = 4

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:48 am

Ves has a hard time looking around when she notices the one looking at Kroshav fix it's unfathomable gaze on her as it crawls out of the hatch on six long, pointed legs until the full length of it's bluish grey body is above ground beside the hatch. It crawls out with breaking it's gaze. It stands utterly still.

Another tooth filled insectiod head pokes up out of the hole the first emerged from. It chitters it's teeth together in an unsettling fashion. The first does the same and Kroshav hears more from the tunnel he is standing over and is certain he spots another moving slowly up the tunnel.

The tunnel Lurn saw with the smaller insectiods opens and three smaller versions look out. The larger one that is completely out of the ground twists it's gaze towards the littler ones and squeals like metal dragging on metal and the three little ones disappear again.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:00 am

"Well, they're not attacking... What ARE they?"

nature:
1d20 = [4] = 4

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:13 am

"What's the big idea with pooing on folks?", Kroshav says grumpily, before letting the lid fall closed and backing up. He'll raise his shield and circle to the hinge side, holding pick ready should any offer violence... or if they poo on him again.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:22 am

Ves determines they are giant gods damned bugs.

Jolly has sombered from his fit at the sight of the creature.

As Kroshav closes the hatch the toothy insectiod with its head sticking up chitters again and a chittering responds below it.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:31 am

Nature [1d20+2] = 5+2 = 7

Spiders. Yep. Damned spiders.

"So can Ah burn em?"

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:56 am

"They are not attacking, at least not yet, let's just get moving and maybe get out of the area of their hive."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:58 am

That seems reasonable to Kroshav, and unless ordered not to, he'll continue backing up in the direction they were originally heading, gesturing for others to get on the other side of him and playing rear guard.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:22 pm

Nature: 1d20-1 = [14] = 13
Perception: 1d20+7 = [7] = 14

Not understanding a sound these things are making, Lurn backs up with the group, casting about to ensure they aren't moving toward more hatches, and relies on his natural communication ability (Speech of Beast and Leaf) to get his meaning across as he speaks, hoping that however foreign these creatures are, the natural magic of firbolgs will reach them, "You leave us be, we leave you be. Not enemies."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:54 pm

"Yeah, let's go." Ves points in an exaggerated gesture away from the hatches and weird bugs and heads away with the others.

"Sorry to disturb!"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:54 am

Another insectiod emerges from the earthen hatch just closed by Kroshav. It chitters but doesn't move any closer. Lurn guides the group north through the large mushrooms and doesn't see anymore hatches. The insectiods give no sign of having understood Lurn.

The first insectiod out looks between Lurn and then Ves. Ves' exaggerated arm movements cause hair like spines to rise on its back but as she moves away the spines lay flush and become nearly invisible against it's carapace.

None of the insectiods move, aggressively or otherwise, except to chitter and make scraping noises as the party move slowly away. After 200 ft the chittering behind them suddenly stops and only the rain falling on trees can be heard along with Jolly's heavy breathing.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:10 am

"You ok Jolly?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:28 am

"Gonna heave breakfast soon but gonna put that off bout a minute." He he spits and gags but keeps stumbling along after Lurn and Kroshav. Far less than a minute later he impressively vomits to the side without breaking stumbling stride. He repeats the process a few times before wiping his mouth with his arm.

"Those things was spiders? The hells is with this place and spiders."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:40 am

"Probably not actual spiders. Something like them, maybe."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:43 am

"Ya manage to talk to'm? Ya said you could talk with animals. Are spider things animals?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:53 am

"Beats me, but let chalk this one up to accidental trespassing on our part and be glad it didn't go worse."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:57 am

"I can make myself understood, but not the other way around. Where a beast may hear the tone of your voice, they will know the meaning in what I say. Those things didn't seem to react, though, if I was getting any sort of read on their behaviour. That's why I don't think they were really spiders. Spiders would understand me. Saw that with the spider demo- What did everyone call them? Ettercaps?"
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:30 am

Ves nods and waits for Jolly to stop vomiting.

"You know, I think we could use a ten-minute break and regroup a little."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:42 am

"Uh, we far enough away?"